As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HA! HOPE YOU HAVE BURN HEALS!

MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Social Entropy++
Blaine is the best gym leader in all the pokemon games, ever. He was the second-last gym leader in the Kanto region, and is a quiz master and fire pokemon expert. Since he was such a badass Giovanni burned down his gym, because Giovanni is a dick who loves irony.

blaine_gym.gif

It's okay Blaine, your spirit burns on, just like your pokemon!

Pokemon Platinum is out March 29th, 2009

Platinum changes (Will contain spoilers!):
Aesthetic Changes

* Lucas, Dawn and Pearl have new clothes designed for colder weather since the entire Sinnoh region has dropped in temperature.

* The Pokétch has been redesigned. Players can now scroll up and down between applications instead of having to cycle through them all to reach a previous one.

* Some moves have been redesigned with a different animation, like Razor Leaf.

* When Pokémon are called from their Poké Balls, the back view animation has been changed, as well as the front view animations. Like the animations introduced in Pokémon Emerald and continued in Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, these animations will consist of two frames with various distortions to the sprite.

* When battling against certain Trainers, such as Gym Leaders and the rival, their sprites are now animated to move in the same manner as a Pokémon's sprite.

* Some Trainers (including your rival) use Seals when sending out their Pokémon.

* Three of the region's Gyms have been changed. Eterna, Hearthome, and Veilstone Gyms have all been redesigned.

* Gym Leader closeups, just before a Gym battle, have been changed from enlarged sprites to higher-quality drawings, and the term VS.

* The template in battle for a Pokémon's name, level, and HP is now a dark gray instead of white, and its shape has also been changed.

* When entering new areas, the location labels in the top-left corner of the screen have been redesigned, similar to their update between Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire and Pokémon Emerald.

* When first visiting the Resort Area, the player is given access to a large house. Inside on a table, there is a catalog that lists different items that can be mail-ordered to decorate the house. This is similar to the Secret Bases of Hoenn.

Storyline Changes

* The player meets Professor Rowan and the opposite gender character earlier, and obtains their starter Pokémon on Route 201.

* The very first battle is against the player's rival who, following tradition, has chosen the starter Pokémon with an advantage against the player's starter.

* The player and the rival now encounter Cyrus at Lake Verity at the beginning of the game. The player will also meet Cyrus at different areas, such as the Eterna City statue.

* Dialga and Palkia both appear on Spear Pillar. Giratina then phases into the dimension in front of Cyrus.

* A new area known as the Ruined World(also called the Torn World, in the USA version Distortion World) is playable, with platforms floating at ninety-degree angles to each other. This dimension does not follow the laws of physics that the human world follows, like allowing the player to surf down an upward-flowing waterfall. The camera angle changes between perspective and isometric views to suit the angle of the player. It also has moving platforms with jumpable gaps between them. Giratina, when inhabiting this dimension, will be found in its Origin Forme, and is also the only wild Pokémon located here. Uxie, Mespirit, & Azelf also appear to help the player reach Giratina, but may still only be battled at the Sinnoh lakes.

* A Double Battle with the player's rival against Flint and Volkner occurs at the entrance to the Battle Frontier.

* Dawn/Lucas no longer gives the player the Dowsing Machine or the VS Seeker near the Route 206 junction. Instead, she/he now meets the player at the entrance to Mt. Coronet.

* Some of Sinnoh's Gym Leaders have been reordered. Fantina is now the third Gym Leader, Maylene is the fourth and Crasher Wake is now the fifth.

* At least two new characters have been added. One is a police officer spying on Team Galactic, using the codename "Handsome" (U.S. name "Looker"), and the other is Pluto (U.S. name "Charon"), a professor of Team Galactic.

* Team Galactic's plans for world domination and the layouts of their HQs, such as their hideout in Eterna, have been changed. In addition, they openly recognize their goal, and are more villainous.

