As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend on: Obscure Games

MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighterDaehan MingukRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
I've been getting into offbeat/unknown/underrated PS2 games lately, since I can take a chance on them for dirt cheap. God Hand is far and away my favorite pick up so far (and I got it for 11 bucks), but I thought I'd reach out to the collective PA hive-mind and see if I can dredge up some delicious black box goodness.

I've been looking at games like Freedom Fighters, Gladius, Yakuza, or Radiata Stories, and I'm pretty much open to any genre.

Hit me!

EDIT: 1/21

Changed the title to include discussion of ALL your favorite obscure games. I'll still take recommendations on your favorite obscure/underrated PS2 games, though.

steam_sig.png
MundaneSoul on

• PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ObsCure_(video_game)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ObsCure_II

If you like shmups, you could do well to pick up a copy of Raiden III.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Both of the Yakuza games on the PS2 are excellent brawlers. Plus in the second one you get to punch a tiger. Er, as for obscure games that I never see anyone recommend despite the fact that it is utterly brilliant is the Mark of Kri.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to throw out some titles that I enjoyed that didn't have big names behind them. It's debatable on whether they're obscure or not.

Persona 3 and 4
    Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
    Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
    Odin Sphere
    Any of the Shadow Hearts games
    Shadow of Destiny

All of these are JRPGs, except the last which is more of an adventure title.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Victorious Boxers! It's still considered to be one of the best boxing games ever released. Despite the anime, it was a hell of a lot more sim than the KOK series for the time.

Fight Night took the the bulk of the controls from it.

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't know how under the radar this went but Valkyrie Profile 2 was preaty damn good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZJTWz20lAg
    Combat system wasn't as good as the first game but had a more cohesive plot, and more customization.

Also R-type final was preaty damn awsome. Also Sky gunners was a blast nice celshadded arcady flight sim type game. The lock on system takes some getting used to though since the camera focuses on your target instead of where your going.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Red Star for your shooter/brawler needs.

solsovly on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Stretch Panic. It's a Treasure-made game made up of almost nothing but awesome boss fights, and to beat them you pinch and stretch them with a living scarf.

Also, you get to stretch women who have breasts that are roughly five times the size of the rest of their bodies.

Everyone needs to experience this at least once. (The game, not stretching gigantic breasts.)(Well, maybe the breasts too, if that floats your boat.)

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I found this page very useful, since it explains/reviews the games instead of just listing them:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/ps2/2008/11/the-best-undiscovered-playstation-2-ps2-games.html

Centipeed on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you like RPGs then give Rogue Galaxy a shot, its made by Level 5 and its about pirates. In space. Space pirates.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009
    Pictures of Stretch Panic, in case you're interested.

stretchpanic1_2_640w.jpg
    stretchpanic_2_640w.jpg
    stretchpanic_8_640w.jpg
    stretchpanic_11_640w.jpg

cloudeagle on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Stretch Panic/Freak Out was a pretty interesting little rough gem.

However, I'm going to recommend a title none of you have probably played.
    Gregory Horror Show:

Gregory_Horror_Show_Ps2.jpg
    nekozombie.jpg
    It is basically a survival horror for children, crossed with a point and click, where everyone has giant square heads.

Xagarath on
  • CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't say enough good things about Ring of Red. So I will let my friend Mr. Wiki do the talking:
    Ring of Red is set in the 1960s in the aftermath of World War II. According to the alternate timeline, Japan did not surrender in 1945, and the United States of America did not deploy the atomic bomb, although it was still produced and the plans stolen by the USSR. Instead, Japan was captured after a daring invasion costing many lives on both sides in Operation Downfall by the Allied Forces. With the Cold War looming over the horizon, Hokkaidō was ceded to the Soviet Union, and north part of Japan was partitioned into Communist North Japan and Democratic South Japan, with both fighting each other in the Great Asian War. North Japan was supported by the Soviet Union and the People's Republic of China, while the United States supported the democratic South while Germany made engineering contributions to both sides.

It is a strategy game with both turn based and real-time elements. The turned based elements occur on the map where you move your troops around and decided where to go and what terrain to fight on. The real-time part happens when you actually fight, you decide when to fire and what to aim at. And also if your troops are out in front or in cover behind.

Oh and did I mention your squad is made up of giant walking tanks? Oh yeah, huge mechs that can be customized.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    "obscure" is a tough one.. but I'll shoot:

picture.jpg

Ico - sort of like a beautiful puzzle/adventure game

picture.jpg

Odin Sphere
    - a beautiful, creative, sort of actiony RPG

picture.jpg

Gitaroo Man
    - a music-rhythm game in which your character defeats enemies with the power of rock; really unique style and crazy yet catchy music

picture.jpg

Gradius V
    - the perfect Gradius shmup. Beautiful, the perfect length, tough and challenging yet completely fair. One of if not the best shmup on the PS2

picture.jpg

RType Final
    - one of the best RType shmups; while it suffers from occasional slowdown, the level design and number of ships and weapons and enemies provides tons of variety and replay value

picture.jpg

Contra Shattered Soldier
    - also a hard-as-nails 2D shooter in the traditional Contra vein, this game looks and runs great and has slick 2.5D presentation. Great for contra / action fans.

picture.jpg

Alien Hominid -
    Another 2D shooter, Alien Hominid pays homage to the classic 2D shooters, such as Metal Slug and Contra. Whacky and humorous 2D style and excellent music, this game has a great sense of humor and great controls, lots of variety, insane enemies and creative levels.

picture.jpg

King of Fighters XI -
    The newest edition of the long-standing King of Fighters series, this is considered one of the best iterations of the game since perhaps 2002 or even '98. Beautiful presentation, tons of characters, and a slick battle system including free-switching 3v3 battles.

picture.jpg

Guilty Gear Accent Core
    - Another slick 2D fighting game, the latest edition of GGXX on the PS2, this is one of the most fast-paced and insane 2D fighting games ever. With insane and unique character design and presentation, it also provides a tremendous variety of moves (and combos) across all kinds of different play styles. To top off its extremely deep fighting gameplay, it is also very well balanced

picture.jpg

PsiOps: The Mindgate Conspiracy -
    a really cool 3D action game in which you have a variety of psychic powers. This game is everything that Star Wars Force Unleashed was trying to be, except, about a thousand times better and more fun.

picture.jpg

Klonoa 2 -
    a lighthearted yet extremely addicting 2.5D platformer

picture.jpg

The Red Star - kind of like a strategic top down arcade style beat'emup/shooter

picture.jpg

Castle of Shikigami 2 - one of the best Bullet-Hell type shmups on the PS2; this game has tons of characters each with their own unique abilities and Special attacks. Take on lots of crazy/insane levels and enemies as you dodge hundreds of bullets that fill the screen in beautiful fireworks displays. Play with the cutscenes on for extra hilarity; then turn them off

slash000 on
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My list of cool semi-obscure PS2 games:

Killer7 (gamecube version [version I played] is supposedly better, but I'm sure this one's fine too)
    Okami (another Clover game, and my personal favorite)
    Steambot Chronicles (weird sandbox-style steampunk, mecha, dating-sim, jrpg)
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless Army (yes, that's the whole title)
    Katamari Damacy (super weird but kind of well known)
    R-Type Final (one of the best shmups I've ever played)

Edit: Oh man, I didn't notice your avatar, MundaneSoul. I love Buckethead, I've seen him 4 times live, never gets old.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited January 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

Gregory Horror Show

Huh. Not only have I never heard of the game (it never was released in Ameriland), I've never heard of the Japanese CGI series it's based on... and Wiki claims it's been running constantly since 1999.

Edit: How could I forget Gitaroo Man? Wonderful stuff.

cloudeagle on
    edited January 2009
    Crazybear wrote: »
    I can't say enough good things about Ring of Red. So I will let my friend Mr. Wiki do the talking:
    Ring of Red is set in the 1960s in the aftermath of World War II. According to the alternate timeline, Japan did not surrender in 1945, and the United States of America did not deploy the atomic bomb, although it was still produced and the plans stolen by the USSR. Instead, Japan was captured after a daring invasion costing many lives on both sides in Operation Downfall by the Allied Forces. With the Cold War looming over the horizon, Hokkaidō was ceded to the Soviet Union, and north part of Japan was partitioned into Communist North Japan and Democratic South Japan, with both fighting each other in the Great Asian War. North Japan was supported by the Soviet Union and the People's Republic of China, while the United States supported the democratic South while Germany made engineering contributions to both sides.

It is a strategy game with both turn based and real-time elements. The turned based elements occur on the map where you move your troops around and decided where to go and what terrain to fight on. The real-time part happens when you actually fight, you decide when to fire and what to aim at. And also if your troops are out in front or in cover behind.

Oh and did I mention your squad is made up of giant walking tanks? Oh yeah, huge mechs that can be customized.

I concur with this. Ring of Red was a great game.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Here is what you do.

You go to amazon/ebay

You type in 'Tomba!'

You buy Tomba

You get this:

Tomba!%20%5BU%5D-front.jpg

Yes it's a PS1 game...but it works on the PS2, so ha!

projectmayhem on
    edited January 2009
    There's a veritable assload of obscure RPGs on the PS2, but since I'm not an RPG connoisseur, I can't really name the good ones.

slash000 on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

Gregory Horror Show:

[snip]

It is basically a survival horror for children, crossed with a point and click, where everyone has giant square heads.

Thing to note though, this game was only released in english in PAL countries. You won't find an american release for it even though it was translated and the show even came out on DVD here.

As for my obscure title, I'll recommend Chulip. It's a game about kissing people, turtles, ghosts, whatever the fuck. If it's not an inanimate object, it's up for some smooches. It's also a tough as nails adventure game that really wants you to die at every turn. It was a gamestop exclusive for a while for some reason but it shouldn't be too hard to find as nobody except me and maybe 4 other people ever bought it.

Gilder on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I won't type explanations 'cause Obama's inauguration is about to start, so just to list quickly... not all of these are obscure, unless you assume you haven't heard of them. So I'm just listing off good shit.
    • Okami
    • Bully
    • ICO
    • Shadow of the Colossus
    • Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
    • Persona 3: Fes
    • Persona 4
    • Samurai Western
    • Way of the Samurai
    • Way of the Samurai 2
    • Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
    • Tenchu: Fatal Shadows
    • Psychonauts
    • The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
    • Siren (if you love insanely, stupidly, omfgwhatweretheythinking-difficult games)
    • Fatal Frame 2

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited January 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    There's a veritable assload of obscure RPGs on the PS2, but since I'm not an RPG connoisseur, I can't really name the good ones.

Anything that begins with the words "Shin Megami Tensei" is usually a good place to start.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gyral wrote: »

Anything that begins with the words "Shin Megami Tensei" is usually a good place to start.

More generally speaking, anything with the word "Atlus" on the front of the box can be assumed to be obscure as hell, and in most cases, awesome.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Centipeed wrote: »
    I found this page very useful, since it explains/reviews the games instead of just listing them:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/ps2/2008/11/the-best-undiscovered-playstation-2-ps2-games.html

This website is fantastic. Thank you.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Team Buddies

RoyceSraphim on
    edited January 2009
    So, which is the better hack n' slash to pick up first - Onimusha 3, DMC3, or Blood Will Tell?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • CriusCrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nippon Ichi has several good SRPG's on the PS2 outside of the Disgaea series: La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, and Soul Nomad. Of course, all of these games have a harcore postgame like Disgaea, but the normal story will still be accessible to the casual player.

Crius on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    picture.jpg

RType Final
    - one of the best RType shmups; while it suffers from occasional slowdown, the level design and number of ships and weapons and enemies provides tons of variety and replay value

With music by Blue Man Group. This cannot be overlooked, as the music is fucking phenomenal for a shmup. Fantastic game, but if you're looking for a more visceral twitch shooter, Gradius V is the way to go. They are two of the best shmups to come out of the last (or any) generation. In addition to this, Einhander by Square for the PS1. Another amazing game.

I don't think it was released on the PS2, but Ikaruga was fantastic as well, for a bullet hell/puzzle game. And yes, it's a puzzle game. Anyone saying otherwise was confused by the vertical scrolling, space ships and bullets.

Fawst on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, which is the better hack n' slash to pick up first - Onimusha 3, DMC3, or Blood Will Tell?

Devil May Cry 3. Haven't played Blood Will Tell, but Onimusha is by far inferior to DMC.

Burnage on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Team Buddies

That's a PS1 game!
    Though it's got the obscurity factor, for sure.

Anyway:

The Red Star is better than almost anything you could be playing right now.

The Sword of Etheria (EU release of the game Oz, has PAL/NTSC selector, and multiple language dubbing!) has better brawling than The Red Star, though.

Global Defense Force (EU release of the game EDF 2) is better than anything you could be playing right now, aside from EDF 2017.

God Hand is not obscure on these forums, so we're not allowed to mention it in the "overlooked/obscure/underrated" threads.

Chulip is a good game if you like games about stalking people so that you can find the right time and place to kiss them.
    It was made by former employees of the generally insane game studio Love-de-Lic. Former employees of Love-de-Lic have gone on to make such things as Tingle's Rupee Land, the bitgenerations games on the GBA, the Art Style games on Wiiware, and Rule of Rose. Fortunately(?) for you, of those games listed, the people who made Chulip have only worked on Rule of Rose.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    edited January 2009
    l_g wrote: »

I'm seeing this a lot, but I guess I don't understand why. What is so fantastic about it?

