Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] Final Fantasy VII! A Tale of Revenge, Redemption, and Ridiculosity

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Marmaduke?

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Red Rocket

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The awesomness continues.

As someone who has never played the game before: So far the story reminds me of FFVI. A Lot. Just replace "Ancients" with Espers. Pretty much the same.

3DS code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • TimestonesTimestones Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Food wrote: »
    Clifford

I second this one.

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Surely it's beyond doubt that Shinra is run by a bunch of retards? I mean, they hired Hojo, the epitome of a mad scientist, and put him in charge of their entire science department - you'd have to be pretty damn moronic to do that.

As for Red XIII, I'm gonna throw out a couple of suggestions; Simba, Fido, Nanaki, Angelo, Django, Wang. The last one's purely because he says "call me what you want."

leonroughdividesig.jpg
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 XBL - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dog on Fire
    Amarant
    Or maybe a name that reflects the fact that Hojo wanted Red XIII and Aeris to fuck. Sue Fucker? Stud Dog? I don't know.

mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In the "stud" vein:

Loverboy.

Stallion.

And for random and weird:

The DAWG.

twitter, github, resume/portfolio, if you like to play or host boardgames online, check out handtracker
  • RucioRucio Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Red Five.

Also, Yes to this thread.

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I personally like Scooby Doo, but it won't fit with the space. :(

Clifford isn't bad either.

• george-xgeorge-x Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Adus - these are awesome! Keep them up if you can, I'm cracking up

roster.gif
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User
    edited January 2009
    This LP is far, FAR better than it has any right to be.

l4d_sig.png
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This is a most amazing LP, Adus. The 404 joke made me choke on my alfredo; keep it up!

and this sig. and this blog..
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone else here feel that Square really dropped the ball with Aerith's character? Despite all the tragedy in her life, and her role in the game (which should have made her an enthralling character) I found her thoroughly unlikeable through the majority of the game. I would agree with most of the posters here and say she's a Mary Sue. The moment that really sealed the deal for me was at the Gold Saucer, right after we see Barret go to his hometown and see what's happened to it, and realize it's partially his fault, all she wants to do was ride around at the Gold Saucer.

One of her primary purposes seems to be a trap for Cloud. Cloud is, of course, living Zack's life to an extent, and Aerith was Zack's true love. That Cloud seemed to have feelings for her (though I'm not really sure how deep they go) seems to me more a sign of the influence of Zack's memories, than true love. If anything, she had to die for him to really regain himself.

I actually find the Kingdom Hearts Aerith to be much more likeable. She was mature and thoughtful, and just all around much better a character.

• YaYaYaYa Rick and Morty forever and ever 100 years! a100timesRickandMorty.comRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Nanaki just for massive confusion when we get to Cosmo Canyon

edited January 2009
    Nothing to see here, folks. Carry on, carry on.

Part 7 - Elevators from Hell
    Spoiler:

• SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Incredible. When I read the part about semi-colons in names (seriously... what the fuck?), I burst out laughing at work. I desperately tried to stop myself from looking like a cackling lunatic. It didn't work. Bravo, sir.

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    You left out what's arguably Rufus' best line in the game. :P
    What a crew.

Great update though.

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The roll call and the achievement had me in stitches. Yaydus!

mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited January 2009
    The roll call and the achievement had me in stitches. Yaydus!

Yeah, I completely lost it at Crow.

l4d_sig.png
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User
    edited February 2009
    This stuff had me cracking up at work :)

Balefuego wrote: »
    When I play FPS games I just assume my dude is inside a tiny plane and he's sticking his arm out the window with a gun.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The bit in part 6 was fantastic, Reno checking his watch and proclaiming that he has to catch Gilmore Girls.

kTNzrVi.png?2
    Disasterrific! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish someone would do one of these for every FF game. The one for FF8 from some time back was awesome, and this one is fucking hilarious.

• ShujaaShujaa Registered User
    edited February 2009
    I wish someone would do one of these for every FF game. The one for FF8 from some time back was awesome, and this one is fucking hilarious.

Do you have a link? I would love to read it.

Balefuego wrote: »
    When I play FPS games I just assume my dude is inside a tiny plane and he's sticking his arm out the window with a gun.
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shujaa wrote: »

Do you have a link? I would love to read it.

Here: http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/FF8/

edited February 2009
    That one was probably my main inspiration. If mine is considered even half as funny, I'll be quite satisfied.

Man, Cloud's story is such a boring part of the game when you're replaying. I dunno how I should format it since it's also important to the storyline.

• HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Man, I'm replaying this now, too. Can't believe Aeris' character hasn't been so obviously grating to me before. She's like Fallout 3's Moira, except it's not a joke.

• OcculusOcculus Registered User
    edited February 2009
    HtR-Laser wrote: »
    She's like Fallout 3's Moira, except it's not a joke.

camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2009
    HtR-Laser wrote: »
    Man, I'm replaying this now, too. Can't believe Aeris' character hasn't been so obviously grating to me before. She's like Fallout 3's Moira, except it's not a joke.

