As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommended 24inch Monitors?

13»

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If I end up buying those Nvidia 3D glasses I might re-approach the new monitor arena, but for a 24" 120hz monitor.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If I end up buying those Nvidia 3D glasses I might re-approach the new monitor arena, but for a 24" 120hz monitor.

I don't think there is one at the moment.
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11322&Itemid=75

Rook on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rook wrote: »

I don't think there is one at the moment.
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11322&Itemid=75

Fine 23.5, it's actually what I was talking about anyway from seeing that exact news story.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I want to bump this thread, I'm looking for a 24inch monitor but I saw this http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=207540840 on the last page and I'm not clear on whether it's a good buy or not. it looks great. I'd be using it as an all purpose monitor but I'm not much of a gamer so that's really secondary to whether or not colors would look at least decent (not clear on the whole TN situation or what that even means)

otherwise I'm looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001275&Tpk=T240 and obviously more size for less money seems appealing but I would rather wait to hear from people who know quite a bit more than I do.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Just ordered a LG 24" lcd myself, a W2442PA

16:9 1080P VGA,DVI,HMDI.

hopefully turns out well, apparently it uses the exact same pannel as the BenQ 1080p 24" and it's generally regarded as good so im all set I imagine.

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BaBump. So I was kinda undecided between HP w2408h and the Benq G2400w, because last time I checked the prices were the same, but now, Benq is 199€ and the HP is 389€. So... you guys think the Benq is a good choice or is there a better 24 inch solution?

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • queuewindowqueuewindow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can someone explain to me the importance of monitor response time?

queuewindow on
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

The faster (16 ms or > bad, less than 16 ms = good) the response, the less chance you have of experiencing blurring and ghosting. Since various manufacturers report their specs in different ways (all under "optimal conditions", some gray-to-gray, some from black to white and back, etc) it's sometimes hard to tell just how well a monitor will perform based on posted specs alone - so stick to reviews.

Generally speaking, lets say my monitor has a posted response time of 5 ms - which means probably more like 8 - 10 ms the way I run it, I won't get any blur or ghosting playing something like Fallout 3 at max settings. But a cheap-o monitor that squeks by with a 16 ms rating will likely get you some ugly effects when you're looking at a busy game or video.

Teth on
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can someone answe me? :P

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
    edited April 2009
    Teth wrote: »

The faster (16 ms or > bad, less than 16 ms = good) the response, the less chance you have of experiencing blurring and ghosting. Since various manufacturers report their specs in different ways (all under "optimal conditions", some gray-to-gray, some from black to white and back, etc) it's sometimes hard to tell just how well a monitor will perform based on posted specs alone - so stick to reviews.

Generally speaking, lets say my monitor has a posted response time of 5 ms - which means probably more like 8 - 10 ms the way I run it, I won't get any blur or ghosting playing something like Fallout 3 at max settings. But a cheap-o monitor that squeks by with a 16 ms rating will likely get you some ugly effects when you're looking at a busy game or video.

Thanks!

queuewindow on
    edited May 2009
    The_Spaniard on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have seen some crazy deals on that site. I wonder how for reals they are. If legit that is a damn good price for that monitor. In my relatively uneducated opinion.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    not enough votes here for Dell Ultrasharp...

It's basically a Samsung++

I've had 3 refurbs and 0 dead pixels. I'm pretty sure they don't resell ones with dead pixels. They will have a few smudges, but hey. You can't beat 150 dollars for a 20 inch world class screen. I think the 24's are down to 170.

Jasconius on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Teth wrote: »

But don't expensive monitors often have worse response times than cheap TN ones?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so on a related note i'm considering buying this as it seems like a rad deal: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-7339&dgc=EM&cid=40553&lid=1043130

is this a good deal or not, tech people?

RubberAC on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I'm thinking of taking advantage of this deal that I found on slickdeals:

Samsung 2333SW 23" Widescreen 1920x1080 5ms LCD Monitor w/ DVI $161

Right now I have a 20" 1800x1200 samsung TFT which I find to be nice enough. I bought that at a store after my old CRT died and I think it got mediocre reviews so apparently I'm not one of those sensitive to the limitations of cheap LCD monitors.

What I can't decide is whether or not I should buy this or wait until I build a new computer when W7 comes out and then maybe buy a 1920x1200 monitor which would be an upgrade in the number of pixels instead of just moving from 4x3 to widescreen.

So my two questions to help me decide are
    1) How much of a pain is gaming on a 1080p monitor with older games?
    2) If anyone has upgraded from 1080p to 1920x1200, how much of a noticeable upgrade was it as far gaming was concerned?

#1 is probably the biggest issue since I'm not that much of a graphics whore and by not going to such a resolution I'll save money on both the monitor and the video card needed to handle it.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited May 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »

I've had 3 refurbs and 0 dead pixels. I'm pretty sure they don't resell ones with dead pixels. They will have a few smudges, but hey. You can't beat 150 dollars for a 20 inch world class screen. I think the 24's are down to 170.

Damn, these look really enticing. Anyone care to comment on their tech specs?

queuewindow on
    edited May 2009

5ms response time with an above average dot pitch... IMO if you buy refurbished then per dollar it's the beefiest monitor you can buy.

Jasconius on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I'm thinking of taking advantage of this deal that I found on slickdeals:

Samsung 2333SW 23" Widescreen 1920x1080 5ms LCD Monitor w/ DVI $161

Right now I have a 20" 1800x1200 samsung TFT which I find to be nice enough. I bought that at a store after my old CRT died and I think it got mediocre reviews so apparently I'm not one of those sensitive to the limitations of cheap LCD monitors.

What I can't decide is whether or not I should buy this or wait until I build a new computer when W7 comes out and then maybe buy a 1920x1200 monitor which would be an upgrade in the number of pixels instead of just moving from 4x3 to widescreen.

So my two questions to help me decide are
    1) How much of a pain is gaming on a 1080p monitor with older games?
    2) If anyone has upgraded from 1080p to 1920x1200, how much of a noticeable upgrade was it as far gaming was concerned?

#1 is probably the biggest issue since I'm not that much of a graphics whore and by not going to such a resolution I'll save money on both the monitor and the video card needed to handle it.

Gaming hasn't been an issue for me at 1920x1080, but with older games you're going to be stuck with interpolated resolutions. Annoying but realistically not a huge deal if it's the difference between being able to play a game and not play a game.

That said, the 2333 is not spectacular in terms of viewing angles or image quality --compared to units that cost a lot more than 161$. I've seen a good number of them in stores recently, so maybe it's worth taking a quick peek around your Best Buy type places to see if there's one you can see in person before you buy. Again, though: from your criteria, I doubt this monitor will offend your sensibilities. It's cheap, it's 1920x1080, and it doesn't ghost in games or anything.

Ego on
    Erik
    edited May 2009

5ms response time with an above average dot pitch... IMO if you buy refurbished then per dollar it's the beefiest monitor you can buy.

This is the first I've heard of dot pitch. And is 5ms the advertised response time or the real one?

queuewindow on
    edited May 2009

This is the first I've heard of dot pitch. And is 5ms the advertised response time or the real one?

As far as I know it's the real one. I use them for gaming and animation and I've had 0 issues. Dot pitch is a descriptor of sharpness. Not many manufacturers list it, because it doesn't sound impressive and smaller numbers are better.

I don't remember the exact number but they are called UltraSharps for a reason.

Also, UltraSharps are bright as hell. if you put an UltraSharp next to a regular old Dell monitor, you will see the difference. It's quite nice.

Jasconius on
  • kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Just bought a BenQ E2400HD. I'm liking it a lot. It was a little too bright at first, but after tweaking the settings a bit, it's where I want it.

kitch on
    edited May 2009

As far as I know it's the real one. I use them for gaming and animation and I've had 0 issues. Dot pitch is a descriptor of sharpness. Not many manufacturers list it, because it doesn't sound impressive and smaller numbers are better.

Also, UltraSharps are bright as hell. if you put an UltraSharp next to a regular old Dell monitor, you will see the difference. It's quite nice.

Now that you've mentioned it, the sharpness on my monitor has been bugging the shit out of me. It's a budget Acer screen though so I guess that's to be expected. How does the dot pitch on the Dell compare to other monitors in the same price range?

queuewindow on
  • LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have a dell 23 inches monitor which I bought about 6 months ago.
    It's 2048x1152 and has built-in webcam and microphone. It's great for games.

Also, it has an HDMI input.

Logicow on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I need a 24" HD for use with a 360 and PS3 and a future computer. How far away can you get from one of those and comfortably play or watch movies? I'm looking at the BenQ 2400HD as a possible option since it has 1080p and all the inputs I need.

Esh on
    edited June 2009
    I really want to get a 24" monitor, but I don't know which to get. I've found a few deals and both of these look really nice. Lil help on deciding which of these two is the best for me?

http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/cheap-samsung-2433bw-24-inch-lcd-monitor-deals/753

http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/cheap-dell-g2410-24-inch-full-hd-led-lcd-monitor-deals/1190

The_Spaniard on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    edited June 2009

Now that you've mentioned it, the sharpness on my monitor has been bugging the shit out of me. It's a budget Acer screen though so I guess that's to be expected. How does the dot pitch on the Dell compare to other monitors in the same price range?

I'm not sure I haven't researched many other high end monitors since the Ultrasharps come on such high recommendation from others I know.

If you want to find a comparison, I'm pretty sure Samsung is the actual hardware maker for the Ultrasharps, so they might have their own spinoff.

The big difference is you can buy refurb from Dell which guarantees no dead pixels.

Jasconius on
    edited June 2009
    I really want to get a 24" monitor, but I don't know which to get. I've found a few deals and both of these look really nice. Lil help on deciding which of these two is the best for me?

http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/cheap-samsung-2433bw-24-inch-lcd-monitor-deals/753

http://www.techdealdigger.com/pr/cheap-dell-g2410-24-inch-full-hd-led-lcd-monitor-deals/1190

I just ordered the Samsung, if you decide to get it, DON'T get it from Buy! Go to pricegrabber.com and check the lowest price they have listed, that site also has the 30 dollar rebate and is about 45 bucks cheaper.

The_Spaniard on