As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TV on DVD: Recommendations

• Options
    Fun With MetricsFun With Metrics Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Definitely seconding Deadwood, probably my favorite show ( slightly edging out the wire). I'd also recommend the first season or two of Homicide : Life on the Streets.
    Supernatural is surprisingly great, and is definitely something to look into.

If you're looking for more Planet Earth type shows, Blue Planet : Seas of Life is fantastic as well as David Attenborough's Life series of documentaries ( Life of Birds, Life in the Undergrowth, Life in Cold Blood, etc.)

Fun With Metrics on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    I'm surprised you never went past season 3 of Buffy. If it helps at all, Nathan Fillion appears in the last season. :P

I watched up through season five, just haven't gotten around to the last two seasons. I have a reason to now, though.

Season six gets really, really fucking terrible. But it's worth sticking through to the end as season seven gets really damn good again.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you like mystery at all, try and get your hands on Johnathan Creek. It's a very well done Sherlock Holmes/Columbo-ish mystery show, with the main character being a magician. My roommate used to put it on and as soon as he did I was all like "Well, so much for sleeping tonight." You can get three seasons on Amazon for pretty cheap, with the third just released last week.

Also, if you like British Comedies, watch The IT Crowd and Red Dwarf.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm a huge King of Queens fan. So I'd heartily recommend that.

Black Books: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0262150/ is also really funny.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Psych, for a little oddball humor, Burn Notice, for spy badasses. Eureka, because it's just awesome.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hour Drama:
    • Rome - violent and lots of nudity but the plot is fascinating
    • West Wing - watched in the fall, it really is good
    • Battlestar Galactica
    • Bones (half crime show half comedy, so maybe not "drama")
    • Big Love -
      A man who was kicked out of a polygamous compound built a life for himself and got a non-polygamous (but Mormon) wife. She thought she was dying and they end up taking a second wife in part to secure a loan so he can open his large hardware store. They get a third wife before the start of the show and much of the show is centered around skirting "respectable" Utah life and the psycho Compound
    90% of HBO shows are pretty damn solid.

1/2 hour comedies
    • Psych - zany
    • How I Met Your Mother - surprisingly good

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Earth 2

Hell yes. Although, IIRC you can just watch it instantly online via Netflix (if you have a Netflix account, which everyone should).
    Thirded on this, it was very good indeed.

Also on the Farscape DVD question: if you have a multiregion player, the UK / Australian versions can be had pretty cheaply these days and in full season boxsets.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Hour Drama:
    • Battlestar Galactica
    • Big Love -
      A man who was kicked out of a polygamous compound built a life for himself and got a non-polygamous (but Mormon) wife. She thought she was dying and they end up taking a second wife in part to secure a loan so he can open his large hardware store. They get a third wife before the start of the show and much of the show is centered around skirting "respectable" Utah life and the psycho Compound

1/2 hour comedies
    • Psych - zany

Psych's an hour, but word.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Pretender.

Came out mid-late 90s. It's about a supergenius that basically grew up in a lab. He escapes and hijinx commence to happening. The hook is that he can basically pretend to be anything. Surgeon, pilot, lawyer etc etc.

Show was before it's time. Nowadays with the huge over-arcing plots of so many shows, it would fit right in, but back then people were more used to a story per episode regimen.
    They also have all episodes available on Hulu I think. I used to love that show.
    Feral wrote: »
    Coupling (BBC) - Described as the "British Friends." Only smarter. And funnier. And sexier.
    Coupling is awesome. Unfortunately it kind of loses it after the 3rd season when Jeff leaves. Before that, it is hilarious. Jeff is basically my favorite character from any show.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've been netflixing the first season of Gilmore Girls. I plan to continue with the rest of the seasons, because the show is excellent.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Trailer Park Boys is an acquired taste. If it's your kind of humour, it's extremely rewarding.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'm gonna third Avatar.
    And expand a little on what Qingu said.

Avatar, unlike a lot of anime, isn't trying to keep pace with an ongoing manga with no ending. All three seasons were planned out ahead of time. So there is very little filler and what there is is still pretty good.

The first season starts a little slow, and kind of childish, but by about the 4th episode I was hooked.

Also Mark Hamil voices the villain.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Sold!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Sold!
    Though I should come clean.
    He probably has more lines in the last two episodes than in the entire rest of the show. He doesn't feature terribly much until the showdown other than a few flashbacks and the occasional glimpse into the throne room kind of stuff.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Hour Drama:
    • Battlestar Galactica
    • Big Love -

1/2 hour comedies
    • Psych - zany

Psych is an hour long show.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    MilkyKaffeMilkyKaffe Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    If you're into scifi, Stargate SG-1 is pretty good, has ups and downs but for a 10 season show, pretty decent. Battlestar Galactica is a must-watch as well.

MilkyKaffe on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In to shows with the addictive nature of a soap opera, but containing the production value of a Ridley Scott film?

Try HBO's Big Love and/or Rome.

EDIT: beat'd

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Sold!
    He probably has more lines in the last two episodes than in the entire rest of the show. He doesn't feature terribly much until the showdown other than a few flashbacks and the occasional glimpse into the throne room kind of stuff.
    It has other notable voice actors, though.

The not-so-hot girl from Arrested Development (Her?) plays the female lead.

And that demi-Asian dude from the Robin Williams Peter Pan movie (Rufio?) plays one of the other main characters.

Also, the late and great Mako voices an awesome Wise Old Man character (until the end of third season).

Qingu on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

Sold!

Is she funny or something?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm currently working through the first season of Dead Like Me on Netflix... it's pretty fantastic.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

Sold!

And that demi-Asian dude from the Robin Williams Peter Pan movie (Rufio?) plays one of the other main characters.

Also, the late and great Mako voices an awesome Wise Old Man character (until the end of third season).
    Oh wow. I didn't realize that was his voice. I thought they just did that as a tribute.
    And I'm impressed that I didn't notice the transition. Though there were some big gaps between the DVDs netflix sent.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    I'm currently working through the first season of Dead Like Me on Netflix... it's pretty fantastic.

The problem with that show is that it doesn't actually go anywhere as it was short lived

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Get Daria if...

No, when.

When it comes out.

:(

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

The problem with that show is that it doesn't actually go anywhere as it was short lived

I know. I can already see that. Still enjoyable though.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    WifflebatWifflebat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

It went about as far as it needed to in my opinion. Once Fuller checked out, it got so dark that I'm glad it stopped, otherwise who knows what may have happened.

Wifflebat on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wifflebat wrote: »

It went about as far as it needed to in my opinion. Once Fuller checked out, it got so dark that I'm glad it stopped, otherwise who knows what may have happened.

haha... spoiler alert? I just said I was working my way through the first season.

It's cool though... :)

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited January 2009

haha... spoiler alert? I just said I was working my way through the first season.

All the Reapers die!

Most just before the start of the show.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    SykusSykus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Carnivale is very good stuff, but sadly it ends somewhat abruptly. Still definitely worth checking out though.

Any reason you don't have the rest of Buffy after season 3? Have you seen it? If not, you must.

The Tudors is an excellent Showtime show about King Henry VIII. Dude was crazy! It's historical fiction at its finest, but that makes it sound boring, which it really isn't.

Dexter is awesome too. The protaganist is a serial killer.

Apologies if some of these have been mentioned, I haven't read through the whole thread.

Sykus on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd recommend The Sopranos, but the DVDs themselves were awful. Only 3 episodes per disc, terrible menus (you have to manually start each episode, they don't play in sequence), and if you put them in your computer they install some software rubbish.

TL DR on
  • Options
    SykusSykus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    I'm surprised you never went past season 3 of Buffy. If it helps at all, Nathan Fillion appears in the last season. :P

I watched up through season five, just haven't gotten around to the last two seasons. I have a reason to now, though.

Season six gets really, really fucking terrible. But it's worth sticking through to the end as season seven gets really damn good again.

Gotta disagree, here. Without giving too much away, "Once More With Feeling" is probably the single best episode of Buffy ever made. Season 6 is worth it just for that reason alone.

But even excepting that, I liked the dark turn everything took in season 6. It's good to see heroes battle inner demons every now and then.

Sykus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Sykus wrote: »
    But even excepting that, I liked the dark turn everything took in season 6. It's good to see heroes battle inner demons every now and then.

That was the entire show.

Season six was just useless emo. OMWF is truly great but even the next worst season (5) has at least a few great episodes (ep titles)
    The Body, The Gift
    and a solid overall plot and once 6 was over seven got right into it (ep title)
    Beneath you
    before getting the old groove back

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    WifflebatWifflebat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Fuller = Brian Fuller, the producer/writer/show-runner, not a character and I totally didn't give any specific details. You should pay attention though, see if you notice the changeover.

Wifflebat on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Fuller = Brian Fuller, the producer/writer/show-runner, not a character and I totally didn't give any specific details. You should pay attention though, see if you notice the changeover.

Ah, sorry. lol... I will let you know.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Pretender.

Came out mid-late 90s. It's about a supergenius that basically grew up in a lab. He escapes and hijinx commence to happening. The hook is that he can basically pretend to be anything. Surgeon, pilot, lawyer etc etc.

Show was before it's time. Nowadays with the huge over-arcing plots of so many shows, it would fit right in, but back then people were more used to a story per episode regimen.
    They also have all episodes available on Hulu I think. I used to love that show.
    Feral wrote: »
    Coupling (BBC) - Described as the "British Friends." Only smarter. And funnier. And sexier.
    Coupling is awesome. Unfortunately it kind of loses it after the 3rd season when Jeff leaves. Before that, it is hilarious. Jeff is basically my favorite character from any show.

I.... I love you.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I say The Big Bang Theory...because its hilarious.

big-bang-theory.jpg

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    I say The Big Bang Theory...because its hilarious.

big-bang-theory.jpg

Seconded. First, it's like a geek wetdream... second, it's found a really, really good groove now.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I agree with almost everything said here and have little to add other than:

American Gothic - The ever awesome Gary Cole is the sherriff of a rural american town and may/may not be supernaturally evil. He takes into his care young Caleb, and tries to mould him in his image.

Someone summarise this show better than me! If you like magnificent bastards, then Lucas Buck (Coles character) has to be up there in the top 10. The problem is that the DVD shows episodes out of order (long gone characters return unremarked upon in later disks etc) so you'd need an episode guide.

On a similar theme: Profit was a very short lived (cancelled) series way before its time starring Adrian Pasdar as a corrupt/blackmailing/extortionate/charming/incestuous/murderous businessman... and you root for him!
    It looks a little dated now, and is sometimes a tad on the nose, but is an early example of what now tonally what might now be considered 'Buffy-esque' rather than 'Dexter' which my summary makes it sound more like.

Is Day Break out on DVD yet, i didnt realise?? I caught one episode late in the run as i didnt think it sounded very good premise wise, but I was insomniac and gave it a try and was blown away.

No one will agree with me on this but: Dharma and Greg and Caroline in the City are fairly likeable cheesy sitcoms. Things like the IT Crowd, Coupling and Spaced however, are bloody amazing.

Also Brit com wise: Green Wing is pretty good depending on your tolerance level for sperm filled lockets et al.

Lacroix on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I said Big Bang to. the picture however says it far b etter than my words.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Get the last season of Angel. Now, throw away all the discs that do not have the puppet episode on them.

That's pretty much all the Angel you'll ever need. Which isn't to say that the first 2 seasons weren't good, they were quite good, but after that it was kind of a downward spiral. It sucks, because I felt like they set up an entire storyline that they essentially abandoned in favor of this ever darkening crap with Angel and his son and whatnot. To be completely fair, though, After the Fall is a great comic that actually redeems a lot of the aforementioned spiral of the 2nd half of the show.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Get the last season of Angel. Now, throw away all the discs that do not have the puppet episode on them.

That's pretty much all the Angel you'll ever need. Which isn't to say that the first 2 seasons weren't good, they were quite good, but after that it was kind of a downward spiral. It sucks, because I felt like they set up an entire storyline that they essentially abandoned in favor of this ever darkening crap with Angel and his son and whatnot. To be completely fair, though, After the Fall is a great comic that actually redeems a lot of the aforementioned spiral of the 2nd half of the show.

This man is wrong. Ignore him.

shryke on