As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TribesNext - Tribes 2 free and returned! [NSf56k]

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    da newb wrote: »
    I am confused. I have a decent computer (I can run L4D and TF2), but my framerate appears to be very low and it stutters. It does this less inside than outside, but it still does this all the time. I tried setting my affinity for just 1 processor (I have a Dual Core), but it is still behaving strangely. Help...

That's very strange, I'm running on max settings with a 4 year old laptop... If you can run TF2 this should be no problem.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    See if you need to select Open GL or D3D

uberneko on
  • Options
    ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The best thing ever is being 1 of the 2 heavys with shield packs sitting back to back on the flag armed with ELF guns or skiing after the flag runner discing yourself over his head while ELFing him as he tries to burn up a hill haha. This game is so friggin great because theres so much info your taking in it takes awhile to process simple things like that shrike flying at you while your in the air, i stared at it for 2 seconds before realizing on second 3 that i should evade but to late!

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • Options
    notmannotman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If your performance is bad, make sure you have video card drivers from the manufacturer, and NOT from Microsoft. MS strips out OpenGL from drivers they 'certify' and offer. Tribes 2 is built on OpenGL.

If that doesn't help, let me know. Sierra stole half my troubleshooting guide and used it on their site ;) (back in the day... my old site no longer exists).

notman on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ATI cards also have and have always had very bad performance with Tribes 2... the D3D support for T2 is terrible... if you can use OpenGL, use it.

I logged in for a while... got my ass beat... ESDF has got to go.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    ATI cards also have and have always had very bad performance with Tribes 2... the D3D support for T2 is terrible... if you can use OpenGL, use it.

I logged in for a while... got my ass beat... ESDF has got to go.

Sissy.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I loved ESDF back in that day because Tribes was the only game I played.

But having to switch between this and WoW... no can do.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well, updated my driver, and it fixed the problems I was getting with OpenGL, so I switched back to that, and now it runs great. But I suck at the game.

da newb on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I am convinced at the moment that the only people who aren't sucking at it right now are the ones who were playing it every week up until a couple of months ago.

The pub I joined was just 35 confused people and 5 of "those" guys who had all the routes memorized. Blowout after blowout.

Then the map switched to Minotaur. Fuck that.

Speaking of which, if Minotaur is on the PA server rotation, REMOVE IT. EVERYONE HATES IT.

;)

Jasconius on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have discovered my calling in life. Bombardier. Or Artilleryman.

I am downright annoying as bombardier, because if my bomber is shot down, I ski away whilst waving my targeting laser in my opponents' faces, causing them to pursue me. And since I always have a repair pack, they shoot at me, I repair the damage, and continue to ski away.

I had one poor sod run himself out of ammo and we finally both stopped. I repaired him up and went on my merry way, and he headed back to his base.

I felt bad for him. :(

MechMantis on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was sucking majorly at even jetting into a simple hole.

Then I jumped into a Shrike

It was... it was like I had never left

Fugitive on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I have discovered my calling in life. Bombardier. Or Artilleryman.

I am downright annoying as bombardier, because if my bomber is shot down, I ski away whilst waving my targeting laser in my opponents' faces, causing them to pursue me. And since I always have a repair pack, they shoot at me, I repair the damage, and continue to ski away.

I had one poor sod run himself out of ammo and we finally both stopped. I repaired him up and went on my merry way, and he headed back to his base.

I felt bad for him. :(

I'll remember to spot targets for you if we're on the same team. I love calling in artillery strikes.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am ok at flying stuff or as a tailgunner but lord I can't hit anything with weapons on foot.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So this Evolution Admin mod should allow Job to set it so that the server goes into password mode after a certain number of slots are filled. This would allow pubbers to play on the Arcadia server, but still let PA people in.

The only problem is finding the files.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Goons use is so you could ask them.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    TAC 2 fight night's on now! http://www.tacmod.com/Files/tac2%20Install.zip

Just unzip this into your Gamedata folder and check out the server. It's the only tac one around right now.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Just unzip this into your Gamedata folder and check out the server. It's the only tac one around right now.

I always wondered can you have multiple mods? what are 'scripts'?

Arghy on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't see why you can't have multiple mods. Stuff like tac2 installs into its own folder.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Arghy wrote: »
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

I always wondered can you have multiple mods? what are 'scripts'?

Yes. Mods are installed in individual folders.

Scripts are the add-ons of Tribes. A common type of script is a kill count script, that tracks your kills with each weapon type.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Arrrgh.

Direct3D performance on my end is SHIT, and when I've got an ATI Radeon X1650 Pro with an AMD Athlon X2, that should not be the case.

OpenGL results in

Tribes2.exe0.jpg

THIS. Only it looks far far worse because random polys are stretched every millisecond, but nary a drop in performance. I know it's not overheating, I've already updated my drivers, and I know I've played Tribes 2 with this same setup before, with OpenGL, without problems.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The pub I joined was just 35 confused people and 5 of "those" guys who had all the routes memorized. Blowout after blowout.

The goon server boils down to hoping the auto-team will put you on the one with all the vets who can send heavies at 500 kph straight into the gen room.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The goon server boils down to hoping the auto-team will put you on the one with all the vets who can send heavies at 500 kph straight into the gen room.

Hahaha i love capping the flag as a heavy watching everyone gape as i disc launch myself across the map. If your team is getting constantly capped it means you dont have any dedicated flag defenders, go get yourself either a flag chaser settup(light+energy pack+ELF) or a heavy flag defender settup(heavy+shield/repair pack+ELF). Your entire purpose in life is to sit on that flag and ensure that anyone trying to slide into it is going to hit a brick wall of hurt, a good tactic is to team up with another heavy and use your ELF with your shield pack. You'll hold them still while the other heavy roasts everything in plasma which your shield should hold off.

I forgot the name of the map but its friggin huge and we had 65 players, 4 dedicated heavies sitting on the flag and we had cappers bouncing off us every 6 seconds in between shrikes sending one of the heavies half way across the map with a lucky it haha. Its so great holding the flag when its a flag draw because i was in a bunker and the enemy had 3 bombers running back and fourth overhead pounding it as i watched the entrance from a corner. I havent seen a game instill that sense of battle before, the walls were shaking as mortars, bombs and nades hit the walls around me.

If they do make another proper tribes game they should allow buildings to be destroyed so every map would be designed with intensive underground facilitys because at the end of the level it would be nothing but a heap of rubble on the surface.

Arghy on
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone know of some great custom HUDs to use? I find the one now doesn't center enough info in my eyes (like having health and jets near the crosshair)

uberneko on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Apparently my insane Tribes 1 skills, which of course have atrophied from lack of use, have transferred at least a litte. My first time playing Tribes 2 EVER was last night and I disced a few people and sniped a few skiiers in the head with the laser rifle. Not having much luck with the chaingun though.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    CoreoCoreo Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So was Tribes Vengeance supposed to be the worse one of the lot? Because I have a copy of that and I loved the hell out of it. I am downloading Tribes 2 now.

Coreo on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you're reading this, Sunstrand, I'm sorry if I scared you off. I didn't know you were new to the game.

I'm in the PA server if anyone else is interested in joining up. Current map is Scarabrae.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Coreo wrote: »
    So was Tribes Vengeance supposed to be the worse one of the lot? Because I have a copy of that and I loved the hell out of it. I am downloading Tribes 2 now.

Uh yeah it's a pale shadow of the first two. It's like Deus Ex 2 compared to Deus Ex.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Dorktron9000Dorktron9000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, I just tried playing for an hour.

Much more complicated that I remember. Even after I figured out how to change my loadouts and zoom I was still getting F'd in the A non-stop.

Dorktron9000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Uh yeah it's a pale shadow of the first two. It's like Deus Ex 2 compared to Deus Ex.

Ohhh that's all opinion. T:V had a lot of what were, in my opinion, major gameplay improvements.

There's a lot of people who played Tribes 1 who also thought Tribes 2 was the worst game ever, yet here we are.. what... 6 years later? even more than that perhaps.

I think T:V could have been fixed in a single patch, but that's not how Vivendi plays ball.

As for pubbing, yes, it's tough stuff. I wish I had any routes memorized still. I wish even more that people would have better map rotations... Rollercoaster on Classic mod is just a massive CF... a straight up ladder map.

Give me Broadside/Scarabrea any day.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Ohhh that's all opinion. T:V had a lot of what were, in my opinion, major gameplay improvements.

There's a lot of people who played Tribes 1 who also thought Tribes 2 was the worst game ever, yet here we are.. what... 6 years later? even more than that perhaps.

I think T:V could have been fixed in a single patch, but that's not how Vivendi plays ball.

As for pubbing, yes, it's tough stuff. I wish I had any routes memorized still. I wish even more that people would have better map rotations... Rollercoaster on Classic mod is just a massive CF... a straight up ladder map.

Give me Broadside/Scarabrea any day.

I can understand why people didn't like Vengeance, but I personally loved the new ski mechanic and the grapple gun. So far that's been the best implementation of one I've ever seen.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mandalorian Mod in Dark Forces II was a better grapple. T:V isn't awful. It's just so much worse than T1/T2 (depending on which one you like). Just like Deus Ex 2!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    T:V was fun, but it wasn't what I would call a proper successor. Tribes was basically on the cutting edge of epic multiplayer games, it defined the genre. T:V more or less ignored the pedigree and took a number of cues from the UT series. Everything lacked mass, the vehicles were floaty, the games felt like quick sporting matches, and everything was made of plastic.

The story for the single player was pretty good. But it really was more of an off-shoot game, not Tribes 3.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Uh, the original Tribes felt exactly like short sporting matches... thats why people loved it. Tribes2 changed that to go for the more epic scope feeling (bombers, tanks, huge bases, larger maps) and people liked that too but it was pretty different in feel from Tribes. I'm pretty sure DaveG wanted tribes to be Planetside all along but just didn't have the resources to get it done. (Untill he went to SOE and made Planetside that is).

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    ColonCancerColonCancer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Awww-Riiite.

Downloading now.

ColonCancer on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Uh, the original Tribes felt exactly like short sporting matches... thats why people loved it. Tribes2 changed that to go for the more epic scope feeling (bombers, tanks, huge bases, larger maps) and people liked that too but it was pretty different in feel from Tribes. I'm pretty sure DaveG wanted tribes to be Planetside all along but just didn't have the resources to get it done. (Untill he went to SOE and made Planetside that is).

Right, and you can tell they were trying to capture the feel of Tribes with T:V, but instead it came off feeling more like Unreal Tournament with jetpacks, as cliche as the comparison is. There just wasn't the same feeling in multiplayer, and Irrational freely admitted afterwards that they had no clue what they were doing.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, turns out Tribes 2 runs very well off a thumbdrive here at work so I'll probably be playing more often. What's the password to the Goon server though, can anyone PM me?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Let's fucking play this now.

da newb on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    da newb wrote: »
    Let's fucking play this now.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd love to, but I appear to be one of the 1/16th of the userbase that ran into the invalid password error and there seems to be a seven day wait period before you can make another account.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Hey, turns out Tribes 2 runs very well off a thumbdrive here at work so I'll probably be playing more often. What's the password to the Goon server though, can anyone PM me?

The goon server only gets passworded when there are about 60 players, to leave spaces for the admins.

AKA none of us know the password.

BlueDestiny on