As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TV on DVD: Recommendations

UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I didn't see a thread of this type, so...

TV on DVD. Best thing ever, IMO. Both from a price standpoint (a TV show offers many more hours worth of entertainment to the dollar than movies), to getting caught up on new shows (Lost, The Office) and discovering some old classics.

TV on DVD was at one time a bright new world for me, filled with so many viable options. But now...that large window is starting to close. I've reached a pretty high saturation point, and this is where you fine people come in. I just bought Mad Men Season 1 and Wonderfalls today, and plan to get Psych and Spaced on Friday, but other than that not much has been catching my eyes.

So if you would, I'd like you to discuss your favorites. Talk about if a show has been quality all the way throughout, if there are certain seasons I can skip or stop at, etc. Also this can be a thread to talk about new upcoming shows on DVD you're excited about.

A few things I need to clarify first:

- NO reality television. The only reality show I've ever liked is Top Chef, which is sadly not on DVD.
- Anime is okay, but no hentai/tentacle stuff, please.

That's pretty much it. A list of the shows I already own is below, spoilered for length, so anything other than these is fair game for recommendation.

Thanks in advance!
30 Rock (Seasons 1 and 2)
The Adventures of Pete and Pete (Season 1)
Arrested Development (Complete Series)
Babylon 5 (Season 1)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Seasons 1-3)
Clerks: The Animated Series (Complete Series)
Cowboy Bebop (Complete Series)
Deadliest Catch (Season 1)
Dexter (Season 1)
Firefly (Complete Series)
Friday Night Lights (Season 1)
Futurama (Season 1)
House (Season 1)
Heroes (Seasons 1 and 2)
Jericho (Complete Series)
Lost (Seasons 1-4)
Mad Men (Season 1)
Martian Successor Nadesico (Complete Series)
The O.C. (Complete Series)
The Office (Seasons 1-4)
Planet Earth (Complete Series)
Pushing Daisies (Season 1)
Scrubs (Seasons 1-6)
The Simpsons (Seasons 4 and 5)
Smallville (Seasons 1-3, 5 and 6)
Twin Peaks (Complete Series)
Veronica Mars (Complete Series)
Weeds (Seasons 1 and 2)
The Wire (Season 1)
Wonderfalls (Complete Series)
Yu Yu Hakusho (Seasons 1-3)

UnbreakableVow on

• EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Have you seen BSG??????????? I heard its awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Emanon wrote: »
    Have you seen BSG??????????? I heard its awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not.

I'm waiting to see a good sale on Season 1 before I take the dive, because I have a feeling it's going to swallow me whole.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's REALLY wide open but....

Entourage

as far as my must-watch "pay" Cable Station shows. All have a delightful mix of drama and comedy. Sopranos is an obvious suggestion but by now I assume everyone on Earth already watched it. Deadwood is the next series on my queue, I've heard good things

Also if we're talking "Any show ever made that's on DVD" Get The Mighty Boosh seasons 1-3 are all pure gold

edit: oh no! i didn't look at the list carefully dexter and weeds cut from the post, you sir have good taste

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Shield

All 7 seasons are 100% gold. Only 1-6 are out yet, but 7 will be a day one purchase for me. I currently have 3 different guys going through the series with my DVDs and they all love it.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Wire is one I'm not afraid to waste vast amounts of time watching, mostly because it deals with the real world....sort of. Actually I love most HBO shows. Band of Brothers would be my favorite.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Farscape! Farscape is a show every sci-fi lover should own on DVD. Red Dwarf, too.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    Farscape! Farscape is a show every sci-fi lover should own on DVD. Red Dwarf, too.

Does it exist in a decent format yet? They used to have Farscape on a retarded 3-episode DVD at hideous prices.

Echo on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Six Feet Under
    Farscape
    Extras
    Entourage
    Chuck
    Terminator : TSCC

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Echo wrote: »

Does it exist in a decent format yet? They used to have Farscape on a retarded 3-episode DVD at hideous prices.

ADV did have the Starburst editions a while back, but those are a bust now. Season 1's rights got bought by Sony so, well, until they do something with it there's no Season 1 on DVD.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The rest of Babylon 5?

Stargate SG-1 is pretty good for the first couple of seasons.

The 4400 was pretty cool.

Is Psyche out on DVD yet?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Pretender.

Came out mid-late 90s. It's about a supergenius that basically grew up in a lab. He escapes and hijinx commence to happening. The hook is that he can basically pretend to be anything. Surgeon, pilot, lawyer etc etc.

Show was before it's time. Nowadays with the huge over-arcing plots of so many shows, it would fit right in, but back then people were more used to a story per episode regimen.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited January 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The rest of Babylon 5?

