As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shin splints?

ToldoToldo But actually,WeegianRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Greetings, H&A,

I have recently started working out a lot - 5 times a week. I always warm up by running for 10 minutes or so. After nearly 3 weeks of working out, this strange tingling sensation has developed on the front side of my right shin. At first, I thought I must have spilled some water on me, since the tingling feels "cold." I've heard of shin splints, but I've never actually had them - from what I've been told, they can be extremely painful, though what I'm experiencing is just a slight discomfort.

Any thoughts?

Toldo on

• Options
    S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm no expert, but my experience with shin splints in the past has not been any tingling feeling. Just a general aching of my shins after a football game or practice which would take a much longer time to subside and stop me from practicing or playing twice in the same week.
    I was told at the time this was shin splints. I dont know if that truly was or if its more what you're describing.
    If they are the same thing though, the way I stopped it? I wear 2 pairs of socks whenever i go running or play a game. I've never had the problem since.

S-Starwind on
    XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A slight tingling does not sound like shin splints. Maybe a nerve getting agitated?

Shin splints, as described, are a dull aching in the shins, usually with each impact on the ground. I had them bad in high school, and I get them for a few days when I start working out hard after a period of not working out.

If they do develop into shin splints, I run a lap or two backwards. Always makes me feel better.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Sounds like a nerve problem - pinched nerve or something along those lines. Shin splints is an ache in the shins, or in my case a sharp stabbing godamn pain because I've been lazy and only recently started running again.

I've had the problem with the nerve happen after I started doing ruck marches, happened once or twice when my leg started going all numb/tingly, but after doing the marches a few more times it went away because the body got used to it.

If it keeps happening, ask someone that works at the gym that you go to about it. If you're leg just loses all feeling and doesn't return to normal, or in a rare case just starts flipping the fuck out (seen it happen) - go to the hospital. :P

Loathing on
  • Options
    SakebombSakebomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Toldo wrote: »
    Greetings, H&A,

I have recently started working out a lot - 5 times a week. I always warm up by running for 10 minutes or so. After nearly 3 weeks of working out, this strange tingling sensation has developed on the front side of my right shin. At first, I thought I must have spilled some water on me, since the tingling feels "cold." I've heard of shin splints, but I've never actually had them - from what I've been told, they can be extremely painful, though what I'm experiencing is just a slight discomfort.

Any thoughts?

I used to get them a lot back when I was doing 5 mile runs every other day in the Army. They’re definitely painful, and feel nothing like the sensation you described.
    Investing in a good pair of running shoes was the only thing that helped. Im the most frugal person I know, but I'll gladly shell out $100+ for a pair of Nike shox.
    I would definitely recommend only running every other day, giving those muscle groups some more time to recover. Do an alternate form of cardio for 10 minutes instead on those days

Sakebomb on
  • Options
    LaonarLaonar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    To test out and see if you have shin splints do this.

Stand up

Tap your foot, if you get a burning sensation in your shin, you are developing shin splints or have them.

Laonar on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It could also be chronic compartment syndrome, where as you exercise your muscles become engorged in blood and pinch off further blood supply. It happens to me, where my leg almost falls asleep during the last mile or two of my 5 mile runs.

If it keeps happening, you should look into another cardio regimen, but you can help avoid it by adequately resting between workouts or popping a few ibuprofen before you exercise to keep inflammation down.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Laonar wrote: »
    To test out and see if you have shin splints do this.

Stand up

Tap your foot, if you get a burning sensation in your shin, you are developing shin splints or have them.
    According to my fiance, I have them bad. What do I do now?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There's not a lot you can do about shin splints. Well, directly that is. You need to make sure that you're stretching properly and wearing a good pair of socks/shoes. Also, as was stated before, try to give yourself a day's rest between heavy running sessions. Try alternating your running with swimming or biking.

The only way I'm aware of to cure shinsplints once you've got them is to give it time.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    TelexTelex Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    For shin splints:
    You can use heat packs on your shins before running, and ice them after (ice cups are good - rub the shin for 5-10 minutes. You can make your own by freezing paper cups full of water, just peel away the bottom when you want to use it).

To avoid them later, and to help speed recovery, you need to start strengthening the shin muscle (shin splints are the muscle pulling away from the bone because of the shock of impact). A good exercise is to sit on a chair with your knees at a 90 degree angle. Put a towel on the ground, and some books (or other weight, but books are convenient) on one end. Sitting on the chair, use your toes (and only your toes; curl them repeatedly) to grab the towel and drag the books to you. You can also do sets of heel walks.

As always with running, make sure you have the proper type of shoe for your build/stride, and that they are not too worn (usually about 300 miles, 450 if you are alternating pairs or not running every day). A worn shoe, or one with too little cushion for you, will not absorb enough shock and can cause shin splints (among lots of other problems). And, don't run too much too soon. Increase weekly mileage by no more than 10% from the previous week.

Telex on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm definitely leaning towards the pinched nerve explanation. I got the the gym today, began running on the treadmill, and felt the tingle every time I put my right leg down. I then moved to one of those Orbitrek machines, and didn't feel a thing.

Toldo on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, in my experience shin splints always make my shins feel like they're burning and about to snap in two. A tingling pain doesn't sound like shinsplints to me.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Whatever you do, do NOT continue your current pace of running while you have shin splints, let yourself recover.

This was actually how my wife ended up getting her medical discharge from the army (unintentionally, and with far-reaching consequences still today). In basic training, she ran and ran (even during her free time) until she got shin splints... and she kept running. Eventually, she damaged her legs enough that she got a spiral fracture up both of her legs, and developed bursitis in both of her knees that still flares up today. She still has a hard time standing for long periods of time (or even moderate periods of time).

So definitely nurse this wound, don't ignore it.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095