As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CF Phalla Signup List

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Warban's suggestion does not apply to villagers anyway. You can certainly make a proboard for a "dead thread," just don't make the thread here.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yes. A Hive mind would have to be absolutely mason'd for it to work. Anything else and you might be seeing some balance issues with it.

Also I am thinking of another idea for my second main. It actually involves of an anonymous proboard graveyard like the one in the Chaos Phalla mini.

Expect you can post on it while dead and alive anonymously. (Run by the GM so no IP checking for players) And it is actually the the primary method one the factions needs to use to use to confirm kill targets for their leader.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmmm... you've got a good point.

I just don't want villagers to end up left out if they croak Day 1. It hasn't happened to me yet, but at the same time, you've got to keep your game balanced.

Okay, I agree with you. The point of the rule is to stop the whole "getting rid of the good players" trend that runs in some phallas. This would put a stop to it... as a matter of fact, I might try it out myself sometime. I have a few ideas already, but I want to work on them a bit more and gather more material before I commit to running a game.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Killing "good" players just means the others have to work harder.

From what I've noticed, after someone gets comfortable with the game, everyone seems to bring their own thing to the table, and I think it makes for an interesting dynamic. Sure, there will be trends that sometimes emerge (like the string of deaths of spreadsheeters that happened a while back), but they don't tend to stick for more than a few games. Removing the loss of players of any alignment/faction from Day 1 (and even subsequent days) would not be a good thing, I believe--unless there is a specific mechanic in place for a single game; but even then, I would suggest keeping that small-scale (1-2 players at most). It should most definitely not be the norm.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Killing "good" players just means the others have to work harder.

From what I've noticed, after someone gets comfortable with the game, everyone seems to bring their own thing to the table, and I think it makes for an interesting dynamic. Sure, there will be trends that sometimes emerge (like the string of deaths of spreadsheeters that happened a while back), but they don't tend to stick for more than a few games. Removing the loss of players of any alignment/faction from Day 1 (and even subsequent days) would not be a good thing, I believe--unless there is a specific mechanic in place for a single game; but even then, I would suggest keeping that small-scale (1-2 players at most). It should most definitely not be the norm.

I actually had a mechanic like that in both of my minis, but they just never got activated.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    My upcoming phalla main has now reached 28032 words and growing :O. It's mostly possible narration choices I'm doing now.

Fun fact: This is a limit on how big a Google doc can get before it stops saving. I had to split roles into 1-30 and 31-60 file and narration into it's own 3rd document to allow it to save correctly.

More numbers....
    5 Kingdom / Nationality groups.

10+ Special groups / Faction.

60 Roles most of them based upon a TvTroope.

13 different win objectives, Including Good and bad. Some being able to win together some not.

9 bus driver roles.

And its still a village majority vs informed Minority game.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wrote 0 word for my main game.

fuck.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I made all the players do the writing for my main game.

I highly recommend it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I use notepad docs, and jot down ideas as they come to mind.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I mostly wrote stuff down in a notebook, and made some stuff up as I went along.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    warban wrote: »
    9 bus driver roles.

D:

Burnage on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bus driver roles are awesome, if tricky to use well. Squashua ran a three-man mini once where everyone had a vote 'bus driver', it was hilarious. If short.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bus Drivers are fun, but they can also be quite unpredictable and difficult to resolve, especially if you have multiple types or duplicates. The interactions multiple Bus Drivers can have can create some strange results. But it sounds like you're prepared... I'll look forward to it.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Hrmm... I'm thinking I should run a mini soonabouts. Theme, etc. TBA. Any suggestions/thoughts are appreciated!

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Burnage wrote: »
    9 bus driver roles.

D:

Order of operations would be necessary to resolve the overlaps that will likely occur.

Or you could make it more interesting. If the same person is targetted by multilpe bus drivers, either the effect is nulled or the persons using the ability have it transferred on themselves.

Example. DA and Mrblarney are bus drivers. DA targets Warban and Toxic Toys. Mrblarney targets Warban and Thorgot.

Possible results:

1) Nothing happens, both actions cancel.
    2) RNG who gets hit with what if Warban gets targetted by something. Otherwise resolve normally and assume all action happen at the same time. So if Thorgot gets attacked, which transfers to Warban, it doesn't also transfer to Toxic Toys.
    3) It now means DA targets Toxic Toys and himself while Mrblarney targets Thorgot and himself.
    4) Make it more funny? Anything that happens to either warban or toxic toys now happens to DA and anything happening to Thorgot or Warban happens to MrBlarney. If arban takes a kill shot, kill both DA and MrBlarney! Two for one blue light special.
    5) Or just bounce abilities around until it actually stops somewhere. So if Toxic Toys got attacked, it now hits Warban, but since Warban and Thorgot were bus drivered, the kill goes from Warban to Thorgot?

Confusing.

Ardor on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Would seem to me that it should just go like #5.

It can be spiced up for lolz though, if you wanted, but it doesn't seem that confusing a situation.

LaOs on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    #5! It's bus driver pinball! It's also the only way. The only way.

You could either establish an order of operations for each bus driver, or RNG it each night and watch for fun results. Or cycle it every day.

Rend on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If there's a mini slot open, I've just had the idea for the greatest phalla experiment. :winky:

Burnage on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It would be even more fun to watch than the Phalla'o'Seers.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If I'm designing a mini and am not entirely sure if the mechanics are balanced but don't want to reveal them until the game proper is there anyone I can pm my basic ideas too?

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would be willing to give you a hand if you like.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ardor wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    9 bus driver roles.

D:

Order of operations would be necessary to resolve the overlaps that will likely occur.

Or you could make it more interesting. If the same person is targetted by multilpe bus drivers, either the effect is nulled or the persons using the ability have it transferred on themselves.

Example. DA and Mrblarney are bus drivers. DA targets Warban and Toxic Toys. Mrblarney targets Warban and Thorgot.

Possible results:

1) Nothing happens, both actions cancel.
    2) RNG who gets hit with what if Warban gets targetted by something. Otherwise resolve normally and assume all action happen at the same time. So if Thorgot gets attacked, which transfers to Warban, it doesn't also transfer to Toxic Toys.
    3) It now means DA targets Toxic Toys and himself while Mrblarney targets Thorgot and himself.
    4) Make it more funny? Anything that happens to either warban or toxic toys now happens to DA and anything happening to Thorgot or Warban happens to MrBlarney. If arban takes a kill shot, kill both DA and MrBlarney! Two for one blue light special.
    5) Or just bounce abilities around until it actually stops somewhere. So if Toxic Toys got attacked, it now hits Warban, but since Warban and Thorgot were bus drivered, the kill goes from Warban to Thorgot?

Confusing.

Haha, I had 5 in my mini and it caused everyone except the Serial Killer to die at once. It was pretty hilarious.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The serial killer didn't actually die though ><
    It was like impossible.

I think I've come up with an idea, though i have to see if I can make it work.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, this weekend my friends and I are going to have an awesome weekend hanging out in a Cabin and getting drunk. One of the guys there just played Mafia for the first time (live) and he wants to run it. This got me interested, too. But I've only hosted Phallas here, never played it live except for one time back in high school, but I don't really remember that.

Any suggestions on things that I should remember and how it differs from playing a Phalla on forums?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I spent a very enjoyable weekend running mafia games last summer, and simplicity is mandatory -- especially for the first couple of games. People new to Mafia will get confused the first couple of times (especially a few drinks in -- trust me on that one). It can be useful to write things down. In a classic mafia game (with everyone sitting around in a circle, closing their eyes for the orders) everyone's going to know how many factions there are, so don't try to get fancy. For a more Phalla-like mafia, give people some time to wander around and chat between turns. The last game of the above-mentioned weekend took place over the course of four hours, and was a blast.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So have turns last 15 - 30 minutes? Give people time to drink/socialize during the "day"?

I was going to make the first game simple and then add some complex things as we went on.

Basically we're going to have like 10 people there, so 3 Mafias and 7 villagers. This sound fair?

Then move it to 4 Mafias, 1 Vig, 1 Seer, 4 Villagers.

