As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lego Battles: All the awesome and none of the license!

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh man.

Oh man oh man.

If they put Blacktron in or Aquazone I would probably cry with joy.

The_Scarab on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aquazone would be great, but I doubt it.

I just hope they have the original castle sets, complete with the robin hood/merry men characters and set pieces.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh god Aquazone was second only to LEGO city in terms of freedom of imagination.

The_Scarab on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had a friend who had a fairly staggering Lego collection, including several of the large castles and pirate ships, and a variety of the space ship and underseas sets.

My collection was much more modest, but I loved it all the same; one of the medium pirate ships, a medium castle and a couple of the small/medium space ships. The glow in the dark ghost and all the armour/weapons for the knights were among my favourite bits. I'm pretty sure I still have the castle and pirate stuff in a box somewhere.

Between gaming and playing M:TG, sometimes it's a wonder I make rent. I really should resist the urge to go out and drop a paycheque on a number of castles and pirate ships for the ultimate invasion scenario.

The little cannons you could flick to fire were pretty cool too.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    The little cannons you could flick to fire were pretty cool too.

I had forgotten about these! Those were absolutely brilliant and awesome! Though inevitably my friends and I would always hurt our fingers trying to go for distance. :D

I'm going to my parents' house tomorrow and I'm going to start digging in the basement for my ice planet ship "Deep Freeze Defender".
    6973-1.jpg

I think I'm missing a few pieces, so I'll have to see if I can order them online and then I'll probably dismantle it, download the manual, and reassemble it for some LEGO fun. :D My mom takes my buckets of LEGO into school for the kids in her class (teaches first grade) and I doubt I'll ever see those again. Though I'd love to dig through the old manuals, find the sets I had and attempt to rebuild them again. Figure out what pieces I'm missing and get everything back to it's old glory.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited February 2009
    As long as this is in the game, I'll be happy:

Lego%20pirate%20ship.JPG

It was always one of my favorites.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I must be a fucking genius, in the Lego Harry Potter thread:
    xzzy wrote: »
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Basticle wrote: »
    I'd rather have a Lego Pirates vs Space Rangers vs Medivel Knights made up of all the sets I had when I was a kid.

They could make it an RTS, almost a Starcraft clone except you have to collect lego pieces from the environment to build your defenses, but you could only use pieces that fit your theme. Pirates couldn't use the space laser gun, and the knights could only use crossbows and swords.

The game would basically end up trying to deny an enemy the pieces they need, while trying to secure your own.

And of course you'd need to be able to build your own fortress pieces by piece, similar to that old arcade game Rampart.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Were the ships supposed to float? It always irked me (so I never bought them, but I got the little sets) that the ships were not comprised of bricks, but just a huge plastic mold you built on top of.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited February 2009
    Heh, nice call. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    As long as this is in the game, I'll be happy:

Lego%20pirate%20ship.JPG

It was always one of my favorites.

Oh man I remember that one from when I was like, seven. I was near autistic when it came to legos up until middle-school.

Now that I think about it, it was pretty common for my entire floor to be covered in a massive, eclectic lego city. I remember I wanted a bunk bed just to have extra space to build stuff.

chasehatesbears on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man this thread is just bombarding me with nostalgia. I'd forgotten all about those flick-cannons.

My older brother was way better at building original stuff than I was; he make gigantic castles or pirate ships (one good thing about the ship molds was that you could put a bunch of those midsections in a row - like adding leaves to an expandable dinner table, so he could make super-long giant pirate ships) and display them in our room. Then if we got in a fight or if I was mad at him, I'd run to our room and smash whatever he'd made. I was a little bastard, but he was bigger than me and there wasn't a lot i could do to get back at him.

KalTorak on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Were the ships supposed to float? It always irked me (so I never bought them, but I got the little sets) that the ships were not comprised of bricks, but just a huge plastic mold you built on top of.

