As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Farcrying 2: The Africans May Cry

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It was. And once you finally made something, no one would play it, they would just play the developers maps.
    It was extremely in depth though. I could see someone creating the equivilent to de_dust2 on it.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It was. And once you finally made something, no one would play it, they would just play the developers maps.
    It was extremely in depth though. I could see someone creating the equivilent to de_dust2 on it.

that would just be irony though

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited January 2009
    Wren wrote: »

...and?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited January 2009

...and?

...and?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited January 2009

...and?

...and?

....................This is the part where you say something contradictory.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I will argree that Saints Row 2 is the shit
    However, mercs 2 can go fuck itself with all of it's goddamn preorder cash.
    Has anyone here even heard of Mercs 1?
    I think that they spent all their cash on the commerical.
    Which I have to admit, was the second best video game advertisment ever. (Next to the orginal Rock Band; Deep Purple, FUCK YES!!!)

Fuck you, the best game commercial was the one for Final Fantasy III where mog was interviewing monsters.

Shorty on
    edited January 2009
    Shorty wrote: »
    Which I have to admit, was the second best video game advertisment ever. (Next to the orginal Rock Band; Deep Purple, FUCK YES!!!)

Fuck you, the best game commercial was the one for Final Fantasy III where mog was interviewing monsters.

I do not remeber that.
    Please post a link to a video proving that this happened.
    Otherwise I win.
    muhahahaha.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bogey wrote: »
    Resistance 2... Now there's a pretty bad game.

It's like they already had a similar game, but re-skinned it for the Resistance universe. The single-player campaign actually bores the hell out of me. The levels may look incredibly great, but they are short, linear and incredibly uninspired. It's pretty neat when you're given orders specifying a certain heading, and yet have no compass to work with. Also, they took away the funnest component of the first game, the split-screen campaign, and replaced it with a completely different mission-based system. Now, this cooperative mode can be fun, but only if you play online with other people. It's a mess if you try to play split-screen, because for some reason the developers made it so that progress made by the 2nd player (you gain experience and items in these matches that you use to upgrade your player with better equipment) can never be saved. Lame! A competitive multiplayer mode is also availible, but feels incredibly vanilla.

Bleah! :P

(Somebody please get this game to play with me!)

Yeah. I kinda expected more out of Resistance 2, but it really just didn't live up to the first. It wasn't -bad- for me, per se, but it could've been so so much more. The whole "Only two weapons" thing is always terrible and should never ever be used in an FPS. I haven't tried the Co-op stuff yet but it seems neat. And I think they're getting a patch out to resolve the "2nd player gets shafted" thing. I still enjoyed it while it lasted, more or less and now it rests under a few other PS3 games to wait until I decide to jump in the co-op.

Staying on topic, though, I actually [strike]have a friend[/strike] know a guy who genuinely likes Far Cry 2. I haven't played it myself, my only indication on the game being the trailer from the Home Beta that they had on the Plaza screens, and I thought it looked neat there. But, I figured it wouldn't be all that great. I wonder about that guy.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited January 2009
    So, no one else here genuinely likes Farcry 2?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't know if it's genuinely possible to really like it.
    It's tolerable, sure - but when I'm playing it, I always feel like I'm wasting time better spent on composing.
    Or playing Valkyria Chronicles/Disgaea 3/DoW II Beta/anything but FC2.

It's just plain boring. And frustrating. And repetitive. And uninspired.

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009
    are there any mods for it yet? a lot of the annoying game mechanics could easily be fixed by a small overhaul

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I do, but I get the feeling it's because I paid absolutely no attention to the game when it was being hyped, so I have nothing to be disappointed in.

Falx on
  • vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    are there any mods for it yet? a lot of the annoying game mechanics could easily be fixed by a small overhaul

Not that I know of. The game really doesn't seem to have any kind of mod support (unlike the original Far Cry).

And yeah. If the game had actually been bloody playtested, or the developers had had any common sense at all they could have damn well released an enjoyable game that lived up to its hype.

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »

Uh, preorder cash? The only thing that I know you got from preordering was some new costumes.

You know, think of all the people that saw the advert, and thought, "Wow that game looks really fun, I think that I'll buy it. Hello? Gamestop? Do you guy have Mercinaries 2. Not out yet? Well, then I think I'll preorder it." Then two weeks later their stuck with another shitty game.

Well I paid money to preorder it and got a fun, if a bit buggy, game.

Moriveth on
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I found Far Cry 2 to be a pretty great game, once you got attuned to how you should be playing it. That is, using the land, avoiding outposts, creating distractions, scouting, etc. I liked what it did with its (slightly) variable narrative, but the missions horribly lacked variety, and it was a longer game than it needed to be. On the other hand, I thought that the level of first person immersion was second to none, so even if it wasn't an incredibly fun game a lot of the time, it was a fantastic visual, visceral experience.

China.

Darric on
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i liked far cry 2 mainly because i never drove anywhere. if i had used the vehicles i'm sure i would have been a lot angrier at it.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • OverOver ...laser cats? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    vader111 wrote: »
    It's just plain boring. And frustrating. And repetitive. And uninspired.

that pretty much sums it up.

game had its moments, to be sure, but then it just repeated them until you might as well grab some pliers and starting pulling your own teeth.

never got tired of the pyro aspect though; taking out outposts by shooting propane tanks, or hurling molotovs across the plains to create a firestorm. good times.

Over on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I enjoyed Far Cry 2.

Every now and then when I have some time to kill I load up the game and take one or two outposts.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I tried hard to like Far Cry 2, but the PC version is a fucking atrocity of consumer software.

As previously mentioned, they couldn't bother to code a server browser, so it uses Xbox Live matchmaking and random-join game features.

That's strike 1.

There was a dedicated server released with the game, but the most recent patch has broken it completely, and although an Ubisoft rep promised a new one would be out in under two weeks (this was a month and a half ago), a new one has yet to come out.

Strike 2.

Every patch has broken the multiplayer more, and none of the patches have actually addressed any of the legitimate software/code bugs or single player issues.

Strike 4.

It runs about 30% faster on Direct X 10 than it does on Direct X 9. No matter what your set-up is. The only problem is that a large number of Direct X 10 users experience a memory leak that causes the game to randomly crash to desktop after an hour of play/60% of system resource usage. Ubisoft has ignored the problem, even though it's extremely widespread. Three months after release, it's still fucked. The only solution is to run the game in DX9 mode, where I experience a ~7FPS drop (going from a playable average of 34FPS to a not-so-playable 27FPS with lots of choking in firefights), and where the shadows look like total jagged ass.

Strikes 5-10.

It's really unlikely that I'll ever buy an Ubisoft game again, and it's easy to say now that I'm doing less and less console gaming.

HadjiQuest on
    edited January 2009
    I guess I'm lucky I never had a problem running the game in DX10?

Darric on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darric wrote: »
    I guess I'm lucky I never had a problem running the game in DX10?

I dunno, I never had a problem either.

L|ama on
    edited January 2009
    Looked pretty damn great, too.

Darric on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I absolutely agree with most of the criticisms about it being incredibly repetitive and not very well thought out. I mean, the fact that they cut out the faction system says a lot.

But I'll be damned if I can't make my own fun.

Like crippling a soldier, leading his buddies into the woods where they lose track of me. Listen to them freak the fuck out while I watch from the darkness, and then killing one of them with the silenced shotgun while muttering something about Llewelyn Moss, rinse and repeat.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited January 2009
    I absolutely agree with most of the criticisms about it being incredibly repetitive and not very well thought out. I mean, the fact that they cut out the faction system says a lot.

But I'll be damned if I can't make my own fun.

Like crippling a soldier, leading his buddies into the woods where they lose track of me. Listen to them freak the fuck out while I watch from the darkness, and then killing one of them with the silenced shotgun while muttering something about Llewelyn Moss, rinse and repeat.

Yeah, all I did was wander around, killing everyone within sight, getting new guns, and doing an underground mission when I needed meds. If you do only that the game is great. Plus, I got it for the Xbox, so no lag.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I tried wandering because that is a thing that I love to do

but man this game is so repetitive that there was literally no course of action I could pursue that I hadn't done countless times before

aagh

Charles Kinbote on
    edited January 2009
    Fine, you guys have conviced me, I'll trade it in at Gamestop tommorow.
    Any good games I should get for the Xbox?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i'm probably going to acquire this when i get a new machine

i feel like it'd look pretty on ultra settings in dx10

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Laszlo KovacsLaszlo Kovacs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i liked far cry 2 mainly because i never drove anywhere. if i had used the vehicles i'm sure i would have been a lot angrier at it.

Man, what? The vehicles were all that made a lot of the missions bearable for me. It took so long to get anywhere on foot that I spent most of my time out of trucks looking for a new truck.

Plus, getting a truck with a mounted gun on it made it much easier to clear checkpoints / roaming jeep encounters.

Laszlo Kovacs on
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The respawn time on those checkpoints were irritating as hell as well.
    One checkpoint was just out of sight from a mission spot. I had to clear it on my way in and out, the mission took about 30-40 secs with my superior blitzkrieg tactics of drive in, blow shit up, steal truck, get out.
    I nearly died because the Africans have superior communication and transportation than any military in the world when it comes to their checkpoints not responding.

Burning Organ on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Those respawn times seriously sucked.

Something reasonable like several in-game hours would've worked, but this is like some gauntlet shit right here.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited January 2009
    I noticed this also. It seems like a lot of design decisions for FC2 were made to artificially stretch playtime as much as possible with no regard for how much fun it was to play.

Laszlo Kovacs on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I picked this up for $17 on Amazon, so I'm pretty happy with FarCry 2. Probably not so much if I paid 50.

Game would have been something special with a little more polish. It's like GTA 4 plus Stalker!

Scosglen on
    edited January 2009
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I picked this up for $17 on Amazon, so I'm pretty happy with FarCry 2. Probably not so much if I paid 50.

Game would have been something special with a little more polish. It's like GTA 4 plus Stalker!

Thats what I thought
    Much better than Mercs 2 in any case

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited January 2009

If by "better" you mean "more polished and cohesive" then I would agree. But for as messy as it was and for all its frustrating bullshit I still had more fun with Mercs 2. I played it in marathon sessions, whereas in FC2 I'm generally bored after less than an hour.

Laszlo Kovacs on
    edited January 2009

If by "better" you mean "more polished and cohesive" then I would agree. But for as messy as it was and for all its frustrating bullshit I still had more fun with Mercs 2. I played it in marathon sessions, whereas in FC2 I'm generally bored after less than an hour.

I guess your kinda right...
    Still, that first hour was pretty fun, huh?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For a gun thats popular for its durability the ak-47 sure jams a lot.
    Still its a decent enough game.

Koolaidguy on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Koolaidguy wrote: »
    For a gun thats popular for its durability the ak-47 sure jams a lot.
    Still its a decent enough game.

also the bolt of the AK is on the wrong side

also the reloads (you have 15 rounds left in the magazine, and one in the chamber. you reload and the character pulls the bolt at the end. an unfired cartridge should be ejected).

also why does the SVD share ammo with the .50 cal sniper

The game has a lot of these kinds of errors throughout!

My biggest issues with the game are:

- The slow pacing is fine, but forcing the player to manually navigate to every mission area isn't. The bus routes help a little, but still not very much. Especially for things such as the underground missions; they could simply spawn the truck on a route very close to where you picked up the mission but no, it has to be at the predefined location which usually ends up being the other side of the map.
    - The rigid weapon slots were too restrictive - they should have gone with the system of R6:Vegas and let the player have two big guns, one small gun.
    - All the guns you pick up are rusty. Even the real tough mercs have rusty, shitty guns.
    - Checkpoint troops instantly go after you, and checkpoints respawn too fast.
    - No actual fighting between factions outside of what you do.
    - The enemies, when hit, hardly react. In GTAIV, they react with every hit - tumbling over, doubling over in pain and so on. In this, they hardly even notice it.
    - Interesting premise to the story, but it never really gains any momentum.
    - No Jack Carver
    - Not nearly enough hang gliding
    - Material penetration system is unreliable and oftentimes even a simple plank of wood can stop every bullet.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
    edited January 2009
    Is it just me, or are all weapons more powerful in the enemies hands?
    It just seems like that might be the case.

Burning Organ on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really loved the first far cry up to the mutant death monkeys

This one sounds fun and looks perty

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited January 2009
    With a mod that reduces enemy spawn times and vehicular patrols it would be more playable.

Burning Organ on