As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Summer Dump pg.3 [Watts Thread] (NSFW/56k)

Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
edited September 2009 in Artist's Corner
So as probably most of you know, I started down at Watts Atelier where Cakemikz goes 2 weeks ago or so.

Cake suggested, nay, demanded a progress thread, a request accompanied by much threatening finger waggling- thus, this thread. (You didn't say it had to be well-formatted though! HA HA!) Hopefully actual progress will be made in the coming weeks, thus saving me from looking like a dense clod.

So anyways, the progress thus far, roughly (but not exactly because I have a horrible memory) organized by class.

(Some of the darks got kind of blown out in the ones with actual values in them, because I batch leveled everything in PS. :?)

Tonal Drawing, where we did not watch a movie about balls-
Tonal_1.jpg

Head Lay-Ins-
HeadLayIns_1.jpg
HeadLayIns_2.jpg
HeadLayIns_3.jpg

Head Drawing-
HeadDrawing_1.jpg

Figure Invention, gesture/basic form studies from references-
FigInvention_1.jpg
FigInvention_2.jpg

Figure Lay-Ins-
FigLayIns_1.jpg
FigLayIns_2.jpg

Figure Drawing-
FigDrawing_1.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on

• LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FIRST, great now I have more people to envy for being in a art college.

It's nice to see you doing more physical art and not as much photoshop art as welllllll.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My favorites are the Heads, Figure Drawings, and Tonal Drawings. (Everything)

RubberAC on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Old man with glasses ones are just primo.

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man this is far beyong anything I feel capable of critiquing properly, however I do think if this is the kind of thing you'll be working on (and going on cakes work) it will do wonders to smooth out the rough edges on your art.

Mustang on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, I'm definitely trying to ditch my 'chainsaw sculpture'-type line quality...too much speedpainting and caffeine has made me develop some bad habits when it comes to polish. :?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    All this stuff looks pretty great! I'm excited to see how you improve as you've always been someone I saw as already having a hefty amount of skill. Good luck sir!

Shiboe on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is that only a 4 year institution, or can you get an MFA there? or can you just opt to sign up for classes and enroll for a 4 yr or graduate program?....

XAL on
    edited January 2009
    XAL wrote: »
    Is that only a 4 year institution, or can you get an MFA there? or can you just opt to sign up for classes and enroll for a 4 yr or graduate program?....

It's not a college, there aren't any degrees. You sign up for whatever classes you want by the quarter.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited January 2009
    I don't really remember cake showing much progress work more-so a lot of finished studies like how you had to do head lay ins

I would like to get a time estimate though, on the head drawings, and the head lay-ins, what would you say the time you where given per sketch, also I'm terrible at telling what mediums are used, it looks like you used pencil to draw it out then Charcoal to shade it in, was it that? UGHGHGHGHG so jealous.

edit: and it looks like charcoal to :<

Loomdun on
    splat
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2009
    So Ocelot is a life model?

bombardier on
    edited January 2009
    20 mins per pose for all the lay-ins- I am intentionally trying to go very slowly, other people get a lot more finished looking stuff in that time. Everything here is done with charcoal pencil (Conte 1710 B)- still trying to get used to these things.

EDIT:
    bombardier wrote: »

Wait, which...?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    These are looking pretty good Bacon. Remember to wear a sars mask when working with charcoal, or youll be spittin up black. Also you have pretty hard form shadows on things which have soft curves. Soften those up and think about the surface. A quickly turning form has a sharper edge then a slower turning form. Also your reflected light is too light. dont erase it down white, just a bit is fine.

Your geos are great. Need some more anatomy study to really get a good idea of the right shapes for the job.

edit: these are just studies, so i suggest do not waste time getting something close to finish or make that your goal. You should practice drawing very light wireframes around the muscles. That is a much better use of these poses.

PROX on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    20 mins per pose for all the lay-ins- I am intentionally trying to go very slowly, other people get a lot more finished looking stuff in that time. Everything here is done with charcoal pencil (Conte 1710 B)- still trying to get used to these things.

EDIT:
    bombardier wrote: »

Wait, which...?

LIQUID!

PROX on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow, this is already off to a strong start!

Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Godfather on
    edited January 2009
    god I am such a leech when I really want to know stuff. But thank you for telling me.

