Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

First 100 Days: Day 19 - Legal Conference. Without blackjack nor hookers.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Unknown, maybe next week sometime.

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • sterling3763sterling3763 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing the action.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava One day, I will be able to say to myself "I am beautiful and I am perfect just the way I am"Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, Specter, Snowe, Collins...

Anybody else think they can name Republicans that will vote with the Dems on this bill?

Anybody think that there will be a Dem that's crazy enough to go against the grain and vote against it?

My Little Corner of the World || I am ravelried! || My Steam!
    You have to fight through some bad days, to earn the best days of your life.
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anybody think that there will be a Dem that's crazy enough to go against the grain and vote against it?

They'll be dragging out the guillotine if Dems voting against it cause it to fail to pass.

edited January 2009
    Evan Bayh would be the one to watch out for. He's the biggest deficit hawk in Senate Democrats wise. I'll go with Specter, Snowe, Collins and three others that I haven't decided on. It passes 64-35.

Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Evan Bayh would be the one to watch out for. He's the biggest deficit hawk in Senate Democrats wise. I'll go with Specter, Snowe, Collins and three others that I haven't decided on. It passes 64-35.

I'd say Baucus is to his right fiscally. But I think they'll hold the party line on HR 1 and there will be a least 4 GOP defectors

11793-1.png
    Spoiler:
    edited January 2009
    Family planning aid to be put back in something, possibly as early next week.

edited January 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

I'd say Baucus is to his right fiscally. But I think they'll hold the party line on HR 1 and there will be a least 4 GOP defectors

I dunno, Baucus seems willing to spend if it's on the right thing. From what I've read his health care proposal is pretty well to the left of Obama's.

edited January 2009
    Yay! Samantha Power is getting a job in the White House.

• The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

YES! :^:

I was really hoping this would happen.

Spoiler:
  • IntangirIntangir Registered User
    edited January 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Shurakai wrote: »
    From Politico 44:

POTUS ON BONUSES: “That is the height of irresponsibility. It is shameful. And part of what we’re going to need is for folks on Wall Street who are asking for help to show some restraint, and show some discipline and show some sense of responsibility.”

“There will be time for them to get bonuses. Now’s not that time,” he said.

...pwnt
    Like, for a couple of years could you maybe settle for affluence instead of opulence?

Well, there is a good argument to be made that bonuses ensure you get the best and the brightest working for you which is what those firms desperately need right now. Those best and brightest just don't appear to actually be working there, though, to be given a bonus in order to keep them.

Okay, yes, that is how Wall Street works. In order to acquire and keep talent, they pay moderate (speaking very relatively here) salaries and enormous bonuses when things are good. Things are not good. If your company royally screws up and loses billions upon billions of dollars to the point that they need billions upon billions from taxpayers, you do not 'reward' your employees with billions upon billions in bonuses, nor do you spend $1,200,000 remodeling your already opulent office.

Besides, where would these people go to get jobs if they didn't get their bonuses? All of those firms are experiencing the same problems, and saying 'hey I just came from a failed company, and I'm a pompous jerk who left because I didn't get my bonus' is not gonna look good in an interview.

• Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User
    edited January 2009

Hell yeah
    :^:

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Hell yeah

hehehe in foreign relations no less!

• AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Hell yeah

Oh god yes this is awesome news. She's perfect for the job in multilateral affairs and hopefully something to do with the UN.

• werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

Hell yeah

Oh god yes this is awesome news. She's perfect for the job in multilateral affairs and hopefully something to do with the UN.

This is pretty fantastic.

• ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    werehippy wrote: »

Hell yeah

I want her to play The Monster Mash next time Clinton is in her office.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    werehippy wrote: »

Hell yeah

I had to read her book for my history class last year... I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Well, as much as one can enjoy a book all about genocide in the past century. :|

steam_sig.png
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited January 2009
    SCHIP expansion passed in the Senate. Yay.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And we're making overtures to Iran. Which is great, because I'd love to travel to Tehran and Persepolis someday. Persia just seems so exotic.

tea-1.jpg
  • Ain SophAin Soph Registered User
    edited January 2009
    And we're making overtures to Iran. Which is great, because I'd love to travel to Tehran and Persepolis someday. Persia just seems so exotic.

Watch this http://www.ricksteves.com/iran/. It's interesting as hell. Made my rather ignorant father change his mind about Iran when he saw the whole thing.

:whistle:
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Any word on DADT yet? I know Obama plans to address it early, but I don't know when.

EmperorSeth.png
    edited January 2009
    Any word on DADT yet? I know Obama plans to address it early, but I don't know when.

It will be repealed...at some point. I think they want to do it via legislation so the next President couldn't just repeal it.

• CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm sorry, does anybody have a link to a summary of Obama's proposed stimulus bill? My google-fu is failing me.

• override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's $12 for infrastructure, $500,000,000,000 for tax breaks, and alot for medical stuff iirc

XBLIVE: Biggestoverride
    League of Legends: override367
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA
    edited January 2009
    Jesus Christ people. Ten more pages since I left for work, and a new thread before I get back?

sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited January 2009
    We were liveblogging stimulus voting yesterday and it kind of got out of hand and the momentum carried over to today a little bit.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava One day, I will be able to say to myself "I am beautiful and I am perfect just the way I am"Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I didn't even read the rest of the last thread. It jumped from page 38-50something overnight.

I just started over in this one.

My Little Corner of the World || I am ravelried! || My Steam!
    You have to fight through some bad days, to earn the best days of your life.
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ain Soph wrote: »

Watch this http://www.ricksteves.com/iran/. It's interesting as hell. Made my rather ignorant father change his mind about Iran when he saw the whole thing.

Wish I'd known about that earlier. Last time it aired in my area was the 22nd.

camo_sig2.png
  • SavantSavant Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I must say that Obama has himself an excellent strawman in Limbaugh. The Republicans are just playing into Obama's hands by sucking Limbaugh's cock so much.

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's not a strawman if he's truly running the show (which, effectively, he appears to be doing).

I have a blog. Read it. Blog-reading makes you pretty and popular.
  • MrMisterMrMister Valuing scholarship above all elseRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

It will be repealed...at some point. I think they want to do it via legislation so the next President couldn't just repeal it.

It is incredibly unlikely that a president would re-instate DADT after it was repealed. When the gays come out and yet the army fails to fall apart, they'll have no justification left for the policy other than blatant bigotry, which, one hopes, is going out of style.

It's more likely that it's just not Obama's top priority right now. Which is fair, although unfortunately reminiscent of every other time gays have not been the democrats' top priority.

• ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    It's not a strawman if he's truly running the show (which, effectively, he appears to be doing).

But he certainly lacks a brain.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MrMister wrote: »

It is incredibly unlikely that a president would re-instate DADT after it was repealed. When the gays come out and yet the army fails to fall apart, they'll have no justification left for the policy other than blatant bigotry, which, one hopes, is going out of style.

It's more likely that it's just not Obama's top priority right now. Which is fair, although unfortunately reminiscent of every other time gays have not been the democrats' top priority.

Can we not start that again.

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I can't wait until DADT is done. The military guys I know think it's going to ruin the military. When I ask them if our military is the best in the world, they say hell yeah. I proceed to point out to them that the British have openly gay servicemen and their military still manages to be good, so our military must not be the best if we can't even live up to the British standard. I actually believe them when they say it's going to cause problems, but while in their eyes the problem is gay servicemen, in my eyes the problem is homophobic servicemen. I'll be happy if any soldier that can't obey the order to tolerate gays is dealt with swiftly and harshly and dishonorably discharged. It's long passed time we stopped tolerating and encouraging bigotry in the ranks.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We were liveblogging stimulus voting yesterday and it kind of got out of hand and the momentum carried over to today a little bit.

To be fair, there was also a good 5'ish/+ page debate on the value of paying for / attending higher education for the average person, but that spawned its own thread.

edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

I can't wait until DADT is done. The military guys I know think it's going to ruin the military. When I ask them if our military is the best in the world, they say hell yeah. I proceed to point out to them that the British have openly gay servicemen and their military still manages to be good, so our military must not be the best if we can't even live up to the British standard. I actually believe them when they say it's going to cause problems, but while in their eyes the problem is gay servicemen, in my eyes the problem is homophobic servicemen. I'll be happy if any soldier that can't obey the order to tolerate gays is dealt with swiftly and harshly and dishonorably discharged. It's long passed time we stopped tolerating and encouraging bigotry in the ranks.

Exactly- it'll cause problems the same way that integrating white and black soldiers caused problems - the bigots shit their pants over it for a while, then either got used to it or got kicked the fuck out.

edited January 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »

Exactly- it'll cause problems the same way that integrating white and black soldiers caused problems - the bigots shit their pants over it for a while, then either got used to it or got kicked the fuck out.

Well theres plenty of speculation that integrated fighting units in Vietnam actually accelerated the civil rights
    movement

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Spoiler:
    edited January 2009

I thought he already stomped out anyone except the president pulling executive privilege on his first day, and even when the President does it it needs approval by counsel.

edited January 2009
    Bush doesn't run the Justice dept anymore

If they push it and a subpoena is issued Holder will either enforce it or not

This discussion has been closed.