As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] will always be [chat]!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2009
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    If searching for torrents is illegal, then so is Google. TPB doesn't host any infringing material on its servers.
    They do run several trackers however. It's a legal grey area.

Google is essentially a tracker.

Echo on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    Really quick- this is not homework, I'm graduated from college- if someone could help me find where to convert a probability from decimal form to "one in _____" form, I'd really appreciate it.

The probability is 0.000039837152942224. I need that converted. (Don't even ask why.)

How exact do you need it? 1 in 10^18/(3983715294224) plus simplification (divide both numerator and denominator by four to start) is as good as u can get, exact, I think.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Gooey wrote: »
    Have the bands that released albums for free (or rather, donation optional) released any information on how well they did? I know Radiohead did it with In Rainbows and Nine Inch Nails did it on a recent album.

Radiohead released their album as a "pay if you want" kinda thing. I believe they said like 72% or something donated something, whether it be 1 penny or 100 dollars. I don't remember.

I wonder if Wiki has the details.

Edit: Wiki says they didn't release the sales figures, but had 1.2 million downloads. I'm almost positive I read the figures somewhere though.

JustinSane07 on
    edited January 2009
    Ghosts I-IV by NiN was the most sold album on Amazon.

And you can download it for free straight from NiN.com!

Echo on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What is the best place to get Nerf guns? My friends and I wanna try to get some guns to, well, shoot each other with. I remember back when I was a kid there were tons of awesome guns, but they don't manufacture any of them anymore.

Also, what are some awesome games to play with Nerf guns?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Well trackers are a little bit different then indexing of torrents, or even hosting them. Since they directly are what people connect to, to find other users. Even then I couldn't see this being illegal.

DeShadowC on
    edited January 2009
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Well trackers are a little bit different then indexing of torrents, or even hosting them. Since they directly are what people connect to, to find other users. Even then I couldn't see this being illegal.

Even linking to a site that links to infringing material can get you sued. So that doesn't let Google get away with their infringing links.

Echo on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In early October 2007, a spokesman for the band reported that "most people [paid] a normal retail price with very few trying to buy [the download version] for a penny" and that most fans had preordered the discbox.[50] Citing a source close to the band, Gigwise.com reported that by the day of its online release, the album had sold 1.2 million copies.[51] The claim, however, has been dismissed by band manager Bryce Edge as "exaggerated".[52] According to an Internet survey conducted by Record of the Day of 3,000 people, about one-third of people who downloaded the album paid nothing, with the average price paid being £4.[53] When asked in a December 2007 interview by The Observer how many discboxes were ordered, the band members responded with various answers ranging between 60,000 and 80,000.[20] In October 2008, a report from Warner Chappell revealed that although most people paid nothing for the download, pre-release sales were more profitable than the total money from sales of Hail to the Thief. The report also stated that the discbox sold 100,000 copies.[54]

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If searching for torrents is illegal, then so is Google. TPB doesn't host any infringing material on its servers.
    They do run several trackers however. It's a legal grey area.

Google is essentially a tracker.
    Oh, I know that. I was referring to this portion of the protocol.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited January 2009

Even linking to a site that links to infringing material can get you sued. So that doesn't let Google get away with their infringing links.

Well heck I could sue you for being mean to me. Civil suits don't bother me as much as criminal ones though.

DeShadowC on
    edited January 2009
    Did you dig that out of a change history, Gooey? It's not on their page now.

JustinSane07 on
    edited January 2009
    Oh, I know that. I was referring to this portion of the protocol.

I don't see that as much different from the <A> tag in the HTML protocol that lets you link to infringing material. Technology neutrality in lawmaking, and all that.

Echo on
    edited January 2009
    Well heck I could sue you for being mean to me. Civil suits don't bother me as much as criminal ones though.

Don't worry; the music mafia is working on making copyright infringement criminal cases. So they can make the state pay for the prosecution instead.

Echo on
    edited January 2009
    Did you dig that out of a change history, Gooey? It's not on their page now.

No. It was on the In Rainbows page, in the Distribution section.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I paid full price for In Rainbows. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Really quick- this is not homework, I'm graduated from college- if someone could help me find where to convert a probability from decimal form to "one in _____" form, I'd really appreciate it.

The probability is 0.000039837152942224. I need that converted. (Don't even ask why.)

How exact do you need it? 1 in 10^18/(3983715294224) plus simplification (divide both numerator and denominator by four to start) is as good as u can get, exact, I think.

thats not right.

basically what you can do is say that the probability of the opposite is about 99.99996 that is a probability less than 1 in a million (99.9999) in this case its actually 4 in 10 million or 1 in 2.5 million. so those 9999996 good ones + 4 bad gives you 10 million.

Dunadan019 on
    edited January 2009

What's full price?

For me it was $10

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's just converting a decimal to a fraction, so write it the 1/x, way. It won't make it any clearer.
    Thanks.