* The player is now able to challenge all the Gym Leaders of Sinnoh to rematches, as well as the player's tag battle partners from throughout the game (Cheryl, Buck, Marley, Mira, and Riley) can also be challenged in a restaurant located in the Survival Area, known as the Trainer Café. Each opponent has a team of five Pokémon, with levels between 65 and 78.

* The Elite Four's Pokémon are stronger after the player visits the Battle Zone, with levels between 65 and 78.

* Team Galactic gains control of Stark Mountain under the command of Charon; it is up to the player, with help from Buck, to defeat them.

[edit] Gameplay Changes

* The Wi-Fi area has been enhanced with the new Wi-Fi Square, which supports up to 20 people at once. The new area seems to focus exclusively on mini-games, which include Pumping Wobbuffet, where players hit a Wobbuffet, and Rolling Mime Jr., where players can balance Mime Jr. on a ball.

* There is a new key item called the VS. Recorder (given to the player by Looker when the player first meets him in Jubilife City), which allows players to record battles in the Battle Frontier and Wi-Fi, and share the records with other players over the GTS. Battle records can be rated by other players when viewed, and the most popular battle records are displayed for all to see. Players can also take snapshots of their PC boxes and share them with other players in a similar fashion.

* The GTS has now incorporated an e-mail system that allows players to be notified of completed trades. Notification messages are sent to the player's actual e-mail address.

* The Sinnoh starters are now allowed in an expanded Amity Square, allowing a total of 20 Pokémon to enter the park.

* Over local wireless, there is a new feature where the player and their friends can put their Pokémon Eggs in and randomly swap.

* HM05 (Defog) is now located on the bottom floor of the Solaceon Ruins, instead of Pastoria's Great Marsh.

* HM04 (Strength) is now obtained from Riley on Iron Island, instead of in the Lost Tower.

* On certain days of the week, there are Trainers that the player can challenge in certain Pokémon Centers, who are located in front of the Center's desk.

* Along with Diamond/Pearl's Move Tutors, three more have been added in Platinum. They are located in Snowpoint City, Route 212, and the Survival Area.

* Hypnosis' accuracy was changed from 70% back to 60%.

* Bebe's PC has new wallpaper, like Retro (modeled after the Gen I & II games).

[edit] Obtainable Pokémon

* 59 Pokémon have been added to the original Sinnoh Pokédex, giving it a grand total of 210 entries, with all non-legendary Pokémon introduced in Generation IV now included, as well as their pre-evolved forms and several other Pokémon. The newly-added Pokémon, such as Rotom and Giratina, are now available before the Elite Four challenge.

* Giratina can appear in both its Another Forme (U.S. name "Altered Forme") and its Origin Forme. It will appear in Origin Forme while in the Distortion World, and in its Altered Forme while out of it. The Platinum Orb, an item found in Giratina's dimension, is required for it to maintain its Origin Forme while outside of the Distortion World.

* The ability of Giratina's Origin Forme is Levitate, and its base stats are similar to those of its Altered Forme. The Origin Forme is more offensive, while the Altered Forme is more defensive, with the base stats of Offenses and Defenses switched between each other (Origin Forme's base stats, from Attack to Sp. Defense: 120, 100, 120, 100, and Altered Forme's base stats in that same order is 100, 120, 100, 120). The Speed stat remains the same.

* The Regigigas of Snowpoint Temple is now found at Level 1, making it the lowest-level non-glitch wild Pokémon in the history of Pokémon games (not to mention the lowest-level non-glitch legendary in a game).

* Shaymin's new Sky Forme is focused on Speed and Special Attack. It can learn new moves like Quick Attack, Air Slash, and Leaf Storm, and its ability is Serene Grace.

* Shaymin can also change between its two forms by use of the Glacidea Flower (U.S. name "Gracidea Flower")(though this item only works with the event Shaymin given away in Japan). This item will not work at night, or if Shaymin is frozen.

* Rotom has new forms as well. Each of the five forms shows Rotom possessing a different electrical appliance. Despite having visual characteristics of other types, the five forms share the original Rotom's Electric/Ghost-type combination, but their base stats are far higher. They also share the original's ability, Levitate. The new forms are not normally available, and are therefore banned from official tournaments. The item to unlock these Pokémon in the game, the Secret Key, will be distributed at retail stores as well as via Wi-Fi, between September 28 and November 4, 2008, and will be given away again from January 16 to March 2, 2009.

