As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In the Second Age of the Third Age, there was KING OF DRAGON PASS [LP]

Indie WinterIndie Winter die KräheRudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Social Entropy++
KoDP.jpg

What is King of Dragon Pass?
Wikipedia wrote:
King of Dragon Pass is a 1999 computer game published by A Sharp. Set in the fictional world of Glorantha, it depicts the lives and fortunes of one of several barbarian clans, settling the untamed lands of Dragon Pass over the course of several decades. The clans bear some similarities, such as fyrds and lawspeakers, to the Iron Age Nordic peoples.

The player controls the seven-member clan ring leading the clan, providing leadership to the clan in all aspects of its life from rituals to diplomacy. The ring can make two macro-level decisions per each of the five seasons in the Gloranthan year. Random events are drawn from a pool of hundreds and are often influenced by previous decisions. In battle, the player determines the goals and preparations, and possibly chooses the actions of his nobles at pivotal moments. To succeed, a player must balance the various needs of survival and prospering, as well as manage the problems presented by the setting or the clan individuals.

But that's just the boring description! Suffice it to say that in this game you control a bunch of rowdy Norsemen who drink, gamble their fortunes with dragons, raise bearded younglings and fight trolls.

Wait, how does this work exactly?
This game doesn't really have a genre. I guess you can call it a god-game/RPG hybrid, but that won't do it justice. There's no animation at all in the game, it's entirely made up of 2D paintings of what's going on. Every ingame year you must plant crops, raise cattle, and war with your neighboring clans. Everything you do in the game has an effect: you don't have enough kindling so you chop down more trees, and a wood nymph sleeps with some of your men, causing vines to burst from their skins. You send a scouting party to the north to look for enemy patrols, you find ancient dwarven treasure. You decide to let some filthy hobos spend the night in your town, and they turn out to be priests who bless the whole town with rains of cows and rye. This goes on and on, and your tiniest act can literally determine if you will find fortune or death in the cold wastes of the north.

And what do we get to do?
Everything! You will decide if our noble tribe pays homage to the Gods, plants more crops, goes to war, or chooses to banish the town drunk after he fucks all the livestock. Every decision in the game I will leave to you, my humble audience.

How often will you update? I've been hurt before, you know.
I don't know. I don't care. Maybe I'll only update once. Maybe I'll keep going to the end of the game. Maybe I'll forget about the thread after a week only to bring it back in two months. Who knows! he goal is to have fun, not commit to a tight schedule. I'll update when I feel like it.

I'm still not sure if I should care...
ah, but I have just the thing to change your mind! For only in King of Dragon Pass can you:

Wage Epic Battles!
Screen5.jpg

Compete In Viking Iron Chef Contests!
festival.jpg

Totally Trip Out On Some Drugs To Prove You've Got What It Takes To Rule!
Screen6.jpg

Ride Dinosaurs!
R10Full.jpg
Screen1.jpg
whoabv0.png

wY6K6Jb.gif
Indie Winter on

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    1.jpg

Our Clan is an old one, coming from the days when the Father God Orlanth married the Mother Goddess Emalda. It was during that great feast that we:

1) Donned on shining armor to protect Emalda from Orlanth's many enemies
    2) Mightily quaffed the Eight Known Drinks with Orlanth, so that our heads would hurt during the ceremony
    3) Our women withdrew with Emalda and learned the List of Names, which they swore never to repeat to the men.

5.jpg

Orlanth fought to remake the world in his image. In that struggle we:

1) Fought in the battle of the Extinguish Field, where Orlanth defeated his greatest enemy, Yelm the Bright Emperor
    2) Participated in the Hundred-Day Hunt, where Orlanth's brother Odalya tracked the Sky Bear
    3) Were present in Jested's Settlement, where the Talking God Issaries outwitted the foreign deities.
    4) Herded the livestock in the Procession of the Animals, where the Cow Goddess Uralda led the mighty droves of cattle into Orlanth's stead.
    5) Helped Barntar son of Orlanth harness the first oxen to the plow.
    6) Joined with Emalda and her daughters upon their return from the Hidden Place, to hear of the secrets they discovered.
    7) Learned the way of bone marking from Lhankor Mhy the Knowing God, who taught us the first magic.
    8) Aided Pella the Goddess of Pottery in baking the first pot to store grain in.
    9) Frolicked with Roitina, the Lady of the Dance, when she first preformed the Clan-making Dance.

10.jpg

It was during this time we met and first fought our greatest enemies:

1) The Trolls
    2) The Beastmen
    3) The Elves
    4) The Flat Landers
    5) The Sea Lords
    6) The Ice Tribes

3-1.jpg

Orlanth defeated many clans and tribes, and their beaten people came to us pleading for marcy. We:

1) Enslaved them all.
    2) Adopted them as family.

2.jpg

But then the creatures of Chaos struck, and the world was lost to anarchy. The Gods chose to fight the darkness, and they went into realms unknown to face their destinies.

