As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Hellgate: London thread of HOLY FUCK its not dead.

bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22005
Although it is slated to stop operating in the West on January 31, multiplayer online title Hellgate: London will continue on here as a free-to-play game, according to comments from Korean publisher and developer HanbitSoft.

The announcement comes in spite of a decision by Namco-Bandai, which co-published the game through an agreement with Electronic Arts' EA Partners, to terminate the game's servers.

HanbitSoft has asserted that it owns the IP, engines and source code for the Flagship Studios title worldwide, and will maintain Hellgate: London for its global community. HanbitSoft had previously been responsible for only the game's Korean operations.

The switch to a free-to-play model was the first official announcement the company has made regarding the fate of the title, which during its lifetime suffered from perceived quality issues, and an insufficient userbase, playing a key role in the closing of Flagship Studios in July 2008.

HanbitSoft also says in an official press statement seen by Gamasutra that future updates for Hellgate: London are in the works, with a focus on "strengthening community features" while maintaining the core gameplay as is.

The next "large-scale" patch, according to HanbitSoft, will be released "soon," and will combine the game's two play modes to unify its communities. The company also plans class balance improvements and further distinction between the game's five acts.

Now granted I dont like Hellgate London all that much, BUT a huge part of it was the pay to play bullshit. With this looking like its going to be 100% free to play I could get behind this.

bloodyroarxx on

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That is pretty rad.

Granted, i never picked this up, but at least i can be the bearer of good news to my friends that have.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Unexpected, but pleasant news! Played the demo a while back and I thought it had some potential, but the subscription model really turned me off.

Now when they say free, do they mean entirely free, or will I still need to buy a copy of the game?

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Also if Hanbitsoft actually updates this I can only hope they put some rad as fucking korean MMO-ish armor that they love to design in this bitch. The armor in this game is fairly bland.

Free to play you gotta buy it still but really its probalbly in the 5$ bin at EBstop and Bestbuy.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I had a friend who bought the lifetime membership for this.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »

:lol:

TL DR on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Wahahahaha.

Did he get any sort of refund?

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So this weekend, the copy of HGL that I've had for offer on Goozex finally get a match. I eagerly send it off, happy to get it off my hands before the servers go kablooey. And now I find this out. Dammit.

I always enjoyed Hellgate despite its flaws. You get to kill demons with a gun that shoots bees.

BEES!

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah that's absolutely hysterical

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey, this is great news. Can't wait for when they combine the content. I recently uninstalled the game, but that might be something to get me back into it.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pretty sweet. I wasn't a fan of the shooting but playing a blademaster was awesome.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmm. I might have to get back into this. I haven't touched my copy in quite some time.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    SpindriftSpindrift Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Must I install this game AGAIN?

Spindrift on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I could never find anyone to play this game with, it really killed what was already a sub-par title for me.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do I have to create a new account? Will I get to continue playing my old account? As soon as the new patch comes out I'll reinstall!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Worse yet: I talked a friend into getting the lifetime because I was going to do it as well. But I ran out of money and couldn't do it........ And he did.

urahonky on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

Worse yet: I talked a friend into getting the lifetime because I was going to do it as well. But I ran out of money and couldn't do it........ And he did.

Reminds me of a guy that convinced a friend into investing 12 grand into a hot stock tip, but didn't invest himself. The economy tanked and that 12 grand turned into 250 bucks.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Yeah that's absolutely hysterical

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I recently threw my CD out, I had a mid-level marksman in green/white armor.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do I have to create a new account? Will I get to continue playing my old account? As soon as the new patch comes out I'll reinstall!

I'm curious about this as well.

I don't think I could be assed to re-level a character from scratch again, but if I had access to my old Engineer, I might mess around a bit, especially if they have the Stonehenge content open for everyone. I never actually got to fight the final badguy in that area, because I wanted to get to 50 for the best drops on my first time. I think my Engineer is level 48 or something like that. I ended up cancelling my account payments for spare cash, and then the game collapsed like a week or two later.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh man oh man... if my character doesn't go poof and if they get some competent peeps to finish up abyss chronicles I would be all over this like stink on poo poo.

corin7 on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    They're practically giving this game away in Canada. I may have to go pick it up and give it a try because of this.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »

I'm curious about this as well.

I don't think I could be assed to re-level a character from scratch again, but if I had access to my old Engineer, I might mess around a bit, especially if they have the Stonehenge content open for everyone. I never actually got to fight the final badguy in that area, because I wanted to get to 50 for the best drops on my first time. I think my Engineer is level 48 or something like that. I ended up cancelling my account payments for spare cash, and then the game collapsed like a week or two later.

I also have some subscriber only gear I'd like to try out.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmmm. I might start playing this again.

My poor roommate who bought the lifetime membership... :P

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I might be arsed to check out the subscription content then if that is the case... holy cow.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So what do us lifetime subscribers get for our troubles? I never got into the game (was distracted by something else) but I really liked the theme.

