As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 - Mutant and Symbiote edition

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Finally.

UA 1 is the best social game.

Khavall on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    As for the Spider-Man situation:
    Here's the gist of what happened. First off Aunt May gets shot by a sniper meant for Spider-Man. So in this mini One More Day Spidey is all disconsolate because he doesn't want Aunt May to die and all, so he runs around being sad until Mephisto comes and offers him Aunt May's life, but in return Peter must agree to have never been married to Mary Jane. So they bring in MJ and she's all like, do it because Aunt May is your Aunt and special and stuff. So Mephisto puts on the whammy and now Aunt May is fine but Peter and MJ never married. However! This retcons a whole bunch of stuff, and as it turns out Peter and MJ had lived together for a time, they just didn't married, but they're not together anymore so now Spidey is running around and sometimes dating other girls and stuff.

Another thing that was retconned is that now Harry Osborn never actually died and is now running a coffee shop. Also Spider-Man's identity is now a secret again. And Peter shares an apartment with a cop.

There have actually been some good stories after OMD, but...well, how it happened and why it happened was, um, stupid.

Long term they had to deal with re:identity
    his revelation of his secret identity. Spiderman is nothing w/out Peter Parker and Peter Parker can't exist if he's synonymous with Spiderman. That does sound really dumb though, and should have been dealt with in a different way.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Can't believe the 360 Gold Version is still $26.99 used ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Woah:
    http:/http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=60933

It's dirt cheap now. I should pick it up. But, didn't they have a "gold" box with the DLC included?

KiTA on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    They really need to stick with cel shading for these superhero games. It just works so much better given the way the characters have looked.

Like Ultimate Spider-Man was what comic book games should have taken cues from.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    h8b1llg8ts wrote: »
    Can't believe the 360 Gold Version is still $26.99 used ...

Where are you finding it? Gamestop doesn't even bother listing it anymore.

What was the diff between Gold and non-gold? Just the DLC?

KiTA on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I bought the basic edition for $10 used and got the DLC for I think $5. So go that route.

Gamestop usually has tons of normal copies.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DLC is $10 for all 8 characters, so if the regular copy is over $10 less than the Gold Edition, thats the better way to go.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, no iron spidey suit?

Woulda been awesome...

I assume the trailer was just using their basic costume, I'm sure it'll be one of the alts.

Scooter on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Wikipedia page says this would 'continue from the Secret War saga into ... Civil War'. As a non-comic aficionado only marginally aware of the 'history', what does that quote mean?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Wikipedia page says this would 'continue from the Secret War saga into ... Civil War'. As a non-comic aficionado only marginally aware of the 'history', what does that quote mean?

Ok well, Secret War was this mini where Nick Fury led a few heroes on this covert mission into Latveria to overthrow it because whoever was leading Latveria at the time, while Doom was like in Hell I think, was supplying supervillains with advanced technology. Then other stuff happened which led to Nick Fury being removed from SHIELD and going underground.

I guess it means that maybe like the first mission is supposed to be Secret War, then that will lead into Civil War later. But really Secret War and Civil War don't have that many connections aside from heavy SHIELD involvement.

Schide on
    edited February 2009
    Secret War was a short mini that involved Nick Fury putting together a team of heroes to covertly invade Latveria, as whoever it was who was in charge at the time had been equipping all the various tech-based villains. It ended with the political fallout getting Fury removed from command of SHIELD. I'm not sure what impact it really had on Civil War, or anything, other than the fact that between the Secret and the Civil Wars Maria Hill was director of SHIELD (Tony Stark from then til Secret Invasion, and Norman Osborn now).

Edit: I feel like Schide and I both read the same vague, slightly confusing story!

Scooter on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sounds like Secret War would've been better source material.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited February 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Edit: I feel like Schide and I both read the same vague, slightly confusing story!

Considering we both posted nearly the same summary, I'd sure say so.

Well, Secret War only included a handful of heroes, so it should work well as an opening act if that's what it is. But Civil War included pretty much every hero and villain so it should work well as a framing story for the inclusion of all the characters that will be in there.

Schide on
    edited February 2009
    I suppose I can't really argue with that. But it seemed to me that Civil War was more 'cerebral' and wouldn't lend itself well to scads of superhumans and villains battling it out in mixed teams. Might as well just come up with your own story if you want to do that.

Saying it's based on Civil War screams 'we are lazy game writers' to me. I'm still interested, sure, but I expect two different storylines depending on which side the player chooses (maybe even an alternate or branching paths or something). Anything less would seem disappointing, somehow.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    It can't be that strict to the already laid-out civil war arc considering Hulk isn't off world preparing to come kick some ass.

DarkWarrior on
    edited February 2009

There was basically nothing in Secret War. It was 5 issues and could have been done in 2.

The whole project was just an effort to trick people into thinking it was somehow related to the Secret Wars miniseries of the 80s.

Scooter on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, I just realised that I still haven't played the first Ultimate Alliance game.
    I need to remedy this situation now.

Rizzi on
  • Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    El Extremo wrote: »
    Why wasn't there any Deadpool in that trailer?

Not only was he in the first one, but I'm pretty sure I saw Cable at one point in the trailer too.

You can't have Cable without Deadpool. That's just dumb.

To be fair, Deadpool does spend a good part of Civil War duct taped to a chair.

I doubt they'll be cutting anyone, though.

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

There was basically nothing in Secret War. It was 5 issues and could have been done in 2.

The whole project was just an effort to trick people into thinking it was somehow related to the Secret Wars miniseries of the 80s.

Wasn't the Secret Wars miniseries of the 80's just a cheap excuse to sell toys?

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Baka_Shade wrote: »
    El Extremo wrote: »
    Why wasn't there any Deadpool in that trailer?

Not only was he in the first one, but I'm pretty sure I saw Cable at one point in the trailer too.

You can't have Cable without Deadpool. That's just dumb.

To be fair, Deadpool does spend a good part of Civil War duct taped to a chair.

I doubt they'll be cutting anyone, though.

Hulk wasn't in the Civil War at all and he's still in the game.

Plus, I won't buy the game if it doesn't have Deadpool.

Do the developers really want that on their consciences? I think not.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ugh.
    I just tried to track down a copy of the first Ultimate Alliance. One pre-owned copy for $50, in all of the stores I went into. I'm not paying that much for a used game that's two years old.

Rizzi on
    edited February 2009
    Gamestop swears it's like $9 used or so.

KiTA on
    edited February 2009
    Rizzi is in Australia. Where are you?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just want to point out that this is being developed by Vicarious Visions, who have a less than stellar history, overall.

The reason Raven isn't involved is because they've been secretly working on the Wolverine movie game this whole time, which Kotaku gave a glowing preview to earlier today (it was so odd to see them do a meh prototype preview followed by a sparkling wolverine preview a couple hours later).

HadjiQuest on
    edited February 2009
    Also, WTF, mate.

$20 for the gold edition.

Edit: Did anyone play the PC version? Was it a buggy mess?

Fusion isn't even going to get a PC port, because VV have no PC experience.

HadjiQuest on
    edited February 2009
    Wait...no MUA 2 for PC?

MOTHERFUCKERS

Scooter on
    edited February 2009
    Wait...no MUA 2 for PC?

MOTHERFUCKERS

If it's any consolation, the Raven Wolverine movie game is getting a PC port.

And, although I'm not sure about this, I think it has multi-player co-op as well.

HadjiQuest on
    edited February 2009
    To answer your question I never had any problems with 1 on PC.

Scooter on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    *raises double horns for M:UA on PS2* No bonus characters but meh.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited February 2009
    To answer your question I never had any problems with 1 on PC.

Yeah, I actually played it on a PC first too and I had no problems with it whatsoever as far as I remember.

Schide on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I bought the original last year and still haven't opened it. Perhaps I do so tonight.

BTW why does iron man look like he's made of plastic? Heh moar liek Plastic mang :P

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So where does this leave Iron Fist? He was Dare Devil for Civil War, im going to be pissed if I can't Iron Fist some shit up in this game.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited February 2009
    I want Iron Fist in this game almost as much as I want confirmation that Deadpool is still in.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    If they include Iron Fist, I'll be happy. I read through one of the recent trade paperbacks of him, and I'm really liking it.

If i could get a full Immortal Weapons team in the game i'd mail a live panda to the developers.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Personally I'd like just one Nextwave character in there. More would be good, too, but just one. Is that too much to ask?

It'd probably be Machine Man. Though Monica did lead the Avengers at some point. :P

WotanAnubis on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Personally I'd like just one Nextwave character in there. More would be good, too, but just one. Is that too much to ask?

It'd probably be Machine Man. Though Monica did lead the Avengers at some point. :P

...If they were to add any Runaway/Young Avenger I'd be happy.

I seriously doubt it but I'd be happy.

Dragkonias on
    edited February 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

...If they were to add any Runaway/Young Avenger I'd be happy.

I seriously doubt it but I'd be happy.

I can see the executives screwing this up right now. Demanding they never actually get attacked in game, or make them ride gokarts or something.

KiTA on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    All I ask for is Nova...he had better be in. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Like a few others, I'm wondering why the fuck Hulk is in this.

Though honestly, the less they stick to Civil War, the better, so hurrah!

UnbreakableVow on