As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First 100 Days: Day 19 - Legal Conference. Without blackjack nor hookers.

monikermoniker Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
And so it begins. What will be the first items accomplished? How good will they be or how much will they suck? Will bipartisanship actually occur or will logjams get broken by sheer force of will? When will Harry Reid buckle under and capitulate? And who will he capitulate to? What's going to happen in the Middle East? How many times will the talking heads talk about the historic nature of the first black President signing a bill into law, and the first black President vetoing a bill, and the first black President using a pocket veto, and the first black President having a ceremony on the south lawn, and the first black President to host a state dinner, and the first black President to raid the white house ice cream stash....

29whitehouse_600.jpg
Let's do this thing.

Politifact: List of campaign promises and their status.
Wikipedia Article on the time line of the administration.

Accomplishments thus far:
Executive Orders-
Legislation Signed into Law-
Legislation Vetoed-
  • None.

Regulations:

moniker on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pair Act sounds great. Glad he signed it!

urahonky on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Am I the only one who kind of hopes Palin flips out and throws a shoe at him at the Alfalfa Club?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Am I the only one who kind of hopes Palin flips out and throws a shoe at him at the Alfalfa Club?

Hey, those shoes cost the Republican party a bajillion dollars. They shouldn't be abused like that.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

She is the governor of a state. I'm pretty sure she's capable of getting an audience with the President if neccessary. :|

Well, at least now she needs to stand up when Obama comes into the room. You know, the same guy she hurled insults at during the entire election season.

Also...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfalfa_Club

How come the President of the United States attends a dinner where they celebrate an Confederate General? I mean, isn't that kind of like celebrating your enemy? I've never understood the whole Southern Pride stuff regarding the Civil War. I'm certainly not proud of my country's history of allying with Nazi Germany (didn't really have options if we wanted to stay independent...but still) so I don't understand why someone is proud of their states having fighted for the right to own slaves.

Dont want to CivilWar this thread, but it was much more than slavery.

I admit that I'm not an expert on the matter, but I'm pretty sure that was the biggest part of it. I mean, the Southern States were called "Slave States" and all.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

Now I am no law expert

But don't we already have like a billion of these laws already?

Is this really gonna do anything for women getting paid less than men or is it another one of those symbolic gesture things?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Politifact: List of campaign promises and their status.
    Wikipedia Article on the time line of the administration.

Accomplishments thus far:
    Executive Orders-
    Legislation Signed into Law-
    Legislation Vetoed-
    • None.

Looking at this list makes me very happy, but also kind of emphasizes how absolutely fucking retarded the last eight years were that some of this wasn't passed until now.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Now I am no law expert

Is this really gonna do anything for women getting paid less than men or is it another one of those symbolic gesture things?
    The Supreme Court ruled that the statute of limitations for noticing you're getting screwed and acting on it was based on the date of your first paycheck.

It basically made any sort of institutionalized pay discrimination impossible to litigate against.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Now I am no law expert

The Supreme Court ruled that the statute of limitations for noticing you're getting screwed and acting on it was based on the date of your first paycheck.

It basically made any sort of institutionalized pay discrimination impossible to litigate against.

C... can you put that into simpler terms?

Henroid on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

She is the governor of a state. I'm pretty sure she's capable of getting an audience with the President if neccessary. :|

Well, at least now she needs to stand up when Obama comes into the room. You know, the same guy she hurled insults at during the entire election season.

Also...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfalfa_Club

How come the President of the United States attends a dinner where they celebrate an Confederate General? I mean, isn't that kind of like celebrating your enemy? I've never understood the whole Southern Pride stuff regarding the Civil War. I'm certainly not proud of my country's history of allying with Nazi Germany (didn't really have options if we wanted to stay independent...but still) so I don't understand why someone is proud of their states having fighted for the right to own slaves.

Dont want to CivilWar this thread, but it was much more than slavery.

I admit that I'm not an expert on the matter, but I'm pretty sure that was the biggest part of it. I mean, the Southern States were called "Slave States" and all.

No, we are not discussing this here.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Politico wrote:

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Now I am no law expert

It's in response to the SCOTUS ruling on Ledbetter v Goodyear expanding the statute of limitations to your most recent paycheck rather than the first one you ever receive. Basically a response to the Roberts court punting it back to the Legislature rather than ruling with a more sane interpretation of the statute.

moniker on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The White House website, now with high-res photos:
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/images/winter_storm_signature.jpg

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Now I am no law expert

The Supreme Court interpreted the previous fair pay legislation to mean that unless you sued for the pay discrimination within 180 days of the first time you were paid less than your male counterparts, you couldn't sue to get back pay at all.

This legislation makes it explicitly clear that each subsequent paycheck that you're paid less starts the 180 day period where you can sue over again.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

Dear god, you can see the outline of the greek key in the Resolute desk.

moniker on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Politico wrote:

That was actually a really good article on effective communication. I think you might have stroked out and missed the point.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Now I am no law expert

Usetabe that once you got fucked over on pay because you were a woman/minority/etc the time you had to deal with it was set by the first paycheck.

Now, each new paycheck where you make less because of your sex/race/etc is considered a new infraction, so it resets the statute of limitations. So if you find out you've been screwed for three years, you can still get the back pay you're owed.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Politico wrote:
    NO

*WHACK*

YOU DON'T

*WHACK*

GET AN

*WHACK*

INTERVIEW

*WHACK*

BILL

*WHACK*

GO

*WHACK*

HOME

*STOMP*

OptimusZed on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I wonder if the work censor blocks that site...

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Politico wrote:

That was actually a really good article on effective communication. I think you might have stroked out and missed the point.
    To be fair, when I saw the article, my line was "And so the Messiah touched them, and so they felt shame".

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Now I am no law expert

Usetabe that once you got fucked over on pay because you were a woman/minority/etc the time you had to deal with it was set by the first paycheck.

Now, each new paycheck where you make less because of your sex/race/etc is considered a new infraction, so it resets the statute of limitations. So if you find out you've been screwed for three years, you can still get the back pay you're owed.

I think the law will act more as a deterrant to companies to stop the unfair pay, not actually encourage more lawsuits like the opponents are saying.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Politico wrote:

Probably. I fully admit my bias against Politico is showing - it just seemed awfully weird to see this article headlining their main page with everything else going on, and I assumed they were subtly pushing the whole "Obamessiah" meme we all know and love.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Politico wrote:
    Technically, Yahweh, as referred to by Charlton-Heston-Moses.

Edit: nevermind, the quote I'm thinking of is "BEHOLD HIS MIGHTY HAND."

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Damn that picture is amazing. My new background!

urahonky on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Greek Key?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    VeritasVR wrote: »

Now I am no law expert

I think the law will act more as a deterrant to companies to stop the unfair pay, not actually encourage more lawsuits like the opponents are saying.

Well I don't think it will encourage more lawsuits since precedence was exactly what this bill says until the Supreme Court decided to throw precedence completely out the window in 2007.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Greek Key?

0198606788.greek-key.1.jpg

It's an ancient motif that symbolizes infinity. Most ornamented old buildings and furniture has it on it somewhere. The Resolute desk has it around the writing surface, and you get close enough in that resolution to see the indents.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Well I don't think it will encourage more lawsuits since precedence was exactly what this bill says until the Supreme Court decided to throw precedence completely out the window in 2007.

Well it's not like people who found out that they were discriminated against in pay weren't going to sue in the first place because they've been working there for years. The only thing that will really lead to more lawsuits (after/if the wave that might come as a result of this bill) would be more discriminatory pay that people can sue over.

moniker on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2009

Greek Key?

0198606788.greek-key.1.jpg

It's an ancient motif that symbolizes infinity. Most ornamented old buildings and furniture has it on it somewhere. The Resolute desk has it around the writing surface, and you get close enough in that resolution to see the indents.

Architecture nerd. ^^^^^^

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Either of those are awesome outcomes. One way, people aren't getting screwed. The other way, the people who screwed other people are paying for it.

Win/win.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Either of those are awesome outcomes. One way, people aren't getting screwed. The other way, the people who screwed other people are paying for it.

Win/win.

Exactly. Which is why the opponents (read: GOP) fail at simple logic.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Please excuse my ignorance as a filthy Canadian... but is that a painting of Lincoln in the OP pic?

Because if it is, it strikes me as a wonderfully powerful shot; having him overlooking a meeting involving the first black president.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Please excuse my ignorance as a filthy Canadian... but is that a painting of Lincoln in the OP pic?

Because if it is, it strikes me as a wonderfully powerful shot; having him overlooking a meeting involving the first black president.

It is. There's a painting of Washington over the fireplace. Which is basically true for all Presidencies, though the particular painting of each may change.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That's a portrait of Lincoln, yes.

I'm not familiar with the process of selecting that sort of thing, or if there are specific portraits that always hang in specific places.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2009

That's a portrait of Lincoln, yes.

I'm not familiar with the process of selecting that sort of thing, or if there are specific portraits that always hang in specific places.

In the Oval Office it's up to the individual President, though Obama hasn't chosen new ones yet and Bush picked Washington and Lincoln. Presumably Lincoln would be staying put anyway. Otherwise some are (I think) permanently in certain rooms. Like the Roosevelt Room I think always had both Roosevelts and TR's Nobel Peace Prize.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is the stimulus bill being debated in the Senate today, and if not, then when?

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So stimulus package is being worked on in the senate, Ledbetter is signed (yay!), there are still a few outstanding appointments...

Anyone know what else is being worked on right now?

Edit for Hakkekage: I think it is going to be debated next week.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I thought it was approved..? With 100% republican rejection? Maybe I was just reading highlights or something.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    SCHIP is also in the Senate currently. House is in recess til the 2nd. Holder confirmation I think scheduled for Monday.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Day 9 - Take Off Your Tie and Jacket
    but you can leave your hat on.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I thought it was approved..? With 100% republican rejection? Maybe I was just reading highlights or something.

House passed it. Now it's going to the Senate, where changes will no doubt be made, kicked back to the House, etc. It'll be a few weks at the earliest before the package will actually be passed.

We'll have to see if Senate Republicans are as loyal as House Republicans because it's 59 to 41...

Professor Phobos on
This discussion has been closed.