I agree with prox though KIND OF, You definitely understand what your seeing and can obviously observe well, I'm trying to get out of the mode of thinking like a checklist, but it seems like what its basically coming down to now is understanding the subtle changing tones in things now and how long it takes for you to apply and observe it if you have to go slow then that's fine speed comes over time obviously.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you're toughest angle currently I'm assuming is 30-65 degree angle heads, there are a few with over-placed skin where your mind is trying to flatten out the image where its suppose to not to. You might want to practice a little bit with either left/right facing in that way, you have a good eye though head on and side view though. But i'm just a crazy head, doo dee doo.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man I envy you. This is beyond me to critique, so I'll just say what you've got so far is good and I'm looking forwards to seeing more. :)

Flay on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Woo finally a thread. Nice work Bacon, I can name every model with one exception, and I am fairly certain she must be new. Honestly your work is a lot stronger than I anticipated, and you will definitely be moving into some pretty fun stuff soon. A large part of pushing forward is just going to be developing confidence and a better eye for subtle transitions in form.

A real strong start and I can't wait to see all of the progress.

Loom I didn't post much progress in my own work because I didn't even start the thread until after I had been here for awhile. But somewhere on one of the later pages in my thread you can find some of my work from when I started, it is incredibly rocky.

Geez, I need to update my own thread someday...though I haven't done much new work.

Oh yeah, and hopefully you can come by tomorrow between the afternoon and evening classes. We will either grill up burgers again or all chip in for pizza or something. And you can see giganto Franklin!

rts on
    edited January 2009
    I'll be there, man. :D
    RIGGING IS DONE MY GOD I FEEL SO FREE I CAN ACTUALLY DO THINGS AGAIN

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I enjoy these atelier related threads.

Ill be attendeing the LAAFA summer quater.
    If you guys feel like it could you describe the teachers teaching style at watts? Do they just sorta let you do your thing for a while then come up, offer one or two lines of advice and walk on. More of a hands on take your pencil from you and show you what your doing wrong? I know it varies from teacher to teacher. Im just curious.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited January 2009

If you guys feel like it could you describe the teachers teaching style at watts? Do they just sorta let you do your thing for a while then come up, offer one or two lines of advice and walk on. More of a hands on take your pencil from you and show you what your doing wrong? I know it varies from teacher to teacher. Im just curious.

It actually does not vary from teacher to teacher because Jeff doesn't really allow it to. It is always hands-on. Though they use a lot of tracing paper to go over your drawing. It used to be even more so, but now they will actually work directly on the drawing a bit.

Thats cool that you are going to check out LAAFA, though I would probably recommend the California Art Institute over LAAFA. When you talk about California Art Institute, you are talking about a place that gave birth to guys like Glen Orbik, Jeff Watts, Ryan Wurmser, Jeremy Lipking, and Morgan Weistling. These aren't just great artists, these the artists today. I know Glen Orbik really sticks closely to the teaching style of Fred Fixler as well.

rts on
  • E.M. GistE.M. Gist Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have seen you do most of this in class, but seeing it all in one place is impressive. Great work, I look forward to seeing your progress.

E.M. Gist on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for your great blog, Mr. Gist. It's been a pretty big help to me recently.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Unless the extended family I have living in LA refuses to put me up for those 10 weeks, its too good of a deal. Some pretty impressive name at LAAFA as well.

edit: To keep from Thread jacking

Bacon, its been almost 24 hours? Wheres the next dump?

Kendeathwalker on
    edited January 2009
    Hey Bacon, since you are done rigging now or whatever, you are welcome to come hangout anytime. I have a lot of stuff I need to work on so we could get like a little sketchgroup going or something perhaps. Though I still have a bunch of these football things to do but I should be finished on Friday.

rts on
    edited January 2009
    cakemikz is so ronery

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited February 2009
    Update:

Head Drawing/Lay-ins:
    HeadDrawing_2.jpg

Figure Invention- (I know I'm defaulting to cartoon action/style and not getting my proportions right on these, I need to watch that):
    FigInvention_3.jpg

Figure Drawing and faceted model head copy:
    FigDrawing_3.jpg

Figure Lay-ins:
    FigDrawing_2.jpg

Figure lay-ins from ref:
    FigCopies_1.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited February 2009
    Not sure I can tell you much, but some of these appear skewed- the first two on the top row and the first one on the second row. The values on the lady sitting with her back facing the viewer are a bit crazy- I don't know exactly how to put it.

