As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii New Play Control: Metroid Prime

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Oh god these ports..... They look too fantastic not to get. Super Mario Sunshine would be fucking awesome with the wiimote.

It...would?

Don't get me wrong, Sunshine was fucking awesome - but how could the Wiimote make it better? Galaxy only really uses it for Star Bits, and they're not in Sunshine.

Honestly, with the water canon, it would be more useful than in SMG.
    Edit: Beat'd

TubularLuggage on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    Oh god these ports..... They look too fantastic not to get. Super Mario Sunshine would be fucking awesome with the wiimote.

It...would?

Don't get me wrong, Sunshine was fucking awesome - but how could the Wiimote make it better? Galaxy only really uses it for Star Bits, and they're not in Sunshine.
    I guess aiming the water pack, but that's used in a decidedly small amount of 'missions'.

I can't say I got vbery far in the game but the water parts would work well with the wiimote. Everything else would be standard fare really.

Big Classy on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll add in the voice over for the US version this time.

Or take it out again and then add it for the Euro re-release

wha?

Euro version had voiceovers at certain parts that the US version did not.

When they updated Prime (fixed some sequence breaking) in the US, they stripped out the voice acting but kept it for the Euro version.

Really? I don't remember a voice at all? Another reason to buy it all over again!

edit: beaten by a minute! But I really don't remember any talking at alll.

Yeah it was in there. It also did not even slightly make up for the six months we had to wait after the American release. Or the removal of some of the sequence breaking stuff.

I'm still bitter.

To be fair, the Player's Choice US version of Prime and Prime 2 have sequence breaker fixes.

FyreWulff on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What, Voiceovers? WTF? Who the hell thought it needed them?

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Actually, now I think about it - the 'Recorded to Log Book' voice wasn't in the original American version either was it? Now that was nifty!

'Morph Ball Malfunction'...

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Actually, now I think about it - the 'Recorded to Log Book' voice wasn't in the original American version either was it? Now that was nifty!

I don't remember ANY voice acting in the first prime. At all. Got my US copy about 2 months after it launched.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited February 2009

Yep, the voice for scanning stuff is also Euro-only

FyreWulff on
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wonder if they'll fix up any more sequence breaks in this one? Retro pretty much 'fixed' something every time they re-released the game. Be interesting to see which revision of the game this port is built from.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Such a missed opportunity, bad Nintendo!

Yes. I will still buy it.

Edit: Oh god, the music /swoon

LewieP on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I rather not have movie voice over guy in my Metroid.

As for sequence breaking, maybe they'll get around to fixing Space Jump first.

Shady3011 on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    voices in general just don't belong in Metroid games beyond the delicious Samus death-scream.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow.. I'm the only one disappointed in these "New Play Control" games, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, playing Metroid Prime with the Wiimote should be fun, but I would prefer Metroid Prime 4. Or Legend of Zelda: Wiimote of Destiny or some such.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Given that the controls were what put me off the first two Primes, I believe I'll be buying this.

Xagarath on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, playing Metroid Prime with the Wiimote should be fun, but I would prefer Metroid Prime 4.

Well, considering Corruption was supposed to be the last in the Prime series, maybe not. At least not from Retro.

Speaking of, the heck's Retro doing lately, anyway?

Zxerol on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, playing Metroid Prime with the Wiimote should be fun, but I would prefer Metroid Prime 4.

Well, considering Corruption was supposed to be the last in the Prime series, maybe not. At least not from Retro.

Something. I think that is all we know.

Edit: Although according to IGN it is totally 100% "Man Icarus"

LewieP on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »

This.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've been playing Metroid Prime again recently, it's probably in my top 5 games. However, that's just the thing: it already plays just fine, and without visual or graphical upgrades, I probably won't be getting this.

At launch. Or new. Definetley used. After a few months and price droppage. Probably. I don't know why I'm even going to buy it but dammit Metroid.

Also, I'm still waiting for a new 2D console Metroid. Just look at the stuff they've done with Bionic Commando and Street Fighter, man that could be awesome.

Darlan on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've rented/borrowed Metroid Prime & Prime 2 so many times but I never finished either.

I think the Wii releases will finally be the time I finish them.

Here's hoping I can find MP3 after the first two come out for the Wii.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I remember not really feeling like I had any reason to get a Gamecube when it came out. Then one day I played a Metroid Prime demo at Best Buy and loved it. I got a Gamecube and Metroid Prime a few weeks later.

I'm not sure if I'll actually buy the Wii version, though. I already completed it two or three times already, and a MP3 control scheme isn't really going to entice me. It might get me to play through Metroid Prime 2, though, because I never could get through that game.

SteevL on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Speaking of those New Play Control games, when are Jungle Beat and Mario Tennis coming? God I want those so bad.
    And that Metroid Prime I guess.

EDIT: I too believe that Sunshine could use these wiimote controls.

Djiem on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    Speaking of those New Play Control games, when are Jungle Beat and Mario Tennis coming? God I want those so bad.

New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis comes out March 9th, same day as Pikmin.

Unsure about Jungle Beat.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ugh, on one hand, I never did play through MP1 or 2 on GC, despite owning both.
    On the other hand, I don't really want to encourage rehashing the same games over for a new console.
    On the other hand, I would really love to actually play through a Metroid game and see what all the fuss is about.
    On the other hand, I despise getting lost, repeatedly, which is why I never finished them before.
    On the other hand, it's Wii controls.
    On the other hand, it's money I still need to use to buy games like Boom Blox, Z&W, and many other games I haven't gotten yet.
    On the other hand, if there's a chance for something like this, I don't think I could resist.
    19073_metroid_prime_trilogy-v2.png

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    skeldare wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »

New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis comes out March 9th, same day as Pikmin.

Unsure about Jungle Beat.

Jungle Beat is already out in Japan, but the idea that it might come over here is almost enough to give me a boner. That game was fantastic, but I didn't like the "banana for health" mechanic, which they fixed with the remake. Also, I will be able to play it for extended periods of time without my hands feeling like shit.

Djiem on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    sex

Is that real? Like really real? Or is that just a mock?

Because I would hit that hard.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'd rather have a re-make of Super Metroid side scroller action on the wii with updated graphics.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know you're doing remakes right when the worst game in the list is Mario Power Tennis, an awesome game in its own right.

Also, my poor GCN was ignored so terribly by the mass market last time that I bet there are tons of people out there who have never played any of these fine games.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited February 2009
    On the other hand, I don't really want to encourage rehashing the same games over for a new console.
    On the other hand, I would really love to actually play through a Metroid game and see what all the fuss is about.
    On the other hand, I despise getting lost, repeatedly, which is why I never finished them before.
    On the other hand, it's money I still need to use to buy games like Boom Blox, Z&W, and many other games I haven't gotten yet.
    [/IMG]

Well, think of it this way

It's releasing a good game to a much bigger userbase than the GC version could have ever had. If "core gamers" really want to see these type of games, for a vast majority of Wii owners this will be a new game.

FyreWulff on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    On the other hand, if there's a chance for something like this, I don't think I could resist.

Rehashing is going to happen if you encourage it or not. Conker's Bad Fur Day is an example of this, as is Resident Evil 4.

Also

Its hard to get lost in a Prime game. Simply because ever since post-Super Metroid, the Metriod games have held your hand, and told you were to go on your map, highlighting the room to get to.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think this is lame. The enemies are for the most part gigantic targets with no location specific damage, which you shoot with gigantic balls of energy. Being able to manually aim at your enemies is essentially pointless, with the way Prime 1 and 2 are designed.

Sure, there are a few instances where the FPS part of your brain tells you that you need full maneuverability, like when a boss rolls past you and you have to turn around fast, but the games are designed to compensate for this. 99% of the games combat does not need this at all.

Objectively though, if this gets people to play Prime 1 and 2 that skipped them before, that's a good thing. These games are the nectar of the gods.

Kor: You can feel free to disable hints in the Prime games.

Metatrad on
    edited February 2009
    19073_metroid_prime_trilogy-v2.png

I know that's just a mockup (I'm assuming), but now I want it.

TubularLuggage on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    goddamn i need a wii

love this game so much.

august on
    edited February 2009
    Its hard to get lost in a Prime game. Simply because ever since post-Super Metroid, the Metriod games have held your hand, and told you were to go on your map, highlighting the room to get to.
    Wasn't there an option to turn off hints?

TubularLuggage on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'll re-buy it for sure. It's one of the best games ever made. I didn't regret re-buying RE4 when they made the Wii version and I don't see this as being any different.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unfortunately, Shadowfire, no, it's just a photoshop.

And yeah, I may end up buying this to restart my interest in Metroid again.

And you say it's impossible to get lost, yet I do. I don't know what it is, but I get lost. I am wonderfully directionally competent in real life, but not in this game. Sucks.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited February 2009
    That packing may be a shop but can't be too hard to make yourself.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited February 2009
    I never felt like any of the Primes were holding my hand. Especially Prime 2. And if I got stuck in Prime 2, it was enough to just wait a while until it popped up a hint on where to go next, without risking spoiling anything at GameFAQs..

FyreWulff on
    edited February 2009
    Well, I have to say I've waited to this long to play any of the Prime games so that I can play them "properly" and sequentially.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Kor wrote: »

You can turn the hints off in the Prime games, iirc. At least in the Cube ones (iirc).

Meaning, that before starting the game, you can disable the hints, so it doesn't highlight the room on the map. You just have to figure out where to go next. I'm almost positive that there is this option in the Prime games.

slash000 on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What annoyed me about Prime 3 was that whenever you got a briefing over the radio, you had to wait for the pause prompt to go away or else it would show you where to go. Just tell me the map is updated and get out of my way.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The only thing I hated in Metroid Prime 3 was the little "achievement" thingies popping up, those kill my immersion on any console. I probably should have seen if I could turn them off.

Also, that one room in 3 where you could unlock little dots on your map for rooms that had missile packs/energy tanks was a godsend, and should have been in there since Prime 1, if not the original.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg