As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TV on DVD: Recommendations

124»

• PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Zampano wrote: »
    And Malkor, I feel your pain. I want Daria on DVD but thanks to music licensing it will probably never happen. Same with The Wonder Years.
    That's also what happened to Mission Hill. The DVDs were released too long after the show was made and they couldn't afford to get the licenses back, so they had to replace all the great music in the show with generic stock stuff, even the theme song, which was an instrumental of Cake's "Italian Leather Sofa". It sucks a lot of soul out of one of the funniest and most heartfelt cartoons ever made.

Oh...oh god. The Kevin Birthday episode must be absolutely ruined.

What a shame. I've almost picked up that set so many times.

Everything Oakley & Weinstein touch is pure gold though.
    I hear ya brother. People whine about Futurama getting canceled before its time but the truth is that they had something like an 80 episode run filled with gems, and a finale that pretty effectively closes out the series. But then you throw something like Mission Hill out there which got all of 13 episodes with no closure whatsoever and it puts that in perspective.

What's worse is that Oakley and Weinstein had a 10 year story arc planned, which tracked Andy as he moves from one job to another while becoming a more and more accomplished cartoonist, until he ends up a Matt Groening level.

I loved Mission Hill but I think asking for 10 years is a bit much to ask of any network.
    Or was it really like 3 seasons made to be 10 years?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dunno. Three seasons seems a bit short for that kind of storytelling.

10 years is overambitious but the point is that the writers had a good story to tell and just from the 13 episodes we already have, they could have done a kickass job telling it. But we'll never know, and even the original episodes have been compromised by licensing, such that the only way to see them as they were originally composed is on Adult Swim.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Oblongs was another good show cancelled before its time.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And Malkor, I feel your pain. I want Daria on DVD but thanks to music licensing it will probably never happen. Same with The Wonder Years.
    That's also what happened to Mission Hill. The DVDs were released too long after the show was made and they couldn't afford to get the licenses back, so they had to replace all the great music in the show with generic stock stuff, even the theme song, which was an instrumental of Cake's "Italian Leather Sofa". It sucks a lot of soul out of one of the funniest and most heartfelt cartoons ever made.

Oh...oh god. The Kevin Birthday episode must be absolutely ruined.

What a shame. I've almost picked up that set so many times.

Everything Oakley & Weinstein touch is pure gold though.
    I hear ya brother. People whine about Futurama getting canceled before its time but the truth is that they had something like an 80 episode run filled with gems, and a finale that pretty effectively closes out the series. But then you throw something like Mission Hill out there which got all of 13 episodes with no closure whatsoever and it puts that in perspective.

What's worse is that Oakley and Weinstein had a 10 year story arc planned, which tracked Andy as he moves from one job to another while becoming a more and more accomplished cartoonist, until he ends up a Matt Groening level.

Adult Swim should pick them up. If they can bankroll something like The Venture I don't see why they couldn't do the same with Mission Hill.

Well, a man can dream anyway.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited January 2009
    Eh. I don't think the Oblongs hold up as well as Mission Hill or Futurama. Most of the gags are sort of one trick ponies. And given that Adult Swim has played all three on a constant basis for the past five years, one can get a pretty good idea of what sticks and what doesn't.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    While we're on the AS side of things I bought all the Home Movies DVDs, great show with great extras and commentary. Though I think everything Brendan Small touches is gold, and H. Jon Benjamin is the icing on the cake

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I searched the thread and found no mention, so here goes:

Most of the BBC television series are fantastic.

Doctor Who
    Torchwood
    Robin Hood
    MI-6

These are the ones I have seen and I love them dearly. The only bad part is that they are exorbitantly expensive.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Curse you internet! Why can't you tell me about new shows? I have seen pretty much everything in this thread with the exceptions of:

Prison Break
    Uk Office
    Last Airbender
    The Sheild

Good and Bad that weren't in your list from the OP:

Good:
    Rome
    How I met your mother
    Carnivale (still worth watching even though they didn't make it past season 2)
    Dead Like Me

Bad:
    Big Bang Theory
    Deadwood - not necessarily bad but it was rather meh from the first few episodes that I saw.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited January 2009
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    While we're on the AS side of things I bought all the Home Movies DVDs, great show with great extras and commentary. Though I think everything Brendan Small touches is gold, and H. Jon Benjamin is the icing on the cake
    I like Home Movies, but for some reason the commentary doesn't work for me. For starters it's very hard to differentiate Brandon Small from Loren Bouchard, so their commentary kind of runs together. Secondly, the commentary itself is not very cohesive. At least in the first season, they seem to ramble on a lot about stuff not related to the show and they play a lot of inside baseball, which kind of turns me off. And to add to that, it's not edited into the show very well. The commentary basically plays at the same volume as the episode track, to the point where it's almost unintelligable.

Now, that's only on the first season DVDs, so they might have improved in subsequent seasons, but I haven't cared to check them out.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »

Doctor Who
    Torchwood
    Robin Hood
    MI-6

These are the ones I have seen and I love them dearly. The only bad part is that they are exorbitantly expensive.

Eh... I wouldn't rate Torchwood as "fantastic" though I definately don't think it's as terrible as a lot of people.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I've got the DVD set and the intro seems the same to me. The rest is different though.

It's still really great and worth picking up.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Doctor Who
    Torchwood
    Robin Hood
    MI-6

Eh... I wouldn't rate Torchwood as "fantastic" though I definately don't think it's as terrible as a lot of people.

Weird. I started watching it after Doctor Who Season 2 and I always really enjoyed it. It reminded me of a more mature, British take on the X-Files. I can see why a lot of Doctor Who fans may not enjoy it, but I always considered them on their separate merits.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't wait for Six Feet Under to show up. I'm looking forward to a new show, I got run down on West Wing after 3 and a half seasons in a month.

I do have it's always sunny but that's not quite the same as a drama.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    I can't wait for Six Feet Under to show up. I'm looking forward to a new show, I got run down on West Wing after 3 and a half seasons in a month.

I do have it's always sunny but that's not quite the same as a drama.

I dunno. I loved Six Feet Under for about half of the first season, and then I just got bored of it. It's not like the second half of season 1 was worse than the first half, I just couldn't be bothered to sit through it.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I enjoyed Six Feet Under. The premier episode's introductory scene is absolutely masterful.

TL DR on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Doctor Who
    Torchwood
    Robin Hood
    MI-6

I was wondering if someone would mention Robin Hood. I saw it at the Virgin Megastore once, picked up the box and it looked totally fucking sweet, but it was wicked expensive so I held back. Forgot to ever follow up.

UnbreakableVow on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fleck0 wrote: »

Home Movies rules.
    I even check out the Science Court shit whenever I see that on simply because I love the cast.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • LacroixLacroix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Weird. I started watching it after Doctor Who Season 2 and I always really enjoyed it. It reminded me of a more mature, British take on the X-Files. I can see why a lot of Doctor Who fans may not enjoy it, but I always considered them on their separate merits.

Whoa Whoa Whoa.... how are we understanding the word 'mature' here? 'Cause I like Towrchwood but would never use that word to describe it!

Lacroix on
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    6 pages and no mention of Black Adder?
    For shame!

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just want to put this out there if you're worried about cost. Netflix has a lot of these TV series available, and you get an entire season at once. It's a lot cheaper than buying DVDs, as long as you're not a pack-rat. The little lady and I just signed up and it's pretty awesome.

//Not a shill, I swear.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, you can get an entire season at once from Netflix? Or is that just on a multidisc plan.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • SykusSykus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Did you pick up on
    the fact that Willow was addicted to magic? Like a drug? Because it was addicting? Like the time she went to the opium, I mean magic den? And almost killed Dawn because she was driving while high, I mean, infused with magic?

Yes. It was a mite hard not to. Like you said, it had all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. And yes, it was horrible and I was groaning the whole time. But there were a lot of other things going on that were still more than worth the time spent on them.
    Buffy's story arc that season (notwithstanding the Spike stuff, which personally I liked but I know some people didn't) was a really cool twist on an old idea. I loved the notion that even a fully "legit" resurrection (ie, the person isn't a zombie or anything) could still be terrible for them. The trio was amusing and the culmination of their story arc was a punch in the gut. Tara really hit her stride as a likable character (finally) in season 6. And I stand by what I said about "Once More With Feeling". The entirety of season 6 is worth watching just so the context is there for that one episode. It is absolutely classic, classic Buffy.

Sykus on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, you can get an entire season at once from Netflix? Or is that just on a multidisc plan.
    Well you can get a disc at a time OR you can stream it to your computer/360/other media device

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sykus wrote: »

Did you pick up on
    the fact that Willow was addicted to magic? Like a drug? Because it was addicting? Like the time she went to the opium, I mean magic den? And almost killed Dawn because she was driving while high, I mean, infused with magic?

Yes. It was a mite hard not to. Like you said, it had all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. And yes, it was horrible and I was groaning the whole time. But there were a lot of other things going on that were still more than worth the time spent on them.
    Buffy's story arc that season (notwithstanding the Spike stuff, which personally I liked but I know some people didn't) was a really cool twist on an old idea. I loved the notion that even a fully "legit" resurrection (ie, the person isn't a zombie or anything) could still be terrible for them. The trio was amusing and the culmination of their story arc was a punch in the gut. Tara really hit her stride as a likable character (finally) in season 6. And I stand by what I said about "Once More With Feeling". The entirety of season 6 is worth watching just so the context is there for that one episode. It is absolutely classic, classic Buffy.

Buffy spoilers
    The problem was that it wasn't original. They had already done it over and over. Once was enough and by the time Season 6 came around it had been done to death, had made Buffy the least likable character and was dragging the show down.

The same Buffy is sad and isolated boo-who arc was done:
    Season 1-2 Buffy is a slayer but fuck it she's going to live her life too.
    Season 3 - Anne episode through Faith's arrival crybaby, best overall season IMO
    Season 4 - The Freshman through like Beer Bad disaffected college student blah blah, more Buffy-centric
    Season 5 it has become Buffy's default state with Dawn being the Key, The Body, Riley getting sucked off.
    Season 6 wasn't some twist, it was more moping.
    Season 7 - Buffy was kind of annoying but at least she was doing less whining and the desire to actually drive a plot and explore new characters blunted what whining there was.

The show was at its best when it was Scoobie ensemble centered and at its worst when it was Buffy being emo.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Well you can get a disc at a time OR you can stream it to your computer/360/other media device
    Well, you can stream some of the shows. Most of the new stuff isn't available online. Like Avatar. Or Dexter. Or House.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Buffy spoilers
    The problem was that it wasn't original. They had already done it over and over. Once was enough and by the time Season 6 came around it had been done to death, had made Buffy the least likable character and was dragging the show down.

The same Buffy is sad and isolated boo-who arc was done:
    Season 1-2 Buffy is a slayer but fuck it she's going to live her life too.
    Season 3 - Anne episode through Faith's arrival crybaby, best overall season IMO
    Season 4 - The Freshman through like Beer Bad disaffected college student blah blah, more Buffy-centric
    Season 5 it has become Buffy's default state with Dawn being the Key, The Body, Riley getting sucked off.
    Season 6 wasn't some twist, it was more moping.
    Season 7 - Buffy was kind of annoying but at least she was doing less whining and the desire to actually drive a plot and explore new characters blunted what whining there was.

The show was at its best when it was Scoobie ensemble centered and at its worst when it was Buffy being emo.

What is this? Buffy can't have spoilers. There wasn't enough that actually happened in that show to spoil.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Adding to the BSG, Rome, and Deadwood love. Deadwood was yet another show that was forced to end before it was due, but they managed to wrap up the Season 3 plotline pretty well. It was just sad because Ian McShane's portrayal of Al Swearengen was probably one of my favorite characters in anything, ever.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    To keep echoing this awesome show

"There are two kinds of people in the world: those who love The Wire and those who haven't seen it. Yet."

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    To the person who mentioned Black Adder, I don't own it, but I have it on extended borrow. Like, it's been a year now. Marvelous show. My old avatar was Rowan Atkinson from Black Adder I.

Anyways, stopped at Wal-Mart after work, and picked up Burn Notice. Can't wait to start on it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Doctor Who
    Torchwood
    Robin Hood
    MI-6

Torchwood is generally decent, with a few good-to-very good episodes thrown in. It's probably a very hit and miss kind of thing with most people. As someone said, kind of a British X Files, which can be a good thing, but also, at times, a very bad thing.

The BBC Robin Hood series, on the other hand, is really, really bad. Sorry.

I think the new Doctor Who is excellent, but I'd hesitate to recommend it to people. It's something of an acquired taste for most, and the dvd's are still on the pricy side.

Since Who/BBC was brought up, if anyone watched the '08 Christmas Special and want more Tennant/Morrissey they should check out the mini series Blackpool. So should the OP, it's very good and should be cheap.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    woooo I'm rewatching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and really enjoying it. I watched the first 2 seasons some time ago and didn't like it much but I was never sure why.

I'm finishing the first season now and can't imagine what my issue was. Absolutely hilarious.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't believe I forgot about Chuck.

Hylianbunny on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    woooo I'm rewatching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia and really enjoying it. I watched the first 2 seasons some time ago and didn't like it much but I was never sure why.

I'm finishing the first season now and can't imagine what my issue was. Absolutely hilarious.

My brother bought the series a few weeks ago and I watched a few with him before he went back to school, and it's easily one of the funniest shows out there right now.

Invisible on