I'd like to use some crazy roles, but I can't think of anything that isn't too complex. Anyone have ideas? Please incorporate drinking somehow.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    So have turns last 15 - 30 minutes? Give people time to drink/socialize during the "day"?

I was going to make the first game simple and then add some complex things as we went on.

Basically we're going to have like 10 people there, so 3 Mafias and 7 villagers. This sound fair?

Then move it to 4 Mafias, 1 Vig, 1 Seer, 4 Villagers.

I'd like to use some crazy roles, but I can't think of anything that isn't too complex. Anyone have ideas? Please incorporate drinking somehow.

This is a list of roles I've found work well in live games (note, these are all the quick, 5 minute rounds, no private conversations sort of games)

1) The standards, seer/guard/mason, etc.

2) Bus drivers. Just make sure they go absolutely first in the turn order when everyone has their heads down.
    3) Human Torch. This is a role where if this person dies, both players sitting next to them also die with him. Note that in small player-count games, you may want to limit this ability to only go off on turn 1. Otherwise you'll end up with quite a few total-party-kills in your games, and adds a level of uncertainty to the day 1.
    4) Cupid. I've tried this one out multiple times, and people love it. One person draws cupid, and before the beginning of the game, everyone puts their heads down and then cupid picks two people other than him/herself. Get a long pole, broom, or the ability to tap someone on the head discreetly, and the cupid puts their head back down. The two people cupid chose become...
    5) Lovers. I'm talking about a version where both players know the role of the other player, and if one dies, the other dies. We've also enacted a rule to where lovers can not vote for each other, they must cast their vote elsewhere. They don't have to be on the same team.

5.5) For extra fun, let the bus driver go before cupid on day 0 to screw up the lover selection!

6) If you have a LOT of specials that target people, a reporter style thing can be fun, this is a seer who selects a person each night and goes last, and instead of being given the allegiance of the person in question, they are informed of the target(s) of any of their abilities. Note that this one only works well if you have a buttload of specials, and is a bit harder to pull off.

7) Village idiot. This guy wins by being voted off.

Things that don't work well in small/quick games:

1) Cult leaders: Roles which win by recruiting, in small quick games, don't work well. They either win or lose by turn 2 it seems, most of the time.
    2) Multiples of the same role: Because people get confused.

That's all the insight I've got. I've played many games of mafia irl, and that pretty much covers every role I've used yet.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I run real life mafia games by having murdering done during the day, voting done during the night, and make everyone wander around my spooky English mansion (Not much of an overstatement }: ) until a body is found

They are the best

Gumpy on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I played one in real life where the host of the game sent invitations to everyone about a week before the game. Instead of a seer, we had to find clues throughout the game that led to the identity of the baddie. We also had little mini-games during the "days" to win vote or death immunity. It was pretty fun.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The following disclaimer should be added to the sticky:

INACTIVUS HUNGERS. If you !signup and choose to not play he will eat your soul.
    Please inform your game host if you need to bow out of the game.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Someone really ought to write a "Phalla Player Common Etiquette" text. Complete with obvious rules of "don"t be a dick" kind and what to do when faced with inactivus.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    At the top of that text would hopefully be 'don't take the game personal'.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Alright got a mini ready to go up as soon as quoth gives the okay

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Just heads up: I'm going to be working on a Valentine's Day Mini, if no one objects. I'd likely start on or around that day.

If someone was planning on doing one, I wouldn't have an issue doing something else.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I've been working on both a mini and a main. The mini just has to be typed up and it's ready to roll. But I want to run the stats by someone to see if the game's balanced. Anyone mind?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I just had a mini concept come to mind, but this one needs to be different. Someone with experience in a certain shoujo anime involving the revolution of the world could be a lot of help.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Someone really ought to write a "Phalla Player Common Etiquette" text. Complete with obvious rules of "don"t be a dick" kind and what to do when faced with inactivus.

This would be a good idea. It might help bring more new players into the game. The phalla wiki only gives you the live-action rules and barely touches online play-by-post games.

I'd be willing to pitch in and write it.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't know what I would do if I couldn't be a phalla-dick.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Only Etiquette I care about is if people play or not.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
This discussion has been closed.