As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vanguard: Something About Heroes and Sagas

• Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There's a trial?! Yo, hook a brother up!

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This looks fucking sick. I wish I could run it.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Snapp69Snapp69 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Foomy if you still having problems check this.

[TECH] Unable to Connect
    Question
    Why I am unable to connect to Patch server or launchpad?
    Answer
    Please try opening the following links in a browser:

Launchpad:
    http://patch.station.sony.com:7000
    PC EQ:
    http://patch.everquest.com:7000
    PC EQ2:
    http://patch.everquest2.com:7010
    Mac EQ:
    http://macpatch.everquest.com:7090
    PlanetSide:
    http://patch.planetside.com:7080
    SWG:
    http://patch.starwarsgalaxies.com:7040
    http://patch.starwarsgalaxies.com:7050
    http://patch.starwarsgalaxies.com:7070
    EQOA:
    http://patch.everquestonlineadventures.com:7000
    Vanguard:
    http://patch.vanguardsoh.net:7000
    http://eupatch.vanguardsoh.net:7000

If you can successfully connect this way, then there are probably no problems on the network between your machine and the servers. You need to focus your troubleshooting on your machine, or your connection to your ISP.

If you are using a router, you may need to configure it for access to our games. In general, you can set up "Port Triggering" to allow our games to connect. To do so, you need to set up the start and port of the Trigger range to be 7000, and for the Triggered range, use the start port 1023 and the end port 65535 (for The Matrix Online, you need to use port 80 as the Trigger port). This is for both TCP and UDP packets. A good source of information on Port Triggering is http://www.portforward.com but you may want to contact the router manufacturer or your ISP for more specific information.

You may need to uninstall or disable your antivirus and firewall applications before connecting.

Snapp69 on
    MEAW.png
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is anyone else getting improved framerates? I logged in last night after the patch and found I could jack my settings back up and still run the game pretty well.

Shogun on
  • Snapp69Snapp69 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    To be honest I did notice that, may have to jack up my settings tonight and see whats up.

Do we have a Guild yet?

Snapp69 on
    MEAW.png
  • RavagerRavager Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anyone want to PM me a trial key? Ive been wanting to play this game forever but I need to see how well it runs on my PC before I spend the money on the game.

Ravager on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ravager wrote:
    Anyone want to PM me a trial key? Ive been wanting to play this game forever but I need to see how well it runs on my PC before I spend the money on the game.

I can send you one, just send me a PM if you still need it and i'll send it your way, I got no other use for it

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Are people given a limited number of trial keys? Or can you generate as many as you want/need?

Also: how long of a trial is it that is offered? This is the first mention of them offering a trial I've seen.

Ranlin on
  • GibberxGibberx Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow, there's a trial? I had no idea. I take it people buy the game and then get a key to hook a friend?

If anybody else has one that they don't want, I'd love to take a trial just to see how my computer holds up. How does this compare to Oblivion, in terms of graphics rape? My Athlon 64 3200+, Radeon X1600 Pro (256 meg, PCI-E), 1 GB RAM, etc. can play it at 1024x768 with the details about halfway up. It's alright, but I didn't like Oblivion a whole lot anyway.

Gibberx on
    Its+Tryke.png
    PSN: ItsTryke
    edited February 2007
    same on the trial, though I did just say that a few posts up.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You get one 10-day trial key with each purchase of the game, so see if anyone else in this thread has an un-used key, I just gave mine away

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a key I'd be willing to give away but I don't know how I get it. I did purchase a copy of the game where can I find said key? I'll happily give it to anyone here that wants it.

Shogun on
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Being in need of a key, I obviously don't own a copy, but generally when you're only given one key per purchased box, isn't it somewhere in the box? Either listed with the actual account key, or on a seperate paper slip or something?

Ranlin on
    edited February 2007
    I found my key its in the case if anyone else doesn't know where to look. Posting it here whoever gets it gets it.

