As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hidden Emoticons

ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
Are there undocumented emoticons on the forums? I've seen people using some that I don't see on the main list. Specifically, there's one with a little guy and a cone hat and he's using a rod like he is teaching something, and theres another one with a ghost and it says "It's a mystery". There's also a better version of this D: where the mouth is actually black and better detailed.

???

Obs on

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    emotobama.gif

Image tags.

MKR on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I was under the impression people just posted the images for those.

I think they're SA memes.

japan on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Specifically, there's one with a little guy and a cone hat and he's using a rod like he is teaching something. There's also a better version of this D: where the mouth is actually black and better detailed

science.gif and gonk.gif, perhaps?

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    emotscaredey7.gif

I'd link to a huge list of them on another forum, but I don't know if the forum owner would be ok with it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn, why aren't these official? Copyrighted? Still looking for that little ghost though

Obs on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    emotiiamhu4.gif

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dong_eh2.gif

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    emotscaredey7.gif

I'd link to a huge list of them on another forum, but I don't know if the forum owner would be ok with it.

Lowtax finds great delight in fucking with people who site whore.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited January 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    emotscaredey7.gif

Lowtax finds great delight in fucking with people who site whore.
    You're assuming they'd come from SA.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well those emoticons did originally come from there. So stealing from a secondary source is just a bit weird.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited January 2009
    Why do they have better emoticons than us? Bigger Budget?

Obs on
    edited January 2009

Probably more inclination to add new ones. If a contest were held in AC to make new ones, we could probably have a hundred really amazing emoticons.

MKR on
    edited January 2009
    MKR wrote: »

Probably more inclination to add new ones. If a contest were held in AC to make new ones, we could probably have a hundred really amazing emoticons.

So why don't we? No one in AC would participate because they only do art for money?

Obs on
    edited January 2009

So why don't we? No one in AC would participate because they only do art for money?

How did you arrive at this extreme?

That's so far off from both the post you quoted and reality that I don't know how to reply.

MKR on
    edited January 2009

How did you arrive at this extreme?

That's so far off from both the post you quoted and reality that I don't know how to reply.

I don't have much experience with artists, but I went to an art forum once, not here, but somewhere else, to get a 32x32 pixel image done. So I laid out what kind of image I needed and how much I'd pay for it, 25 bucks. It was simple enough, just a little sprite. Anyway, I was told I was paying way too little and if I ever asked for pixel art at that price again I could just fuck off because that was like less than minimum wage for most artists.

Needless to say, since then I've done a lot of artwork mainly by my damn self or gotten help from people who willingly volunteer.

Anyway, forget about that. We should do this contest, but how will we go about getting official sponsorship by some admins? Any admins reading this?

Obs on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Essentially yes, users can buy emoticons for the board. Every so often they purge the shit ones.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited January 2009
    We need to keep up.

Obs on
    edited January 2009
    We need to keep up.

Because of course people will think less of us if we don't use an arsenal of emoticons as punctuation.

MKR on
    edited January 2009
    We need to keep up.

Because of course people will think less of us if we don't use an arsenal of emoticons as punctuation.

You're against the idea?

Obs on
    edited January 2009
    We need to keep up.

Your against the idea?

Slow way down when making inferences, and give it a whole lot of thought before running with it.

MKR on
    edited January 2009
    Sorry, I rarely think before I post.

Anyway, we should do this. I've PMed some admins to see what they say. If they say it's cool and would support it I'll make a thread in AC or something about it.

The thing is, the only way it would be a "contest" is if the admins only allowed a certain amount of emoticons or something. Otherwise, couldn't we just support all the emoticons people ever made?

Also, we'd have to have some kind of poll thread at some point. Perhaps even a global poll, to decide the winning emoticons.

Or perhaps we could have a list of emotions that need to be expressed and people could vote on the emoticons that represent each emotion the best?

Obs on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    What the hell, Obs?

What the hell?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll be honest, "Damn, we need some new smilies" is not near the top of my thoughts when browsing the forums.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited January 2009
    Fuck it, no one cares about emoticons.

It's not happening.

Obs on
    edited January 2009
    Fuck it, no one cares about emoticons.

It's not happening.

:cry:

Szechuanosaurus on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009
    We need to keep up.

We really don't. I don't care about emoticons, and in fact find a surplus of emoticons deeply irritating and unnecessary. I've even removed specific ones before because they were used in an annoying way. As such the chances of me ever deciding to add a bunch of new emoticons to the board are remote. It's not a matter of keeping up, or of budget. It's a matter of tone.

Tube on
    edited January 2009
    twisted and evil are still there.

You keep them in order to weed out undesirables, don't you?

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited January 2009
    We need to keep up.

We really don't. I don't care about emoticons, and in fact find a surplus of emoticons deeply irritating and unnecessary. I've even removed specific ones before because they were used in an annoying way. As such the chances of me ever deciding to add a bunch of new emoticons to the board are remote. It's not a matter of keeping up, or of budget. It's a matter of tone.

dgyvg2.gif

Obs on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The SA emoticons are pretty stupid and annoying. It's part of the reason why I don't bother going there anymore.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited January 2009
    SA in general is a fucking cesspool of dirty nasty dipshits. That's reason enough not to go there.

Obs on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited January 2009
    we're done here

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.