As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

old fallout thread; please disregard and post in the new one

• Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    That is pretty much the worst arguement for Fallout 3 being set in a poorly realized world.

And the food sources in FO3 are explained. Everyone eats left over packaged food or grilled monster bits.

Good thing that no one's touched those packaged foods for 200 years.

It was packaged food OF THE FUTURE!

If you can accept power armor and sentient computers and robots with vacuum tubes, this is really a nitpicky thing to complain about.

Not to mention, the food supply pre-war was set up to feed hundreds of millions of people all living in the US. After the nukes went off, you have maybe 1% of the population left, able to feed off the food supply meant to feed hundreds of millions. That's quite a surplus.

Also, there are crop farms in Fallout. At least, on the west coast in Fallout 2 we saw farms...not to mention the widespread Brahmin domestication.

This might be the lamest post I've written on PA, but what can I say, I'm bored...

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I imagine in the Fallout universe a lot of time and energy was spent making TV dinners that would last forever.

It just seems like something they'd do.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh and there's a forced evolutionary virus that turns humans into green space marines with a dash of retarded.

If you want realism for a post-nuke scenario, play Defcon.

Try to play it after the whole world is nuked.

Oh wait everyone is dead and the world is destroyed and there's no landmarks left and everything's eroded.

How fucking boring.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Got a quarter? Gotta nuke shelter!

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I mean really people.

Suspend some of that disbelief and just revel in shoving your deathclaw gauntlet into a behemoth's junk.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SevenFisherSevenFisher Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Roshin wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    How do you accidentally shoot someone anyway.

Well... There was that time I was sneaking through a subway station when a door opened and a ghoul steps out. I instantly thought "He has a gun!", hit VATS, and removed his head with one shot. His body collapsed in the doorway and the head flew back into the room he came from and landed on a desk in front of another ghoul, who I killed with another shotgun blast.

Looting their little office, it hit me that these ghouls hadn't actually done anything. For all I know, the first one just stepped out for a smoke. It really did look like I had wasted two potentially friendly characters.

Still, no one saw it happen and I say they were dead when I found them. Yep, poor sods.

That was probably Murphy and his bodyguard:
    You can take him Sugar Bombs for like 30 caps, and later buy some UltraJet he makes with it (which gives 40AP
    They also tell you about where to find the Family (go through the tunnel in the back of their little place).

Something similar happened to me in the Taft Escape Tunnels:
    Used to firing at anything wearing power armor, when I stepped through the door where the Brotherhood guard is, I immediately opened fire on him. Thankfully, he didn't go agro on me or the scientists, and helped fight off the remaining ghouls.

I've done same except I managed to blow his head off with my Combat Shotgun. :oops: :lol:
    Because my NPCs had low HP, and I was trying to protect them...went "Ooh boy, there's a exit!", opened it & yelled in fear: "ARGH ELCLAVE!!!!" and quickly went in VATS & blow his head off without actually having closer look that it's actually Botherhood guard after "You got Bad Karma" message pops up.....:...:

Thankfully, though, I got in Brotherhood's hideout fine without getting attacked by his mates :P

SevenFisher on
    SevenFisher.gif
    Currently Playing: Team Fortress 2(PC), FallOut(PC)
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When's Operation: Anchorage coming out? I hear from the SE++ crowd that it's coming out this Wednesday. Is that true? I'd like it to be.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    When's Operation: Anchorage coming out? I hear from the SE++ crowd that it's coming out this Wednesday. Is that true? I'd like it to be.

I think so

But it's a simulation and not real and there's fucking ninjas oh no the end of the world didn't happen that way it's not gritty and grim and dark enough

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just finished the Wasteland Survival Guide, all optional parts included.

After telling Moira and getting my pretty lame reward, I blew her head off with a shotgun.

...but then I reloaded, of course.

Graviija on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Graviija wrote: »

After telling Moira and getting my pretty lame reward, I blew her head off with a shotgun.

The perk you get is pretty decent.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I got 5% free extra crit chance.

Like, why you would be mad at that, I'd never know.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

well of course you reloaded the shotgun :P

Joolander on
  • Options
    SevenFisherSevenFisher Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

The perk you get is pretty decent.

Aye, it's pretty decent in my opinion :) Never tried another perk that you got when you:
    crush her dreams by talking her out of making the book. You get Perk that's related to crushing people's dreams, or something

though.

