As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2010 FIFA World Cup, USA vs England 2:30 pm EST (Schedule and streams in OP)

• TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I tell you what guys. After Messi did this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXzXsdZJ5AQ

I am pretty stoked to watch him play a bit more this World Cup.

Topia on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    bastian1.jpg

Meissnerd on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ain't no such thing as a German cowboy.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited January 2009
    340x.jpg

Meissnerd on
    edited January 2009
    More appropriate

FOR THIRD PLACE

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hooker orgy

Transvestites

Crashing cars into walls.

Wasn't that the original (brasilian) Ronaldo? Or did C.Ronaldo do it as well?

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    Oh whoops.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    The Italians are all cheating pussies

Crazy hot women, damn good food, mediterranean locales. They can cheat a little if the rest can stay.

Polago on
    edited January 2009
    Organized crime at just about every level.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Organized crime at just about every level.

Blackjacks in every umbro pair.

Polago on
    edited January 2009
    I think U.S. youth soccer now has as many kids playing as peewee football and baseball combined.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am pretty stoked for this last round of qualifying.

I'm still not really "into" soccer (I'll sit and watch high-level international soccer on TV but I don't go out of my way to do so) but I love watching the World Cup and the qualifying process thereof - I can't think of any sport that literally has a tournament that encompasses almost the entire world. I remember staying up late to watch the 2002 tournament. I was studying abroad in Spain in 2006. I remember being packed in a half-American/half-Italian crowd in a touristy bar in Barcelona, being a hostel in Madrid hoping Spain could beat France in the Round of 16, and happening upon a bar full of Germans in the streets of Sevilla during the Round of 8.

So, yeah, I'm anxiously awaiting the 2010 edition. Hopefully the US will make a respectable showing this time.

ASimPerson on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love football and all, but there are more actors there on the field than on the West End and Broadway combined. If you have to make a stumble look like JFK got shot while your mother was being plugged in the ass by some strange hybrid of the SS and La Guardia Civil in order to win then clearly you suck at the sport you're paid to excel at. Even in basketball the point guard don't roll around like they've been contracted a sudden case of epilepsy when they're trying to draw a foul.

Also hooligans need to shrivel up and die because they are the largest group of twats ever spawned from Satan's arse.

The Otaku Suppository on
    edited January 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »

I'm still not really "into" soccer (I'll sit and watch high-level international soccer on TV but I don't go out of my way to do so) but I love watching the World Cup and the qualifying process thereof - I can't think of any sport that literally has a tournament that encompasses almost the entire world. I remember staying up late to watch the 2002 tournament. I was studying abroad in Spain in 2006. I remember being packed in a half-American/half-Italian crowd in a touristy bar in Barcelona, being a hostel in Madrid hoping Spain could beat France in the Round of 16, and happening upon a bar full of Germans in the streets of Sevilla during the Round of 8.

So, yeah, I'm anxiously awaiting the 2010 edition. Hopefully the US will make a respectable showing this time.

The US doing good is like Canada at least making it this far. It would be cool, but I'm not going to see it for many years.
    I think U.S. youth soccer now has as many kids playing as peewee football and baseball combined.

Canada has a booming soccer growth too. Hopefully these combined will bring our nations to a point where we can compete a little better. And to a point where Canada can compete at all.

Topia on
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I love football and all, but there are more actors there on the field than on the West End and Broadway combined. If you have to make a stumble look like JFK got shot while your mother was being plugged in the ass by some strange hybrid of the SS and La Guardia Civil in order to win then clearly you suck at the sport you're paid to excel at. Even in basketball the point guard don't roll around like they've been contracted a sudden case of epilepsy when they're trying to draw a foul.

Also hooligans need to shrivel up and die because they are the largest group of twats ever spawned from Satan's arse.

you must not watch many spurs games

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • IskanderIskander Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No Great Name I love you for making this thread

Iskander on
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The reason so many children play soccer is that it has the least apparent gap between kids who are skilled and those that suck. (most of the time you are standing, or running back and forth)

And parents want their kids to have high self esteem

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If we (England) get through our group and we also manage to cause Ukraine to go through instead of Croatia, my painful memories of 2008 will be erased.

Bad-Beat on
  • WalrusWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JohnHam wrote: »
    The reason so many children play soccer is that it has the least apparent gap between kids who are skilled and those that suck. (most of the time you are standing, or running back and forth)

What in the name of fuck are you talking about?

Walrus on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    simo wrote: »

you must not watch many spurs games

Clearly not. But regardless I stand by it.

The Otaku Suppository on
    edited January 2009
    Walrus wrote: »

What in the name of fuck are you talking about?

I am going to hazard a guess that you have not played organized youth soccer!

JohnHam on
    signature.png

edited January 2009
    I've played soccer since I was 4-5. Yes the first couple years is definitely all about having fun while learning the basics of working as a team etc... there aren't many 4-5 that would be skilled at any sport.

But by the time you hit 7-8 it's all about the winning. And gaps in skill become readily apparent.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited January 2009
    I've been playing since about the age of 5 and there have always been kids in the team who couldn't play and always started as a substitute coming on for the last 10 minutes so they could "get a game".

Bad-Beat on
    edited January 2009
    At the very least, other sports allow for more incredible and horrific failure.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I fail to see any validity in the argument presented.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited January 2009
    At the very least, other sports allow for more incredible and horrific failure.

you're not even related to Mia Hamm. I will not listen to you. You're a wannabe Ham. One M!

Topia on
    edited January 2009
    he's right though, there are a ton of people who play organized soccer up until the start of high school without being any good at all

it also has many less equipment requirements than football and hockey

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Yea but this is good. With lets say, 50% of kids playing soccer, instead of 30%, we have 20% more good players filling our teams and clubs. Which in turn gives us a higher chance of pro-level players getting out there and winning some North American team a fucking Fifa World Cup.

Topia on
    edited January 2009
    he's right though, there are a ton of people who play organized soccer up until the start of high school without being any good at all

it also has many less equipment requirements than football and hockey

This is true of any organized sport, it just depends on the kid, I think.

It only took me 2 years to realize I was terrible at soccer but I played baseball from when I was 5 until I was 13 before I realized how terrible I was at that.

ASimPerson on
    edited January 2009
    but in baseball if you're completely inept you're just going to strike out every time and drop every ball

in soccer you can sort of just drift around

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Any competent coach/trainer can tell when a player is just drifting around. Eventually the ball is going to be in your vacinity and if you just sort of shy away you'd be lucky if the coach/trainer doesn't say anything.

Bad-Beat on
    edited January 2009
    has germany won this yet

Meissnerd on
    edited January 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    has germany won this yet

Not yet, but they are... Klose. :winky:

Topia on
    edited January 2009
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    Any competent coach/trainer can tell when a player is just drifting around. Eventually the ball is going to be in your vacinity and if you just sort of shy away you'd be lucky if the coach/trainer doesn't say anything.

well i don't know what leagues you played in but in massachusetts the non-traveling teams were all about encouragement and you'd never actually get criticized by a coach

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, there's definitely multiple levels of youth soccer. All the good kids play what we always called "club" soccer whereas the rest of us played in local AYSO league.

ASimPerson on
    edited January 2009

well i don't know what leagues you played in but in massachusetts the non-traveling teams were all about encouragement and you'd never actually get criticized by a coach

And you wonder why your country never does well at international events.

Bad-Beat on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Topia wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »

The US doing good is like Canada at least making it this far. It would be cool, but I'm not going to see it for many years.

Canada has a booming soccer growth too. Hopefully these combined will bring our nations to a point where we can compete a little better. And to a point where Canada can compete at all.

Unless you're only like 6 years old you've already been alive for a World Cup where the U.S. did really well.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009

OK, now I'm pretty sure it's us, because I am from MA too.

I have to assume at this point that we're all limp-wristed sissies.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I look forward to yelling "CUNT" everytime Fat Frank Lampard gets the ball.

Karl on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really don't dig football but when the World Cup's on I'll watch the England games simply because everyone else is and it's nice to feel a part of this society just for a couple of hours.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
This discussion has been closed.