As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First 100 Days: Day 19 - Legal Conference. Without blackjack nor hookers.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's $12 for infrastructure, $500,000,000,000 for tax breaks, and alot for medical stuff iirc

override367 on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Jesus Christ people. Ten more pages since I left for work, and a new thread before I get back?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We were liveblogging stimulus voting yesterday and it kind of got out of hand and the momentum carried over to today a little bit.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I didn't even read the rest of the last thread. It jumped from page 38-50something overnight.

I just started over in this one.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ain Soph wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    And we're making overtures to Iran. Which is great, because I'd love to travel to Tehran and Persepolis someday. Persia just seems so exotic.

Watch this http://www.ricksteves.com/iran/. It's interesting as hell. Made my rather ignorant father change his mind about Iran when he saw the whole thing.

Wish I'd known about that earlier. Last time it aired in my area was the 22nd.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I must say that Obama has himself an excellent strawman in Limbaugh. The Republicans are just playing into Obama's hands by sucking Limbaugh's cock so much.

Savant on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's not a strawman if he's truly running the show (which, effectively, he appears to be doing).

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Any word on DADT yet? I know Obama plans to address it early, but I don't know when.

It will be repealed...at some point. I think they want to do it via legislation so the next President couldn't just repeal it.

It is incredibly unlikely that a president would re-instate DADT after it was repealed. When the gays come out and yet the army fails to fall apart, they'll have no justification left for the policy other than blatant bigotry, which, one hopes, is going out of style.

It's more likely that it's just not Obama's top priority right now. Which is fair, although unfortunately reminiscent of every other time gays have not been the democrats' top priority.

MrMister on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    It's not a strawman if he's truly running the show (which, effectively, he appears to be doing).

But he certainly lacks a brain.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MrMister wrote: »
    Any word on DADT yet? I know Obama plans to address it early, but I don't know when.

It will be repealed...at some point. I think they want to do it via legislation so the next President couldn't just repeal it.

It is incredibly unlikely that a president would re-instate DADT after it was repealed. When the gays come out and yet the army fails to fall apart, they'll have no justification left for the policy other than blatant bigotry, which, one hopes, is going out of style.

It's more likely that it's just not Obama's top priority right now. Which is fair, although unfortunately reminiscent of every other time gays have not been the democrats' top priority.

Can we not start that again.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I can't wait until DADT is done. The military guys I know think it's going to ruin the military. When I ask them if our military is the best in the world, they say hell yeah. I proceed to point out to them that the British have openly gay servicemen and their military still manages to be good, so our military must not be the best if we can't even live up to the British standard. I actually believe them when they say it's going to cause problems, but while in their eyes the problem is gay servicemen, in my eyes the problem is homophobic servicemen. I'll be happy if any soldier that can't obey the order to tolerate gays is dealt with swiftly and harshly and dishonorably discharged. It's long passed time we stopped tolerating and encouraging bigotry in the ranks.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We were liveblogging stimulus voting yesterday and it kind of got out of hand and the momentum carried over to today a little bit.

To be fair, there was also a good 5'ish/+ page debate on the value of paying for / attending higher education for the average person, but that spawned its own thread.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

I can't wait until DADT is done. The military guys I know think it's going to ruin the military. When I ask them if our military is the best in the world, they say hell yeah. I proceed to point out to them that the British have openly gay servicemen and their military still manages to be good, so our military must not be the best if we can't even live up to the British standard. I actually believe them when they say it's going to cause problems, but while in their eyes the problem is gay servicemen, in my eyes the problem is homophobic servicemen. I'll be happy if any soldier that can't obey the order to tolerate gays is dealt with swiftly and harshly and dishonorably discharged. It's long passed time we stopped tolerating and encouraging bigotry in the ranks.

Exactly- it'll cause problems the same way that integrating white and black soldiers caused problems - the bigots shit their pants over it for a while, then either got used to it or got kicked the fuck out.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »

Exactly- it'll cause problems the same way that integrating white and black soldiers caused problems - the bigots shit their pants over it for a while, then either got used to it or got kicked the fuck out.

Well theres plenty of speculation that integrated fighting units in Vietnam actually accelerated the civil rights
    movement

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I thought he already stomped out anyone except the president pulling executive privilege on his first day, and even when the President does it it needs approval by counsel.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bush doesn't run the Justice dept anymore

If they push it and a subpoena is issued Holder will either enforce it or not

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I can actually see Bush's point here (that if conversations between aides are confidential during the presidency, they should stay so after it), but I think the real question would be can you use executive privilege on misconduct. Precident says no, so all you could refuse to testify on would be advice given relating to executive matters, anything else like discussing firing attorneys for political reasons, would be fair game. Unless you want to bring up a legal argument for misconduct being standard executive operations.

kildy on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So what's up with the protectionist measures in the stimulus package? Do you guys only respect NAFTA when it benefits you or what? Trade wars at this time would be really bad.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090130.wobamaagenda30/BNStory/National/home

Worrying to say the least.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Proto wrote: »
    So what's up with the protectionist measures in the stimulus package? Do you guys only respect NAFTA when it benefits you or what? Trade wars at this time would be really bad.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090130.wobamaagenda30/BNStory/National/home

"Trade Wars" is a bullshit term. And nothing in that article suggests a violation of NAFTA. Also NAFTA is a shitty trade agreement.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What are the odds that Rove would actually say something damaging on the witness stand if he was forced to testify? Since the Bush administration seems to have strategically 'lost' a lot of their incriminating emails, is there enough evidence available to catch him in perjury?

Duffel on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PantsB wrote: »

"Trade Wars" is a bullshit term. And nothing in that article suggests a violation of NAFTA. Also NAFTA is a shitty trade agreement.

thanks for the input.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    What are the odds that Rove would actually say something damaging on the witness stand if he was forced to testify? Since the Bush administration seems to have strategically 'lost' a lot of their incriminating emails, is there enough evidence available to catch him in perjury?

Stupid people hopped up on Hopium: Throw a bunch of them up, catch the inconsistencies, promise immunity if one turns, etc.

Realistically? "I don't recall" "I don't remember" "I'm not sure" for days about anything.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

thanks for the input.

Protectionism isn't really barred by NAFTA or anything else. That said, it's usually a pretty bullshit thing to do, and if the senate actually adds "everything has to be american!" I'll be pretty annoyed.

kildy on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, that "Buy American" clause is pretty bad news, for everyone.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure it's barred by NAFTA and the WTO, which requires government to treat domestic and foreign businesses equally.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    A 'buy american' clause is hopefully just the House's brand of stupidity and the Senate will delete it.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    A 'buy american' clause is hopefully just the House's brand of stupidity and the Senate will delete it.

The article was implying the house added buy american on steel and iron, and the senate was trying to add buy american to Everything.

Some quick reading seems to imply that NAFTA has clauses exempting some forms of money, specifically certain government spending types. I don't know how valid that is, since it was all information from sales reps trying to get government agencies to buy their shit over foreign shit.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Argh. Protectionism is just the thing to make this worse.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is for government funded projects?

I don't see a huge problem. Doing 100% american would be stupid, but a certain high threshold would actually be smart. Since you know, this is for the stimulus of our economy. Canada can feel free to pass their own massive stimulus bill and spend it on Canadian shit.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Are you just talking about purchasing, or is off-shoring jobs all good too? Also, recall that this is a stimulus package for helping the American economy. Ensuring that most of the money goes to America businesses and American workers is precisely the point.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited January 2009

What makes you think that?

The purpose of the stimulus is to create increased production and employment in the United States. Steel, for example, bought in Canada will have a lesser beneficial effect even if the cost is reduced.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wouldn't buying american help the economy in the short term, and then all those artificially propped up vendors collapse the second we stop the buy american thing and they have to compete again? I'm no econ major, but it seems like it would just create another artificial bubble to burst later as a solution to the current woes.

kildy on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kildy wrote: »
    Wouldn't buying american help the economy in the short term, and then all those artificially propped up vendors collapse the second we stop the buy american thing and they have to compete again? I'm no econ major, but it seems like it would just create another artificial bubble to burst later as a solution to the current woes.

the entire point of a stimulus is to help in the short term.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If it triggers protectionist responses in other countries, their retaliation can hurt the American economy.

50% of Caterpillar's products go abroad, for example. If we refuse to buy steel from Country X even though we'd normally do so in lieu of buying more expensive American steel, and Country X decides to buy its own crappy tractors instead of Caterpillar's...

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ugh. What part of 'private citizen' does he not get?
    Realistically? "I don't recall" "I don't remember" "I'm not sure" for days about anything.

"I'm pretty sure you do remember, and remind you that you are under oath" would take care of that in a hell of a hurry.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The accusations of protectionism flying around are a little overblown. We're not exactly talking about import tariffs here. Ensuring that the American taxpayers' money gets given to American firms is a little bit of a no brainer. This also has no effect on the private sector's ability to buy.

It would rather defeat the point of a stimulus if the government just rocked up and said "here you go China."

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    Ugh. What part of 'private citizen' does he not get?

"I'm pretty sure you do remember, and remind you that you are under oath" would take care of that in a hell of a hurry.

Eh, hard to prove someone's memory, unless you get a witness somewhere to flip.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The accusations of protectionism flying around are a little overblown. We're not exactly talking about import tariffs here. Ensuring that the American taxpayers' money gets given to American firms is a little bit of a no brainer. This also has no effect on the private sector.

It would rather defeat the point of a stimulus if the government just rocked up and said "here you go China."

Exactly. I'd be pretty damned pissed off if all this debt we're about to take on goes abroad instead of to American vendors and workers. Shit, I'm already pissed that the bailout money we've already doled out is going to companies that are laying off Americans and off-shoring jobs wherever they can.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    If it triggers protectionist responses in other countries, their retaliation can hurt the American economy.

50% of Caterpillar's products go abroad, for example. If we refuse to buy steel from Country X even though we'd normally do so in lieu of buying more expensive American steel, and Country X decides to buy its own crappy tractors instead of Caterpillar's...

Considering America has a massive trade deficit I wouldn't be so sure this would be bad for America in the first place. The reduced efficiency would be harmful but right now free trade is fucking Americans pretty bad. The problem with the "Flat" earth is America is used to being on top.

But this probably should go to a new thread if people want to continue

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The reduced efficiency would be harmful but right now free trade is fucking Americans pretty bad. .

No it really isn't. It's fucking some Americans; America as a whole has benefited and continues to benefit from free trade.

Professor Phobos on
This discussion has been closed.