As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magical Mystery Tour 2009! Early discussion and evaluation!

VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in PAX Archive

CURRENT ACTIVITY

"What do you want out of the MMT" Poll

Participate in the poll! We want to know what is the one thing you want to get out of the Magical Mystery Tour the most, so that we can use that to determine the potential locations that would be good to go to, the amount of time we spend at a location, how far out of town we're willing to go etc...

Also, participate in the discussion below. We will be talking about potential locations, attempting to fix difficulties that we ran into during the last MMT, and discussing new logistical improvements to the tour!

ABOUT THE MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR

Hello everybody! It's time again to start planning the Magical Mystery Tour!

What is it?

The Magical Mystery Tour is a community-driven tour (on foot as well as by car) that was started last year so that people who get into town a few days early can see the sights of Seattle while socializing with fellow PAXers!

Everything about the Magical Mystery Tour is as democratic and community involved as we can make it: you vote on where you want to go, volunteers from among our numbers will serve as drivers, and the tour itself is run by the people!

This year, the tour will be led by our fellow forumer MetaverseNomad, who ran our unofficial Underground area leg of the tour last year! Eye-shuh will be lending a hand with implementation and logistics as well! Thank you both for volunteering your time and effort since I won't be there for the bulk of the tour itself this year! =(

When is it?

Like last year, we intend for the Magical Mystery Tour to take place on the Wednesday and Thursday before PAX. Therefore, the tour will be the days of:

September 2nd -3rd, 2009

We meet up early in the morning so that we can all hit the first event together, and then spend the rest of the day exploring the city of Seattle and its outlying areas!

Where do we go?

That, my dear PAXer, is up to you! The only events set in stone are the meetup with the Cross-Country Supertrip, the Pre-PAX Dinner, and the Pub Crawl (all taking place on Thursday afternoon and evening). Other than that, votes will be held leading up to the Magical Mystery Tour to determine where we will go!

What do you need from me now?

There are a few things you can do right now.

* Vote in the polls!
* Participate in the forum discussion!
* (If you were in on it last year) tell us what you thought of it, and how it can be improved!

How do I sign up?

If you know that you will be in town early and you know that you want to tour Seattle anyways, sign up and let us know here, and start participating in the discussion!

We need to know the following from you when you sign up. Please fill it out and PM it to me:

* # of people you're bringing along:
* Cell Phone Number:
* E-Mail address:
* Days attending: (Say Wednesday, Thursday, or both)
* Special Instructions: (If you can't meet us at the start of a given day but will meet us partway through, tell us when you plan to join up with the group here)
* (FOR DRIVERS)
* Can you Drive (Y/N):
* How many free spots are available in your car (if you can drive):
* What does your car look like (Make/model/color)?

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
VThornheart on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    So, before the poll opens up, I'd like to begin a discussion about what former MMTers felt were successful and unsuccessful parts of the trip last year, so we can improve on them. I made a pretty extensive list of both, and MetaverseNomad is currently adding to it... we'll be posting it up for discussion as soon as it's all done.

Last year's attendees: what did you think? What can we do to make it better? What must we hold on to?

Also, any newcomers interested in taking the tour: feel free to ask questions about the tour and join in on the discussion!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    MMT Poll go!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wanna go to aquarium!! It has fishes!!!!! FISHES.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    tehnakki wrote: »

And an awesome octopus that likes to climb out of his tank.

That was cool.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Also, ignore my vote in the results. I kind of voted in the excitement of having a new poll up, but since I wont' be meeting with the tour until it's basically over, my vote for this kind of thing probably shouldn't be weighed heavily.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Isnt the aquarium closed down now :(

Azazel on
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Azazel wrote: »
    Isnt the aquarium closed down now :(

It's the Odyssey Maritime Center that is closed down; the Seattle Aquarium is still open, as far as I know.

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If the Aquarium was closed I'd be really sad, it was one of the really neat places we went to last year =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    For the sports inclined, there is a Mariners/Angels game at 3:40 pm on Wednesday (Sept. 2). I plan on going to that with a friend that lives in Seattle, as well as any other friends from my group that want to go. The only problem is that it's a time sink, at least 3 hours Wednesday afternoon/evening, as well as getting to the stadium early.

Just throwing that out as a suggestion.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hmm, an interesting proposal. I hadn't even thought about sports in the tour... but perhaps! We could put it into the pool of events to vote for! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    algorythymalgorythym Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is one of the many awesome PAX Events that really made me wish I didn't already live in Seattle. All you out-of-towners should do this though. Seattle rocks. The Mariners (other than Ichiro) are not worth your attention however.

algorythym on
    algorythym.gif
    Someone let me algorhythm (steve_0990) into the PA Steam group
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A lot of in-towners came on the MMT just to have fun and hang out it seems last year! You should consider joining along! =) The people who lived in town that came along had a blast socializing with people (it seems =) ), and were able to really help those from out of town find where these locations were really at. For instance, I was driving in the car with Alex_Brewer, and he knew the town really well so we didn't even really have to look at the directions to know how to get places, which was awesome. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    mentok1982 wrote: »

And an awesome octopus that likes to climb out of his tank.

That was cool.

Octopus's are the coolest things ever. Even cooler than fishes!!

Really, I just want to see the aquarium...because once i get to the aquarium i won't want to leave :)

But I think it'll just be cool to hang out with people pre-pax

tehnakki on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    This year we have to make sure not to get to the Aquarium as it's closing =)

On a funny side note, my out-of-shape nature caught up with me right at the moment when we were running to get to the Aquarium before it closed. I got a charlie horse in both of my legs... I had forgotten about that until just now. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, I tried to just keep going (albeit at a slower pace =) ) This year, I need to start walking/jogging before PAX so I get more used to being on my feet. Even though I won't be on the MMT itself, PAX itself is a very "on your feet" event. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This year we have to make sure not to get to the Aquarium as it's closing =)

On a funny side note, my out-of-shape nature caught up with me right at the moment when we were running to get to the Aquarium before it closed. I got a charlie horse in both of my legs... I had forgotten about that until just now. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, I tried to just keep going (albeit at a slower pace =) ) This year, I need to start walking/jogging before PAX so I get more used to being on my feet. Even though I won't be on the MMT itself, PAX itself is a very "on your feet" event. =)

While you're training, you should also wear a backpack filled with weights. Then when you're just walking around, you'll feel light as a feather.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Specifically, this backpack:
    Star_Wars_Yoda-Backpack.jpg

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    lol! As long as the backpack doesn't lead me into a hollowed-out tree where I meet a robotic version of my father. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That and how heavy can things be when your using the force? o_O At that point you could walk around carrying a AT-ST and still be out of shape.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hmmm...
    If I can get enough money together, I will partake in this series of events.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Bambooza: Very good point!

Spawn: Excellent! =)

In other news, all I know's that steak tastes better when I take my steak tastes better pill.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i am totally down for helping too VT, where is the love!!!????!!?

anyways this year it should be fun again. last year i met cool people and found that donut place at pike place. this year i will come along for more of the tour then just the second half (besides the free movie)

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    s7arbuck! Man, it's been a while how're you doing?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I'm probably going to be able to provide transportative services this time around again, unless we're frantically busy at work (I'll book my vacation significantly far in advance that it shouldn't be a problem anyway, so I doubt it'll be a problem). Plus, I'm pretty sure Nomad will kill me if I don't :P

Hoping we can visit some new places, and revisit some old ones that we didn't have enough time to fully take in or that change regularly. I'd like to try and capture some natural history type stuff, too, if possible. There's an Asian art museum I haven't been to, and i'd love to actually make the underground tour this time :P

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yay! You rock ashridah =)

We need to start brainstorming some new possible locations. As you pointed out, the Asian Art Museum is a good example of one we didn't do last year.

