As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magazine Subscriptions for Cheap Bastards

Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club ChampionA fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm thinking about getting several magazine subscriptions, namely Wired, The Economist, and Scientific American. My questions:

What is the best way to get several magazine subscriptions on the cheap (or free!) nowadays? Are online subscriptions generally included or are those separate? Any experiences anyone would like to share regarding this sort of thing? What magazines would people recommend for folks like us?

Much thanks ahead of time!

Inquisitor77 on

• Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cheapass Gamer has run a free magazine thread for years. some deals may be expired, and they might not have exactly the titles you're looking for, but it's a good place to start.

Here.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Snag some toss in's from some magazines at the store.

1 year sub to wired is 40 CAD on the toss in card, and typically they really ream you on being a canuck.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Economist has Educational discounts if you're a student. Alternatively, you can do like I do and read it at your local library or bookstore, because damn it's an expensive rag.

Reckless on
  • Options
    starlanceriistarlancerii Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, but it is pretty frickin' awesome- its a weekly publication, but somehow it always lasts all week. Another thing you could just do is read the economist online, its all up there. I prefer doing this even though I have a subscription - when I'm waiting for a program to run or in a boring conference call, I can just browse the website.

On a somewhat related note, would anybody suggest any men's fashion magazines? I've come to realize that my fashion sense is horribly out of touch with reality, and needs an upgrade. Cheap fashion mags would be a plus :D

starlancerii on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2009
    The Economist is worth every penny :)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wired is mega-cheap on its own.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I tried to buy a subscription from one of those discount services (mags4less or whatever), which turned out to be a scam. I know people who have used them before, but I didn't get shit. I had to do a chargeback on my credit card because they couldn't do shit for me.

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    CreepyCreepy Tucson, AzRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wired is $12/year from the throwaway cards, at least in the US.

Creepy on
    Live: Broichan

PSN: Broichan
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wired is $10 a year through Amazon

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]