As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat Disease: My Cat is Fine

ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
DISCLAIMER: Unless lead to believe otherwise I'm taking my cat to the vet as soon as possible.

With that out of the way, I just noticed a pair of bald spots on my cat's side. Her fur kind of grows up and over most of the time but one is pretty substantial, maybe two inches in length and half an inch across at the widest, with this irregular, red sore/rash at the bottom that has hair growing out of it.

I'm struggling to get a picture where anything is visible; either the flash whites everything out or the camera won't focus.

Any ideas what's going on, guys?

ProPatriaMori on

• ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think it's safe to say that there's nothing that can possibly warrant avoiding the vet.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    is it scaly? if so could be ringworm or other skin parasite.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    catspotnz6.th.jpg

Yeah, it's kind of...well, almost looks like a rash. My index finger is in the lower right of this picture.

EDIT: Blurry as hell but yeah.

And yeah I guess it's to a vet but having some foreknowledge would be nice.

ProPatriaMori on
    edited January 2009
    wtf I was eating! spoiler that please >_>

ApexMirage on
    edited January 2009
    It's a thread about CAT DISEASE.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Hobbit0815Hobbit0815 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    wtf I was eating! spoiler that please >_>
    It's a thread about CAT DISEASE.

Win.

Hobbit0815 on
    edited January 2009
    /facepalm

Quite right.
    Carry on =p

ApexMirage on
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Looks like a hotspot, they're usually just areas of skin that get wet and the moisture never really leaves the area.

Wibod on
    edited January 2009
    Wibod wrote: »
    Looks like a hotspot, they're usually just areas of skin that get wet and the moisture never really leaves the area.

Even with the sore? Because that sounds like it's nothing to be concerned about.

ProPatriaMori on
    edited January 2009
    mts wrote: »
    is it scaly? if so could be ringworm or other skin parasite.

Actually ringworm might be it. I don't know if I'd call the area scaly, but it's a irregularly shaped pink area with some red dotting in a bald patch. In the center of this pink area there's still a tuft of hair.

ProPatriaMori on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Hotspots can be caused by any random allergy or skin irritation, too. Fleas can cause them.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Even with the sore? Because that sounds like it's nothing to be concerned about.

Any open sore is something to be concerned about, this applies even more so if they're an outside cat. Going to a vet is the way to go overall since what feral said is also true.

Wibod on
  • ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It might be an allergy. If the cat is itchy it could lick or scratch or pull out the hair on an area. My cat used to do that on her tail.

I think you're doing the right thing by taking it to the vet.

Thylacine on
    edited January 2009
    Thylacine, you're in Austin too. Is there a vet you recommend here? My ex-girlfriend didn't like the one she used to go to.

ProPatriaMori on
    edited January 2009
    I actually live in San Marcos, so unfortunately I can't recommend one up there. Sorry!

Since you're up there...I'll say just incase you don't know about it, I take my cats up to Austin to go to Emancipet for getting spayed, microchipped, shots and flea medication....but for all other things I have a guy down here in town. It makes having a pet very affordable. I paid about $15 to get the cat spayed, probably around $25 for all her shots and then another $15 or $20 for a microchip. Also Frontline is only like $2.50 or $5(I can't remember I bought several months worth for 2 cats) for a months supply and you can buy as many months as you want.

They were really friendly and fast there too, and took good care of the animals.

Thylacine on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thylacine, you're in Austin too. Is there a vet you recommend here? My ex-girlfriend didn't like the one she used to go to.

I'd start by looking for cat-only vets. I find that vets who set up their practice as cats only are usually a slightly higher caliber than your average all-species vet.

Yelp might also be helpful.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Go to the vet and make sure to give us an update!

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • HK5HK5 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you suspect ringworm I'd be careful about touching your cat with your bare hands. It's transmissible to humans and pretty icky.

HK5 on
    edited January 2009
    On the assumption of ringworm, does anyone know about the efficacy of vinegar as a treatment? I've made a vet appointment but it'd be nice to know in case I get it.

ProPatriaMori on
  • HK5HK5 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There are plenty of over the counter medications available for ringworm, I have no idea if vinegar works.

HK5 on
  • Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Austin and San Marcos? *blink* Hell, that's where I've been for the past two years.

In Austin, take your pet to Westgate Pet & Bird Hospital. It's a weensy bit pricey, but clean, spacious, and the vets are damn good at what they do; I've taken my cats and guinea pigs there for quite some time.

If you're strapped for cash, go to Animal Trustees of Austin. The place looks like shit, but several people I've talked to were completely satisfied with the level of care: the money goes to hiring staff and medical equipment, not new floors and chairs.

(For the record, in San Marcos, I use Springtown. Excellent place; they even smell clean. XD)

Aoi Tsuki on
    edited January 2009
    Aoi Tsuki wrote: »
    (For the record, in San Marcos, I use Springtown. Excellent place; they even smell clean. XD)

My roommate uses them, they are very nice! They even gave them some extra medicine for my kitten(they were both strays from the same litter) when they took theirs in there because I had to wait a week for money to come in :-/.

Thylacine on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    To me it seems like an irritant that was scratched and cause a sore and bald spot.

However, vet ahoy.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited January 2009
    Yesterday I took Feral's advice and looked for cat-vets. I have an appointment with these folks now.

ATA looks good though and is practically within walking distance. They might be my go-to after this.

ProPatriaMori on
    edited January 2009
    UPDATE!

Been to the vet. Apparently the fungal culture takes two weeks to run but the doctor's suspicion is that anal gland irritation has been giving poor Shia scratching fits. Sounds like BS to me but the appropriate tests seem to be going on.

ProPatriaMori on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Blocked anal glands can happen to some cats.

I'm fairly surprised someone didn't find the comic on this and post it yet.

Anyways, the vet will express them for you, your cat will feel better, and it's going to stink like all get out. Be warned.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    edited January 2009
    Vet expressed them already. We wait and see if that was the problem.

And yeah, I meant to mention that if anyone feels the need to post the comic do it but I'm not going to bother and find it.

ProPatriaMori on
  • RokateRokate Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rokate on
    Tomorrow's forecast: a few sprinkles of genius with a chance of DOOM!
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i dunno, anal gland expressing is one of those things i would gladly pay 15 bucks to have done or me

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In case you're bored waiting the two weeks, you could shine a black light over the patch. If it glows, then it's ringworm.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If it's itchy it's probably a hot spot.
    Rub some polysporin on it and see what happens.
    In any case, polysporin won't hurt and can prevent a secondary infection.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited February 2009
    Fungus came back negative and hair is growing back in the spots.

ProPatriaMori on
    edited February 2009
    Yay!

Feral on