Okay. Work has this 'safety bingo' thing starting in a few days. Every day we're accident free, we draw a number, and if it goes up on the board, it goes up. The object is to get a bingo in one month. The top prize- a steak cookout- comes from getting four bingos in four consecutive months.

There are 99 balls in the hopper, which, accounting for the free space, creates a .242424242424... chance of any given draw resulting in a 'hit', or usable number.

February, with 28 days, will likely result in 7 hits.

There are 16,777,215 possible ways to fill a bingo card, from blank to blackout. 346,104 of these use exactly 7 hits. Of those 346,104, 5,928 will result in a bingo. That's a 1.7128% chance of February getting a bingo, and this assumes perfect safety.

Assuming that there are 8 hits, 735,471 combos give exactly that amount, 27,102 of which surrender a bingo, a 3.685% chance. (It takes 14 hits to have a 50% shot at a bingo- 59.8912%, to be exact.)

February has 28 days, we'll call that 7 hits.
    March has 31 days- we'll say 8 hits.
    April, 30 days, we'll say 7 hits.
    May has 31 days, so that'll be 8 hits.

The calculation is .017128 * .03685 * .017128 * .03685.

CHANCE OF ONE BINGO: 1.7128%.
    CHANCE OF TWO STRAIGHT BINGOS: 0.06311668%.
    CHANCE OF THREE STRAIGHT BINGOS: 0.00108106249504%.
    CHANCE OF GETTING THE STEAK COOKOUT: 0.000039837152942224%

That's one steak in 2,510,220 months. If we're perfectly safe for 209,185 years, odds are we'll get one steak.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited January 2009
    Gosling your boss is going to hate you.

DeShadowC on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    it's not like anyone thinks the odds are that good already. I just have the math to back it up now.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited January 2009

What's full price?

For me it was $10
    Yup, same.

Zilla360 on
    edited January 2009
    it's not like anyone thinks the odds are that good already. I just have the math to back it up now.

I'm sticking with my statement. :)

DeShadowC on
    edited January 2009

stop asking questions that you go and figure out yourself!

Dunadan019 on
    edited January 2009
    So I just saw my coworker out. :(

It will suck not having someone around that I've known for over 2 years now

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I waited for In Rainbows to come out and bought it on a CD with those "make your own jewelcase" stickers and all that.

James on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey I have an algorithms class for which I have to justify a particular analysis of insertion sort. I've already composed a solution, but i'm not sure how well it reads. Anyone willing to read it and tell me if it's incoherent rambling or wondrously elegant prose?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited January 2009
    Hey I have an algorithms class for which I have to justify a particular analysis of insertion sort. I've already composed a solution, but i'm not sure how well it reads. Anyone willing to read it and tell me if it's incoherent rambling or wondrously elegant prose?

thats comp sci stuff right? if i read comp sci stuff, my eyeballs pop out of their sockets

Dunadan019 on
    edited January 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

thats comp sci stuff right? if i read comp sci stuff, my eyeballs pop out of their sockets

Yes. And I do not wish to be responsible for popped eyeballs!

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I just saw my coworker out. :(

It will suck not having someone around that I've known for over 2 years now

That sucks...

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That Weekly!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009
    Yeah what is up with that thread?

James on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    it's rare you see a poster who not only makes the mistake of assuming tycho and gabe read the forums, but makes the mistake of assuming the entirety of the forums is just a place for talking directly to tycho and / or gabe

MikeMan on
    edited January 2009
    whats up with [chat]? it's moving slower than a baby swimming in molasses

Dunadan019 on
    edited January 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »
    it's rare you see a poster who not only makes the mistake of assuming tycho and gabe read the forums, but makes the mistake of assuming the entirety of the forums is just a place for talking directly to tycho and / or gabe

We have a silly bugger in the WoW guild that assumes that everything written in guild chat or the guild forums is directed directly at him.

Yeah, he won't be around much longer.

Echo on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Which one of you twits got me sick?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    whats up with [chat]? it's moving slower than a baby swimming in molasses

Yeah, I typically have trouble keeping up with it after lunch cause it moves so quickly...I usually just lurk. But today it's crawling. Kind of refreshing actually. :P

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    Gosling, you should e-mail that math around to your fellow employees.

Ruin their fun.

JustinSane07 on
    edited January 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »

We have a silly bugger in the WoW guild that assumes that everything written in guild chat or the guild forums is directed directly at him.

Yeah, he won't be around much longer.

hahaha

James on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, why am I watching Fox News?

deadonthestreet on
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Which one of you twits got me sick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbyolX-ck1k

Also, haircut!

hairmeci4.jpg

Yes, that's a picture of Our Lord and Savior behind me. It's actually a puzzle my grandmother did and framed. She's huge into puzzles, but as for Jesus... It's still her house, and she's still alive, so I can't move it. I'd feel weird moving it anyway. It doesn't matter who it is in the picture, it's still hers.

hairme2nn2.jpg

But that Black and white poster behind me is totally [strike]Lenin[/strike] Lennon.

JamesKeenan on
This discussion has been closed.