I expect Cake can give you better advice, but I'd also say that your drawing has improved considerably. :^:

Tam on
    edited February 2009
    When tam sais the values are a bit crazy, it is most likely that you vary the lighting to sharply. It slants in darkness far to fast and should have a bit more in between. Same goes for the sitting women above it. The one with the smoothest transition applied on to it is your very last portrait drawing with the messy hair middle aged looking man.

waepoitjwaoitjwaitj Asides that your turning into a little ol' cakemikz.

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited February 2009
    Yeah there we go, that's what I meant. Also, that one just seems much more messy than everything else.

Tam on
    edited February 2009
    Nice work chief. I don't really feel the need to critique your work here that much, since I am raggin on you in class all the time now.

But we usually call the 'faceted model head' the 'asaro head'

rts on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That old lady seems to have a nice bum. There clearly must be some sort of rendering mistake here.

Nice drawings all around though, everything looks great.

earthwormadam on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's interesting how even in this short time, I can see the Watts style developing in your portraits.

Those lay/block-ins are also lookin' pretty good! The torsos seem a biiiit long in a couple of 'em, and the feet seem just a hair too small.

Man, you guys are all makin' me excited about figures. I am totally going to draw some on Friday! Woo

NightDragon on
  • ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Stick with LAAFA man, much better program than california art institute and much more diverse. Although if you can hit up a class with ryan wurmser over there, do it. CAI relies on its reputation of 15-20 years ago, its not the same..

Shizumaru on
    edited February 2009
    Opinions.

rts on
  • ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Opinions.

I'll know you'll disagree with me dude and thats cool.. I'd say a lot of things about watts you'd highly disagree with as well.. no worries. All I can say is that I've been in and out of several schools, so I'm not really talking from lack of experience...

Shizumaru on
    edited March 2009
    Big update featuring some really slipshod photography-included the stuff around the pad so it's more obvious if things are appearing skewed because of bad drawing or bad photos. (spoilered for HUEG):

Two-tone practice from photos:
    2Tone_1.jpg

2-5 minute quick sketches from model
    QuickSketch_1.jpg

Figure lay-ins
    FigLayIns_3.jpg

Head lay-ins+ longer head drawings
    A lot of these are terrible...need more work on women's faces and staying away from tone for longer I think.
    HeadDrawing_3.jpg

Figure drawings, 2-3 hours
    Ignore the one where a dude's head blocked my view
    FigDrawing_4.jpg

Sketches from Muybridge and other photos
    FigCopies_2.jpg

Figure Invention
    Row 1- anatomy from photo
    Row 2- 'push the pose' exercise from model
    Row 3- quick anatomy studies, mirrored poses, and 'draw the model from a different position than the one you are seeing' exercises from model
    Row 4- Made up figures with drapery (Lucas' drawover included because it's pretty awesome)
    FigInvention_4.jpg

I need to get a lot better at discretion in my linework- too uncontrolled lines, too many lines, too heavy of lines, not enough variety in line quality. Feel ham-handed.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited March 2009
    AAAAAAAH WHY SPOILERS!!!

Loomdun on
    splat
  • TheTeaSoapShopTheTeaSoapShop Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    These are amazing
    do you ever get to play with the conte crayons? That way there would be slight coloration hints and it would help with highlights maybe.
    but these are truely wonderful, the detail is beautiful.

TheTeaSoapShop on
    “The human race has only one really effective weapon and that is laughter.”
    -Mark Twain
    :lol:
    hatbannersized-2.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Thanks :) - I might try colored crayons sometime in the future, but considering how much I need to erase at this point, I'd rather hold off until I get a bit more control. I'd probably just end up making a mess. Plus, I still haven't been able to fully wrap my head around these charcoal conte pencils we use in class yet, need to make that a priority.

And because BWA HA HA HA, loom.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited March 2009
    bleh I looked at them anyways, you have been getting better with making the tones less sharp and more smoother

Edit correction: Durrrrr the opposite of smoother

Loomdun on
    splat