As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Classic Megaman Appreciation Thread

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sure, those other Mega Man covers are pretty good.

Are they as good as Game Over's, though?

No, no they aren't.

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01224/

Enter annihilation
    No turning back
    CATACLYSMIC CLASH!!!

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    I am in the assasins guild at my uni, this is my weapon of choice -
    b00020lym601a3t7dp7ij54rk2.jpg

I still need two more of those.
    d_b wrote:
    LewieP wrote:
    [img][/img]
    Ha, I have one of those, but it's the X arm. It just shoots these crappy little darts, but I got it for like 5 bucks and it's super cool.

I'd like the X one more if it covered more than just the hand.
    The last boss of Mega Man 7 is the devil. Wily must have been really pissed off that he was sent to jail in Mega Man 6.

I find the Freeze Cracker reduces his difficulty significantly, since you can sort of aim it upwards (at an angle). Go in with full stock and you're good.
    People complain about the last boss of X3 all the time and I found him to be incredibly easy. Just keep running under then behind him and fire just slightly over his head. His missles are easy to dodge and the laser shows you where its going to fire.

I found it difficult at first due to the extremely narrow hit detection box you have to breach; I actually tried shooting EVERYTHING on him, including the head, without doing any damage the first time I rented it.

I read somewhere that it was in fact the head, and just kept at it. It was more difficult in the sense that it can be hard to get a direct hit on it, but once you know for sure what to do, it gets easier.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I like me some Mega Man, but I have never, ever, ever beaten one. Today, he reminds me how much I suck at video games. Tight music though.

Ditto. The robot masters stages I can usually handle (although I cannot describe how much I hate those parts where you have to jump on a bunch of disappearing/reappearing blocks), but the Wily stages? Forget about it.

I decided to fire up Mega Man 1 (Gamecube Collection) the other day and was doing pretty good up until the Wily level. Suffice it to say I remembered why I used to throw my NES controllers accross the room as a kid.

It's worth having the collection, though, just to run through the stages every once in a while (that shit is like platformer boot camp) and take in the great music (personal fave is Magnet Man's stage).

shyguy on
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    b00020lym601a3t7dp7ij54rk2.jpg

I still need two more of those.
    d_b wrote:
    LewieP wrote:
    [img][/img]
    Ha, I have one of those, but it's the X arm. It just shoots these crappy little darts, but I got it for like 5 bucks and it's super cool.

I'd like the X one more if it covered more than just the hand.
    The last boss of Mega Man 7 is the devil. Wily must have been really pissed off that he was sent to jail in Mega Man 6.

I find the Freeze Cracker reduces his difficulty significantly, since you can sort of aim it upwards (at an angle). Go in with full stock and you're good.
    People complain about the last boss of X3 all the time and I found him to be incredibly easy. Just keep running under then behind him and fire just slightly over his head. His missles are easy to dodge and the laser shows you where its going to fire.

I found it difficult at first due to the extremely narrow hit detection box you have to breach; I actually tried shooting EVERYTHING on him, including the head, without doing any damage the first time I rented it.

I read somewhere that it was in fact the head, and just kept at it. It was more difficult in the sense that it can be hard to get a direct hit on it, but once you know for sure what to do, it gets easier.

It's not just the head, it's the top third of the head. The other parts are blocked by his shoulder armor.

This is made worse by the fact that a fully charged shot in X3 is hideously slow, and you have to be in the air or on the wall to be high enough to nail him. If he moves up or down withen the three seconds after you shoot, you will not hit him. Thus the easiet way to hit him is with a single-level (single green shot) charge, except that does pitiful damage. :x

His attacks are pretty lame though. Giant screen-sized robot shoots tiny circular mines and itty-bitty missiles.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm trying to beat Megaman Powered Up with Roll. Anyone else done it yet? I'm thinking the fight-all-the-bosses-in-a-row thing will be nigh impossible with no special weapons and no range.

I love this game. It's rapidly becoming my favorite portable game of all time. Man I would kill for Megaman 2 to get the same treatment.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm trying to beat Megaman Powered Up with Roll. Anyone else done it yet? I'm thinking the fight-all-the-bosses-in-a-row thing will be nigh impossible with no special weapons and no range.

Me.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ah yes Mega Man. That series is has and always will be one of my top 10 favorite game series of all time. I grabbed up every Mega Man game I could get as a kid and I still love them today.

There was a "Rip off" game game by Vic Tokai Called "The Krion conquest" Where their "Mega Man" was a witch and you started the game with all your weapons instead of acquiring them from the Bosses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq7vEpHBHoU

I also <3 the Minibosses Mega Man 2 Medley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtkaTq7Ywrw

Artoria on
    edited February 2007
    His attacks are pretty lame though. Giant screen-sized robot shoots tiny circular mines and itty-bitty missiles.

Don't forget the Flashlight of Death.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I used the health bars a rulers when wall sliding to figure out when to shoot. It made sense to me and work really damn well.

StriderEdge on
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Yes. I was so frustrated with it, when [spoiler:cc32cdf0d6]Mega Man threatens to shoot him after you beat it, I was like fucking do it.[/spoiler:cc32cdf0d6]

I feel the same way. Once I found out where to shoot him, it was cake. He moves rather slow and his attacks are slow as well.

MiserableMirth on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    More like Metroid Man. :P

but isn't metroid gurl? :shock:

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Powered up is my favorite so far. I love how Capcom Gave all the robots quirky personalities ala Bob and George. Roll Refusing to lose to anyone, Iceman thinking he is a soldier, Cutman thinking he is a super Hero, Oil Man being a smooth talker, Gutsman being obsessed with his job and Fireman believing he is the ultimate force of justice. It just made the whole game so much more fun. I would love for Capcom to go back and make a Powered up 2

My favorite part of it was playing as Protoman though. I know he is completely game breaking but he's also my favorite character in the entire Mega Man universe. Hopefully Capcom will make a game that features him as the lead at some point in the future. there is so much potential for Awesome with him.

Artoria on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    elkatas wrote:
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    More like Metroid Man. :P

but isn't metroid gurl? :shock:

Watch out!

MegaTran!!!!

4rch3nemy on
    edited February 2007
    Pata wrote:

Me.

How'd you handle said moment?

Sidenote: I loved the exchange when you fight Oilman as Fireman. Fireman's like, hey buddy, fire burns oil, I'm gonna freakin' murder you! And then Oilman is like, well.... you're dumb and I have to fight you.

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Everyone having trouble with final Sigma in X3 is only having trouble with him because

[spoiler:7b2132d0a0]you don't have Zero's saber.[/spoiler:7b2132d0a0]

Seriously, piece of cake if you do.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2007
    SimBen wrote:
    Everyone having trouble with final Sigma in X3 is only having trouble with him because

[spoiler:6d2e00cbec]you don't have Zero's saber.[/spoiler:6d2e00cbec]

I avoid getting Zero's saber just so he can save the day at the end. There is no reason for Doppler to save the day! He's not hard anyways.

StriderEdge on
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    dragonsama wrote:
    Powered up is my favorite so far. I love how Capcom Gave all the robots quirky personalities ala Bob and George. Roll Refusing to lose to anyone, Iceman thinking he is a soldier, Cutman thinking he is a super Hero, Oil Man being a smooth talker, Gutsman being obsessed with his job and Fireman believing he is the ultimate force of justice. It just made the whole game so much more fun. I would love for Capcom to go back and make a Powered up 2.
    Funny, I hated all of that.

And considering how badly the game sold and Inafune's own remarks, a sequel is unlikely.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
    edited February 2007
    dragonsama wrote:
    Powered up is my favorite so far. I love how Capcom Gave all the robots quirky personalities ala Bob and George. Roll Refusing to lose to anyone, Iceman thinking he is a soldier, Cutman thinking he is a super Hero, Oil Man being a smooth talker, Gutsman being obsessed with his job and Fireman believing he is the ultimate force of justice. It just made the whole game so much more fun. I would love for Capcom to go back and make a Powered up 2.

Not to menchion Ice Man had some multiple personality disorders going on.

StriderEdge on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    dragonsama wrote:
    My favorite part of it was playing as Protoman though. I know he is completely game breaking but he's also my favorite character in the entire Mega Man universe. Hopefully Capcom will make a game that features him as the lead at some point in the future. there is so much potential for Awesome with him.

Bass and Zero already got lead parts, it's a shame Proto Man's always a secret/bonus character.

Wearingglasses on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was kinda late to the party, played X first. I do love that game though. The old ones are too bitchy for me now, and I prefer the "powered-up" gameplay, with massive pink frame-rate-death shots, sliding, wall-jumping and the like.

Though I may love the music more than the game. Spark Mandrill anyone? Shit, every time my roommate and I set out to learn a song we can play as a pseudo-band, we always just end up covering MMX. I love playing the lead guitar from Storm Eagle's stage.

LoneIgadzra on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    skyfire wrote:
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    Wouldn't it be sweet to play a MetroidVania style Megaman? It remains my dream to do so in the next 5 years.

They're getting closer to being MetroidVanias but they aren't quite there, right?

Please stfu. Metroid and Castlevania are NOTHING alike.

A MegaMan done like a Metorid OR a Castlevania...hmm you might be onto somthing there?

You...You know what the metroidvanias are, right? The castlevania games with the exploration stylings of Metroid? That's what he's referring to. You know, SotN, CotM, HoD, AoS, DoS and PoR?

Wasn't Megaman ZX basically a Megavania? I recall it being so. Free roaming areas connected to each other forming a large map, backtracking, teleporters to more distant areas of the map, Bosses in little boss rooms you could go back and visit if you want... A sword...

There were different zones, and you were pretty unrestricted, except for a few doors you needed keys from. Ultimately, I hesitate to call it a metroidvania, because the levels are still largely horizontal, whereas Metroid and Castlevania games typically have a larger ratio of vert to horizontal movement.

Delzhand on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I still think Zero is a reincarnated/reactivated ProtoMan. He's got the Yellow cape and everything, Man...

Also:

www.mmhp.net

Yeah.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Classic Megaman games are so much better than the 'X' series and everything that followed it (except for Powered Up, if only it was more difficult). The X games killed my buzz.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited February 2007
    Gah, Iceman is unbeatable playing as Roll. You have to be next to him to hit him, but every tap to the left or right sends her sliding right into him. Any advice?

Also, does anyone know if you get anything for beating every stage on every skill level with every character? The game keeps reminding me how far away from that goal I am, so there must be something for it, right?

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I still think Zero is a reincarnated/reactivated ProtoMan. He's got the Yellow cape and everything, Man...

Also:

www.mmhp.net

Yeah.

HE'S A GODDAMN ROBOT BUILT BY WILY, NOT A DAMN REACTIVATED PROTOMAN. PROTOMAN HAS A FUCKING SCARF, ZERO HAS HAIR TO HIS ASS. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. ANGER! RAGE AND FURIOUS FURY! GRRRRR!

But yeah, I'm more of an X fan than a Classic fan, since I started with X5.

yalborap on
    edited February 2007

Yes. I was so frustrated with it, when [spoiler:bed9c15d23]Mega Man threatens to shoot him after you beat it, I was like fucking do it.[/spoiler:bed9c15d23]

Incidently, that was a US-only addition.
    SimBen wrote:

[spoiler:bed9c15d23]you don't have Zero's saber.[/spoiler:bed9c15d23]

It helps, though you still have to hit him JUST right...
    yalborap wrote:

Also:

www.mmhp.net

Yeah.

HE'S A GODDAMN ROBOT BUILT BY WILY, NOT A DAMN REACTIVATED PROTOMAN. PROTOMAN HAS A FUCKING SCARF, ZERO HAS HAIR TO HIS ASS. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. ANGER! RAGE AND FURIOUS FURY! GRRRRR!

But yeah, I'm more of an X fan than a Classic fan, since I started with X5.

That, and Zero was under construction while Proto Man was still running around.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That too.

yalborap on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    And the shield. Don't forget the shield.

Wearingglasses on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i love sites like that.

damn I really like megaman a lot more than my game collection would make it seem.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Variable wrote:
    damn I really like megaman a lot more than my game collection would make it seem.

Limed for emphasis.

Everytime I want to buy a Megaman game something else pulls me away. It's not that Megaman is necessarily worse, it's just that my attention span requires something with more substance (read: longevity).

I still pull out the classic NES and have a go at least once a year, though. ;)

4rch3nemy on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The music in the megaman series is downright some of the best NES and SNES of all time, right up there with Chrono Trigger. I'm sure everybody on this site knows about this place, so this is probably pointless. But in case there is one person browsing this thread who hasn't:

OC Remixes

Nocturne on
    edited February 2007
    I wonder where the mega man franchise will go, and if we will get another classic Mega Man game. A lot games faced challenges with the move from 2d to 3d, but Mega Man is up there with the hardest if you want to retain any of the old MM feel.

I think it has potential on the Wii. One could move Mega with the control stick and jump with the A button while pointing and firing with the Wiimoteand B button. It wouldn't be the tradition shooter set up, which is good for MM. Think of Zelda TP with the fairy pointer, place it over an enemy and press the B to fire.

Just giving out thoughts. I miss Mega Man and MMX games, I haven't been to captivated by the newer mega man games.

MiserableMirth on
  • Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm still waiting for Megaman Legends 3. How was Tron Bonne? Never did play that one.

Lightor216 on
  • ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Inafune's all but announced a Wii Mega Man game, anyway. I doubt it will be the classic series, but it's definitely something.

First he says "The only system I can see putting Mega Man on is the Wii."

Then he says "Lolz, I'm making another Mega Man game."

Then he says "I'm making an unrevealed Wii game!"

2+2=6

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
    edited February 2007
    I wonder where the mega man franchise will go, and if we will get another classic Mega Man game. A lot games faced challenges with the move from 2d to 3d, but Mega Man is up there with the hardest if you want to retain any of the old MM feel.

I think it has potential on the Wii. One could move Mega with the control stick and jump with the A button while pointing and firing with the Wiimoteand B button. It wouldn't be the tradition shooter set up, which is good for MM. Think of Zelda TP with the fairy pointer, place it over an enemy and press the B to fire.

Just giving out thoughts. I miss Mega Man and MMX games, I haven't been to captivated by the newer mega man games.

Well the classic sidescrolling Mega Man games don't sell like they once did. I know alot of people hate on Battle Network alot but it was a cash cow for Capcom. The Zero games and ZX sold modestly but the Battle Network titles sold in the millions on nearly every entry. So where are they headed? Right now the only 2 series that are still active are ZX and Ryusei. ZX sold about what the Zero series did and has a new game announced. Ryusei didn't perform as well as hoped as it failed to hit the same numbers as Battle Network titles, still Capcom seems like they are going to persue it further.

As for continuing the classic and X series I doubt it will happen, and in Xs case I hope it doesn't. Capcom recently tried to do just that with the PSP remakes and they both sold horribly. Putting more sequels on the X series is a bad idea considering it was supposed to end on X5.

StriderEdge on
    edited February 2007

Well the classic sidescrolling Mega Man games don't sell like they once did. I know alot of people hate on Battle Network alot but it was a cash cow for Capcom. The Zero games and ZX sold modestly but the Battle Network titles sold in the millions on nearly every entry. So where are they headed? Right now the only 2 series that are still active are ZX and Ryusei. ZX sold about what the Zero series did and has a new game announced. Ryusei didn't perform as well as hoped as it failed to hit the same numbers as Battle Network titles, still Capcom seems like they are going to persue it further.

As for continuing the classic and X series I doubt it will happen, and in Xs case I hope it doesn't. Capcom recently tried to do just that with the PSP remakes and they both sold horribly. Putting more sequels on the X series is a bad idea considering it was supposed to end on X5.

That's a good point. What about converting it to 3d? That might add some life to the franchise. It could be cool, or it could follow the footsteps of Sonic...

MiserableMirth on
    edited February 2007

That's a good point. What about converting it to 3d? That might add some life to the franchise. It could be cool, or it could follow the footsteps of Sonic...

Well X7 tried to do that for the X series and that was a pretty big failure. As for the classic games going 3D? I don't see it happening. I believe Inafune has mentioned that if he does make a Mega Man 9 that it will be a sidescroller. Though I'd need to look that one up again.

StriderEdge on
    edited February 2007
    I rather enjoyed the 2.5D of Mega Man X8, personally.

And if they were to end it, I'm fine with that, but not now. Give a little more closure, please. X8 ended pretty openly, and Axl isn't around in MMZ, so I'd like to know what happened.

As for MHX and MMPU, they really ought to port those. Releasing them on the PSP was a huge mistake. Wii and PS2 would probably do quite a bit better.

If they REALLY wanted to hedge their bets, release both together on one disc. I'm sure that would help them recover their investment, at least.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've never finished an X game. Beat the entire NES run, and later the entire MegaMan Collection, own the X collection, and got past all the robot masters, but then that fucking snowboard. I stopped.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I rather enjoyed the 2.5D of Mega Man X8, personally.

And if they were to end it, I'm fine with that, but not now. Give a little more closure, please. X8 ended pretty openly, and Axl isn't around in MMZ, so I'd like to know what happened.

As for MHX and MMPU, they really ought to port those. Releasing them on the PSP was a huge mistake. Wii and PS2 would probably do quite a bit better.

If they REALLY wanted to hedge their bets, release both together on one disc. I'm sure that would help them recover their investment, at least.

I wish people would stop trying to tie recent X series games to the Zero series. They're being made entriely without consideration for each other's plots.

Besides, doesn't [realspoiler:9644608264] the fact that Omega is Zero's original body, yet looks like MMZ Zero [/realspoiler:9644608264] suggest that MMZ wound up using some sort of retconned version of the X storyline? Wasn't that what MHX was supposed to be anyway? I thought it was originally going to stop at X6 and lead into Zero so Inafune could have everything the way he wanted.

Besides, I'm pretty sure by now the overarching plot is far too full of holes without some sort of retconning.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg