As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

ASimPersonASimPerson Cold...and hard.Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
So the old thread got locked, and I feel bad posting in SimBen's LP Thread because it gets everyone's hopes up. But I also want to talk about this game, so here goes.

Anyway, here's my attempt at making a decent OP. Most of you probably already know all this, so you can skip ahead.

563538_29080_front.jpg

Chrono Trigger is a RPG that was released for the SNES back in 1995. Basically, if you like RPGs at all, and you haven't played this, you're missing out. Or even if you don't like RPGs you might enjoy this. What makes CT great? This is just my opinion, of course, but:
  • An innovative battle system. While it uses the same Active Time Battle principles as its more traditional Square cousin, all battles take place in the field view and in many cases it is possible to avoid fights altogether. In other words, while there are some forced fights (usually the first time through a particular dungeon) there are no true "random battles". Additionally, the battle system allows your party members to team up to perform more powerful spells and attacks.
  • An excellent soundtrack. This was Yasunori Mitsuda's first major project, and he did a bang-up job. I listen to the overworld music for 600 AD several times a day. He did all but a few tracks. The rest were done by some Nobuo guy? Yeah, I think I've heard of him somewhere before.
  • A time travel story that doesn't completely suck. Okay, yes, there are plot holes, inaccuracies, etc., in general you can get through it. Maybe it's just me, but every other game I've played that dealt with time (except for Ocarina of Time) failed miserably.
  • And much more!
Anyway, the reason this thread is also topical is because a week from today Chrono Trigger will be released for the first time in Europe. Chrono Trigger DS, that is.

I'm playing through the DS version right now and I have to say it's pretty cool. You can play with the stylus if you hate yourself, but even in "DS Mode" you can use the D-pad and you get the benefits of the new interface (HP/MP is displayed on the lower screen, along with a map and quick access to the sub-meenus). It's also got some extra dungeons, though the conensus from the previous thread was that one of them was a waste of time. Also, the DS version features a new translation. While the SNES translation wasn't terrible (especially compared to previous, and succeeding, Square efforts) the new one is much better, except for maybe the Mystics->Fiends thing.

Anyway, there's really no reason for you not to own this.

Edit: While I'm here, I'm changing this to a general CT discussion thread, mainly beause I just bought Chrono Cross and I've never played it before. Let the flamewars begin!

By the way, if you want to discuss that other IP Square is famous for, then head on right over here.

ASimPerson on

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Anyway, now I can ask my damn question:

Is there a consensus on what the best use of the tabs?

ASimPerson on
  • Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pick your three dudes and pump dem up.

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    finally gonna beat this (again), this weekend.

TyrantCow on
  • stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm sure this was covered in the last thread(s) but what was added to the DS release? Anything?

stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    stavesacre wrote: »
    I'm sure this was covered in the last thread(s) but what was added to the DS release? Anything?

Couple new end-game dungeons, a new ending, some name changes, an Arena monster battling system, and some other stuff.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/950181/55361

Ganluan on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    stavesacre wrote: »

A lot actually, so much that I'm probably gonna forget stuff but whatever:
    • New Translation: The translation was updated and slightly tweaked. This might sound bad, it's not, it's awesome
    • Different controls: Touch screen controls obviously, and it works really really well.
    • Monster Training: You can get a monster, and then train it and fight battles with it. It's a pretty minor thing, but I had some fun doing it
    • New Dungeons: There's some new dungeons, I don't really know them because I'm not that far yet. I think the general consensus is that they suck however.
    • Endgame Stuff: some stuff was added to the endgame, a new ending, and I think it "saves" the endings you've already gotten in some way

So it's basically totally awesome and it's motherfucking portable!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just finished my first run through of the DS version and I'd just like rant about the Lost Sanctum. What an abolsolute piece of shit that dungeon is. In my opinion Chrono Trigger is one of the most important games in our hobby's history and one of the reasons this is the case is that the game has no fat in it. It's 100% awesome from start to finish, and covers in the 15-20 hours it takes to finish, more than most modern 100+ hour RPGs. It just doesn't have any bullshit... until now! The Lost Sanctum is like anti-Chrono Trigger - lots of tedious back tracking, recylced locations and an inane story. They even slowed down the combat by having long animations where monsters pop up out of nowhere before the fights. The fast-paced combat is one of the best bits of CT!

I gave up on it after going back up that fucking mountain for the 10th time and just completed the game. I feel so angry that it's even there. What's the new final dungeon like, as I'm not even going to attempt it if its even a 10th as bad a LS.

Anyway rant over. Buy this game as its still great after all these years. Just avoid the Lost Sanctum like the plague.

Cullen on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Saving the endings for later viewing I think was a part of the FF4 Anthology (since Chrono Trigger came with it).

I didn't know a new ending (or two / more?) were added, let alone that there was a retranslation of the game. I heard about name changes though. Might pick this up. Not a priority at all though.

Henroid on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Starting this tonight, finally. For the first time! I'm excited. Played it for a few hours on an emulator a while back, but my save files got corrupted, or some nonsense. Now, I'm going to do this the right way.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • wildhalcyonwildhalcyon Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've got mixed feelings about it. I've played CT several times, and I just don't see the worth in the DS version. I would rather keep my memories of it pure and untainted...

wildhalcyon on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh Hell yes, CT thread.

I got the game for Christmas and was elated, having missed CT on the Super NES (hell, I didn't even start playing RPG's until a few years ago).

CT has been the first RPG that I haven't gotten bored with halfway through. I love everything about it.

Regarding the new dungeons: I'm probably going to ignore they even exist until I've gotten every other ending...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    siiiiiiiiiiigh

I just finished the Age of Magic and have no idea what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've got mixed feelings about it. I've played CT several times, and I just don't see the worth in the DS version. I would rather keep my memories of it pure and untainted...

Cleaned up graphics, the ability to take it wherever you want (chrono trigger while u poop lolol), adjusted translation and new content aren't enough?

freakish light on
    edited January 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    siiiiiiiiiiigh

I just finished the Age of Magic and have no idea what the fuck I'm supposed to be doing.

Talk to the guy at the End of Time.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's supposed to come out early in 2009 for Europe, anyone know any sort of date for it?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    siiiiiiiiiiigh

All he says is a dramatic speech about
    The Time Egg and how it has unexpected results when it hatches, revealing serious business.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited January 2009
    siiiiiiiiiiigh

All he says is a dramatic speech about
    The Time Egg and how it has unexpected results when it hatches, revealing serious business.

Well if you want to
    Revive Chrono, you have to take the time egg to the top of Death Peak in 2400 AD. You need to get the Epoch, though, if you haven't...which is also in 2400AD.

Cameron_Talley on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just beat this for the first time and it really was awesome. Lavos is probably my favourite badguy now.
    The whole fact that it controlled evolution on the planet to better itself was so so great. I liked that its entire motivation was, essentially, the continuation of its species. Certainly different from the megalomaniac style antagonists in other games.

I hope its possible to do Chrono Cross at some point on DS as I never played that either.

Rotam on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I learned something the other day.

That SNES boxart isn't actually wrong. I always though why is Marle Shooting Fire, when she's a Water person.

So if you ever play with Crono Marle and Frog, you'd know that was their triple tech.

Frog crouches for Chrono to jump off of, and Marle lights his sword up with a flickering blue and red flame.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ive been doing the ending sidequests. Still havent finished. When I bought it for the DS it was my first time ever playing it and DAMN. Everyone needs to buy this game. If you dont have it, you go and buy it. NOW.

I stopped playing because I got so fucking annoyed at having to go up and down that FUCKING MOUNTAIN so many times. So I stopped to take a break from mountain climbing.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kor wrote: »

That SNES boxart isn't actually wrong. I always though why is Marle Shooting Fire, when she's a Water person.

So if you ever play with Crono Marle and Frog, you'd know that was their triple tech.

Frog crouches for Chrono to jump off of, and Marle lights his sword up with a flickering blue and red flame.

I always assumed that was Lucca because of the red hair, fire spell and reddish outfit. I really never thought of it being Marle.

Mr Blonde on
    edited January 2009
    Mr Blonde wrote: »

I always assumed that was Lucca because of the red hair, fire spell and reddish outfit. I really never thought of it being Marle.

Nah, its Marle. She is wearing an extra layer of clothing for the cold. Just like Crono has a cape on for the same purpose.

The Hair is closer to Orange, and Lucca's hair is Brown isn't it?

Finally, you can see marle's standard blue pants at the bottom of the cloak.

Kor on
  • Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mr Blonde wrote: »

Nah, its Marle. She is wearing an extra layer of clothing for the cold. Just like Crono has a cape on for the same purpose.

The Hair is closer to Orange, and Lucca's hair is Brown isn't it?

Finally, you can see marle's standard blue pants at the bottom of the cloak.

I'm not saying it isn't. Its just the last time I really looked at the box art I was 10 years old and thought it was Lucca and never had a discussion on it after that since it always made sense in my head.

Yeah, Lucca's hair is brown, but Marle's is technically blonde. So all the pieces of the puzzle pointed to Lucca when I was a kid.

Mr Blonde on
    edited January 2009
    It's supposed to come out early in 2009 for Europe, anyone know any sort of date for it?

OP says a week from today (or whatever day the OP was written

Cameron_Talley on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

OP says a week from today (or whatever day the OP was written

I don't want to wait a week...!

Also, the character on the front of the snes box looks like a blonde to me.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Just got back to Zeal('To Break The Seal'). Probably my favorite music yet.

And I certainly plan on replaying Chrono Cross immediately afterward.
    (Which will get a separate thread, unless someone beats me to it)
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Anyway, now I can ask my damn question:

Is there a consensus on what the best use of the tabs?

Give them to your best people in each category. I give Strength to Frog and Crono, Magic and Speed to Lucca.

They're my trinity at the moment.

And the new translation is great. It adds a lot to the story, such as (Janus)
    one of the Gurus mentioning that Janus suppressed his magic power after his mother went insane, even though he had more potential than Schala.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited January 2009
    Ok. Look. Its pretty obvious.

Lucca -
    lucca.jpg

Marle -
    marle.jpg

First of all, the hair, luccas is like....purple while Marles is orange-blonde. Second. Does anyone else even see the thing holding her hair up? Does Lucca have that? No. She wears a freakin Helmet on her head. Case closed.

(if I seem agitated its probably because its a simple matter to figure out) I understand for the guy who hadnt seen the boxart in ten years and was young then, thats ok, but for others....COME OOOOOOOON.

mastrius on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I still listen to Frog's Theme all the time.

Ganluan on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Lucca? More like bulma, m i rite?

NickTheNewbie on
    edited January 2009
    They both look like Bulma really. If Lucca had her helmet off and Marle had her hair down...oh yeah. Two Bulmas. He has a very limited range of....styles for his characters....

mastrius on
    edited January 2009
    Maybe I've forgotten, but who's bulma?

Kor on
    edited January 2009
    Dragonball Z. Like 80% of the girls Toriyama draws look like her.

mastrius on
    edited January 2009
    I'd like to add +1 to the people who didn't like the lost sanctum missions. They got really repetitive. It's a good thing it's not really part of the story, or even the sidequest, but just an optional grindfest to get some more levels and equipment. Luckily the dimensional vortex areas go by a lot quicker.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited January 2009
    So you need to beat the game to do some extra dungeons? Because like I said, I stopped in the midst of the bullshit lost sanctum stuff. Ill finish up when I pop it back in but...yeah....

mastrius on
  • xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    hmm so in the original, the characters not being used also leveled up? albeit slower?

xta on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    So you need to beat the game to do some extra dungeons? Because like I said, I stopped in the midst of the bullshit lost sanctum stuff. Ill finish up when I pop it back in but...yeah....
    The new dungeons suck pretty hard. The Sanctum is bad enough, but the design for the other one is just lazy.

Still, portable Chrono Trigger.

Elendil on
    edited January 2009
    xta wrote: »
    hmm so in the original, the characters not being used also leveled up? albeit slower?

They are doing that in the DS game. I don't know if they did so in the original. You don't seem to learn techs automatically, though...

Cameron_Talley on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pretty sure that's unchanged. Unused characters get 1/2 exp, no TP.

Elendil on
    edited January 2009
    mastrius wrote: »

I'm not sure if you've played CT before, but the lost sanctum is one of the extra dungeons. It's not part of the regular sidequests. The other ones pop up right after you beat the game.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited January 2009
    Right, I'm on my first playthrough of CT ever and I just completed all the sidequests, save
    The Black Omen. So how do I tackle the black omen? You can go through it multiple times, right, by defeating it in 2400 AD first, and then working your way back? Is that worth doing or will that seriously over level you? I'm at about level 45 with everybody. Oh, and I'm completely ignoring the extra dungeons. Screw that.

Cameron_Talley on