As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I love my job (jk work is balls)

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    scarab will you give me a reference for your old job

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Frank Brak wrote: »
    ascot wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I quit my job two weeks ago. My job was being paid to travel around the world and write about the places I visit.

One part of me is saying 'you stupid bastard you had a sweet deal' and yet the other, larger part of me is saying 'but you were more depressed and lonely than at any other time'

Time will tell how good a decision it was. Riding high on the 'being unemployed in a shitty economy' wave has its perks. Like sleeping in until noon and eating a lot of take out.

i hate you

so much

ascot on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Swill wrote: »
    I had a job offer as a sales associate at Sears, and they promised me full time. So I moved to Portland to accept the job. Used my money I had saved up for the move, and the first 2 months rent. Now, they say they can't let me have more than 11 hours a week.

So now I'm in Portland, with no money, don't know a soul, and barely a job. But at least it is Portland right?

Under federal law, you are allowed to attack the building, and kill no more than 3 people in retaliation for this dickiest of moves.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I quit my job two weeks ago. My job was being paid to travel around the world and write about the places I visit.

*snip*

You stupid bastard. You had a sweet deal.

I though so too when I started. First day they said 'you're going to Vancouver tomorrow, go pack your shit'.

But then over the last 7 months I've become increasingly distant from friends, both metaphorically and literally, had zero sleep and been so wired all the time I burned out around Christmas. I met my university lecturer before New Years for drinks and he punched me in the neck when I told him. I had the perfect job and I hated every second. And I quit when most of the people I know would do anything to have it.

My life is like a shitty Romcom.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i need a job so bad

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

One part of me is saying 'you stupid bastard you had a sweet deal' and yet the other, larger part of me is saying 'but you were more depressed and lonely than at any other time'

Time will tell how good a decision it was. Riding high on the 'being unemployed in a shitty economy' wave has its perks. Like sleeping in until noon and eating a lot of take out.

i hate you

so much

I can sort of identify. how much were you traveling, scarab? like, were you pretty much always in some different place? because as cool as that would be, it would be a seriously depressing and lonely job

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    scarab will you give me a reference for your old job

You won't need one. UK newspapers have 5 employees between them. You could wash up dead on their doorstep and be hired. How do you think I got work there, being as professionally lazy as I am?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Scarab, i hate you so bad :(

ascot on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think I might be getting fired, but in the round about way where they just stop giving you hours. I'm very, very irritated with this because I really don't see what I could have done differently.

That's what happened at a nightclub gig I had about two years ago. They just kept cutting my hours and the next thing I knew, the new bar manager was scooping the shifts to give to all of his buddies.

Fuckin' prick.

this is currently happening to me

i am applying to other jobs but i live in a city that was already depressed economically when the credit crunch hit

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Me: So you should be all set.
    Store: Alright.
    Me: Alright, Cool.
    Store: Alright
    Me: Okay.
    Store: Alright
    Me: Alright.
    Me: Alright
    Me: OKAY NOW LADIES

Iskander on
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't have a job right now, (thank you cheap Cardiff house and broke parents meaning I don't pay any uni fees) but I'm going to finish uni come June and I have just fuck all idea of what I want to do. What can I do with a BscEcon in Politics you ask? Apparently fuckloads of stuff, though sifting through for what I want to do is daunting really.

Ah well, with the economy the way it is I'll probably wind up selling insurance or something in a call centre

Quirk on
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Swill wrote: »
    I had a job offer as a sales associate at Sears, and they promised me full time. So I moved to Portland to accept the job. Used my money I had saved up for the move, and the first 2 months rent. Now, they say they can't let me have more than 11 hours a week.

So now I'm in Portland, with no money, don't know a soul, and barely a job. But at least it is Portland right?

I've been thinking about moving to Seattle or NYC and this is a concern I have.

The big city is way nice. But I cannot find a job. Granted I have shit for experience.

Swill on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I letter. It's great work if you can find it, but it is very hard to find.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't do shit, bitches.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm doing research at the health science center! Things are not going according to plan! It is very frustrating!

Tam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think I might be getting fired, but in the round about way where they just stop giving you hours. I'm very, very irritated with this because I really don't see what I could have done differently.

That's what happened at a nightclub gig I had about two years ago. They just kept cutting my hours and the next thing I knew, the new bar manager was scooping the shifts to give to all of his buddies.

Fuckin' prick.

i am applying to other jobs but i live in a city that was already depressed economically when the credit crunch hit

I know how this feels. I live in a city that dependent only on the automobile industry

we were fucked before the credit crunch, now I don't even know

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Vann Diras wrote: »

Fuckin' prick.

I know how this feels. I live in a city that dependent only on the automobile industry

hahaha, yeah, exactly my situation

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

i hate you

so much

I can sort of identify. how much were you traveling, scarab? like, were you pretty much always in some different place? because as cool as that would be, it would be a seriously depressing and lonely job

Why do you think I posted here so much? I had noone else to talk to. You don't get two tickets. And it's not like a holiday. It's work. You arrive and go see these places but you are also booking photographers, writing your shit up, interviewing people. I bought a laptop so I could write on the plane and enjoy more time at each destination. On paper it sounds great, in practice it is lonely, stressful and something I didn't need to deal with. So I walked out just before Christmas.

So now I'm back at the bottom of the ladder, having rose up it mightily only to find at the top is a life of airport terminals and vacuum sealed meals over and over and over. I'd go back to my internship I did right out of uni in a heartbeat. Sometimes you don't quite realise how good you had it until you lose it. I had friends, good times and easy work for little pay. But so did everyone else. I have literally no idea what I'm going to do but at least I can share my worries with people I love - rather than sitting in some Moroccan bar - alone, drinking something I can't pronounce with noticeably the whitest skin for seventy miles.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Fuckin' prick.

Man, I wanted the companies to fail so hard, but then I remembered all the people that work for them and are dependent on them and I was like fuck, this really sucks.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I hate my job. I'm looking for a new "proper" job.
    I'm probably gonna hate that too!

ascot on
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i work to save the environment, but I hardly get to talk to anyone all day long or have any interaction. I like the work, and being paid is nice, but it's so lonely and I'm starting to go crazy. I can absolutely see why you would give such a good thing up and I would likely do the same thing.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i want to work at a book store one day

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tam wrote: »

Fuckin' prick.

Man, I wanted the companies to fail so hard, but then I remembered all the people that work for them and are dependent on them and I was like fuck, this really sucks.

it's okay, I forgive you Tam

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I do about forty minutes of actual work per day and I get paid 41k/year.

I'd say that's pretty good.

I hope my boss doesn't see this.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I just did.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    But then over the last 7 months I've become increasingly distant from friends, both metaphorically and literally, had zero sleep and been so wired all the time I burned out around Christmas.

I had a marketing job like this right after my discharge from the military; it was fine for the first two months, but after five months of being on the road and living out of hotels, I realized that I had an awesome apartment that I slept in six days a month, a girlfriend that I saw one week a month if I was lucky, and a ridiculous smoking habit from driving the company vehicle everywhere and chaining a whole pack in ten hours. Oh, one of my coworkers was a giant asshole who had the exact same job as me, but he had a month of seniority so he thought he had the power of God over me and almost got knocked out on one tense day. We were sitting there discussing how to finish a job and he said something kinda rude and it escalated and then I just blacked out with rage. Seriously, I had no idea what was going on until three dudes had me by the arms and waist and were telling me to calm down.

Protip #417: Never say to a coworker's face that his 'cunt mother' should have taught him better manners. It might cause an adverse reaction.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm launching my mini company of one and considering getting into travel writing to boost the income a bit.

I have 3 years experience being the PR guy for travel writers so I might as well live on the other side of the fence for a bit. That and I like free trips to places.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »

I just did.

oh, rats

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TasteicleTasteicle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a government spook, not nearly as cool as it sounds.

Tasteicle on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    so what do you do instead of being cool

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    so what do you do instead of being cool

He tracks down the less exciting type of alien.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    area 53 only gets to handle the people who get probed =(

Tasteicle on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I always wanted to work at this old secondhand bookstore in Sidney.
    I mean, we have about 6. But this one's really neat. The guy there is really knowledgeable and all.
    But then I see 3 people in one day come in and try getting him to "appraise" and buy all their old Anne Rice and murder mystery novels
    He must get so tired

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    But really I just moniter people's computer related actions for the military, mostly

Tasteicle on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    how can i see my neighbour naked ? ?

RubberAC on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    how can i see my neighbour naked ? ?
    I would like to know this as well. I've seen her clean her car in a bikini.

I'd love to see her arrange her dashboard, if you know what I mean.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    i was more referring to the, like, i don't know yahoo? search results of a few years a go. maybe google. all i remember was one of the highest searched for phrases was "how can i see my neighbour naked"

also all my neighbours are old men

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    aol

i remember seeing the wierd and tragic progressions like a bunch of increasingly intense queries for psychiatric help for depression and then for grief counselling

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Tam wrote: »

Fuckin' prick.

it's okay, I forgive you Tam

Yeah, what can I say. I love the people, but I hate the companies.

Tam on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    man, anyone who hates scarab at all has never had to travel for work

it is balls and a half

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png