D3TP-HF44-DHJR-CX3H-6XJJ

Shogun on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Today I learned you can critical hit yourself.

I killed myself with Thought Pulse for all my hit points. Thye refered to it as a "Legendary Hit".

And I still had to go back and loot my own body.

Fellhand on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh man, corpse runs? :(

Accualt on
  • GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, the game is purposely trying to bring back some of the difficulty in MMOs. The designers specifically mentioned they felt MMOs nowadays are too easy. Anyways, you can summon your corpse to the altar for some cash if you're feeling lazy.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
    edited February 2007
    Accualt wrote:

In a sense. You can bind every piece of equipment you own to your 'soul' so that when you die the only stuff that gets left is junk in your inventory but that could also include quest items and whatnot. You also lose a certain percentage of xp but if you get your body back you get 85% back.

So yeah no carebears.

Shogun on
    edited February 2007
    Shogun wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

In a sense. You can bind every piece of equipment you own to your 'soul' so that when you die the only stuff that gets left is junk in your inventory but that could also include quest items and whatnot. You also lose a certain percentage of xp but if you get your body back you get 85% back.

So yeah no carebears.

I've heard carebears thrown around about some stupid things but corpse runs takes the cake. They are the most annoying, time waisting, artificial difficulty increasing, stupid ass game mechanics ever.
    I can't wait to be stuck with the decision of going to retrieve my body before it vanishes or going to work.
    God, corpse runs. Talk about two steps forward, one step back.

Accualt on
    edited February 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    Shogun wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

So yeah no carebears.

I've heard carebears thrown around about some stupid things but corpse runs takes the cake. They are the most annoying, time waisting, artificial difficulty increasing, stupid ass game mechanics ever.
    I can't wait to be stuck with the decision of going to retrieve my body before it vanishes or going to work.

No kidding. Corpse runs don't make the game any more difficult, it just makes the game more annoying. And "carebears" hardly applies here.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited February 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    Shogun wrote:
    Accualt wrote:

So yeah no carebears.

It isn't going to vanish. And as someone pointed out earlier you can summon it at the altar you pop at for some cash.

I could sit here and argue with you why there absolutely should be a dealth penalty as well as a corpse run but I'm going to simplify it into the game is going to be more challenging than what you're used to. If you don't enjoy the challenge please don't play. That was the key feature that made EverQuest a great game socially. It weeded out a lot of shitfucks. I am not calling you a shitfuck, but if it really does frustrate you (and it frustrates me as well, but in a good way) by all means pass this one up.

Shogun on
    edited February 2007
    Oh there should be a death penalty but their should never be a corpse run.
    EQ was full of "shitfucks," some of which would charge you to go retrieve your corpse. Corpse Exploitation =/= Awesome social feature.
    Corpse runs are not challenges, they are time sinks. If the fee for summoning the corpse is inconsequential I won't complain, just look at death as carrying an EXP and Financial penalty.

Accualt on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    im not sure how much it cost back in beta but I never worried bout it. just make sure your bags aren't carrying too much , + the alters are in areas close enough that corpse runs dont hurt so bad.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You can lose experience, eh? Can you lose levels (like in Final Fantasy XII?*)? Because, you know, fuck that.

* "LEVEL DOWN" .. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Dondums on
    internet
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    Oh there should be a death penalty but their should never be a corpse run.
    EQ was full of "shitfucks," some of which would charge you to go retrieve your corpse. Corpse Exploitation =/= Awesome social feature.
    Corpse runs are not challenges, they are time sinks. If the fee for summoning the corpse is inconsequential I won't complain, just look at death as carrying an EXP and Financial penalty.

There was a lot of stuff fucked up about EQs social economy. Such as paying for PoM and SoW when it could just be a courtesy.

Corpse runs do indeed suck and that is part of what led me to quitting EQ. That and not being able to get past level 40. I made it to 41 once and lost the level.

You don't level down in Vanguard, but you can accumulate xp debt.

Fellhand on
  • cuellarcuellar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I could use a trial too if possible. I'd like to at least play the game for a week before I slap down the $50. I have a high end machine, so that probably will help.

PM me please, or e-mail me at tavinder.hare@gmail.com

Thanks!

-Cuellar

cuellar on
    "Fuck newbies. They deserve it for not being high enough level to fight back." - TDL
  • BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The game is available via download for $41.99 on newegg.com if anyone is interested in saving a few $$$.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681550803SF

Binny on
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Had an interesting bug happen today - I had just bought a bunch of bind stones and soulbound all my gear, then went off and got myself wtfpwnd in some library dungeon. I go to get some quest items out of my corpse, and, low and behold - all of the gear I bound has been duplicated and is now both on my person, and on my corpse.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • NionNion Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If anyone has a spare trial, PM me. I was in the beta, but stopped playing because they'd sold out and changed the adventuring to mimic WoW. I kinda hope they've pulled off a miracle and made Vanguard a good game between when I left and release, because the crafting is awesome. :P

Nion on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I missed out on the beta and was wondering I know its 'more hardcore' than say WoW but I was curious if there is any sort of solo game or is it more like EQ1 where 'certain classes' can solo some but otherwise its a LFG game?

powersurge on
  • mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    So I missed out on the beta and was wondering I know its 'more hardcore' than say WoW but I was curious if there is any sort of solo game or is it more like EQ1 where 'certain classes' can solo some but otherwise its a LFG game?

The game is very oriented towards grouping but soloing is possible. They have these bulletin boards at various outposts thoughout the game called Missive Boards and they give out solo quests that you can repeat forever, usually simple things such as go kill 10 of monster X. once you finish you get a completed missive scroll which you can turn in for rewards. you can turn them in in increments of 1, 5, and 10 with better rewards the more you turn in.

as far as I can tell, these are going to be the lifeblood of the soloer. the xp slows down so much once you hit your teens, quests and missives are going to be the way to go.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm still downloading the patches, so I haven't tried the game yet... I did have one question though. Did anyone else who picked up the Collector's Edition notice noxious fumes coming from the box? I'm not sure if it's binding glue or the dye on the cloth map, but I have had a serious headache for most of the day since I opened the box.

(I'm airing it outside, currently)

Avenrosh on
  • The PrimeThe Prime regular
    edited February 2007
    Is there an official PA server yet? I'm playing on Woefeather, but don't want to get too dedicated to any one character until PA adopts a server.

The Prime on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    sounds like flamehammer is the server to be on. I'm curious as to what class's seem to be most needed in the guild right now. I'm considering picking this up in the coming weeks.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    yeah it seems like Flamehammer is the server....and I'd advise sticking to one continent for now as well since travel is such a pain. Thestra seems to be the biggest and most populated. I started on Kojan but that was like a ghost town. Qalia didnt seem too bad, but once I got to Thestra I found it much easier to get a group.

Also, I don't think there has been a guild formed yet has there? I know we were all talking about it before the forums went down...not sure if it ever happened.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • The PrimeThe Prime regular
    edited February 2007
    Looks like I'll be rolling on Flamehammer.

Too bad my Raki Disciple won't get to see any more action, those little guys are fun.

The Prime on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Carebears are people afraid to play on a PvP server.

Stop trying to use it to describe people who don't like timesinks.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is it ironic that "carebear" is one of those words that makes me want to stab people in the face? Cause I hate that word.

Scooter on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I rolled a Vulmane Dreadknight on Flamehammer, named Vishni. My schedule at work makes playtime erratic, though.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, I've still got the beta installed on my computer, and I was hoping someone could throw me a free trial key. I've been waiting to try this game out, but I don't want to drop $50 on it to ascertain its quality...I enjoyed some aspects of the beta, but others were seriously sub-par.

So if anyone could PM me a key, that would be fantastic. You can patch the beta version up to retail, right?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.