As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SFII HDRemix: Your Shit is Going Get Kicked in the Fuck!

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going online to continue my losing streak. Please join me if you're down for it!

Every loss makes you better, keep at it. I lost my first 20 or so ranked matches, now I'm something like 115-70. I'm happy with that :)

House of Paincakes on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going online to continue my losing streak. Please join me if you're down for it!

Every loss makes you better, keep at it. I lost my first 20 or so ranked matches, now I'm something like 115-70. I'm happy with that :)

How do you know your W/L ratio? Whenever I fight someone in ranked match my W/L and theirs always show up as 0/0.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I felt a major breakthrough in my playing ability tonight. I was actually reliably doing crossup combos and recovery reversals!

Luckily I think I randomly found a player who was at about equal ability to myself, so I ended up being able to play for more than like 1 minute at a time :D

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »

How do you know your W/L ratio? Whenever I fight someone in ranked match my W/L and theirs always show up as 0/0.

You can just check the leaderboards. Go to whatever version you play (probably remixed) and then go to "all time rankings". Press right once and you should see yourself.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

The reason why it says 0/0 is because that W/L record is only for that session. Since it's your first game in that "session" you both have 0 wins, 0 losses. In ranked matches this is pointless because you only play one game. In a player match though (where you'll play multiple games against the same group of people) it will say your wins and losses while playing in that room.

Make sense?

House of Paincakes on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh yeah, the tournament. . . are we playing with remixed rules or classic? (please tell me remixed because that's all I practice)

acidlacedpenguin on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

The reason why it says 0/0 is because that W/L record is only for that session. Since it's your first game in that "session" you both have 0 wins, 0 losses. In ranked matches this is pointless because you only play one game. In a player match though (where you'll play multiple games against the same group of people) it will say your wins and losses while playing in that room.

Make sense?

Yeah, makes complete sense. I only played player match once and didn't notice. Thanks!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh yeah, the tournament. . . are we playing with remixed rules or classic? (please tell me remixed because that's all I practice)

Remixed.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Shizumaru wrote: »

Its pretty much a dick move imo.. I can't really take most akuma players serious anyway though so..

My friends and I came up with a name for Ken/Ryu/Akuma players. We call them "Team Tuesday". The name was derived from when we'd play Capcom vs SNK 2 in the arcades and these scrubby guys would come up and only choose Ken/Ryu/Akuma.

One day I just got sick of it and declared aloud in the arcade, "Wow, Ken, Ryu, Akuma. Never play against that team unless, (Looks at watch) oh nevermind, it's Tuesday. I forgot that everyone has to play shoto's on Tuesdays."

Since that day, they were forever called Team Tuesday (TT for short). Sometimes if they were feeling a little adventurous, they would substitute Ryu or Ken (never Akuma though!) for someone like Sagat, Haomaru, Ryo, or Iori. o_O I have a hard time taking anyone playing TT seriously.

It is quite entertaining to say things like, "Hmmm...TT on Thursday?" or "Whoa that was close! You almost selected someone interesting."

I get that they're easy to play, but good lord why not try some different characters every once in a while?

There are good players who main Ken/Ryu that aren't scubby/boring. There is an easy way to tell the difference between a scrubby TT player and a real shoto player, ready? If they start the match by jumping backwards and throwing a fireball than you have a 90% chance of playing against TT player. Check it out next time you play online and see if I'm wrong. Sign number 2: A true TT player never cancels a footsweep into a fireball. NEVER! A newer player will learn this eventually or see someone else do it and add it to their move list. TT's never evolve. It's always fireball -> dragonpunch then complain if it doesn't work.

Do your part and pwn some TT's today!

Thank you! I actually don't mind playing a GOOD shoto.. but the majority just spam fireballs and use other lame tatics to scrape wins.. annoying as hell.. I almost never use a shoto to start out if I'm playing continuous matches.. their play style just gets boring after awhile. I have a lot more fun with the other characters in the roster regardless of tier..

Shizumaru on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That "spam" and those "lame tactics" shouldn't be frowned upon if people are actually winning.

Meiz on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meiz wrote: »
    That "spam" and those "lame tactics" shouldn't be frowned upon if people are actually winning.

Exactly. Play to win.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited January 2009
    what's a lame tic-tacs?

Also I feel like I should be defending my honor in this. You guys make me feel guilty maining Ryu so much so that I feel like I should switch to some other character just to save my self from all the "olololol lame tactics, shoto, you pick Ryu so you must be scrub!!!!!111" atmosphere. . .

I dunno, maybe I'm reading this all wrong, but. . .

acidlacedpenguin on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    what's a lame tic-tacs?

Also I feel like I should be defending my honor in this. You guys make me feel guilty maining Ryu so much so that I feel like I should switch to some other character just to save my self from all the "olololol lame tactics, shoto, you pick Ryu so you must be scrub!!!!!111" atmosphere. . .

Scrubs, by definition, are the people who are calling you cheap when they lose to whatever you bring to the table.

Meiz on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I lose to something like fireball lockdown or tick throws, I only have myself to blame. A ton of characters can get out of fireball traps now, and I've been an idiot when it comes to reacting to tick throws for more than a decade now.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    what's a lame tic-tacs?

Look if you can actually play and win as Ryu, then awesome. Most people jump back and spam fireballs and dragon punches. We eat these people alive. And it is boring fighting them because it never changes.

I fought a Ryu once that, for three rounds, jumped back as the first move and fireball spammed. I play cammy, so I did her spinning fist attack that goes through projectiles and proceeded to corner trap and combo him down. Seriously, all three rounds played out like this. Like somehow his pattern would magically work all of a sudden. Not once did he change his tactics up.

JonnyBot on
    edited January 2009
    thanks for the definitions Meiz and Jonny.

edit: Jonny answered question.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    GG to Taramoor. I like your Cammy style, especially the excessive amount of throws. I love throws. Throws make the world go round. In fact, there should be 6 throw buttons and to do an attack move you press towards+FP or FK. Yeah, that would own.

Best part of the evening was that guy playing Ken. After losing like 15 times he finally declares, "Man, I'm going to play some Call of Duty 4." :lol:

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am going to remove about 10-15 people from my buddy list so I can add a bunch of you either tomorrow night or Saturday night.

This game really does infuriate me with the 360 controller, at times, though. The D-pad is fine for me for the 3D fighters, but this? No, I'm having some issues.

The Sneak! on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    GG to Taramoor. I like your Cammy style, especially the excessive amount of throws. I love throws. Throws make the world go round. In fact, there should be 6 throw buttons and to do an attack move you press towards+FP or FK. Yeah, that would own.

Best part of the evening was that guy playing Ken. After losing like 15 times he finally declares, "Man, I'm going to play some Call of Duty 4." :lol:

The best part about all the throwing is that I'm just trying to punch and/or kick but you people just keep getting too damn close.

It's really your own damn fault when you think about it.

Taramoor on
    edited January 2009
    Slayer and Chamberlain are playing (aka they are kicking my ass) on Live right now if anyone wants in.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

edited January 2009
    GGs tonight, except when illiterate internet manbaby totalimmortal decided to shit on our parade. Probably should've made it a private room. Oh well, I beat him once, I'm happy.

As for Ryu, if you're being called "cheap", you're playing the game right.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I always open with something different, usually for the worse, spinning kick into fierce dragon punches for example.

And how the hell do I make Akuma teleport? I've tried Dragon punch with an extra p but that doesn't work.

SkutSkut on
    edited January 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I always open with something different, usually for the worse, spinning kick into fierce dragon punches for example.

And how the hell do I make Akuma teleport? I've tried Dragon punch with an extra p but that doesn't work.

I think it's the dragon punch motion, but 421 instead of 623.

JonnyBot on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SlayerVin wrote: »
    GGs tonight, except when illiterate internet manbaby totalimmortal decided to shit on our parade. Probably should've made it a private room. Oh well, I beat him once, I'm happy.

He called me a fag. I took it as a compliment regarding my secret yogo technique.

chamberlain on
    edited January 2009

He called me a fag. I took it as a compliment regarding my secret yogo technique.

ggs you two.

#32 needs to sign up for this tournament so we can start this shit.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

edited January 2009

ggs you two.

#32 needs to sign up for this tournament so we can start this shit.

Ugh I'm going to get dominated.

JonnyBot on
  • ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meiz wrote: »

Eh.. different strokes I guess.. If people have to rely solely on that kinda stuff to win, thats kinda lame. I don't get the whole play to win thing really.. unless its a tourney.. I'm just playing to have fun. Matches with fireball trapping or excessing zoning or tick throws are boring as hell to me. I'd rather lose and have an interesting match without having to resort to bullshit like that. That said, I can return the favors to people who chose to partake is such activity and it mostly applies to 95% of shoto players, and the goddamned turtle-ing guile players. Those just aren't fun matches to me though..

Shizumaru on
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shizumaru wrote: »
    Eh.. different strokes I guess.. If people have to rely solely on that kinda stuff to win, thats kinda lame. I don't get the whole play to win thing really.. unless its a tourney.. I'm just playing to have fun. Matches with fireball trapping or excessing zoning or tick throws are boring as hell to me. I'd rather lose and have an interesting match without having to resort to bullshit like that. That said, I can return the favors to people who chose to partake is such activity and it mostly applies to 95% of shoto players, and the goddamned turtle-ing guile players. Those just aren't fun matches to me though..

If you want people to hold back so you can have fun, just ask people to use characters they're not good with. Nobody likes to sandbag, but nobody minds using off characters every once in a while.

High level play doesn't interest everybody, and it's totally normal. But if you're gonna tell me that people that play competitively aren't playing to have fun, then that's just straight up bullshit. Not calling you out or anything, but when I hear "I'm playing for fun" it really makes my skin crawl, because what the hell do you think I'm doing? Playing for torture?

Playing casually is a much more accurate phrase. If everyone is just messing around, there's a smaller chance of people getting frustrated. I can't speak for everyone else, but I like it when people try to fireball trap me, or do gay Guile tricks because it gives me a chance to find a way around them, and improve.

Jubeh on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got a card so I can play again but I dunno if I'll be able to connect to some people, nat is still on strict and I don't wanna brick my router messing with the DD WRT.

SkutSkut on
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just play to win, but it's not just for the sake of winning. I basically just like playing to improve my own skills versus everyone else. If I lose I just try to see what I did wrong and think about how I could beat the same person in the future. Sure it can be frustrating when Gief traps you in the corner with repeated bodyslams and jumping kicks then proceeds to tick throw the shit out of you, but I find it pretty accomplishing when you can figure out how to counter those kind of tactics and win. This is why I can't stand people who drop when they're about to lose, because if you seriously can't take losses along with wins, there's no reason for you to be playing the game in the first place.

TheSuperWoot on
    edited January 2009
    GG btw Thorne. Even though you called me a whore and ridiculed me for picking red Ken over lime Ken.

We both have a very similar controller handicap.

Jubeh on
  • hojuhoju Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow Taramoor is that your Cammy aka Bricobross?

Impressive, I need some more time playing against you. I felt like my Ryu vs. Cammy matchup improved like 20 times just from our games today and that I was improving each game. In the last one I even won a round!

Ever have it where it just clicks?

Later tonight I was playing random matches and just pulling everything off 100%. One guy I got a perfect on in the second match just sat there motionless the entirety of the third match. So much fun. Not to say I didn't lose but when I did they were good losses.

I don't know how to qualify that, sometimes when you lose it's just aggravating but sometimes (I guess if they're good enough to outsmart you and be impressive but not TOO good so that you have a fighting chance.)

I played one of the best Chun Li matches, we kept on psyching each other out whether or not our next move was going to be a FB or her jump-in vs my cr.FP. It was too late and my DP execution was completely gone or I think I might've been able to beat her. Good games random Chun Li!

hoju on
    426647-1.png
    edited January 2009
    Yeah that reminds me. I have to add you Taramoor so I can learn how to scrub it out against Cammy. Though to be honest, I don't know how much I'll be playing this after SF4 comes out. It's much closer to my main game, which is Alpha 2. But ST is still fun and I will definitely still compete in the PA tourneys.

Also, I'm biting the bullet and learning Guilty Gear. I feel like a vain in my forehead is about to burst.

"hj.IAD can be performed as 296 or 2866. You hj cancel the 5HS and perform an IAD at once."

What? WHAT?

Jubeh on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    high jump in air dash. down, up, right, or down, up-right, right. don't know what the neutral HS means.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited January 2009
    I was half joking. It's the start of an Order-Sol combo. You're canceling the HS and then going into a high jump air dash.

Jubeh on
    edited January 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »
    Also, I'm biting the bullet and learning Guilty Gear. I feel like a vain in my forehead is about to burst.

Aww, you're playing XX Slash for the ps2 right? I've been itching to get back into guilty gear and am either going to pick up a used copy of XX #Reload or download it for the 360 and would like some people to play with. Does anyone know how it fares on Live?

I'm in the boat with people who have fun with street fighter by playing to win and learning. I think at most of our stages, a loss at this point is more due to ignorance than skill, which sometimes makes losses all the more grating. Constant learning process.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited January 2009
    doesn't a simple high priority reversal kill tick throws though?

acidlacedpenguin on
    edited January 2009
    doesn't an extremely well-timed and thus fairly difficult to regularly pull off high priority reversal kill tick throws though?

Yes, yes it does.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just 1 more person! If we don't get said person, 1 lucky player will be getting a first round bye. Also as a reminder, I plan on creating the bracket this weekend and getting the matches started on Monday. I expect this tournament to take 2 weeks or so depending on how many matches we can fit in on the weekends. I'm also going to be recording the last 4 matches off my TV via a camcorder. Once finished, I'll upload them to youtube for us all to enjoy.

Finally, it's my birthday today and I'm feeling very old. *sigh* :(

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MaterlyMaterly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My girl is gone for the weekend so I am going to SF it up till the night is long. We should start a private lobby for PA guys and have it out.

Materly on
    When life gives you lemons, you squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies eyes and steal his apples - Runoir

materly.png