* Regirock, Regice, and Registeel are catchable at level 30 with the help of the event Regigigas that was distributed in Japan.

* Kanto's Legendary Birds begin to roam Sinnoh after the player obtains the National Pokédex, much like Mesprit and Cresselia do. To trigger them to begin roaming the region, the player must talk to Professor Oak in Eterna City. They are all encountered at Level 60.

* After the player has defeated Team Galactic's Eterna HQ, Cynthia now gives the player a Pokémon Egg containing a Togepi.

* Bebe now gives the player an Eevee before the player obtains the National Pokédex, which means that the player can get Eevee the first time they arrive in Hearthome City. It is obtained at Level 20.

* A man in Veilstone City gives the player a Level 25 Porygon as a gift.

* Manaphy, which is still unobtainable in-game, is now required to be seen to complete the Sinnoh Pokédex. It can be added to the Sinnoh Dex by viewing its picture in a book in Mr. Backlot's room in the Trophy Garden mansion.

* Dialga and Palkia both appear on Spear Pillar (one at a time) after the player has completed the Stark Mountain event, spoken to Cynthia's grandmother in Celestic Town, and obtained the Adamant and Lustrous Orbs in Mt Coronet.

Map Changes

* A new Battle Frontier takes the place of the Battle Park. It has the Battle Tower, Battle Factory, Battle Castle, Battle Roulette, and Battle Stage as venues.

* Twinleaf Town and nearby Routes now have snowy patches.

* Jubilife City has been refurbished with new pathways and some buildings have animated roof lights.

* Jubilife's Global Trade Station has been redesigned and now includes a larger global terminal.

* An arch now represents the entrance to Floaroma Town.

* Mist is now present in Eterna Forest, but cannot be removed by the use of HM05 Defog.

* Eterna City has been redesigned with new foliage and pathways. Team Galactic's Eterna HQ has also had a redesign, inside and out.

* Cycling Road has been updated and now has tunnel-like shelters in the middle of the road.

* Hearthome City has been updated with new pathways.

* Amity Square has been completely remodeled. It now includes a small lake, more paths, and more upper levels. The old buildings now contain warp panels which transport the player to other old buildings within Amity Square.

* Lost Tower has a new color scheme, and now has fog on three of its five floors, which can be cleared with HM05 Defog.

* Solaceon Town's houses have been remodeled, and the Pokémon Daycare now has a trough filled with water and tent-like shelters.

* Veilstone City now has new pathways. Team Galactic's Veilstone HQ has been redesigned, inside and out. The Veilstone Department Store now has a basement.

* The Hotel Grand Lake has been updated with new pathways.

* Pastoria City's houses have been remodeled and now also includes a board with a Croagunk on it which is located in front of the Great Marsh.

* Pastoria's Great Marsh has a new color scheme, and also has foliage changed and added.

* Celestic Town's houses have been remodeled.

* Canalave City has new pathways, and its houses and library have also been remodeled.

* The player now needs to use HM08 (Rock Climb) to access Lake Acuity.

* The area of water south of Snowpoint City where the player boards the boat to the Battle Zone now contains small icebergs. These can also be seen in the ocean when the boat is crossing to the Battle Zone. The boat has also been redesigned, most likely due to the icebergs in the sea.

* Sunyshore City has been refurbished with new pathways, and its houses have been remodeled.

* Sinnoh's climate has changed drastically. Snow is now found as far south as Twinleaf Town, whereas the Battle Zone is more tropical, now with palm trees.

* Stark Mountain now resembles more of a volcano, featuring crags and lava pits.

* The Veilstone Dept Store now has a basement, where the player can buy contest items, as well as Berries and Lava Cookies.

* Oreburgh Mine has two coal transporters that run from the mine entrance to the entrance to the deepest area of the mine.

* The entrance and exit of Victory Road have been widened, and feature a Poké Ball on an archway.

Connectivity

* Pokémon Platinum can connect automatically to Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl once the player has access to a Pokémon Center. This game, however, is unable to connect with My Pokémon Ranch, but is able to connect to Pokémon Battle Revolution and to Generation III games. It is known that Nintendo plans to release a patch that will allow My Pokémon Ranch to be compatible. It is unknown if the patch will be for Japanese and other language versions of the software, or if those outside Japan will have to wait for their own versions of the patch.

NOTE: An update to My Pokémon Ranch has been released on November 5, 2008 that allows it to be compatible with Pokémon Platinum. All new forms of Pokémon can be transferred such as Giratina in its Origin Forme. However, Shaymin is always in its Land Forme, but if you have the Gracidea Flower in Platinum, you unlock the Gracidea Flower for use in the Ranch that appears randomly. When Shaymin touches it, it changes to Sky Forme for as long as you are in the Ranch. Removing Shaymin while in Sky Forme changes it back to its Land Forme. Go see the My Pokémon Ranch article for the non-Platinum info about the update.

Meissnerd on

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, I was gonna make such a lovely detailed OP. And then they go and lock my thread. Jerks.

Goose! on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pffft. If you needed Burn Heals, you were doing it wrong. I took out his Pokemon before he could even use any burning moves.

Antimatter on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2009
    goose that was the worst thing you've ever done and I have a feeling that, deep down, you know it

DJ Eebs on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It was a placeholder! Geez.

I was going to make a long and detailed post that included the changes from D/P to Platinum from Bulbapedia.

Goose! on
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    Go read Kantankeris' last post on the last page of the old thread.

After that, read it again.

And again.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited January 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited January 2009
    Bogey wrote: »
    Go read Kantankeris' last post on the last page of the old thread.

After that, read it again.

And again.

I made that thread when the old thread was already closed, thanks. I know how to read.

I meant that the OP/Thread title was a place holder till I made a better one.

Goose! on
    edited January 2009
    Hahahaha Cinnabar? More like fuckin' scrubs r' us

HYDROPUMP HYDROPUMP HYDROPUMP

SURF SURF SURF

Antimatter on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Burn was the lamest status effect ever. OH NO IF I DONT CURE THIS ITLL FAINT 30 TURNS FROM NOW.

Squall on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Squall wrote: »
    Burn was the lamest status effect ever. OH NO IF I DONT CURE THIS ITLL FAINT 30 TURNS FROM NOW.

It also cuts attack like in half

Meissnerd on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh god, don't tempt me to play Pokemon DS again.

Fuck. I just don't want to get addicted to that again.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    Also I didn't care about being first, I just wanted to keep the discussion open.

Its not important, I'm just annoyed because that's the third time I've had a thread closed on me and I've seen way worse OPs in SE.

Goose! on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »

And burns really hurt and if you don't heal your pokemon you are a cruel bastard.

ChicoBlue on
    edited January 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »

But water moves are super effective, which means that they were just normally effective.

Antimatter on
    edited January 2009
    So what's the difference with Pokemon Platinum? Just extra Pokemon that nobody cares about?

The first 150 were the best. Anything else afterwards wasn't good.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey Campion, if you still need that male Meowth I've got a few kicking around. I also have doubles of dittos of most of the main natures if you wanted one of them to simplify breeding things a bit.

Marshmallow on
    edited January 2009
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    So what's the difference with Pokemon Platinum? Just extra Pokemon that nobody cares about?

New world where you can walk on walls
    Free Porygon
    You're dressed for colder weather

Antimatter on
    edited January 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    man i checked my connection and it should be okay to hook up my wifi

and the bar at the top right goes red, then green like it's connecting, but then it goes back to red and it says it can't reach my usb

but it's right there, i even checked if it was blocked or something

Meissnerd on
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Meiss you're perfect fyi

Sara Lynn on
    edited January 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »

SURF SURF SURF

ONLY SCRUBS PUT HMs ON THEIR STARTER POKEMANS

THERE ARE OTHER WATER TYPES IN THE SEA

Antimatter on
    edited January 2009
    Whoa. Flash is a TM now not an HM?

Goose! on
    edited January 2009
    Are you kidding? Surf is an excellent offensive attack! It's like water's version of thunderbolt or psychic.

Marshmallow on
    edited January 2009

New world where you can walk on walls
    Free Porygon
    You're dressed for colder weather
    Well, I have to buy it now.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    Are you kidding? Surf is an excellent offensive attack! It's like water's version of thunderbolt or psychic.

Aw yeah, Surf is awesome.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well that would be splendid, Marsh

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2009

SURF SURF SURF

ONLY SCRUBS PUT HMs ON THEIR STARTER POKEMANS

surf is the best I'm sorry teefs it's just a fact

DJ Eebs on
    edited January 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited January 2009
    Campion wrote: »
    Well that would be splendid, Marsh

Any particular nature's of ditto you were interested in? You need a firestone for your vulpix? Any fossils you fancy having?

Marshmallow on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whoa. Flash is a TM now not an HM?

Yeah. In the best decision they've made in a while, they stopped making Flash an HM and throwing in a single cave where it was necessary.

They also made a new HM called Defog which is basically the same fucking thing.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited January 2009
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Platinum_Version
    Known changes from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
    Aesthetic changes
    Lucas, Dawn, and Pearl have different outfits designed for colder weather, as the entire Sinnoh region has dropped in temperature.
    The template for the level, HP, and name of Pokémon in battle is a dark gray instead of white and its shape has changed.
    The Pokétch has been redesigned. Players can now move up and down between apps instead of having to go through all of them to return to a previous one.
    Some of the moves have been redesigned and have a different animation, such as Razor Leaf.
    When Pokémon are sent out from their Poké Balls, their back sprites now animate much like their front sprites have since Emerald Version. Front sprites for Generation IV Pokémon and other Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex have also changed.
    When battling certain Trainers such as Gym Leaders and Pearl, their sprites are now animated to move in the same manner as Pokémon.
    Some trainers now use seals when sending out some of their Pokémon.
    The Eterna, Hearthome, and Veilstone Gyms have all had complete redesigns in the interior.
    Gym Leader closeups, just before a Gym battle, have been changed from enlarged sprites to higher-quality drawings and the terms VS. The Elite Four now also has this but it includes the player on the left side of the VS. and the Elite Four member on the right of the VS.
    The rooms where the player battle the Elite Four have been redesigned. Aaron now has logs and foliage in his room. Bertha now has rocks in her room. Flint now contains lava pits in his room. Lucian's room has only had minor changes to now include four large lights or glowing orbs on the floor. Cynthia's room has changed its color scheme and the lift leading up to the Hall of Fame is now partially contained. The Pokémon Center at the Elite Four has also been redesigned.
    When entering new areas, the location 'labels' on the top-left corner have been redesigned, much like they were between Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire and Pokémon Emerald.
    All gyms now only have Pokémon of their type specialty.
    Storyline changes
    The player meets Professor Rowan and the opposite gender character earlier, and obtains his or her starter Pokémon on Route 201.
    The first battle is against the player's rival, who, as always, has chosen the starter Pokémon that weakens that of the player.
    The player and the rival now encounter Cyrus at Lake Verity at the start of the game. The player can also meet Cyrus at different venues such as the Eterna City statue.
    Both Dialga and Palkia appear on Spear Pillar. Giratina, the mascot of Platinum, then phases into the world in front of Cyrus.
    A new area known as the Distortion World (Japanese: やぶれたせかい Torn World) is playable. It has floor-like sections floating at ninety-degree angles from each other, creating an effect similar to the art of M. C. Escher. It doesn't follow the Laws of Physics, making things like surfing down a waterfall going up possible. The camera angle switches between perspective and isometric views to suit the angle of the player. It also has moving platforms with jumpable gaps between them. Giratina, when here, will be in its Origin Forme and is also the only wild Pokémon located here.
    At least two new characters were added. One is Pluto, a professor of Team Galactic, and the other is a police officer spying on Team Galactic, using the codename "Handsome" (Japanese: ハンサム).
    A tag battle between the player and his or her rival against Flint and Volkner takes place at the entrance to the Battle Frontier when the player first arrives there.
    Team Galactic's plans for world domination and the layouts of their HQs, such as the one in Eterna, have been changed. In addition, they openly recognize their goal and are more openly villainous.
    Some of the Gym Leaders have been reordered: Fantina is now the third Gym Leader, Maylene is the fourth and Crasher Wake is the fifth.
    Dawn/Lucas no longer gives the player the Dowsing Machine or the Vs Seeker near the Route 206 junction; instead he/she meets the player at the entrance to Mt. Coronet.
    Team Galactic appear in Stark Mountain under the command of Pluto, who seeks to use the destructive power of the volcano to extort money from the people of Sinnoh. The player, with help from Buck, must defeat them. During this event, Mars and Jupiter quit Team Galactic because Pluto does not share the same ideals as ex-boss Cyrus. Ultimately, Pluto and his two accompanying grunts are apprehended by Handsome and two policemen.
    After the aforementioned event, the player is able to challenge all the Gym Leaders of Sinnoh to rematches in the Match Place. The player's tag battle partners from throughout the game (Cheryl, Buck, Marley, Mira, and Riley) are also able to be challenged in this café. Each of the 13 characters has a team of five Pokémon, whose levels are between 61 and 66.
    The Elite Four increase their Pokémon's levels after the player has completed the Stark Mountain event. Their levels are now between 65 and 78.
    When one finishes the Stark Mountain quest, instead of the rival appearing at the Fight Area on weekends, he now appears at the Survival Area in front of the Match Place. During the first battle, the levels of the Pokémon in his party range from 59-65, second battle 69-75, and third and beyond 79-85. On his last battle, he is the trainer with the highest-leveled Pokémon in all main series games.
    When first visiting the Resort Area, the player receives a villa. Inside on a table is a catalog that lists items that can be purchased to furnish the house in the same manner as decorating a secret base. The player will be visited by NPCs such as the Sinnoh Gym Leaders, the player's mom, Professor Rowan, and the rival.
    Gameplay changes
    Giratina's cry will be heard when "Start" or "A" are pressed at the title screen, unlike in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl which just play the background music. It shares this trait with some previous generation games.
    The Wi-Fi area has been enhanced with the Wi-Fi Square, which supports up to 20 people at a time. The new area seems to focus exclusively on mini-games, which include Rapid Wobbuffet, where players hit a Wobbuffet, and Merry Mime Jr., where players can balance Mime Jr. on a ball.
    The Poffin making has been modified with a new feature involving a Swalot-shaped machine, into which Berries can be thrown. This can be done over Wi-Fi in the new Wi-Fi Square.
    There is a new key item called the Battle Recorder (given by Handsome when the player first meets him in Jubilife City), which allows players to record battles in Battle Frontier and Wi-Fi, and share the records with other players over the GTS. Battle records can be rated by other players upon viewing, and the most popular battle records are displayed for all to see. Players can also take pictures of their PC boxes and share them with other players in a similar fashion.
    The GTS has incorporated an E-mail system that allows players to be notified of completed trades. Notification messages are sent to the player's actual E-mail address.
    The Sinnoh starters and their evolutions are now allowed in an expanded Amity Square, making a total of 20 Pokémon allowed in the Square.
    Over local wireless, there is a new feature where the player and their friends can put their Pokémon eggs in and randomly swap.
    HM05 (Defog) is now located inside the Solaceon Ruins instead of the Pastoria Great Marsh.
    The player now receives HM04 (Strength) from Riley on Iron Island instead of in the Lost Tower.
    The player can now challenge other trainers in certain Pokémon Centers. The trainer(s) are located in front of the desk. These trainers change location every day.
    In addition to the move tutors in Diamond and Pearl, three new move tutors are added, in Snowpoint City, on Route 212 and in the Survival Area.
    The Accuracy of Hypnosis was changed back to 60.
    The surfing speed has become faster.
    Obtainable Pokémon
    59 more Pokémon have been added to the Sinnoh Pokédex to give it a grand total of 210 entries, with all non-legendary Pokémon introduced in Generation IV now included, along with their pre-evolved forms and several other Pokémon. The added Pokémon, such as Rotom and Giratina, are now available prior to the Elite Four challenge.
    Giratina can appear both as Altered Forme and Origin Forme in Platinum. It will appear in Origin Forme while in the Distortion World, and in Altered Forme while out of it. A Platinum Orb is required to transform it to its Origin Forme outside of the Distortion World.
    The ability of Origin Forme is Levitate and its base stats mirror those of Altered Forme in that the offensive stats have been switched with their respective defensive stats.
    Shaymin's new Forme is called Sky Forme and takes on a canine appearance. Its ability is Serene Grace and the form is focused on Speed and Special Attack. It will be able to learn new moves like Quick Attack, Air Slash and Leaf Storm.
    Shaymin is able to change between its two forms via the use of the Gracidea Flower (Japanese: グラシデアのはな). This item doesn't work at night or if Shaymin is frozen.
    Rotom has new forms as well. Each of the five forms is a Rotom that has possessed an electrical appliance. Despite having visual characteristics of other types, the five forms share the original Rotom's Electric and Ghost types, whereas their base stats are far higher. They also share the original Rotom's ability: Levitate. These Pokémon are not normally available and are therefore banned from official tournaments. The item to unlock these Pokémon in the game, the Secret Key, is an event-only item.
    Regirock, Regice and Registeel are catchable at level 30 with the help of an event Regigigas that has been distributed in Japan.
    Regigigas is now found at level 1, making it the lowest-level non-glitch wild Pokémon in a game (not to mention the lowest-level non-glitch legendary in a game).
    The legendary birds can be found as roaming Pokémon after the National Pokédex is obtained. They roam Sinnoh much like Mesprit and Cresselia do. The player has to talk to Professor Oak in Eterna City to trigger their appearance. They are all at level 60.
    Dialga and Palkia appear on Spear Pillar one at a time after the player has spoken with Cynthia's grandmother in Celestic Town, and obtained the Adamant and Lustrous Orbs in Mt. Coronet.
    Cynthia now gives the player a Pokémon egg containing Togepi after the player has defeated the Galactic Eterna Building.
    Bebe now gives the player an Eevee before the player receives the National Dex; Eevee can now be obtained from the first time the player arrives in Hearthome City. It is at level 20.
    A man in Veilstone City gives the player a level 25 Porygon as a gift.
    Manaphy, while still uncatchable in-game, is now required to obtain the National Dex. It can be added to the Sinnoh Dex from finding its picture in a book in the Trophy Garden.
    Map changes
    Much like the third version of the last generation, a new Battle Frontier takes the place of the Battle Park. It has the Battle Tower, Battle Factory, Battle Castle, Battle Roulette and Battle Stage as venues.
    Twinleaf Town and nearby routes now have snow patches.
    Jubilife City has been refurbished with new pathways and some buildings have animated roof lights.
    The Global Trade Station in Jubilife City has been redesigned and now includes a bigger global terminal.
    An arch now represents the entrance to Floaroma Town.
    The trees in Eterna Forest cast shadows that cover the forest floor.
    Eterna City has been refurbished with new foliage and pathways. Also the Galactic Eterna Building has had a complete redesign, inside and out.
    Cycling Road has been redesigned and now has tunnel-like shelters in the middle of the Cycle Route.
    Hearthome City has been refurbished with new pathways.
    Amity Square has been completely remodeled. It now includes a small lake, more paths and more upper levels. The old buildings that previously inhabited Amity Square now contain Warp Panels which transport the player to the other old buildings within Amity Square.
    Lost Tower has had its color scheme changed and now has fog on three of its five floors, which can be cleared by HM05 (Defog).
    Solaceon Town's houses have been remodeled and the Pokémon Daycare now has a trough filled with water and tent-like shelters.
    Veilstone City has been refurbished with new pathways. The Galactic Veilstone Building has been redesigned, inside and out. The Veilstone Department Store now has a basement.
    The Hotel Grand Lake has been refurbished with new pathways.
    Pastoria City's houses have been remodeled and now also includes a board with a Croagunk on it which is located in front of the Great Marsh.
    The Great Marsh has had its color scheme changed and has also had foliage changed and added.
    Celestic Town's houses have been remodeled.
    Canalave City has been refurbished with new pathways and its houses and library have also been remodeled.
    The player now needs to use HM08 (Rock Climb) to access Lake Acuity.
    The area of water to the south of Snowpoint City where the player can get a boat to the Battle Zone now contains a small amount of icebergs. These can also be seen in the ocean when the boat is crossing to the Battle Zone. The boat has also been redesigned, most likely due to the icebergs in the sea.
    Sunyshore City has been refurbished with new pathways and its houses have been remodeled.
    Sinnoh's climate has changed drastically. Snow is now found as far south as Twinleaf Town, whereas the Battle Zone is now warmer. Palm trees can be found in the Battle Zone.
    Stark Mountain now has more features evocative of a volcano, such as crags and pits of lava.
    Veilstone Department Store now has a basement, in which contest items can be sold and bought. Berries and Lava Cookies can be bought as well.
    The entrance and exit of Victory Road have become wider, having a Poké Ball at the center of the arch.
    Oreburgh Mine now has twin coal transporters starting from the entrance and ending at the entrance to the last section of the mine.
    Connectivity
    The game can connect automatically to Pokémon Diamond and Pearl once the player has access to a Pokémon Center. It retains the same compatibility with Generation III games, Pokémon Battle Revolution and My Pokémon Ranch (Japan only) as its predecessors

Antimatter on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Surf is also very nice in 2v2.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I guess burn happened so rarely and the game was so easy it never occurred to me that attack dropped. Was it just physical attack or did it also affect special?

If its just physical yeah no way I would notice, who uses lame pokemans like Taurus or Rhydon anyhow?

Squall on
    edited January 2009
    Marsh get on AIM we need to discuss...things.

Goose! on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not quite sure which Dittos I have lying about. I might need a jolly and modest ditto though.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
    edited January 2009
    I'm going to buy this game so hard.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    Marsh get on AIM we need to discuss...things.

Well...?
    Campion wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure which Dittos I have lying about. I might need a jolly and modest ditto though.

I've got both, not too sure about their IVs or anything though.

Marshmallow on
    edited January 2009
    IM me, I forgot your screen name :-x

Goose! on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Dublo, the art style and pokemon designs in Diamond/Pearl manage to harken-back to the original games extremely-well. Far better, I think, than the gold/silver or ruby/sapphire generation in my opinion.

It's also noticeably more-difficult than previous incarnations, largely because a lot of gym leaders diversify their lineup so that it's still theme-appropriate, yet spamming a single move won't work.

Sinnoh has a lot of water and earth types but there's a serious shortage of fire around, which is a very subtle but appreciated nod towards the pokemon eco-system.

I hope the next game takes place in an exotic locale like a desert or mountain range.

TankHammer on
    edited January 2009

Dublo, the art style and pokemon designs in Diamond/Pearl manage to harken-back to the original games extremely-well. Far better, I think, than the gold/silver or ruby/sapphire generation in my opinion.

It's also noticeably more-difficult than previous incarnations, largely because a lot of gym leaders diversify their lineup so that it's still theme-appropriate, yet spamming a single move won't work.

Sinnoh has a lot of water and earth types but there's a serious shortage of fire around, which is a very subtle but appreciated nod towards the pokemon eco-system.

I hope the next game takes place in an exotic locale like a desert or mountain range.

I want a space colony pokemon game. Traveling around to different satellite cities, encountering alien pokemon, that would be sweet.

Antimatter on