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • JulianvonRoseJulianvonRose Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    An Obscure really hard imo kinda MMO game for the PS2 is Monster Hunter. I liked it you should probably check it out but don't try to play online Im sure noone plays the first one anymore. Also Mana Khemia is a good game if you can find it. Its about Alchemists and the graphics remind me of Ragnarok Online.

JulianvonRose on
    edited January 2009
    Burnage wrote: »

Devil May Cry 3. Haven't played Blood Will Tell, but Onimusha is by far inferior to DMC.

Definitely Devil May Cry 3. It's actually better than 4, unless you count graphics (but the PS3/360 game has a bit of an advantage, there).

A word of warning: No not get the original version of DMC3. There is a Special Edition that came out - that's the one you want. Why? Well, when DMC3 first came out in NA, here's what happened...

20050304h.jpg

It is balls-crunchingly hard. Why? Well, the NA version of DMC3 kind of... changed up the difficulties, compared to the original JP version.

JP Hard Mode = NA Normal Mode
    JP Normal Mode = NA Easy Mode
    JP Easy Mode = a difficulty option we didn't get, because Capcom wanted to laugh and point there fingers while their game beat the bloody shit out of us. In fact, many reviewers actually docked points because - while fair - the game was absolutely unforgiving. It loved kicking your ass six ways from Sunday. But you love God Hand, so it's entirely possible you can handle DMC3 normal mode. If not...

Do not despair! All hope is not lost. A while after DMC 3 came out they released the Special Edition. This version has all sorts of new bells and whistles, but most importantly it makes the difficulty modes fall in line with their Japanese counterparts. Now when you start the game on Normal mode (it will still kick your ass) you'll feel a lot more capable of completing it, instead of giving up because you couldn't get past the miniboss in the second stage like... me.

I'm sure you could track down an individual copy of the Special Edition somewhere, but why go through all that effort? Capcom was kind enough to release the PS2 Trilogy for the low-low price of thirty bucks! You get DMC1, the classic original (still worth a play) and the Special Edition of DMC3!

There's also another game sandwiched between them, but let us not speak of that atrocity. That abomination. That aborted foetus of hellspawned offal.

Chance on
    edited January 2009

Onimusha 3 is slower paced as it is less combo-centric and involves more puzzle solving and the like than DMC3. DMC3 is fast paced and tough as nails, very combo centric, and very deep and complex with its battle system.

Blood Will Tell's hook iirc is the story and boss battles. The gameplay was devised by the same team that did Shinobi (PS2) and Nightshade (PS2). That's about all I know about it. I personally was a huge fan of Shinobi and Nightshade,but I never got a chance to try out Blood Will Tell.

slash000 on
    edited January 2009
    My brother knows I <3 anything Samurai, so he got me an Onimusha game for my birthday once... a long time ago, so I only vaguely recall it. But I think at the time I essentially took it to be Resident Evil + rudimentary swordplay. Very slow paced.

Ended up selling it.

Chance on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got beat to just about every game I could think of, even Shikigami 2, but one:

Samurai_Western.jpg

The definitive hack'n'slash in my book.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I got beat to just about every game I could think of, even Shikigami 2, but one.

Beat'd, on page 1. Did ya proud :^:

Chance on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I got beat to just about every game I could think of, even Shikigami 2, but one.

Beat'd, on page 1. Did ya proud :^:

I stand corrected. :^: So now two people know that game exists.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Defintely going to have to pull out my PS2 again and play some of these I missed.

Jungleskye on
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    l_g wrote: »

I'm seeing this a lot, but I guess I don't understand why. What is so fantastic about it?

Well, it's got good graphics (for a PS2 game) and nice presentation.

It's also a combination of a solid-feeling beat-em-up and a shooting game (navigating waves of bullets while shooting the core... not kidding). There's character customization (points you earn based on your performance in each level can be used between levels to buy new weapons/upgrades), well-designed levels and bosses, 3 different characters, 2 player simultaneous play, and yeah (YEAH!). It's a solid game that in spite of being obviously inspired by games like Contra and UN Squadron, injects enough of its own feel that it doesn't feel blandly derivative.

In short, it's a game that's just plain good, and isn't expensive.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    edited January 2009
    Fawst wrote: »
    picture.jpg

RType Final

With music by Blue Man Group.

*blink*

What.

Don't get me wrong, that's awesome. But how the hell did everyone manage to miss that fact?

Edit: Ah, Wikipedia is our friend. If by "music by Blue Man Group" you mean "one song from Blue Man Group," then yes.
    The ending of the US version of R-Type Final features a song from Blue Man Group, whereas the Japanese version has a different ending sung by Hekiru Shiina. The European version features a completely different song altogether.

cloudeagle on