4.jpg

For many centuries all contact between gods and those humans left was lost, until our people found and contacted:

1) Elmal the Loyal Thane (servant god)
    2) Urox the Storm Bull (war god)
    3) Odalya the Hunter
    4) Emalda the Mother Goddess
    5) Orlanth the Father God
    6) Issaries the Talking God
    7) Lhankor Mhy the Knowing God
    8) Chalana Arroy the Healing Goddess
    9) Uralda the Cow Goddess

7.jpg

After the Darkness our clan reformed around a great King, who led us down the path of:

1) War
    2) Balance
    3) Peace

6.jpg

After the reign of the king, dragons approached the clans, offering to teach us what they know and lead us. Orlanth was always a slayer of dragons, and warned us of their tricky nature. We decided to:

1) Attack the dragons
    2) Refuse the dragons' offer
    3) Give no negative reply, but stay where we were
    4) Follow the dragons

8.jpg

The dragons led the people who agreed to follow them to Dragon Pass, where they kept them safe for two hundred years. Once the two hundred years were up, and the human population in the Pass grew and swelled, the dragons rose up, and devoured them all.

9.jpg

Many, many years have passed since then, and failing crops, dying cattle and warring clans have made us consider traveling to the Pass. Now we embark anew, setting out to a new home in Dragon Pass, hoping to improve the power and prestige of our tribe, and rise once more to greatness.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man I have never heard of this game, but it really sounds like something I'd enjoy. A lot of games now talk all about choice and theres two decisions at the end that matter. I know it's easier to do it with text and pictures, but it still sounds like fun to me.

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ok, updated the LP. first 6 (or so) people who vote on how we start get to shape the, err, shape of our clan!

EDIT: ok, lots of choices there. Everyone who wants to can just vote for whatever they want, if I see a large number of people going for the same option, I'll pick it, if not, I'll decide.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Where do I get this?

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This looks pretty cool.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    CorpseRT wrote: »
    This looks pretty cool.

it is pretty cool

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This looks pretty cool.

it is pretty cool

Cool.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    This looks pretty cool.

it is pretty cool

Cool.

I know

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    1 7 2 1 2 1 2

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Edit: Apparently I am a man of simple tastes.

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Where do I get it?

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    trentsteel wrote: »
    Where do I get it?

it's a decade old game dude

I only have it because it's the first game I got for my first computer (along with Little Big Adventure) and I never throw anything away

you may be out of luck

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wellthanks for nothing

trentsteel on

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    2) Mightily quaffed the Eight Known Drinks with Orlanth, so that our heads would hurt during the ceremony
    Quaffing? I'm there, dude.
    6) Joined with Emalda and her daughters upon their return from the Hidden Place, to hear of the secrets they discovered.
    Daughters? hidden places? Secrets? joining? Rowrr. :winky:
    3) The Elves
    They can out quaff us and still score vestigial virgin goddess daughters. Bastards.
    1) Enslaved them all.

The eight known drinks aren't going to bring themselvesf, and I'm busy joining with my daughter of the gods over here.
    4) Emalda the Mother Goddess

So, about those daughters you used to have...
    3) Peace

Quaff. Join. Repeat.
    2) Refuse the dragons' offer

Fuck that shit, man, I be busy quaffing and joining over here.
    The dragons led the people who agreed to follow them to Dragon Pass, where they kept them safe for two hundred years. Once the two hundred years were up, and the human population in the Pass grew and swelled, the dragons rose up, and devoured them all.

See?

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also, Little Big Adventure is awesome.

Fishman on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh man, neat.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh man, neat.

I learned so much from you mori

specifically, how not to do a LP

seriously though, I looked up your previous attempts for inspiration, they gave my a very good idea on how I want to do this

t Fishman: Little Big Adventure is so awesome

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    2, 7, 5, 1, 7, 2, 3

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh man, neat.

I learned so much from you mori

specifically, how not to do a LP

seriously though, I looked up your previous attempts for inspiration, they gave my a very good idea on how I want to do this
    Mori taught me everything I know about abandoning LP's.
    t Fishman: Little Big Adventure is so awesome

Hi5^

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    All right, the votes are in, and the end results are:

results.jpg

I'm going to play the first turn as a tutorial of sorts, to give you guys a sense of what the game is like. If anyone wants to pipe in and try to add something, now is the time.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Woo! Quaffing!

Fishman on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Holy shitbutt this is absolutely awesome

Where can I acquire a copy of this game

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    10-1.jpg

High were the Winds and Clear was the Sky when the Bloodstone clan first set foot upon the lands of Dragon Pass. The first thing we did, as we must do every year, is assign magic points. These points will determine in what fields we will 'excel' this year. However, it is also prudent not to invest all of your magic for the coming year in this screen, in case future sacrifices and rituals will be needed. This is what was chosen:

12.jpg

This is the "main screen". Here we can decide how many farmers, craftsmen, hunters and weaponthanes (dedicated warriors) we want. Right now I'll leave this unchanged.

13.jpg

Now it's time to reorganize my clan ring. The game does this automatically for you, but I prefer to let my intuition play a part. It's important that there's a balance between males and females on the clan ring, to ensure a healthy number of children:

14.jpg

This is the farming screen. A little explanation: More wheat should be grown in good years, more barley in bad and more rye in absolute desperation. You can also see our cow-to-crop ratio here. Finally, slaughtering means we get a bunch of food right away, at the cost of more innocent bovine lives.

15.jpg

The diplomacy screen. We can send emissaries to different clans to offer alliances, demand tribute, or give gifts.

16.jpg

The trade screen. Here we can determine who we want to trade with, what we want to trade, and if we desire to open a long term trading route with anyone.

17.jpg

Our food stockpiles, while not small, could use balking up. We have very little need of trade goods, so we'll barter them for it. The Greenwing tribe, gluttons that they are, have the biggest stockpiles around, so we'll go to them. Weaponthanes and footmen will be assigned in case of bandits, or betrayal. I send my best bargainer with them.

110.jpg

The war screen. Fortifications, patrols, cattle raids and full on attacks are decided here.

18.jpg

The God screen. We can offer sacrifices to the gods, so that they may aid us. Their help can come in many forms, from healing sicknesses to unnatural vigor in battle to exceptional magic use. Our worship of Lhankor Mhy grants us Literacy, which aids our dealings with other clans, and our shrine to Orlanth ensures appropriate rainfall for our crops. I decide to pay homage to Vinga, Goddess of the Hunt, so we can build a shrine for the Frydwomen blessing. It's time those lazy women got off their backs and started fighting with the men!

121.jpg

The map. Seeing as how Dragon Pass is largely unknown land, we have much to explore. Exploring is best done in summer, for with snowfall the roads become dangerous. Who knows what wonders lie hidden in the forgotten edges of the world? Let's find out! This blank little piece in the south bothers me, so we'll go there. We must assign enough thanes and footmen for any potential skirmish.

111.jpg

Our trading party returned. Their trip was a success, and much useless pottery was exchanged for delicious cow flesh. But we have even better news: our explorers return from the southern mountains with a discovery:

113.jpg

Treasure you say?! In this case I will send my resident Trickster to try and acquiring in from the wyrm. If he succeeds, all the clan benefits. If he fails, well, he's a jerk, and we shall thrash him most strongly.

114.jpg

Excellent! More gold for us! But now our allies the Vanstali come to us, asking for help against their enemies, the Hillhavens. Compelled by honor to grant their request, but not willing to part with all my weaponthanes, I send a token force with them. Besides, the less of my men are there the more loot will left for them!

115.jpg

Finally, a dire omen.

116.jpg

That filthy bastard Borngold! He wishes for us too keep the effigy there, an insult to Orlanth! Looks like he'll be getting his thrashing after all!

117.jpg

Winter has come. We increase the patrols, build a stake perimeter to ward off future attacks, and more than double the number of our hunters, so that come next spring we will have more meat, and earlier warnings of incoming raids.

118.jpg

The Narri clan, with which we have a long standing feud, have send an emissary to us with gifts. After consulting with the clan ring we have decided to accept them. Refusal would have brought on their ire, and a welcoming feast would show that we are weak and desire peace most strongly. We shall leave further decisions regarding them for next year.

119.jpg

Finally, we build a shrine for Vinga, to house the Frydwomen blessing. Women belong in the kitchen, and on the battlefield.

120.jpg

That's it for this year! You guys tell me what you want to do next year, and we'll do it. Any event the game throws at me will be posted here, and you will get to decide what we do with it.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sacrifice a child to Orlanth.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is it possible to expand and take over other settlements

ps you are one of my favorite posters

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Is it possible to expand and take over other settlements

ps you are one of my favorite posters

yes it is very possible

but we are still weak and fragile

the tribe we attack must first be weakened by taking its cattle, its men and its treasures

finally, we shall take their land

FOR WE ARE THE BLOODSTONE CLAN

MIGHTIEST OF MEN

SEXIEST OF WOMEN

CUTEST OF BABES

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What can we do?

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Anything. I'll leave out boring stuff like "reduce number of potters", but if you want to learn the secrets of a god, go to war, explore a bit of the map, trade, you tell me, we'll do it. If you want to know more about a subject, tell me that, I'll post some screencaps and an explanation.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Secrets of a God? That sounds intriguing.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

what god than? don't give me a name, give a description. War, diplomacy, storm, if you say something it's probably in the game one way or another.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009

what god than? don't give me a name, give a description. War, diplomacy, storm, if you say something it's probably in the game one way or another.

Trickery. Your trickster did a bitchin' job.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Hmmm... I like expeditions into the unknown, but this secrets of the Gods thing sounds interesting.

Of course we could do what I always do in a 4x game - breed like rabbits, outconsume my resources, then invade my neighbours with overwhelming-yet-hungry forces.

Fishman on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Yeah, until he tried to trick everyone into worshiping that fuckin' mud god.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Well, we was kept in line. What can you say?

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited January 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Well, we was kept in line. What can you say?

"Baby, why you gotta make me hit you?" :?:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Man I hope I can find this somehow.

It's like the perfect game for me to smoke and play at the same time.

trentsteel on

• Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I cant wait to see us spectacularly fail a spirit quest. Those're awesome.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I cant wait to see us spectacularly fail a spirit quest. Those're awesome.

Is it even possible to succeed doing one of those? I've always failed (miserably), so I just stopped trying.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif