As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Some really old board games

• risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OMG I remember fireball island. That game was sweet.

What was the game with cannons and catapults? I don't ever remember actually playing it, just setting shit up and shooting at them.

Also, drunk risk is the best board game ever.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wetsun wrote: »
    The Omega Virus. It is 16 or 17 years old.

pic401239_md.jpg
    Code..............two...two

dude... davoid and I were just talking about it

on the same page

it is awesome

I ctrl+f'd "omega" and got nothing. Also I have a picture which makes it okay.
    Code......Zero...One

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    We used to have a sort of card game where are the cards were modular pieces of space ships and you had to make these big ships. I can't remember why or what the winning goal of the game was but man the ships looked awesome in that 1970s sci-fi novel cover illustration / battlestar galactica sort of way.

Um, what else did we have. A really old D&D precursor game where you had to adventure around a dungeon and there was a GIANT WORM monster card that looked like a black pudding and I think my dad always called it the black pudding so I figured that's what it was in the game. Oh fuck, it was Dungeon! which actually came out a year after D&D but was made by the same guys.

dungeon.JPG

I wonder if they still have that...they have two huge cupboards in the living room basically stowed out with old board games that I bet nobody has even thought of looking in for years.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm gonna go in the exact opposite direction and talk about a fairly new game that I was recently introduced to:

Dominion.

It's this sort of economy/military game thing with cards

it's pretty rad

TheySlashThem on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    My sister gave us a new board game called Stonehenge which is actually a variety of different games all designed to be played on the same board. She got herself the Age of Empires board game and the intention was to start getting together for boardgame nights but it never happened and I haven't even opened Stonehenge yet.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    man I played War of the Ring a couple months ago

that was like Risk but 5 times more complicated

QuestionMarkMan on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    thorgot wrote: »
    yes to hero quest

also shogun

shogun-box.jpg

the simple-looking boardgame with the 2 hour moves

I saw that and wanted to play it, but didn't get a chance until a few years later when my brother and I found Samurai Swords at a Toys R' Us.

edit: Wait a moment, I was just looking at Wikipedia, is that the 1986 version or the new Shogun game from 2006?

Seg on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have lord of the rings risk also

and got a new version of classic risk for christmas
    and i live with my wife and 2 stepdaughters

guess how many of them want to play risk, ever

redfenix on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    yes to hero quest

also shogun

shogun-box.jpg

I saw that and wanted to play it, but didn't get a chance until a few years later when my brother and I found Samurai Swords at a Toys R' Us.

edit: Wait a moment, I was just looking at Wikipedia, is that the 1986 version or the new Shogun game from 2006?

i might have accidentally posted the new one

i meant the old one, which was also called samurai swords

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ok, bidding on a complete copy of Hero Quest now. Wish me luck.

MrMonroe on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    why does catan cost so much?

redfenix on
    edited January 2009
    Doesn't seem to be that terrible.

MrMonroe on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Anyone remember this game?

nicebox.jpg

You would run your dudes along this board:
    fireball.jpg
    and try to get the crystal. You could go through caves and over bridges. Then every once in a while you would get to roll a FRIGGIN FIREBALL down a path and cause death and destruction.

This is where the fireballs came from:
    2_s.jpg

Greatest board game ever.

EDIT: DAMN. I AM SO SLOOW. I GOT BEATED.
    Holy shit yes

I used to love this game so much it was almost unhealthy.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    stratego is almost the greatest board game of all time

second only to pokemon monopoly

Except the new version has 1 being the Scout and like 9 being the Marshal or whatever.

I guess having the 1 be the most powerful piece on the board was just too fucking complicated for some people.

It really throws me off when I'm playing the new version.

As silly as it seems...this really bothered me, haha. I was like...wait, so 3's are miners and...and what the hell?

Dangerou-Dave on
  • ValVal Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Diplomacy

This game ruins friendships.

Which is half the fun of the game. Also the BSG boardgame is pretty great, played it a few times since christmas.

Val on
    edited January 2009
    Vàl wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Diplomacy

This game ruins friendships.

Which is half the fun of the game. Also the BSG boardgame is pretty great, played it a few times since christmas.

Once some friends of mine wanted to play a long term game of Diplomacy. We were supposed to spend the week working on deals with each other and then on Saturday everyone turns in their move.

It died off after a few moves.

Seg on
    edited January 2009
    redfenix wrote: »
    I have lord of the rings risk also

and got a new version of classic risk for christmas
    and i live with my wife and 2 stepdaughters

guess how many of them want to play risk, ever

Damn, finding people to play is always a chore.

There are some places around here, little comic shops and stuff, where people meet once a week to play board games. If you get desperate you could probably try one of those? I personally have never been...

Dangerou-Dave on
  • StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man I know this has mostly been older games but can we talk about
    FFGVA09SM.jpg

This is maybe the best team based board game I've ever played and everything about it is fantastic.

Also A Game of Thrones is really good if you like Risk.

Stationary on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Talisman is the one and only

and some others I guess

This. But I miss my expansion pack with the random endings.

I loaned it to a good friend who was usually pretty good about those things, but it never came back and is now in the possession of an old school mate I haven't seen in 10+ years.

Oh well, I still have the City and Timescape expansions, I guess.

yes to hero quest

also shogun

shogun-box.jpg

i might have accidentally posted the new one

i meant the old one, which was also called samurai swords

Yes. 1986 version is awesome.

I used to play it with my regular opponent for Axis and Allies, as well. Sadly, he had some fairly useless house rules which made A&A less interesting (Infinite capacity transports), so we switched to this more or less exclusively after a while.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited January 2009
    Is that based on the book in the George R.R. Martin's series?

Is there as much incest in the board game as the book?