SevenFisher on
    SevenFisher.gif
    Currently Playing: Team Fortress 2(PC), FallOut(PC)
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

If you answer right, you get +6 DR. That is pretty damn nice.

jackal on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh wait everyone is dead and the world is destroyed and there's no landmarks left and every thing's eroded.

How fucking boring.

Why does this sound so familiar?

Oh yeah, because that's (minus the vulgarity) exactly what Bethesda said when they decided on the design direction for the game...in a real, global nuclear war, there would be nothing left.

At it's heart, the entire world of Fallout is based on exaggeration, fantasy and the outright absurd. Hence, it's kinda pointless to argue that Bethesda some how failed to put more effort into realistically simulating the world. It's almost like asking, "Where are all the farms in Super Mario Brothers?"

I'm just going to concede the point that you are 100% correct, followed up with a "so what?" and move on.

And in answer to the other question, IIRC, it's still possible to complete, "You gotta shoot 'em in the head" with Tenpenny dead.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jackal wrote: »

If you answer right, you get +6 DR. That is pretty damn nice.
    Ha, you're right. I thought it said +6% RAD resistance at first.

Well, Moira, you win this round.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I think so

But it's a simulation and not real and there's fucking ninjas oh no the end of the world didn't happen that way it's not gritty and grim and dark enough

I'm going to wear that stealth ninja armour and kill Brotherhood guys using a chinese officer's sword.

Fuck the haters. 8-)

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Oh wait everyone is dead and the world is destroyed and there's no landmarks left and every thing's eroded.

How fucking boring.

Why does this sound so familiar?

Oh yeah, because that's (minus the vulgarity) exactly what Bethesda said when they decided on the design direction for the game...in a real, global nuclear war, there would be nothing left.

Well, no that's not true either. Honestly, I can see where the criticism comes from- it would have been nice to see some farms and maybe some more crowded settlements. But that's just the thing- Fallout's setting is not necessarily "realistic", but it is reasonably consistent with itself and that is all that matters. A few farms would have improved that internal consistency a bit, but not so much so that they're necessary.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And in answer to the other question, IIRC, it's still possible to complete, "You gotta shoot 'em in the head" with Tenpenny dead.

Okay, that's what I wanted to know. From my research I just need his key, correct? The suite key that was on his body?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'm just going to concede the point that you are 100% correct, followed up with a "so what?" and move on.

No, silly. You're supposed to say "Nostalgia goggles lololololol". This is the internet, foo.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Okay, that's what I wanted to know. From my research I just need his key, correct? The suite key that was on his body?

IIRC, you don't need a key from him, just to kill him.

Funny thing happened with me, because in speaking with Mr Crowley, one of my first dialogue choices was telling him Tenpenny was dead.

Nice way to greet new people.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That is pretty much the worst arguement for Fallout 3 being set in a poorly realized world.

And the food sources in FO3 are explained. Everyone eats left over packaged food or grilled monster bits.

If you can accept power armor and sentient computers and robots with vacuum tubes, this is really a nitpicky thing to complain about.

Welcome to the Fallout 'fanbase', utterly unpleasable. Oh, and if you played the hell out of the first two games, but liked 3, guess what? You're not a 'real' fan. A real fan wants the franchise dead and buried.

Does anyone remember the hatefest of the Besthesda main forum before the game came out? It was a festering stew of nerd faggotry. That was before it sold 4 million copies, you know, more than the previous games combined.

I can't count the number of faulty arguments about how Fallout 3 screwed up the franchise for the stupidest reasons, most of which were already present in in the first few games.

How about Bethesda raped the franchise because the Brotherhood mass produced armor found in DC didn't have the proper 'armor slope' like the T-51B? RAEP MY CHILDHOOD.

Or that most quests have good, neutral or evil outcomes. You know, like 90% of the original quests where you could do the exact same thing. There were only a FEW quests in the original games with more that two or three outcomes.

Oh yeah, and Liberty Prime is gay and retarded, and doesn't fit the setting, but Robobrains? Fucking A man, touch those and the game is OVER! o_O

And the
    Enclave
    returning to D.C. to take power? MAKES NO SENSE! Yes, a fucking oil derelict in the middle of the ocean is the PERFECT headquarters and not a cliche underwater volcano lair at all with its giant fucking steel heads sticking out of the sides. :lol: And yet the 'unrealistic' nature of Fallout 3 is criminal. If there was a gay emoticon, I'd use that now.

Fallout 1 and 2 did have MORE dialog choices, but that's a consequence of it being text based. You can still get by with being neutral in this game.