Can anyone think of any other landmarks we didn't hit last year that you really wanted to see?

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ashridah wrote: »
    Plus, I'm pretty sure Nomad will kill me if I don't :P

You are quite right, sir!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yay! You rock ashridah =)

We need to start brainstorming some new possible locations. As you pointed out, the Asian Art Museum is a good example of one we didn't do last year.

Can anyone think of any other landmarks we didn't hit last year that you really wanted to see?

There's always the boeing museum of flight this time around, although I've been there once, I didn't get a chance to try the flight simulators.

There's also things like ferry rides, etc. (I'd love to cram everyone on the ferry ride that nomad and I went on the other day, it's hysterical, and shows off a few landmarks around lake union)

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ooh, those both sound like great ideas! I like them personally... I'm jealous of those who can go =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Any and all tourist-y places would be ideal, seeing as I'll be a bonafide tourist. And I do have a particular fondness for aquariums, so that's awesome! Probably a stupid question: that sporting event is which sport exactly? I'm all for experiencing American sport, it's definitely on the list. Can't get enough of football and rugby so keen to add more sports to obsess over :)

PAX UK so we can return the favour at some point anyone? ^_^

Frightfully English on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    PAX UK so we can return the favour at some point anyone? ^_^

I vote for this.

Also, it would be so fun to travel with all of you!! I'm already planning for PAX: East Coast!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yay! =) We're going to have so much fun out here in Boston =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    For the Boston Pax my dorm is gonna move our annual gaming competition to right before or after PAX, that way we can invite people to the MIT campus and share our love of ancient arcade games with confusing rules :)

tehnakki on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    For the Boston Pax my dorm is gonna move our annual gaming competition to right before or after PAX, that way we can invite people to the MIT campus and share our love of ancient arcade games with confusing rules :)

Haha. Yes, there definitely must be an East-coast MMT (ECMMT)
    someone needs to start a thread for that when the event gets closer.

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, you can bet I'll be running the East-Coast MMT, I called dibs on that from day 1 as a New Englander ;)=)

I definitely think tehnakki's idea is fantastic though, if we can we've got to get in on that! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bleck on Mariners. Baseball is not a fun sport to watch. The only cool thing about going is that you can use the download stations with your DS to get stats on each pitch and then send disturbing pre-made messages to people in random seats.

I can drive if NEEDED, but I would prefer not to since I'm going to be staying at the hostel and not have a reason to avoid scary 3am busing.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, you can bet I'll be running the East-Coast MMT, I called dibs on that from day 1 as a New Englander ;)=)

I definitely think tehnakki's idea is fantastic though, if we can we've got to get in on that! =)

And I'll totally help you out with the East-Coast MMT!! And the Third Annual Skendig Memorial Iron Gamer(TM) will be even more epic because it won't just be the forty of us who've played almost all the games already, we'll get to subject other poor souls to the torment!!

s320x240

tehnakki on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    We should be sure to greet the CCST again this year! That was super fun and a great place to trade buttons.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Woot! I'll meet you guys there! =) I can't wait to see you all again! =)

I want to learn how to play the saxophone so that I can provide musical accompaniment on the MMT, for like when we're walking around and such. Someone with actual musical talent should get on this, it would be awesome. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    We should be sure to greet the CCST again this year! That was super fun and a great place to trade buttons.

Heehee. We can setup a brigade of cardboard cutouts with CCST member faces or something as a greeting party :P

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ashridah wrote: »
    eye-shuh wrote: »

Heehee. We can setup a brigade of cardboard cutouts with CCST member faces or something as a greeting party :P

Then we have to all hide around the corner and pop out once they are inspecting the cardboard greeting party utterly confused.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    if you wanted it to be a surprise why would you post about it in the forums?

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
This discussion has been closed.