As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games that you Loved, but never Finished

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Are there games that you have played, which you absolutely loved, or thought were brilliant, but never completed them? I'm not even talking about games that are hard. I'm just talking about games in general, that for one reason or another you never finished. I myself have 3 which I will begin this discussion with. (There are more. These are just 3).

Bioshock
I played as far as the "big reveal" and just a little bit past that, like maybe 20 minutes past, and just never finished the game. I don't know why I never finished it, I just never did. The gameplay was fun, the hacking was one of the greatest minigames ever, and the graphics were gorgeous. Yet I have not completed this masterpiece of a game.

Baldur's Gate 1
I played this game SO MUCH when it came out. I was in love with the character creator, which was quite in depth at the time. I started so many adventures and played them through the first chapter. In my main game, I got as far as the actual City of Baldur's Gate, and at this point, my PC at the time was not able to render everything all at once and I could not function in town. The game was virtually unplayable upon reaching this point. And I've had several PCs since that time, but I just haven't gone back and played it all the way through.

Mass Effect
Another brilliant Bioware game, that sadly I have never completed. I thought the combat was great, the story was compelling, and the characters were fun to interact with. The problem I had is that when they gave me my own ship, I lost all focus. All of a sudden I had the ability to see and do everything, and I was so overwhelmed with choices that I did nothing.

Lucascraft on

• Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Persona 3
    Just haven't had the time unfortunately

Also Disgaea DS and FFTA2

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Bioshock
    I played as far as the "big reveal" and just a little bit past that, like maybe 20 minutes past, and just never finished the game. I don't know why I never finished it, I just never did. The gameplay was fun, the hacking was one of the greatest minigames ever, and the graphics were gorgeous. Yet I have not completed this masterpiece of a game.

It's better that you just leave it and go on thinking it's a masterpiece. :)

The Guardian Legend for the NES. That game was so good, but I never managed to finish it.

Antishow on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okami

Beautiful game, fun, great story, but...
    I defeated Orochi and felt so satisfied with that, that when I realized there was more game I just kind of went 'Hmm, you know, I think I'm good. Thanks anyway'

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Half-Life
    I've gotten to Xen a couple of times and I've gotten all the way to Nihilanth a single time, but I've never beaten the last part.

Peewi on
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Damn, really? Wasn't that like.... 30% of the way into the game? (edit: Okami I mean, not HL)

Antishow on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Metroid Prime.
    But I'm guessing there were hundreds out there that stopped at the same point as me. The very last boss. UGH.

Ninja Gaiden
    I love this. But it gets far too difficult for me to handle. I admit it; I'm a sucker at NG.

Dead Rising
    I was so closed to finishing this but the console broke. I guess I would have done so if the 360 still worked.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Way back in 3rd grade or so, I got to Gigyas in Earthbound and never beat him. I just stopped playing. I really should emulator it back up.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mass Effect
    Another brilliant Bioware game, that sadly I have never completed. I thought the combat was great, the story was compelling, and the characters were fun to interact with. The problem I had is that when they gave me my own ship, I lost all focus. All of a sudden I had the ability to see and do everything, and I was so overwhelmed with choices that I did nothing.

Don't let the choice paralysis get to you; you can ignore pretty much all of the uncharted worlds, go to the story planets that the game hits you over the head to go to, and have a blast. Being OCD with the game will kill any interest you have; just follow the natural flow of the game and you'll be fine.

I was doing a good number of the UCWs and was maybe 16 hours into the game when I started feeling myself get bored, so I said "Fuck it" and barreled straight through to the end of the game. Was so worth it, and I wish I had done it hours earlier; the gear I got was tons better than the stuff I was slowly building up on the UCWs, and the story gets awesome right at the end.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    The WeazelThe Weazel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Final Fantasy 9

I was completely sold on the 'throwback' in terms of its art direction and battle mechanics. The story, the art, the music, it all felt as if I was playing FF4 all over again. To top it off, the lead character wasn't some goddamn whiny bitchboy (I'm looking at YOU, FF8).

But for some reason, I never finished. Hell, I couldn't even tell you where I left off. Maybe I should dust it off and throw it back in the ol' PS1.

The Weazel on
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fallout 3 :
    When your Dad died I kind of lost all interest in the story. That combined with the draw of trying different characters and play styles made it difficult to plow through the remainder of the main story. I suppose I will come back to it some day but at the moment it is shelved ( except for the DLC ).

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Final Fantasy 12. I got 30 hours in and couldn't force myself to go on. I really liked the story thus far, but I got tangled up in a difficult side quest for one of the summons. Then I realized that the summons didn't matter, because I spammed quickenings every fight anyways. Then I realized the combat really wasn't very fun. Then I stopped.

But I was having a really good time, and I'm a FF completionist most of the time. Just couldn't do it.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    also
    dead rising
    trauma center: New Blood
    Resident Evil 4 Wii (never beat it on gc either)

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ah damn it Zoidberg. I haven't gotten that far.
    Should have warned that it was such a huge spoiler.:?

For me, it's Trauma Center on the DS...just never finished it. I think it started getting really hard, and I just lost interest.

Scotty on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fallout 3 :
    When your Dad died I kind of lost all interest in the story. That combined with the draw of trying different characters and play styles made it difficult to plow through the remainder of the main story. I suppose I will come back to it some day but at the moment it is shelved ( except for the DLC ).

It's a good thing. As you might be aware, the ending contains nothing but misery and woe for all who experience it. It's almost mandatory that after the end you come to the Fallout thread and talk about how much it sucked.

freakish light on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Metroid Prime.
    But I'm guessing there were hundreds out there that stopped at the same point as me. The very last boss. UGH.

Me too. Most of the game was really good, even if it took me a long time to play through it. Then the final part came around and it was bad. It was annoying platforming with constantly respawning enemies. Then the first form of the final boss is so easy and spawns so many health items that I ended it with more health than I entered with and then the second form requires constantly switching visors and standing in very specific places.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I never finished FFX, got as far as
    the battle with Jeckt
    and no further.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Resident Evil 4 for PS2.
    FF12

Currently, I'm sitting on a TON of unfinished games. I'm trying to go back to them, but damn it, getting a 360 lately has opened up more games upon games...and now, with new releases for PS3 and 360 about to fall and drown me...I think my list is just going to get bigger and bigger.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fallout 3 :

It's a good thing. As you might be aware, the ending contains nothing but misery and woe for all who experience it. It's almost mandatory that after the end you come to the Fallout thread and talk about how much it sucked.

Now I'm wondering if I should even finish it.o_O

Scotty on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Baldur's Gate 1: I spent most of the summer of 2001 playing this. Right after I got into the city of Baldur's Gate my sophomore year of college began, and I didn't have any time to continue. By the time I finally went back to it, I had deleted my saves for some reason and wasn't willing to spend 40 hours getting back there. Just last year, I finally played all the way through BG2 and loved every minute of it.

Baldur's Gate, Throne of Bhall: I started this immediately after finishing BG2, but wasn't willing to slog through all the bosses.

Planescape Torment: I tried playing this via Gametap. Unfortunately, there is a random bug (maybe just in the Gametap version?) that corrupts all your saves, and there is absolutely no way to recover from it. After restarting 3 times within a 2 week period, I gave up. Maybe someday I'll try to track down a copy on eBay.

Less interestingly:
    Thief 3
    Mechwarrior 3 & 4
    Doom
    Battletoads (for obvious reasons)

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Every Zelda I've played
    Okami for the same reason as listed above
    RE4

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Going a bit retro, but Mega Man 3, fuck you. <3

A bit more recent: Metroid Prime 2. Apparently I'm supposed to find a visor, but the game hardly gives any clues of its whereabouts. Heck, I didn't knew I needed it until someone here pointed it out.

Also: Resident Evil 4. Low on ammo + Regenerators = me shitting in my pants.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Genji GlovesGenji Gloves ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga:
    I got to the final boss and could not beat it. I am currently in the process of playing through the game again, though. Hopefully I can beat it this time. It's really not that hard of a game, I don't know what's wrong with me.

EDIT: Hell, until this month, I hadn't beaten Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door either. Same deal. I played through it again and realized I hadn't given ANY of my partners a second upgrade. It was no wonder I couldn't beat it. The final boss was almost embarrassingly easy this time.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fallout 3 :

But what about Liberty Prime?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Embarrassing, but true. Ocarina of Time. Finished the water temple, but lost my will to go on. That place was like hell for a 12 year old mind.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Okami
    Fallout 3 (although I'm still trying)
    Otagi 2
    Planescape Torment (this is one I should be wholly ashamed of)
    Super Mario Sunshine

Egos on
  • Options
    El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Metroid Prime.

Me too. Most of the game was really good, even if it took me a long time to play through it. Then the final part came around and it was bad. It was annoying platforming with constantly respawning enemies. Then the first form of the final boss is so easy and spawns so many health items that I ended it with more health than I entered with and then the second form requires constantly switching visors and standing in very specific places.

Ugh. Fuck that boss.

I was able to get it down to where maybe one or two more hits woulda killed it, and then metroids kept humping my head. My lack of vision led me to my untimely death.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Genji GlovesGenji Gloves ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    El Extremo wrote: »
    Metroid Prime.

Ugh. Fuck that boss.

I was able to get it down to where maybe one or two more hits woulda killed it, and then metroids kept humping my head. My lack of vision led me to my untimely death.

I have never had trouble with the second form of Metroid Prime. You guys need to hunt more energy tanks or something.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I got Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for my Wii the day it came out, and I have honestly put less than 30 minutes into it. I remember being quite impressed with the controls and thinking it would be fun. But then I never really even played it. As I recall though, in my defense, that Corruption came out right around the same time as a few other games that were higher priority for me. I'm thinking maybe Uncharted and Assassin's Creed.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Baldur's Gate 2, throne of Bahl (proablly spelt it wrong). I got to the end boss, and fought it a couple of times. Decided the hell with it and took a break. My brother loaded up my game, beat the boss and then near begged me to beat it. I loved the game to death but never could beat the boss even though I new for a fact it was doable, well, I never could bring myself to beat the boss, honsetly I didnt want to try it again for whatever reason. I loved the fight too, it was awsome
    All these super buff demons spawing in constantly, some of which having four arms and being three times as big as you, oh man, I wanted to beat it so bad.

My set up was as follows:
    My main charcter was 7 levels in Kensai, and the rest in mage.
    Edwin the red wizard, mazzy the dwarf archer/fighter, I cant rember his name but he is a dwarf who specialiazes in axes I belive and fighted with mazzy alot ( I want to say Korgan but im not sure), Viconica my healer, Jan my rouge/other mage. There was one other, it might have been Jahera, although I rember she fights with Vicionica alot.

Granted my spelling will mostlikely be off, its been awhile.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Half Life. :(

You remember the part where...
    They throw you in the crusher, and you have to climb up those boxes to get out? Then your crowbar is lying there and you're suppose to grab it? Yeah. I never saw it, moved on, autosaved, quicksaved, came to a vent cover with no weapons and I was screwed.

But I actually just busted out the Half Life Platinum Collection and I'm installing it back to my computer right now. I plan on beating Half life and then move on to Blue Shift and Opposing Force. By the way, which one of those came first? I wanted to go in order.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    anoffday wrote: »

But I actually just busted out the Half Life Platnium Collection and I'm installing it back to my computer right now. I plan on beating Half life and then move on to Blue Shift and Opposing Force. By the way, which one of those came first? I wanted to go in order.

Opposing Force came before Blue Shift.

But, I'm not sure it matters, since the plot lines from all three intersect, but don't follow each other. You might consider HL, Blue Shift, then Opp Force for plot, but they came out HL, OF and then BS.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Gladius.
    Me and my brother played it for a long time, but my memory card corrupted and I didn't have the patience to go through it again.
    Great game, though.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

They throw you in the crusher, and you have to climb up those boxes to get out? Then your crowbar is lying there and you're suppose to grab it? Yeah. I never saw it, moved on, autosaved, quicksaved, came to a vent cover with no weapons and I was screwed.

But I actually just busted out the Half Life Platinum Collection and I'm installing it back to my computer right now. I plan on beating Half life and then move on to Blue Shift and Opposing Force. By the way, which one of those came first? I wanted to go in order.

I would highly recommend playing the core Half-Life game first. The two expansions make a lot more sense if you have a strong background understanding of the events of Gordon Freeman.

Opposing Force was made second, and Blue Shift third. Both are really good expansions, although Blue Shift is very short.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Tom CourtneyTom Courtney Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't know if this counts but...

Kingdom hearts 2.

I absolutely adore any and all kingdom hearts games, and this one was no exception. I had power leveled myself to 60 and I had just gotten to the lion king world, when my little brother corrupted my save file. I can't bring myself to invest all that time in the game again and it will forever haunt my dreams.

Tom Courtney on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Metroid Prime'
    Metroid Prime 2
    Wind Waker
    Okami (though any other game would have ended twice by the time I got to the part I'm at)
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Metal Arms

And even more that I'm forgetting

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I dont blame you on dragon quest 8 and metroid prime 2, I had to force myself and grit my teeth to beat those.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    El Extremo wrote: »
    Metroid Prime.

Ugh. Fuck that boss.

I have never had trouble with the second form of Metroid Prime. You guys need to hunt more energy tanks or something.

The final straw was when I was a few shots away from defeating the fucker and I died. I vvaguely remember it but I know I had a lot of health left at that point and I just wanted to break the fucking console pad. I sold the GC a few days later.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I would highly recommend playing the core Half-Life game first. The two expansions make a lot more sense if you have a strong background understanding of the events of Gordon Freeman.

Opposing Force was made second, and Blue Shift third. Both are really good expansions, although Blue Shift is very short.
    Yeah. That's what I plan on doing. It's amazing I haven't beat these 3 yet. I've beaten Half Life 2, Ep. 1, and Ep. 2.

To anyone who has beat Half Life, how close was I?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got Metroid Prime 3: Corruption for my Wii the day it came out, and I have honestly put less than 30 minutes into it. I remember being quite impressed with the controls and thinking it would be fun. But then I never really even played it. As I recall though, in my defense, that Corruption came out right around the same time as a few other games that were higher priority for me. I'm thinking maybe Uncharted and Assassin's Creed.

Same here. Like I thought it was pretty good and I like the Wii controls but it didn't grab me like Prime or Zero Mission.

I guess Link to the Past is one I like a lot but have probably played the first 3 pendents more than actually getting past them.

Also The Witcher. Its fantastic but due to load times I just gave up. I have the enhanced edition patch but haven't got around to playing it.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah. That's what I plan on doing. It's amazing I haven't beat these 3 yet. I've beaten Half Life 2, Ep. 1, and Ep. 2.

To anyone who has beat Half Life, how close was I?

Its been awhile but refresh my memory, what weapons did you have and when did you get them?

Lagnar on
This discussion has been closed.