It's not a perfect game folks, but goddamn it, Fallout is ALIVE again and we're getting great stuff for the most part. Be fucking grateful.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

*Angry wall o' text*

I'd say that most of us here really like the game as well. It's just that we're all nerds, and nit-picking is what we do best.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah you ungrateful fucks should be Bethesda didn't royally fuck this game up.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I condemn the last few pages of this thread.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fallout 3 is a truly excellent game. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I had to, and I'm going to grab all the DLC as it comes even if it boils down to Dogmeat Armour. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone looking for an RPG.

But dear God does Fallout 3 have issues.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love it I just wish it was less confined (yeah, when people think of FO3 they don't think of confined).

considering how much I DO like it though, I'm glad Bethesda stepped up to the plate and did their best.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tenpenny died when I negotiated for the ghouls to enter his tower, and I have no idea if Roy killed him or he walked off his balcony. (don't tell me, I want to ask Roy first)

Some regulators tried to kill that bad kid from rivet city, and I'm sure they were as frustrated as me to find him immortal.

That drug dealer says "welcome to a quick fix" when i break into her room.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    considering how much I DO like it though, I'm glad Bethesda stepped up to the plate and did their best.

Yep.

Thats pretty much what the non-NMA true fallout fans have to say.

" We're gonna love the shit out of F3, because its the best thing we're gonna get and its better than nothing "

and I do, I love the hell out of it. Is it the game black isle would have made? No, but guess what...black isles gone, Bethesda owns the rights to it now, and for the history the game has both ingame and out, and the unique setting and feeling the game has to have to make it feel like a fallout, Bethesda did a damn good job out of the gate.

and I expect, if they make a fallout 4, It will be infinitely better as they get their grasp on the canon and start carving out their own chunk of fallout history.

And..

Where is this NSFW Moira ghoul mod?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yo, freakish light! It's Tulip! Not Moira!

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I know. I saw it.

I prefer to think of Moira though. This is a hypothetical mod.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I know. I saw it.

I prefer to think of Moira though.

You're not the only one.

What?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I know. I saw it.

You're not the only one.

What?

That's going in the OP.

freakish light on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Actually, he doesn't have a key.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    El Extremo wrote: »

*Angry wall o' text*

I'd say that most of us here really like the game as well. It's just that we're all nerds, and nit-picking is what we do best.

Understandable. I'm not claiming people should universally like the game but damn. Look at what happened to Advent Rising. A damn fine game that got stuck with 'bad Halo clone' rap (and was much improved on the PC version) and now we will NEVER get conclusion to that series. That's how the world works, so when Fallout 3 got a second chance, I was jumping up and down. Not so in some dark corners of the interwebs.

It's the hideous nitpicking of Fallout 3 that gets me. And the unattainable standards some affix to it. I agree the game's ending needs some work, but thanks to DLC, the game's single biggest issue is getting fixed. That's good freaking news.

There are just as many annoyances in Fallout 1 and 2 if you look hard enough.

So yes, I was harsh, but it's because daddy loves you. *hugs*

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I know. I saw it.

You're not the only one.

What?

That's going in the OP.

I hope you get infectious penis cancer and watch in horror as it falls off one day during a jog through the park.
    <3

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I know. I saw it.

You're not the only one.

What?

That's going in the OP.

I hope you get infectious penis cancer and watch in horror as it falls off one day during a jog through the park.
    <3

Dude. My mom had infectious penis cancer. It's not funny at all.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I hope there's some DLC content centered around Moira coming up.

I actually haven't played Fallout 3 since christmas eve, which was about a day after I finished the survival guide.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The more I play it, the more I find Tranquility Lane to be, disturbing, hilarious, and awesome. What kind of character you are really tends to shine through here. It reminds me of Stanley Millgram's torture experiments. Just how far will you go if someone in a position of authority tells you to before rebelling? If at all?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    what the hell just happened.

nsfw. or maybe nsf-mind.
    fallout3200901120303547py5.jpg

fallout3200901120304000uv7.jpg

fallout3200901120304068bp3.jpg

fallout3200901120304101od1.jpg

fallout3200901120304194nw8.jpg

fallout3200901120307102np2.jpg

*here is when the screen goes dark and muffled sex sounds appear, muffled to sound like a ghoul, im not making this **** up.* D:

fallout3200901120307464im0.jpg

fallout3200901120307510dp0.jpg

fallout3200901120308013ot3.jpg

fallout3200901120308040yj3.jpg

This is just to remind everyone about why the thread is now titled as it is.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png