As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding Massive Gas - The International Year of Astronomy

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    that myth was debunked years ago

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    every night, by your mother babylon

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    that myth was debunked years ago

It kills me to think that we should already have a research station on the moon; I mean, the space station is cool and all, but we need to start colonizing shit with the quickness. Either that, or we need to start putting contraceptives in the water.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm too stupid to understand most of this but those pictures sure are perty

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't want to embarrass anyone by the fact that my news is more impressive than anything else posted recently, but tonight will be the biggest full moon of 2009. I'll be there with bells on.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    It's probably just a weather balloon.

It was only the planet Venus.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love this picture of the sunset on Mars. Apparently this is very close to what the human eye would see if you were on Mars.

PIA07997_spiritmars_c800.jpg

Our sunsets are better, take that Mars!

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    where's my omnidirectional laser "WE ARE HERE" thing

we need to build that

the paranoid lunatic in me says no

no we do not

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Erios wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    It's probably just a weather balloon.

It was only the planet Venus.

See, some light, uh, reflected off... offa Venus

into some swamp gas

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    I love this picture of the sunset on Mars. Apparently this is very close to what the human eye would see if you were on Mars.

using that as my cell phone background since forever, just love it

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »
    I don't want to embarrass anyone by the fact that my news is more impressive than anything else posted recently, but tonight will be the biggest full moon of 2009. I'll be there with bells on.

Good to know. The moon should be up by now, believe I'll bundle up and go for a stroll.

My favorite fact about the moon is that it's bucking for a promotion. A pair of bodies is only classified as a planet/satellite system if the barycenter is within the larger body. If the barycenter outside either body, it's a double planetary system. Since the moon is currently getting about 4 cm further away from us every year, that means eventually it will cease to be a moon and become a planet. Planet Luna. If anyone is reading this on the moon in around ~50 million years, this will be a good time to stage a revolution against your cruel Terran masters.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »

man there's a certain something though

eventually writers looking for inspiration will go to mars instead of alaska

Faricazy on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The history channel show 'the universe' episode on nebulae has a pretty good description of how they do a lot of false colour photos, as I understand it they assign the highest peak of sulfur's emission spectrum to red (it's usually more in infrared), oxygen's to blue, and hydrogen's to green (I have probably got the colours wrong there, but you get the idea)

L|ama on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    The history channel show 'the universe' episode on nebulae has a pretty good description of how they do a lot of false colour photos, as I understand it they assign the highest peak of sulfur's emission spectrum to red (it's usually more in infrared), oxygen's to blue, and hydrogen's to green (I have probably got the colours wrong there, but you get the idea)

I'm pretty sure that false color is dependent on where and what is taking the image, I don't think there is any pan-astronomy standard for assigning color values.

Fun fact: neither the Hubble telescope nor the Mars Rovers take "color" photographs. The color images we see are composites assembled through multiple black and white photos taken through color filters.

Usagi on
  • Options
    Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i just bought the book version of Cosmos by Carl Sagan

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • Options
    Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The moon is lookin' mighty fine this night.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The moon is lookin' mighty fine this night.
    Betelgeuse wrote: »

Yeah it was pretty nice looking tonight. It was rather vibrant, which was nice. The details aren't usually that visible, at least from where I see the moon at

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tried taking a photo with my digital camera but the thing is old and a piece of crap. So I took a few shots with my SLR camera which I hope will turn out better. But they probably won't.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm watching a show called Hubble's Universe or something on the Nat Geo channel.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A lot of those shows cover the same ground, which gets boring pretty quickly.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So there's a guy talking live on CNN's website right now about how they've apparently detected methane in the atmosphere on Mars. Pretty interesting shit.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    alien farts

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    pretty much yeah

I didn't get in at the start of this so I'm not sure exactly what they discovered, they're in a Q/A session at the moment. There's a display that says Mars: An Active Planet on it sooooo

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh.

They're going to drill under the surface because they suspect there's going to be either a form of water or subsurface life.

Several kilometers.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    WindfayirWindfayir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Turtles.

All the way down.

Windfayir on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How the fuck do you even organise a multi-kilometer drill site on another planet?

That's... mind-buggering.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    CNN article:
    Scientists were able to verify the presence of water-ice in the Martian subsurface, find small concentrations of salts that could be nutrients for life, and observe snow descending from the clouds.

That just blows my fucking mind

we are millions of miles away watching it fucking snow on an alien planet

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    also fart gas

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Finding Massive Gas - The Journey of Discovery Into Pip's Anus

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    no drilling required!

...or is it :winky:

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, science-y question. Back on page 14, a picture of Jupiter was posted that made me curious. What exactly is it that makes the different gas colorations almost completely horizontal, even to the point where there are actually nearly perfect lines all across the atmosphere? You've got a few exceptions in the Eye and its smaller fellows that dot across the "surface," but even these tend to be squeezed horizontally.

My first thought was "duh, it's the rotation, you moron." But then I thought that while Earth's own clouds tend towards being much longer horizontally than vertically, they still don't ever line up nearly as perfect as Jupiter's gaseous makeup can.

You probably can't really compare a solid planet to one made up of gas. I would assume the gas on Jupiter stays around for much longer than Earth's and has more of a chance to be affected by the rotation than our own clouds. But I'm thinking it might also have to do with Jupiter's much larger mass. I was just curious if anyone had more definite facts than just assumptions pulled largely from my ass.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you viewed the Jupiter atmosphere at the same distance as the Earths it would appear equally in turmoil and less organized.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    think of them as very powerful and very long term jet streams

edit: Scarab also makes an excellent point

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Keep in mind that Jupiter is also rotating way, way faster than Earth. The Jovian day is only about ten hours long. Factor in the sheer size of the thing, and the rate of rotation at the equator is nearly thirty times that of Earth. That creates a huge amount of torsion on a very deep atmosphere.

The truth is, though, that we really don't know much about Jupiter. We're pretty sure that the belts we see are the result of alternating high-level and low-level systems that feed into one another, but the fact that we still haven't developed a really good turbulence model mathematically means that we don't have any way to model Jupiter's atmosphere short of dropping scads of probes into the mix and seeing what happens. And that's going to be expensive and probably an unpopular idea until we're really sure that there's no life in the atmosphere that we're going to be contaminating.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'd be really surprised if a significant number of scientists or the public expressed concerns about contaminating/harming possible life forms on Jupiter simply from sending in probes

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jedoc, you give me such a fucking boner.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    :winky:

tDru: Yeah, you're probably right. After all, we just burned a probe in Jupiter's atmosphere to avoid contaminating possible life on Europa. Still, a boy can dream.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    get in mah butt jedoc

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    this is so cool

Bridgeview_corr_smlQuinnell_800.jpg
    APOD wrote:
    If every picture tells a story, this one might make a novel. The six month long exposure compresses the time from December 17, 2007 to June 21, 2008 into a single point of view. Dubbed a solargraph, the remarkable image was recorded with a simple pinhole camera made from a drink can lined with a piece of photographic paper.

Usagi on