Stargate SG-1 is pretty good for the first couple of seasons.

The 4400 was pretty cool.

Is Psyche out on DVD yet?

Yeah, I've been meaning to get the rest of Babylon 5. I really enjoyed season one.

And yes, Psych seasons one and two are out on DVD. I'm getting season one on Friday.

UnbreakableVow on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rome.

Till you see it, all other suggestions are wrong.

Ok, except maybe The Wire.

shryke on
    edited January 2009
    Anyone here seen Carnivale? Is it any good? It always intrigues me whenever I go to Best Buy.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Requisite Battlestar Galactica. Almost pure quality start to finish.

If you like Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies, check out Dead Like Me. Two seasons from Showtime, and a movie is coming out next month I think.

Angel 1-3 is quite good. Season 5 is also pretty good, but probably won't make a lot of sense without trudging through season 4.

Dark Angel is pretty cheesy fun, but becomes much more serious fun in the second season.

If you're not already familiar with him, Aaron Sorkin's work is excellent. Sports Night and West Wing are quality. I think Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is also great, but it got pretty mixed reviews.

For animated stuff, Venture Brothers, Samurai Jack and Batman: TAS are all highly recommended.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited January 2009
    I saw season one of Venture Brothers and it didn't do anything for me. I love Batman: The Animated Series, and surprisingly, I never even thought about getting it. Just didn't hit me.

Never seen Samurai Jack.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyone here seen Carnivale? Is it any good? It always intrigues me whenever I go to Best Buy.

It was Ron Moore's show before BSG so that intrigues me. Keep in mind though, it was plotted out for six seasons, and only got 2.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Angel 1-3 is quite good. Season 5 is also pretty good, but probably won't make a lot of sense without trudging through season 4.

Bah, Season 4 is great.

You can also look at getting Buffy 4-7. The show is never as good as in the first 3 seasons (the quality followed David Boreanaz around for some inexplicable reason), but it's still good.

Angel 1-5, however, is better then Buffy 4-7.

shryke on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Earth 2

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited January 2009

It was Ron Moore's show before BSG so that intrigues me. Keep in mind though, it was plotted out for six seasons, and only got 2.

That's a downer.

One of the things that drew me to Babylon 5 was the fact that it was plotted out for five seasons beforehand, and I believe it was one of the first shows to have huge arching storylines.

EDIT: This is also what drew me to Lost, I had heard (erroneously) that the writers didn't know what the fuck they were doing, but when I heard about the locked-down contract, I went out and bought season one. With obviously beneficial results.

UnbreakableVow on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Earth 2

Hell yes. Although, IIRC you can just watch it instantly online via Netflix (if you have a Netflix account, which everyone should).

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rome

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    prnphotos066953-nickelodeon-avatar.jpg

Is one of the best shows I've seen. It looks like an "anime," but it's made by Americans and has American sensibilities of plot and pacing (so no 12-episode punch attacks).

It's about ... well, basically, if you like Final Fantasy, you'll love this shit.

Qingu on
    edited January 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    prnphotos066953-nickelodeon-avatar.jpg

Is one of the best shows I've seen. It looks like an "anime," but it's made by Americans and has American sensibilities of plot and pacing (so no 12-episode punch attacks).

It's about ... well, basically, if you like Final Fantasy, you'll love this shit.

*gasp*

I like Final Fantasy!

UnbreakableVow on
  • obolon84obolon84 Good news, everyone! I just blue myself.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seems like you have a lot of the DVDs I do. Great choice on Spaced and since you're getting Wonderfalls, I'd suggest getting Dead Like Me (they have some things in common).

I bought Season 1 of Carnivale after hearing good things about it and liked it so much I immediately went out and got the second season. Though, as someone mentioned, the end of Season 2 leaves a sort of unfulfilled feeling as there is so much more that could be told.

Here are some other ones that I highly recommend:
    • The Office UK (the original is a lot better than the American in some ways, though I guess it really depends on the person)
    • Curb Your Enthusiasm (from the creator of Seinfeld, so it might depend on if you like that show)
    • Invasion (sort of a sci-fi drama that only lasted one season)
    • Day Break (actiony detective show about a guy that keeps reliving the same day over)
    • Sports Night/Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip (Aaron Sorkin shows that take place around TV studio atmosphere, with one being a Sportscenter type show and the other SNL type)
    • West Wing (another Aaron Sorkin show about President/White House staff)
    • Freaks and Geeks/Undeclared (if you like Judd Apatow movies, I think you'd like these. Freaks and Geeks is especially great)
    • It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
    • Playmakers (sports drama show that takes an in-depth look at a fictional NFL team)
    • Firefly
    • Action

obolon84 on
    bJnuewi.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nip/Tuck: Seasons One and Two. It jumps the shark in season three. Smarter medical drama than most people give it credit for, at least until it gets stupid about three or four episodes into Season Three.
    Coupling (BBC) - Described as the "British Friends." Only smarter. And funnier. And sexier.
    Cracker (BBC) - Ronnie Coltrane is amazing as a gambling-addicted forensic psychologist.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • NumeroNumero Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Motherfucking Deadwood. Ian McShane blows my mind, and then I remember that he'll do just about anything for a paycheck (Death Race remake).

Numero on
    edited January 2009
    obolon84 wrote: »
    • The Office UK (the original is a lot better than the American in some ways, though I guess it really depends on the person)

Weird that we have very similar tastes but do not agree on this one. I like the British Office, but I feel the American just surpasses it in every way possible from season two on (especially season three).

UnbreakableVow on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Colombo fucking rules

Greatnation on
  • obolon84obolon84 Good news, everyone! I just blue myself.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    obolon84 wrote: »

Weird that we have very similar tastes but do not agree on this one. I like the British Office, but I feel the American just surpasses it in every way possible from season two on (especially season three).

Well, it's not that I like the British one more. It's just that the British one is very realistic to me and I guess a lot of the humor comes from the atmosphere it sets up. Having said that, I can watch the American one over and over and not get tired of it as fast as I would from the original.

obolon84 on
    bJnuewi.jpg
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    All the people who mentioned Rome from HBO speak the truth.

Duffel on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a fan of Californication and Entourage. They are very similar shows, extreme ups and downs, sex drugs and rock and roll, etc. I do like them though, and while in ways I'm a bigger fan of Entourage I'd say Californication is the better show.

Six Feet Under is supposed to be great, I just ordered it. I liked True Blood this year and that should be coming out soon. Mad Men is supposed to be excellent.

You can get Clerk The Animated Series for pretty cheap I'm sure and it's six episodes of really great humor if you're a Kevin Smith fan (though in my opinion it's probably the easiest thing of his for anyone to like).
    Shows like Duck Man, Clone High, Undergrads and some others I'm forgetting are more great animated adult geared comedies.

Twin Peaks is supposed to be cool though I've yet to see it. There's always the first few seasons of 24, for me up to five is worth watching and obviously the jury is still out on the current one.

Skit shows like Mr. SHow and Kids In THe Hall are excellent though obviously there's no story to follow. I like Wonder Showzen though I've really not seen it a lot and I'm not sure it's something I'd need to own, it might drive one insane watching to many eps in a row.

sorry if I doubled anyone, just read the OP and ran with it. I'm sure there's a lot I'm forgetting.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    gundam470 wrote: »
    Rome

Good man.

Burn Notice
    Babylon 5
    Law & Order (vanilla and SVU)

I wish History Channel would sell complete seasons, instead of rape-expensive single discs. Aside from The Universe (which I want), I haven't seen a lot from them available. :|

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Seconding Dead Like Me, it's absolutely wonderful. Ditto for Battlestar Galactica, though I know more than one person has said it. :lol:

Seriously, though, Dead Like Me.

Hylianbunny on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Rome

Good man.

Agh, how could I forget Rome? HBO is so freakin' good, which also brings me to Band of Brothers. I just got it on Blu-ray, and my goodness, it's gorgeous.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Off the top of my head:
    Avatar, West Wing, How I met your mother, Daybreak, Terminator, and more of The Wire.

I'm surprised you never went past season 3 of Buffy. If it helps at all, Nathan Fillion appears in the last season. :P

Mei Hikari on
    edited January 2009
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    I'm surprised you never went past season 3 of Buffy. If it helps at all, Nathan Fillion appears in the last season. :P

I watched up through season five, just haven't gotten around to the last two seasons. I have a reason to now, though.

And I just read the premise on Burn Notice in the Burn Notice thread, it sounds really good.

UnbreakableVow on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    you should for sure get seasons 4-5 of Buffy.. that was still in the show's prime.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Season 1 of Prison Break and only season 1 of Prison Break. Don't bother looking for the seasons after that. :P The first one is fantastic, though.

Organichu on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Rome

Good man.

Agh, how could I forget Rome? HBO is so freakin' good, which also brings me to Band of Brothers. I just got it on Blu-ray, and my goodness, it's gorgeous.

Yes, Band of Brothers is required. I still haven't seen it on blu-ray though but I can see how it would be totally awesome with the cinematography.

Venture brothers too, though if you didn't watch Jonny Quest when you were a kid or other super hero/villian cartoons you probably won't get a lot of the jokes.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig