As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

On The Next...Arrested Development

• Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    every time i see charlize theron in any role now, i expect her to have a horrible british accent. and be retarded. i still think the whole mr. f build up and pay off is the best on the show

also, first marta was the hottest

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    FortyTwoFortyTwo strongest man in the world The Land of Pleasant Living Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Matt_S wrote: »
    Cuckoo-ca-cha!
    A coodle-doodle-doo!
    Cha-chee-cha!
    Cuckah-cuckah-cuckah-cah!

Has anyone in this family ever seen a real chicken?!

FortyTwo on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    YaYa wrote: »
    Goooaaaattmmmoooonnn

I am seriously drawing a blank on ideas for Gnerfs I'm sorry

can you steer me into a clearer direction

Uh okay

I'll come up with some suggestions.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Like the guy wearing a 500 dollar suit is going to hold the elevator for a guy who doesn't make that in a month... COME ON!

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I saw Judy Greer (Kitty) on an episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and I was thrown by her playing anybody but Kitty, even more so as her character was a competent store owner.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I saw Judy Greer (Kitty) on an episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and I was thrown by her playing anybody but Kitty, even more so as her character was a competent store owner.

wait

oh my god

that's who that was? Fatty Magoo was Kitty?

whooooaaaa

YaYa on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

wait

oh my god

whooooaaaa
    I know

I had to look it up on Wikipedia to find out who it was

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm afraid I just blue myself.

Schide on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

wait

oh my god

whooooaaaa
    I know

I had to look it up on Wikipedia to find out who it was

I guess she's just unrecognizable unless she's flashing people

YaYa on
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh fuck, I love this show.

That video with David Cross is pretty accurate though, they were immensely well reviewed but yet they got canceled.

Swill on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hermano...

Swill on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mother is going to blow a cow.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Schide wrote: »

There has got to be a better way of saying that...

You should carry around a tape recorder and re-listen to the things you say.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »

There has got to be a better way of saying that...

You should carry around a tape recorder and re-listen to the things you say.

Oh Tobias, you blowhard

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Swill wrote: »

That video with David Cross is pretty accurate though, they were immensely well reviewed but yet they got canceled.

Reviews are one thing, ratings are another. For once it wasn't FOX's fault. AD's ratings were never great and it was on the chopping block by the end of the second season. The third may have been cut short but it wasn't really justified financially in the first place.

People just didn't get it.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Butters wrote: »

Reviews are one thing, ratings are another. For once it wasn't FOX's fault. AD's ratings were never great and it was on the chopping block by the end of the second season. The third may have been cut short but it wasn't really justified financially in the first place.

People just didn't get it.

I don't agree with this. I had never even heard of this show until after it was cancelled. I watched it and IMMEDIATELY "got it". So has everyone I have recommended it to. Its a great show.

Problem was no one knew about it when it was on. People "not getting it" was not the problem.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh you got it? Oh that must mean everyone that watched it at first got it.

Never you mind. I got it all wrong.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Oh you got it? Oh that must mean everyone that watched it at first got it.

Never you mind. I got it all wrong.

Really, pick out one single part of my statement and then use that as a reubttal?

I also said that every single person I have recommended it to has gotten it as well. The primary problem is that every single person who "gets it" (see "everyone" above) almost immediately asks when the show is on. They never even knew this was a cancelled show.

I am not just basing this on the small sample size of "me". You were the one who made a generic statement saying that "people just don't get it" with nothing to back that statement up.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    i mean i don't have any problem with the threads. go on talk about your shows

but the people that are all "<3 <3<3" and "OMG I LOVE YOU" when people make these jokes are just like "seriously?"

absolutely.

It's not like this is The Young Ones, or something else that is actually a bit obscure.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No you're right. Everyone watched the show and thought it was awesome while it was on and it had sky high ratings and that's why it's entering it's 8th season.

TV is about money, dumbass. If people loved it and it had good ratings it wouldn't have been cancelled.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I also said that every single person I have recommended it to has gotten it as well.

Do you imagine that it is actually that you are only recommending it to people who are already pre-disposed towards getting it?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No you're right. Everyone watched the show and thought it was awesome while it was on and it had sky high ratings and that's why it's entering it's 8th season.

TV is about money, dumbass. If people loved it and it had good ratings it wouldn't have been cancelled.

TV is about money. Got it. Thank you for lowering my "dumbass"-ness.

The show didn't have enough viewers. Could be for multiple reasons. Two of which are 1) Not enough people knew it was on or what it was about AND 2) the people watching didn't like it and never watched it again.

If people loved it, it wouldn't have been cancelled is also a true statement. Problem is that we now see a HUGE amount of people loving this show. AND it was raking in the awards at the time the show was out. This proves that the show had/has the potential to be loved. So who's fault was it that the show wasn't loved when it was out? I would say marketing. You say its because people didn't get it, which in all honesty makes no sense seeing as how there are TONS of people who "get it"now. Even enough that they are making a movie.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    I also said that every single person I have recommended it to has gotten it as well.

Do you imagine that it is actually that you are only recommending it to people who are already pre-disposed towards getting it?

Also they probably got to watch it on DVD which helps a lot considering the show relies very heavily on self-reference and continuation.

I don't see what is so hard to understand here. I have no difficulty imagining 90% of America's typical audience watching an episode halfway through, not getting half of the complex jokes, and changing the channel to CSI: Des Moines.

EDIT: Obi, you do know there are movies that review well, don't succeed in the box office, and then become very popular once released on DVD don't you?

Butters on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Good point. Thing is that we are talking about whether or not the show is "get-able". I know a fuck-ton of people who love this show. Its obviously "get-able".

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »
    Apparently he is the last cast member that they are trying to lock down for the movie. George Michael thinks he is too big for his britches now apparently.

yeah, it is kind of a piss off

I mean, I can understand him maybe not wanting to always be associated with the role that he did when he was a kid.

then again, he is still just doing that same exact role over and over again in every fucking movie that he does anyway.

Without AD he would have been nothing, and his refusal to do the movie just makes him look like a giant ass.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Good point. Thing is that we are talking about whether or not the show is "get-able". I know a fuck-ton of people who love this show. Its obviously "get-able".

No one has said that it is impossible to get. CLEARLY that is possible, because we all seem to get it.

The issue is that the general public doesn't get it. The fact that your friends get it doesn't prove otherwise. People tend to befriend others with similar tastes, afterall.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Betelgeuse wrote: »
    Apparently he is the last cast member that they are trying to lock down for the movie. George Michael thinks he is too big for his britches now apparently.

then again, he is still just doing that same exact role over and over again in every fucking movie that he does anyway.

So true.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

No one has said that it is impossible to get. CLEARLY that is possible, because we all seem to get it.

The issue is that the general public doesn't get it. The fact that your friends get it doesn't prove otherwise. People tend to befriend others with similar tastes, afterall.

Screw the general public then. (or maybe not, that would result in alot of STDs)

Answer to the problem: If the show had been on HBO or something it would still be on now.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I suppose so. My wish is they would do what family guy did. That is they would gain huge popularity for a canceled show, and they would bring it back.

Except not terrible like the new family guy episodes.

Swill on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Screw the general public then. (or maybe not, that would result in alot of STDs)

Answer to the problem: If the show had been on HBO or something it would still be on now.

that's not an answer. That is a completely separate hypothetical

look, either admit that you were wrong, or just drop the subject.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I suppose so. My wish is they would do what family guy did. That is they would gain huge popularity for a canceled show, and they would bring it back.

that's the problem with what family guy did. the new episodes are awful because they're aimed more for ratings than they are for being good. Family Guy is the Dane Cook of cartoon. There's something actually decent underneath, but instead it just panders to the lowest common denominator of it's audience through quick movements and funny sounds.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Exactly. They take the jokes that everyone laughed at the first time (the creepy pedophile guy, the chicken fight, and the mispronunciation of words) and repeat them over and over, because people laughed at the one time.

Swill on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

that's not an answer. That is a completely separate hypothetical

look, either admit that you were wrong, or just drop the subject.

The problem of the show being cancelled can't be solved because its already happened. Therefore ANY answer to stopping something that has already happened will be a hypothetical. Cool your jets.

Here's the truth: People didn't watch the show, it didn't make money, therefore it got cancelled.

Here are opinions: People didn't get it. The show wasn't marketed. blah blah blah.

Pretty sure my opinion is solid by actually giving some semblance of proof /logical argument showting that that problem wasn't that people couldn't "get it" but rather the problem was that the right people weren't given the chance to "get it". That is a direct result of marketing not doing their job. THAT was the problem.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Obi, don't try to pretend that you are being logical.

You're the one who tried to use anecdotal evidence.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Well as I understand it Family Guy was canceled because it pissed people off not because of poor ratings so their comeback made a lot more sense.

I don't know if I'd would wish for it to come back but I'd definitely like to see Bateman in more things. He's fucking great.

Butters on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think even some Fox execs said the problem with the show was that is was "too smart", and pretty much every review and article about it mentions that so it certainly was an issue with it getting canceled.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I think even some Fox execs said the problem with the show was that is was "too smart", and pretty much every review and article about it mentions that so it certainly was an issue with it getting canceled.

I remember seeing Will Arnett on Conan once. He was plugging the season 2 finale of when announcing they had been ok'd to do a third he made it somewhat obvious FOX was giving them another shot even though their ratings didn't support it.

Then he did air guitar to the Law & Order beginning theme.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Well as I understand it Family Guy was canceled because it pissed people off not because of poor ratings so their comeback made a lot more sense.

I don't know if I'd would wish for it to come back but I'd definitely like to see Bateman in more things. He's fucking great.

it was a combination.

Family guy offended people and as a result it got moved around in scheduling

as a result of being moved around, people didn't know when it was on, so it got poor ratings.

Evander on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    brb guys watchin arrested development

Projeck on