KiTA on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You got a warm fuzzy feeling that you were providing a company with much needed funding that kept it alive for as long as it did.

Noone ever expects the game to tank and people to loose their money, but I mean, seriously, the risk IS there and you know it before you go for it.

Give me back mythos.

edit: oh boy, terrible totp!

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I submit to you that the company in fact deserved to go out of business due to releasing an unfinished product and attempting to gouge the consumers for as much money as possible as quickly as possible as they knew there game was a flop!

But it is nice to see the game is staying up/going free for those that actually enjoy it and want to keep playing.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You got a warm fuzzy feeling that you were providing a company with much needed funding that kept it alive for as long as it did.

Noone ever expects the game to tank and people to loose their money, but I mean, seriously, the risk IS there and you know it before you go for it.

Give me back mythos.

edit: oh boy, terrible totp!

Man I had almost pushed Mythos out of my head until I saw this post. What a lovely game that was. I'd pay full retail price for it.

Anyway, like I said before I think I'm going to get back into this. I never really played it multi-player, mostly just single-player, and when they started patching things in multi but not in single I knew things were in trouble. I always was a fan of the game though, for about a month it was all I would talk to my friends about. Sadly, I could not convince anyone to try the game.

brynstar on
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The game should have been free to play from the get-go, with pay as you go upgrades. Both this and DDO online could have learned a lot from the Guild Wars business model. I'll be checking Hellgate out again when it goes free.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    From a gameplay standpoint, is the prevailing opinion for this game that of a "salvagable" nature? It must be for them to suddenly turn around and start supporting it (however limited it might be at first).

shanis on
    Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Judge-Z wrote: »
    The game should have been free to play from the get-go, with pay as you go upgrades. Both this and DDO online could have learned a lot from the Guild Wars business model. I'll be checking Hellgate out again when it goes free.

Wait...am I not understanding what's happening here? I thought it WAS going free.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FireWeasel wrote: »

Wait...am I not understanding what's happening here? I thought it WAS going free.

It is. They should have made it free from the beginning. DDO too, apparently.

KiTA on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    FireWeasel wrote: »

It is. They should have made it free from the beginning. DDO too, apparently.

Oh, I agree there shoulda been no paid model especially given how fubar buggy it was.

It was just the "I'll check it out again when it goes free" comment that threw me off.

Also: this is great news! I love the hell out of Hellgate, despite its intense headache-inducing screwiness. I aaaaaaaaaaaaalmost got the lifetime thang, too.

Either way, this is aces.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm interested but I'm not getting my hopes up quite yet.

I don't know if things are changed over with the Korean servers, but I have this unfortunate itch that some maple story style money sink will be there. Maybe not exactly like that, but cash is going to be shoveled at them for enjoyment of the upmost quality.

If they could actually finish the Abyss patch, get some more tweaks and stablize the engine more, well they could very well clean this thing up and go guild wars on everyone.

But this is korea.

Anyone know anything about Hanbit outside of the epic drama known as Flagship?

I wonder what it'll look like on my rig with new upgrades.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

Yeah, if you want to compete with WoW then don't start off with such an obviously flawed payment scheme. You have to be a better deal, since it doesn't matter if you're the better game.

TL DR on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hahahaha.

I am curious to find out what the Koreans have been doing with the game. As far as I know they never got the Abyss Chronicles rolled out even in testing over there. They were starting up a studio in the US to take over the development void left by Flagship or some such.

devoir on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I figured since today was the final day for the US servers (and the entire website apparently) to remember what could have been. Alas gamasutra ammended their article a little later and said Hanbit's statement didn't necessarily mention global support, only unspecified regions.

So here's to Hellgate: London, so miss managed yet so much potential.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I figured since today was the final day for the US servers (and the entire website apparently) to remember what could have been. Alas gamasutra ammended their article a little later and said Hanbit's statement didn't necessarily mention global support, only unspecified regions.

Here here!

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I agree! Hellgate, you were so much fun, and you could have been so much more awesome.

brynstar on
  • Options
    LeetfulLeetful Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, if you want to compete with WoW then don't start off with such an obviously flawed payment scheme. You have to be a better deal, since it doesn't matter if you're the better game.

Is your low-flying insinuation here that this has already come to pass, and an objectively better game exists? Because a quick metacritic lookup of the biggest contenders in the market says the opposite. Guild Wars is, by far, the closest -- but as soon as you add in expansions, it drops off.

Leetful on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Leetful wrote: »

Is your low-flying insinuation here that this has already come to pass, and an objectively better game exists? Because a quick metacritic lookup of the biggest contenders in the market says the opposite. Guild Wars is, by far, the closest -- but as soon as you add in expansions, it drops off.

Yeah because more people pay for it doesn't mean it's inherently better. More people paid money to see Titanic than The Dark Knight, does that make Titanic a better movie?

urahonky on