As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SFII HD Remix: MNC Dover wins the tournament!

1575859606163»

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    GG's tonight to Slayervin, Flashg03, Jonnybot, and Aumni. Not to sound rude, but I was getting a ton of static and echoing from Flashg03's microphone. Was anyone else experiencing this or was it just me?

Slayervin - Sick Bison rushdown. Nothing else to say really.
    Flashg03 - Pretty darned good Gief. Nailing those SPD's on time.
    Jonnybot - Your Cammy was sharp, I only wished you pulled off more cannon drills for tick damage and pressure.
    Aumni - Take your Ryu back, I don't want him! :lol:

Sorry about the snub, been waiting to play GOW2 for quite a while.

chamberlain on
  • JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    GGs all around tonight.

Aunmi, I remember you saying somewhere you didn't think you were good. You've certainly proved yourself wrong.
    Dover, I can see why you won the last tourney.
    Jonny, you really started to shine later on in the night, then you left, jerk :P
    Flash, your Gief beat my Bison twice at the end of the night. I hate you.

Yeah I had to get off. Wife wanted me to clean some stuff. Can't say no to her.

JonnyBot on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JonnyBot wrote: »
    GGs all around tonight.

Aunmi, I remember you saying somewhere you didn't think you were good. You've certainly proved yourself wrong.
    Jonny, you really started to shine later on in the night, then you left, jerk :P

Yeah I had to get off. Wife wanted me to clean some stuff. Can't say no to her.

[obligatory family man joke]

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • hojuhoju Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey if I play you guys without talking the whole time it's not cause I'm angry I just can never find my headset when I start playing people who are talking.

hoju on
    426647-1.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yesss just got my 100th ranked victory! :D

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I apologize, but you'll rarely hear me on a headset either. I tend to play after I've put the dogs to bed, and at that point, my incessant street fighter babble tends to keep them awake. No offense to you guys!

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm sort of torn between bringing my T.Hawk or Chun Li to the game.

Meiz on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love my t hawk/geif. If I have over 50% hp, and they have under 25% hp, I put my palm on the analog stick and start spinning, mashing jab. 90% of the time, it works everytime.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2009
    Gief's lariat has invulnerability to sweeps when it winds up too.

Keep that in mind.

Meiz on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    GGs all around tonight.

Thanks man! Definitely some great matches last night.

It was odd when we'd get the infinite echo effect, probably why we weren't talking too much. :)

Flash you have an excellent Zangief.
    Dover you just kept picking different characters and pulling out scary things.
    Jonny, you have helped instill a fear of Cammy that will be deeply rooted for time to come.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dav3yb wrote: »
    hell i'll join!

the more i play the better ill get... at least thats how things should work =/

still spots open?

That's the spirit! I've got your info and you are all ready to go.

Awesome. Can't wait then.

Cool. I should be available to play one Wed/Thurs nights of this week or the entire weekend.

:mrgreen: Flattery will get you a first round bye. :mrgreen:

Sorry about the snub, been waiting to play GOW2 for quite a while.

I hate you forever.
    hoju wrote: »
    Hey if I play you guys without talking the whole time it's not cause I'm angry I just can never find my headset when I start playing people who are talking.

Well find that headset in time for the tourney. I like talking to people when I'm jammin'.
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Yesss just got my 100th ranked victory! :D

Nicely done! I stopped playing ranked when my score was set to zero for some reason. o_O Going to join us in the tourney? 6 spots still open!
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I love my t hawk/geif. If I have over 50% hp, and they have under 25% hp, I put my palm on the analog stick and start spinning, mashing jab. 90% of the time, it works everytime.

Note to self: Throwing fireballs at Pika when my health is low and his is higher = win!
    Aumni wrote: »
    Dover you just kept picking different characters and pulling out scary things.

Yeah, it's no fun to keep playing the same character over and over again. No offense JonnyBot!

Whew! Mega response finished.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited January 2009
    Hah, hey man, I don't want a bye. I entered this tournament to play and win.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited January 2009
    I've decided to flex my thigh muscles as Chun Li. T.Hawk has weaknesses.

Meiz on
    edited January 2009
    So this thread is almost kaput. You gonna make the new one Folken, with all of Pogo's info? Here's the current tourney info if you want to get that added as well. If not, I'll at least try and jump into the 2nd spot on the thread to make it easier to find.

Tournament rules:
    -Double elimination tournament.
    -Each match is best 3 out of 5 rounds with a normal 99 second time limit.
    -In order to advance, the winner must win 2 out of 3 matches.
    -The winning player must keep the same character between matches, but the loser can opt to change.
    -New characters can be played at the start of a new round of the tournament.
    -This is an honor system for reporting who wins and loses.
    -Light hearted smack talk is highly encouraged.
    -Other non-players can spectate is approved by the two playing characters.
    -Have fun!

Updated Entrants (5 spots still available!):
    1 - MNC Dover
    2 - Chamberlain
    3 - Folken Fanel
    4 - JonnyBot
    5 - RuffNite
    6 - Fig-D
    7 - B:L
    8 - Aumni
    9 - Meiz
    10 - SlayerVin
    11 - JustinSane07
    12 - Acidlacedpenguin
    13 - Hugh Jass
    14 - FireFlash
    15 - Hoju
    16 - Ranced
    17 - PikaPuff
    18 - MojoJoeo
    19 - Inquisitor
    20 - Jubeh
    21 - BonesNYC*
    22 - Skye
    23 - House of Paincakes
    24 - Raziel_pm
    25 - pogo1250*
    26 - dav3yb
    27 - Materly

The "*" mark means that I haven't received any of the PM information I requested. Send the following to me via PM:

-Your PA forum name
    -Your XBL gamertag
    -What timezone you are in (east coast, west coast, or somewhere in between)
    -Your best availability to play (both time and days - ie. Weekend anytime or M-F after 5:00, etc)
    -Verification that you have already added PASFHDR as a friend (for ease of matching)

I was thinking we could start this thing on next Monday due to all of the "out of town" requests for this weekend. Sound good?

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MaterlyMaterly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Count me in again. Even though I lost in the first round to Chamberlain I would like to think that I've gotten a bit better since then but I'm pretty sure I am telling dirty dirty lies to myself.

Materly on
    When life gives you lemons, you squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies eyes and steal his apples - Runoir

materly.png
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sounds good to me. I'll try to cook up a decent op.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited January 2009
    Oh, SlayerVin. Regarding what happened last night. I found what my problem was. I have my 360 setup on my pc desk, the stick I was using was kinda elevated. I moved it down to the keyboard tray and it made a world of difference. I was able to exert more control over motions.

All that's left now is to mod my EX2 with a circular gate. 236 motions are such a pain in the ass with a square gate.

JonnyBot on
    edited January 2009
    Oh, SlayerVin. Regarding what happened last night. I found what my problem was. I have my 360 setup on my pc desk, the stick I was using was kinda elevated. I moved it down to the keyboard tray and it made a world of difference. I was able to exert more control over motions.

All that's left now is to mod my EX2 with a circular gate. 236 motions are such a pain in the ass with a square gate.

Yeah there was definitely a marked difference in your playing. I figured you felt like kicking it into high gear once those chumps Dover and Aumni left. Kidding!

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited January 2009
    I just set plans into motion to buy the Collector's Edition of Street Fighter 4 and the Tournament Edition Street Fighter 4 arcade stick. $230+tax...God help my bank account!

See you all next thread!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just set plans into motion to buy the Collector's Edition of Street Fighter 4 and the Tournament Edition Street Fighter 4 arcade stick. $230+tax...God help my bank account!

See you all next thread!

Just look at it this way...

You could have bought an SF4 arcade cabinet instead, so you made the fiscally sound choice.

Inquisitor on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What kind of gates do these SF4 sticks use?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited January 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »

Edit: Upon further review, it looks like they may be square gates as well.

JonnyBot on
    edited January 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »

See you all next thread!

Just look at it this way...

You could have bought an SF4 arcade cabinet instead, so you made the fiscally sound choice.

True, but tell that to the people without jobs because of this shitty market. I feel guilty dropping $230+ dollars on a video game and a controller. Oh well, the market will right itself eventually and guilt fades with time. Actually, it will probably fade sometime in mid February.

Looks like we didn't need a new thread after all. Sweet!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »

they are sqare gates, but the TE sticks are all sanwa parts, so they are VERY easy to change things out on. all the buttons use quick disconnects also, so no soldering required.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jonny, you have helped instill a fear of Cammy that will be deeply rooted for time to come.

:cry:

Taramoor on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

And you, you mother fucker. I was trying to remember your GT. You were the Cammy player that started this whole mess.

(Good games)

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited January 2009

And you, you mother fucker. I was trying to remember your GT. You were the Cammy player that started this whole mess.

(Good games)

LOL! Poor Taramoor.

Oyi Taramoor! You gonna join us for the next tourney? We need like 5 more people. Also, not to sound completely noobish, but what's the difference between a square gate and um, other types of gates. Is a square gate not the best and if so, why include it in the uber tourney addition stick?

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oyi Taramoor! You gonna join us for the next tourney? We need like 5 more people. Also, not to sound completely noobish, but what's the difference between a square gate and um, other types of gates. Is a square gate not the best and if so, why include it in the uber tourney addition stick?

From what I understand, the gate shape is the shape of the hole that the joystick is sticking out of. So having a square gate gives you four corners that the stick can go (I'm assuming up, down, left right?), and an octagonal gate gives you eight corners that the stick can go (up, down, left, right, and the four diagonals).

I'm not sure why they would go with a square gate since it seems like most people prefer octagonal for 2D fighters, but then again some people really don't mind it. I think I heard that people like the square gates more for 3D fighters (SCIV stick has a square gate, for example).

I have no personal opinion of either, all this is just what I've gathered from reading SFII threads since I started playing HD Remix. I just use the pad :) The only issues I have is the FP/FK buttons are a little inconvienient since they are mapped to the bumpers, so I think I might just pick up the SFIV pad when it comes out instead of shelling out for the stick.

House of Paincakes on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Close Pancakes. "Gates" does indeed refer to the corners that the you can feel the stick push into.

Square Gates give you NW, SW, SE, NE.

Octagon Gates give you N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW.

Circle Gates give you none.

The Hori stick that everyone buys has a Square Gate by default, but you can purchase an Octagon Gate for it and it improves the stick tremendously. It's a very easy mod, too. And cheap.

JustinSane07 on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's a new thread up. So post in that one please. :mrgreen:

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2009
    Close Pancakes. "Gates" does indeed refer to the corners that the you can feel the stick push into.

The Hori stick that everyone buys has a Square Gate by default, but you can purchase an Octagon Gate for it and it improves the stick tremendously. It's a very easy mod, too. And cheap.

Does a Octagon Gate cost that much more and why not put it into all fighting sticks? I noticed that I always had a hard time blocking down back with all the other sticks I used to own. Would the square gate have been the problem? I'd like to think that after all this time I'd know how to block low. :)

Seriously, the last thing I want to do is buy another stick only to not be able to block again. I'm also not keen on the idea of ordering and installing parts. Maybe that's just me though.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

(Good games)

LOL! Poor Taramoor.

Sadly, I'm out of state Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday, and would be very poor competition.

However, if there are any arcades in Vegas worth stopping by I'll be doing that.

Taramoor on
  • vermifaxvermifax __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009

Does a Octagon Gate cost that much more and why not put it into all fighting sticks? I noticed that I always had a hard time blocking down back with all the other sticks I used to own. Would the square gate have been the problem? I'd like to think that after all this time I'd know how to block low. :)

Seriously, the last thing I want to do is buy another stick only to not be able to block again. I'm also not keen on the idea of ordering and installing parts. Maybe that's just me though.

Square gates actually better for 2d fighting games because you have an equal % of activation area in each of the 8 directions where the areas where the stick is active for the diagonals is smaller on an octagon gate.

square_gate2.png

vs

octagon_gate.png

Source: http://slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html

vermifax on
    edited January 2009

Sadly, I'm out of state Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday, and would be very poor competition.

However, if there are any arcades in Vegas worth stopping by I'll be doing that.

That's fine, we're not starting this thing until Monday. So sign up and be a family man!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Other. Thread. You hooligans.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
This discussion has been closed.