Except you can't blow her up with a nu-... wait a sec...

*sticks Elemental-Fire on Cloud and Tifa, uses Enemy Skill Beta*

leonroughdividesig.jpg
  • WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User
    edited February 2009
    This is made of win. My lord I haven't laughed this hard in forevers or some such ...

• a penguina penguin Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Yes, this is indeed the best thing ever. I think I pee'd a little at the roll call. President Constanza was also gold.

This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    edited February 2009
    You're covering more per update than I thought.

l4d_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Well, I loaded up the old save I mentioned here:
    That reminds me... in one of my old saves, I was farming the Gelnika for sources, and I think I came across a gltich in my materia setup. I believe it was using Pre-Emptive materia linked with a mastered Steal, combined with a Mega All, which on occasion resulted in the Slash All animation (Only with Mug, obviously) causing an attack that didn't bring up any damage figures, but killed instantly... and I'm not even talking Death status attacks - I think this had more in common with the glitched damage you can get Barret and Vincent to do with their ultimate weapons...

The actual materia combination that seems to be causing the glitch is a mastered Steal linked with Sneak Attack. I'm not sure whether or not Mega All has any effect, but what happens is that some of the time you'll get bog-standard Steal, some of the time you'll get Mug, some of the time you'll get one after the other... and then occasionally, one of these will be swapped with the Steal animation, with some relatively normal amount of damage... after which the battle ends, as if the enemy died. Just tried this on a Serpent, which I believe has somewhere over 10,000 HP; first Vincent used Steal, followed immediately by the 'fake' Steal which did around 4,000 damage. The battle ended straight afterwards. If anyone else has the same materia, give it a try and see what happens.

...Huh... just before I hit 'Submit', I get the glitch hit happen again... only it didn't end the battle. Now I wonder if it has more to do with Vincent's attack power when using Death Penalty... but it's still weird... one other thing to note about the 'fake' Steal is that it has no camera cut.

...OH. I'm still checking it out whilst preparing to submit this post, and I've spotted something - Yuffie has mastered Sneak Attack linked with Morph. Yuffie has Conformer. Yuffie also has enough power to do 9999 damage with Morph, and she also follows on from Vincent in the Sneak Attack chain. Just fought the Unknown with the least HP, and Vincent does his glitch hit again. However, while going through the victory animations, battle messages are still coming up... namely, "Yuffie is cought by surprise" (complete with typo), followed by "Changed into Power Source". Looks like Yuffie's Sneak Attack, while not shown, does take place after the glitch hit, so it's more to do with the game skipping the animations for the next Sneak Attack after the 'fake' Steal. It also explains why the other battle didn't end - Yuffie didn't Sneak Attack, and even if she did, the enemy would still have ~700 HP left.

leonroughdividesig.jpg
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Making good time with these updates. Just don't be disheartened by the fact that you've done seven updates already but are only a few hours into the game. Or that there are hundreds and hundreds of screenshots left to take. Skipping screenshots for extended dialogues in favor of just having text is a great idea. That alone should cut out huge amounts of tedious work for you.

Nice job on this LP. I laughed pretty hard at the Crow cameo and the Planet achievement was great. Doing stuff like that should help keep things lively without having to wrack your brain too hard to make witty comments about awful writing or dialogue.

I'd say you're well on your way to making a killer Let's Play. That FF8 one was good, but you've barely started on FF7 and you've got some real gems already. Keep up the great work!

PAJoe_zpsc20d21e8.jpg
    edited February 2009
    I'm not disheartened. Cloud's Story is just so slow. There were numerous playthroughs where I just stopped at it because I stopped caring by that point. One of the reasons I chose to make this playthrough an LP was that so I had more motivation to get through parts like that. My decision to make this accessible to people who don't know the story may have turned this into more work than necessary, since if I just took screenshots of all the funny or weird moments, I could be mostly done with disc 1 by now, but there are still people who haven't played it and I'd like them to understand what's going on if possible.

I will, however, probably get lazy as time goes on and just spoiler box more dialogue. I'll also probably avoid including shots of anything unnecessary like sidequests unless they're particularly amusing.

I also don't really wrack my brain too hard to write anything. I basically just write the first thing I think of. If I spend more than 60 seconds looking at a shot and literally can't think of anything I scrap it or write explanation dialogue if it was important.

Since it was hard for me to sit through Squall's Story in one sitting and I got more shots than I wanted for even half of it, here's a half-update.

Part 8-1: No Sephiroth, You Are The Demons
    Spoiler:

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow YRP...in position It's showtime, girls.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hahahaha

The bit about the joke is great, I've always wondered why he just sits there and does the laughing animation for like a minute.

kTNzrVi.png?2
    Disasterrific! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    edited February 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Sephiroth probably misses his old glasses.

That, or he was recalling the time Genesis replaced Angeal's Fire materia for a marble, then laughed as Angeal wondered why he had no elemental defence against that dragon...

leonroughdividesig.jpg
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    +1 for Queen reference!

3DS code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.