Edit: also, I played A&A for a year or two with my buddies before we realized you weren't allowed to place your newly purchased reinforcements anywhere on the map.

MrMonroe on
    edited January 2009
    Jesus, two sentences into the wiki page
    Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and the North, executes a man of the Night's Watch who has betrayed his vows and fled from the Wall. His sons Robb and Bran, his bastard son Jon Snow, and his ward Theon Greyjoy all attend. After the beheading, Robb finds a dead direwolf (the symbol of House Stark), killed by the antlers of a stag (the symbol of House Baratheon), which had given birth to five pups before it died.

Also, according to the page you linked, the board game is based off the book.

Dangerou-Dave on
    edited January 2009
    I just remember a scene where some kid climbs the outside of a large castle to see his mother fucking her brother and is so surprised that he falls to his death.

It's pretty silly.

MrMonroe on
    edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Is that based on the book in the George R.R. Martin's series?

Is there as much incest in the board game as the book?

Yes it is based on the books you take control of one of the houses and try to take over as much of the map as you can in 10 turns.

Each turn consists of turning over 3 cards that each cause different things to happen ranging from fighting for turn order to not being able to play certain orders for that turn. After that you place orders and then execute them and man it is just so much fun to fuck someones entire turn over with one raid order.

Stationary on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just remember a scene where some kid climbs the outside of a large castle to see his mother fucking her brother and is so surprised that he falls to his death.

It's pretty silly.

That's, that's not right at all.

Anywho. I found an incredibly old Chinese Checkers set at a yard sale once. It had metal marbles.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited January 2009

It's pretty silly.

You didn't read it then, I am geussing someone told you about it. Someone who is shitty at comprehending written stories.

Seg on
    edited January 2009
    Yeah I hadn't even seen that but that is not what happened at all.

Stationary on
    edited January 2009

It's pretty silly.

You didn't read it then, I am geussing someone told you about it. Someone who is shitty at comprehending written stories.

I read it perhaps nine or ten years ago. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

MrMonroe on
  • BugmanBugman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    best board game hands down:

3m1901.jpg

Bugman on
    edited January 2009
    Wow, that looks awful.

I'm trying to find pictures of the Anti-Monopoly game we have up in NH, but all I can find is this totally gay hippie bullshit where some people play as free marketeers and the others as big, evil, corporate bastards. The one I remember has you playing as an anti-trust litigator and you had to rack up what was essentially political capital by busting the big firms.

MrMonroe on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Up at my grandparent's beach house they have some mad old board games from like the 1960's or some shit.

There's like the oldest copy of Monopoly, some dutch language rummicub-type thing I never learned the rules to as I don't speak dutch, and this neat old game called 'Top Cop' or something.

The idea was to go around the board collecting clues and matching them to crimes. When the clues in your collection matched an outstanding crime, you 'caught' that criminal, and another crime would be added to the stack. Eventually, you run out of crimes, and the person who caught the most criminals won.

It's pretty basic stuff, but it's kinda neat to play because it's all yellowed and dogearred with age, and is made from post-WWII materials.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    More like bo....aw damnit, mike.

Bedlam on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Axis and Allies is great when you can find people who are willing to play

RubberAC on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    We used to have a sort of card game where are the cards were modular pieces of space ships and you had to make these big ships. I can't remember why or what the winning goal of the game was but man the ships looked awesome in that 1970s sci-fi novel cover illustration / battlestar galactica sort of way.

Um, what else did we have. A really old D&D precursor game where you had to adventure around a dungeon and there was a GIANT WORM monster card that looked like a black pudding and I think my dad always called it the black pudding so I figured that's what it was in the game. Oh fuck, it was Dungeon! which actually came out a year after D&D but was made by the same guys.

dungeon.JPG

I wonder if they still have that...they have two huge cupboards in the living room basically stowed out with old board games that I bet nobody has even thought of looking in for years.
    holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    I was the king of stratego

I have yet to be beaten, every kid at school used to challenge me when I'd bring it to play at the christmas concert
    man, I love stratego

I've got this version, a totally swank Limited Library Edition version that is a fully wooden box, styled to look like a leather-bound library book, with gold leaf lettering on the spine and shit. So fucking sweet. Picked it up at Target, who had some exclusivity deal, for like $20. They had Scrabble, Monopoly, Risk and a couple other games that were styled the same. WIsh I would have got all of them, they would look so fucking ritzy, all lined up on a bookshelf.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited January 2009
    oh woah, they still have them on amazon for twenty bucks a pop

that's a rad fucking deal

Risk

Yahtze

Life

Scrabble

Jenga

Monopoly

no more Stratego, though, apparently

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Who wants too play some fucking talisman

Lets do this shit bitches

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Godddd

Is there anyone in phoenix who would like to play these with me?

because I can get my friends to play risk and have lots of fun but thats it

Ol' Sparky on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

dungeon.JPG

holy shit holy shit holy shit holy shit

Oh shit, I remember playing that a couple of times.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to try to buy a copy of that tonight on ebay, I think.

If I find out any of you dicks are bidding against me, I swear to god I will rape your families.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was the king of stratego

I have yet to be beaten, every kid at school used to challenge me when I'd bring it to play at the christmas concert
    man, I love stratego

I've got this version, a totally swank Limited Library Edition version that is a fully wooden box, styled to look like a leather-bound library book, with gold leaf lettering on the spine and shit. So fucking sweet. Picked it up at Target, who had some exclusivity deal, for like $20. They had Scrabble, Monopoly, Risk and a couple other games that were styled the same. WIsh I would have got all of them, they would look so fucking ritzy, all lined up on a bookshelf.

Yesssss, Rachel and I got that for our wedding! It's fucking sweet.

Moriveth on