As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Multiple cable modems, one house?

ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but i can have cable modems functioning simultaneously in one house, right?

I want to finally get Xbox live, but PC's upstairs, 360 is downstairs, and the wifi adapter is ridiculously overpriced. Any reason i can't just get a second modem and hook it up to a downstairs cable jack for the 360?

Seems like it should work, and i've tested said cable jack for functionality, i just wanted to make sure there'd be no problems before i go out and spend some money.

Scumdogg on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Physically, yes, no problem. However, your cable company probably only gives you one IP, and charges for any additional ones. You'd have to talk to them to make sure it will actually work.

I know Comcast charges $5 a month for a cable modem, and you can buy a wireless router for $50; what do you mean by "ridiculously overpriced?" In ten months, the router has paid for itself.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A better option might be to just get a wireless bridge instead of the official MS wireless adapter. You can turn many regular routers into bridges using custom firmware. I'd recommend picking up a Linksys WRT54GL and putting dd-wrt (or whichever firmware you like) on it. You should be able to find one for $50, and it's definitely the path of least resistance here.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is this a place you own? If so, it might be better to just put a hole through the floor and run a cable down from your hub. Wait, do you have a hub or are you only using the modem? I'm assuming your modem is like mine and only has one jack, and if so you really need to get a router and then disperse the connections from there. I don't think that using more than one modem will work, because each is assigned a mac address and your ISP probably will not let you have more than one mac address per house.

Edit: Beat'd. Hard.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I tired this recently. Doesn't work. Unless you want to pay for another connection. Which they will allow you to do.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If your wireless signal is strong enough to reach the downstairs, I would highly recommend just picking up a cheap router, flashing it with something like DD-WRT, and setting it up as a wireless bridge. So, your setup would look something like this:
    cable modem -- router -- PC
                      |
              (wireless signal)     
                      |
                  router -- XBox

You can get a basic Linksys router for maybe $30 new, or $15-20 used. And unlike the XBox Wifi adapter, buying a second router will give you a ton of bonus functionality as well: you can plug in other consoles if you have them, and you'll also boost the strength of your downstairs wireless signal.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Physically, yes, no problem. However, your cable company probably only gives you one IP, and charges for any additional ones. You'd have to talk to them to make sure it will actually work.

I know Comcast charges $5 a month for a cable modem, and you can buy a wireless router for $50; what do you mean by "ridiculously overpriced?" In ten months, the router has paid for itself.

Wow, i'm glad i asked. This could've gone poorly.

When i said "ridiculously overpriced", i meant Microsoft's official wireless adapter for the 360. Which i thought was the only one that'd work.

I do have a wireless router, but it's upstairs with the computer, as said computer doesn't have wifi capabilities. It's old.

In response to the drilling scenario, we currently live in a rented townhouse. So no drilling, sadly.

So what i'm seeing here is that the best option is to get a wireless bridge and hook THAT up to the 360?

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If your wireless signal is strong enough to reach the downstairs, I would highly recommend just picking up a cheap router, flashing it with something like DD-WRT, and setting it up as a wireless bridge. So, your setup would look something like this:
    cable modem -- router -- PC
                      |
              (wireless signal)     
                      |
                  router -- XBox

You can get a basic Linksys router for maybe $30 new, or $15-20 used. And unlike the XBox Wifi adapter, buying a second router will give you a ton of bonus functionality as well: you can plug in other consoles if you have them, and you'll also boost the strength of your downstairs wireless signal.

This seems like good, solid advice. I'm sold. Now how do i go about altering the router into a bridge? Or is that something i should just google search on my own?

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You know you can get a PCI wireless card for, like, $20-$30, right? And just throw that into your upstairs computer? That'd probably be the cheapest solution.

If you don't have a system with a wireless card, borrow a friend's laptop or something, and test to make sure the signal will even make it upstairs from downstairs. Otherwise, all of our advice will be for naught. If you can't drill, and you can't get the signal through the ceiling/floor, then you're going to need to run a long network cable.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, the official wifi adapter is way overpriced, but it is rather sexy. It's small and sleek and fits perfectly onto the back of the 360, while a bridge is going to have an ethernet cable and require another power outlet. Something to think about, anyway.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The signal definitely makes it downstairs, at least enough for my Wii, DS, and PSP. My initial concern and reasoning behind not wanting to go wireless on the 360 was to keep the signal as strong as possible to avoid lag, i mainly want Live for Street Fighter and stuff with friends.

A $30 or so wireless card for my PC wouldn't really save me much versus a $30 router, right?

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Scumdogg wrote: »
    The signal definitely makes it downstairs, at least enough for my Wii, DS, and PSP. My initial concern and reasoning behind not wanting to go wireless on the 360 was to keep the signal as strong as possible to avoid lag, i mainly want Live for Street Fighter and stuff with friends.

A $30 or so wireless card for my PC wouldn't really save me much versus a $30 router, right?
    Well, first off, a good router is going to cost you more than $30, whereas a good wireless card can easily be had for $30. Second, setting up a wireless bridge is a pain in the ass compared to setting up a wireless NIC. Third, you've got one less component that can fail doing it that way.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have played many online matches with friends wirelessly with the 360 network adapter, and it works well depending on your network/router. I've had a few problems, but it was minor.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait wait wait, 360s dont come with wireless built in? Piled onto the other plethora of problems it has and people still love this thing? Amazing.

Anyway I'd second the PCI wireless for your PC. You'll be better off playing SF (or any other fighting game for that matter) on a wired connection anyway. Every frame counts! :p

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes, unfortunately the 360 doesn't have wifi built in. The network adapter is $100, which I not so regrettably paid.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Having worked for a cable company, I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be able to buy a second cable modem and have it work in your house. Cable companies will gladly "sell" you multiple IP addresses but they won't let you hook up a second cable modem. Your best bet is to buy the wireless adapter for your 360 or rig up a wireless bridge.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What are the odds that if i do go with a wireless card for my PC, that my computer just won't support it? It's...embarrassingly ancient. There are new parts here and there, but the board is like from the late 90's.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    What are the odds that if i do go with a wireless card for my PC, that my computer just won't support it? It's...embarrassingly ancient. There are new parts here and there, but the board is like from the late 90's.
    What OS?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why not look into a powerline connection? They cost about a $100, but will solve your problem. You won't have to dick with getting a new IP, or getting the x-box wireless, and they're kind of cool.

What they do is they use your house/apartment/shack's electrical wiring to transmit the internet signal, and since your power runs at a different frequency, they don't interfere with each other.

blakfeld on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    What OS?

XP, but not spectacularly so. Most people who've seen or used my pc seem to be somewhat in shock that it actually works.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Having worked for a cable company, I can pretty much guarantee you that you won't be able to buy a second cable modem and have it work in your house. Cable companies will gladly "sell" you multiple IP addresses but they won't let you hook up a second cable modem. Your best bet is to buy the wireless adapter for your 360 or rig up a wireless bridge.
    If for some painful reason, you do want to get another modem then, working for a cable company, I've got 3 cable modems in my house.
    This setup entirely depends on region and built in support in that regions billing system for multiple modems on an account. (The back end my company uses absolutely LOVES cable modems, and will happily support a metric ton of them. I think I've seen as many as 48 modems on one account in my area - the front end billing software that talks to the back end... that, in some markets, might not be to pleased with more than one modem.) Cost, where possible, also depends on region, and can vary from modem rental and extra IP charges, to an extra full internet rate.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I know at least that the seattle region comcast (I assume you're local since penny-arcade is a seattle based webcomic, this assumption is probably el loco crazy) will allow you to have as many IPs associated with as many cable modems as you like, and! as a matter of fact I have better news!

sign up for comcast home networking and you get a comcast supported wireless router for a mere 5$ a month. (replaces the 3$ a month modem rental fee). When you have comcast home networking if they can't get the wireless signal to your second computer (or 360!?) they will issue you the second modem / i.p. for the comcast home networking upgrade fee of as little as 2$ a month!

I know these things because I am trained comcast customer account associate, repair department, level 2!

woot!

learning is fun!

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I know at least that the seattle region comcast (I assume you're local since penny-arcade is a seattle based webcomic, this assumption is probably el loco crazy) will allow you to have as many IPs associated with as many cable modems as you like, and! as a matter of fact I have better news!

sign up for comcast home networking and you get a comcast supported wireless router for a mere 5$ a month. (replaces the 3$ a month modem rental fee). When you have comcast home networking if they can't get the wireless signal to your second computer (or 360!?) they will issue you the second modem / i.p. for the comcast home networking upgrade fee of as little as 2$ a month!

I know these things because I am trained comcast customer account associate, repair department, level 2!

woot!

learning is fun!

This is region specific. Plus most markets don't use the gateways anymore they use the netgear routers. I know in the south eastern markets you have to have a set of CHSI, internet, rates on every outlet that has a modem assigned to it. If you can't get wireless to the other rooms we tend to use the ethernet over electrical converters.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm far from local (Ohio) and my internet is through Time Warner. Which i just kind of assume is less awesome than Comcast.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Really, just get a wireless bride for the 360. It can be done for $50, and is the path of least resistance here.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Honestly, when I was in college renting a house, we just used a wireless router downstairs that we hooked up to the XBox, and then had wireless cards in our computers. Lag wasn't an issue (played occasional FPSes and mostly WoW), just make sure you get Wireless G or above. Which should be standard nowadays. I mean, this is torrents + gaming + browsing + AIM with 4 guys in one house.

My vote goes for wireless PC card and wireless router hooked up to your XBox. Just make sure you password protect your network!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

woot!

learning is fun!

$2 a month adds up to $24 in a year. $24 will nearly buy you an old 802.11b "gaming" bridge, which is all you need for...well, gaming.

$5 a month adds up to $60 in a year, which will buy you an 802.11g router capable of running custom firmware, which will do everything he needs it to and more (and he gets to keep!).

Basically, paying a "small" monthly fee for these things doesn't make much sense in the medium-to-long term.

Buy a wireless card for the PC, buy a bridge, buy a router (to use as a bridge), but for fuck's sake don't rent their hardware.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have met people who demand wireless-n, rented monthly, along with a $130+ internet only bill.
    I know most people on penny-arcade are either more intelligent, more savvy, or poor ass college kids.
    But if you could see what some of these people let us charge them in the name of lag free gaming...

lets just say, 24 dollars a year is small potatoes.

... don't even get me started on the ppv charges people rack up.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png