Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

I love my job (jk work is balls)

Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Social Entropy++
in fact I love it so much, I don't even need to get paid for it

which is exactly what's happening! at least until the sixteenth. because apparently payment information for all your employees isn't that important and gets tossed around a lot. and gets lost! so instead of getting paid today like I am supposed to I will have to wait about a week.

so what about you guys? enjoying your respective jobs and/or careers? bosses done anything annoying lately, or are they so awesome they practically radiate cool?

welcome to the job thread make yourself at home

Vann Diras on

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mrpaku wrote: »
    the girl who just came in asked me what her login for the computer was

i had to throw the brakes on my natural instinct to ridicule her so hard, i thought i heard squealing!
    I do this all the time, and I work with hospital staff.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Call center supervisor. Basically means I browse the internet all day. Occasionally I get to try to explain to a 90yr old lady what the "pound" sign is on her alarm keypad.

I really should be doing homework, though. But PA lurking/ sporadic posting usually beats out doing Math 113 (Calc 2) or CS235 (Data Structures and Analysis).

SWTOR Main - Novah (Shadowlands)
    Xbox Live - ObiFett (BF4 / Destiny)
    Other Games - Hearthstone and Diablo 3
  • DaemasDaemas Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Shift Manager at a casual dining restaurant.

kill me now.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I quit my job two weeks ago. My job was being paid to travel around the world and write about the places I visit.

One part of me is saying 'you stupid bastard you had a sweet deal' and yet the other, larger part of me is saying 'but you were more depressed and lonely than at any other time'

Time will tell how good a decision it was. Riding high on the 'being unemployed in a shitty economy' wave has its perks. Like sleeping in until noon and eating a lot of take out.

scarab you have mental problems
  • JedocJedoc Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I liked my job a lot better before my counterpart got promoted and the new girl came in.

You know the one. She's completely incompetent, but that's okay because she doesn't care about her job at all. She asks the same questions weekly, but doesn't ask them often enough to avoid screwing up large chunks of work that I have to fix. She's morbidly obese, and the moment she shows up the entire place instantly reeks of baby powder and institutional beef stew. The kind of beef stew they serve at hospitals and low-income public schools. I've had to make up imaginary sinus allergies because sometimes I just can't keep my nose from wrinkling with revulsion when she approaches my workstation.

Someday she's going to choke to death while engulfing an entire ham and when I get the news I'm not going to be able to conceal my glee and everybody will know what a terrible person I am.

cannon.jpg
  • ascotascot Registered User
    edited January 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I quit my job two weeks ago. My job was being paid to travel around the world and write about the places I visit.

One part of me is saying 'you stupid bastard you had a sweet deal' and yet the other, larger part of me is saying 'but you were more depressed and lonely than at any other time'

Time will tell how good a decision it was. Riding high on the 'being unemployed in a shitty economy' wave has its perks. Like sleeping in until noon and eating a lot of take out.

i hate you

edited January 2009

*snip*

You stupid bastard. You had a sweet deal.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ahahaha so now I'm at work

and for some reason or another my log in for our system has been changed

I now can't log in unless I spell my name wrong.

it's almost getting comical

• SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I had a job offer as a sales associate at Sears, and they promised me full time. So I moved to Portland to accept the job. Used my money I had saved up for the move, and the first 2 months rent. Now, they say they can't let me have more than 11 hours a week.

So now I'm in Portland, with no money, don't know a soul, and barely a job. But at least it is Portland right?

• Frank BrakFrank Brak Registered User
    edited January 2009
    ascot wrote: »

i hate you

• Frank BrakFrank Brak Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Swill wrote: »
    I had a job offer as a sales associate at Sears, and they promised me full time. So I moved to Portland to accept the job. Used my money I had saved up for the move, and the first 2 months rent. Now, they say they can't let me have more than 11 hours a week.

So now I'm in Portland, with no money, don't know a soul, and barely a job. But at least it is Portland right?

I've been thinking about moving to Seattle or NYC and this is a concern I have.

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    scarab will you give me a reference for your old job

edited January 2009
    Frank Brak wrote: »

i hate you

so much

• AshcroftAshcroft Gimme dem Yens Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Under federal law, you are allowed to attack the building, and kill no more than 3 people in retaliation for this dickiest of moves.

foxs1.png
    edited January 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »

*snip*

You stupid bastard. You had a sweet deal.

I though so too when I started. First day they said 'you're going to Vancouver tomorrow, go pack your shit'.

But then over the last 7 months I've become increasingly distant from friends, both metaphorically and literally, had zero sleep and been so wired all the time I burned out around Christmas. I met my university lecturer before New Years for drinks and he punched me in the neck when I told him. I had the perfect job and I hated every second. And I quit when most of the people I know would do anything to have it.

My life is like a shitty Romcom.

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i need a job so bad

reposig.jpg
    edited January 2009

i hate you

so much

I can sort of identify. how much were you traveling, scarab? like, were you pretty much always in some different place? because as cool as that would be, it would be a seriously depressing and lonely job

edited January 2009
    scarab will you give me a reference for your old job

You won't need one. UK newspapers have 5 employees between them. You could wash up dead on their doorstep and be hired. How do you think I got work there, being as professionally lazy as I am?

edited January 2009
    Scarab, i hate you so bad :(

edited January 2009
    I think I might be getting fired, but in the round about way where they just stop giving you hours. I'm very, very irritated with this because I really don't see what I could have done differently.

That's what happened at a nightclub gig I had about two years ago. They just kept cutting my hours and the next thing I knew, the new bar manager was scooping the shifts to give to all of his buddies.

Fuckin' prick.

this is currently happening to me

i am applying to other jobs but i live in a city that was already depressed economically when the credit crunch hit

• IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Me: So you should be all set.
    Store: Alright.
    Me: Alright, Cool.
    Store: Alright
    Me: Okay.
    Store: Alright
    Me: Alright.
    Me: Alright
    Me: OKAY NOW LADIES

• QuirkQuirk Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I don't have a job right now, (thank you cheap Cardiff house and broke parents meaning I don't pay any uni fees) but I'm going to finish uni come June and I have just fuck all idea of what I want to do. What can I do with a BscEcon in Politics you ask? Apparently fuckloads of stuff, though sifting through for what I want to do is daunting really.

Ah well, with the economy the way it is I'll probably wind up selling insurance or something in a call centre

• SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I've been thinking about moving to Seattle or NYC and this is a concern I have.

The big city is way nice. But I cannot find a job. Granted I have shit for experience.

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I letter. It's great work if you can find it, but it is very hard to find.

qsfwtzhym4ax.png
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel Deus Vult! OsloRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't do shit, bitches.

Fuck off and die.
  • TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm doing research at the health science center! Things are not going according to plan! It is very frustrating!

edited January 2009
    I think I might be getting fired, but in the round about way where they just stop giving you hours. I'm very, very irritated with this because I really don't see what I could have done differently.

That's what happened at a nightclub gig I had about two years ago. They just kept cutting my hours and the next thing I knew, the new bar manager was scooping the shifts to give to all of his buddies.

Fuckin' prick.

i am applying to other jobs but i live in a city that was already depressed economically when the credit crunch hit

I know how this feels. I live in a city that dependent only on the automobile industry

we were fucked before the credit crunch, now I don't even know

edited January 2009
    Vann Diras wrote: »

Fuckin' prick.

I know how this feels. I live in a city that dependent only on the automobile industry

hahaha, yeah, exactly my situation

edited January 2009

i hate you

so much

I can sort of identify. how much were you traveling, scarab? like, were you pretty much always in some different place? because as cool as that would be, it would be a seriously depressing and lonely job

Why do you think I posted here so much? I had noone else to talk to. You don't get two tickets. And it's not like a holiday. It's work. You arrive and go see these places but you are also booking photographers, writing your shit up, interviewing people. I bought a laptop so I could write on the plane and enjoy more time at each destination. On paper it sounds great, in practice it is lonely, stressful and something I didn't need to deal with. So I walked out just before Christmas.

So now I'm back at the bottom of the ladder, having rose up it mightily only to find at the top is a life of airport terminals and vacuum sealed meals over and over and over. I'd go back to my internship I did right out of uni in a heartbeat. Sometimes you don't quite realise how good you had it until you lose it. I had friends, good times and easy work for little pay. But so did everyone else. I have literally no idea what I'm going to do but at least I can share my worries with people I love - rather than sitting in some Moroccan bar - alone, drinking something I can't pronounce with noticeably the whitest skin for seventy miles.

• TamTam I hate art I love artRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Fuckin' prick.

Man, I wanted the companies to fail so hard, but then I remembered all the people that work for them and are dependent on them and I was like fuck, this really sucks.

edited January 2009
    I hate my job. I'm looking for a new "proper" job.
    I'm probably gonna hate that too!

• vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i work to save the environment, but I hardly get to talk to anyone all day long or have any interaction. I like the work, and being paid is nice, but it's so lonely and I'm starting to go crazy. I can absolutely see why you would give such a good thing up and I would likely do the same thing.

steam id: vermiculture
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i want to work at a book store one day

reposig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Tam wrote: »

Fuckin' prick.

Man, I wanted the companies to fail so hard, but then I remembered all the people that work for them and are dependent on them and I was like fuck, this really sucks.

it's okay, I forgive you Tam

• MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I do about forty minutes of actual work per day and I get paid 41k/year.

I'd say that's pretty good.

I hope my boss doesn't see this.

edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I just did.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Cowboy Fwankenstein Livin' That DreamRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But then over the last 7 months I've become increasingly distant from friends, both metaphorically and literally, had zero sleep and been so wired all the time I burned out around Christmas.

I had a marketing job like this right after my discharge from the military; it was fine for the first two months, but after five months of being on the road and living out of hotels, I realized that I had an awesome apartment that I slept in six days a month, a girlfriend that I saw one week a month if I was lucky, and a ridiculous smoking habit from driving the company vehicle everywhere and chaining a whole pack in ten hours. Oh, one of my coworkers was a giant asshole who had the exact same job as me, but he had a month of seniority so he thought he had the power of God over me and almost got knocked out on one tense day. We were sitting there discussing how to finish a job and he said something kinda rude and it escalated and then I just blacked out with rage. Seriously, I had no idea what was going on until three dudes had me by the arms and waist and were telling me to calm down.

Protip #417: Never say to a coworker's face that his 'cunt mother' should have taught him better manners. It might cause an adverse reaction.

darthsig.jpg
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm launching my mini company of one and considering getting into travel writing to boost the income a bit.

I have 3 years experience being the PR guy for travel writers so I might as well live on the other side of the fence for a bit. That and I like free trips to places.

snap02869.jpg "zip, i dunno what it is about you, but there's something very cat-like about your face. i can't really place it. like, a puma or something. you'd make a good mountain lion."
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I just did.

oh, rats

• TasteicleTasteicle Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I'm a government spook, not nearly as cool as it sounds.