Lego did make a line of boats that float, but the pirate ships were not part of it. The hull pieces were a necessary compromise--brick-built hulls would be cost-prohibitive.

I hate to say it, but guys, you are dreaming if you think they're going to have Aquazone and other old lines....The only older lines I can see being included is Ninjas...which actually makes me wonder if Lego is planning a new Ninja line, since they haven't made Ninjas in years.

Also, you people might be interested in This website. You can catalog all the sets you have, or just browse your favorites of yesterday.

And just to make you all jealous, here's my collection:

http://www.brickset.com/search/?ownedBy=Cameron_Talley

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This robot is pretty cool:
    6949-1.jpg
    I have the instructions and I probably have all the pieces, but it'd be close to impossible to find all of them.

Peewi on
  • davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That site brings back a lot of memories, I still remember fighting with my friends for who could get the old samurai guy and the ninjas.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
    edited February 2009
    As we post in this thread, it makes me wonder if the majority of the people who post here are older than you see in most forums. I'm guessing many of you are around 30 or older like me.

Hopefully we can get some great battles together once this is released.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I completely forgot about Aquazone and that space stuff. Man, I used to get so excited over this shit.

chasehatesbears on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Remember the Technic sets? You could make some crazy Rube-Goldberg style shit with those.

P7020057.JPG

KalTorak on
    edited February 2009
    As we post in this thread, it makes me wonder if the majority of the people who post here are older than you see in most forums. I'm guessing many of you are around 30 or older like me.

I'm guessing the average Penny Arcader is in their mid-20s.

Cameron_Talley on
    edited February 2009

I'm guessing the average Penny Arcader is in their mid-20s.

Sounds about right.

Either way having a group of Ninja storming a castle will be awesome.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited February 2009
    According to a poll Khoo ran a week ago with around 3,800 responses, the average forumer/reader is around 26.

Forar on
    edited February 2009
    Which is exactly my age. Creepy.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited February 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Which is exactly my age. Creepy.

Guess that just means you're average.

(I guess I will be too, in a few weeks).

Cameron_Talley on
    edited February 2009
    Well I have found most of the old sets online that I had in LEGO, including the Space Monorail. :D Now to see how many of the pieces I can find to start rebuilding. :( The only set I know I still have around in my house is the Star Wars Destroyer Droid, which needs new rubber bands. Everything else is probably dismantled at my parents' house or my mom's classroom.

Depending on when this game is released, I have new summer project - Go through as many of the parts bins I can find and rebuild as many sets as I can possibly scrounge up. :D Then see what's left over and let my imagination take control.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Death_ClawDeath_Claw Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is it weird that every time I pass by a toy shop and see the new LEGO sets I want to have a kid only to justify spending a huge amount of money on them, even tough I would probably not let him touch them because, you know, he would lose pieces and all that?

Death_Claw on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    I fail to see where the justification is necessary.

The badass part of being an adult is being able to look at a $100 set of lego and say "Yeah, I think I'll buy that and enjoy the hell out of it". No whining to parents or pleading over Christmas/Birthday required. Produce debit/credit card, walk out of store with a giant box of Lego.

I'm approaching 30 and to date, this seems like an excellent plan. And I hope it always does.

Forar on
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just had a son five weeks ago and at least once I week I ask my wife, "When can I get him some legos".

Apperently, I have to wait five years or so.

Until then, I have to hope this comes to the Wii.

Spicy_Rev on
    edited February 2009
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »
    I just had a son five weeks ago and at least once I week I ask my wife, "When can I get him some legos".

My daughter is 2, and my son is not yet 1. :D I eagerly await when they are 5.

In the meantime, some of the kids of our friends and my nephew turn 5 this year. Guess who's getting LEGO?! :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is it out yet?

Why not?

I'm going to build a lego kingdom while I wait then.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had some Unitrons, and a lot of Exploriens, and some UFO, and a couple RoboForce.

How could you not want a Robo Raptor?

The Unitron Star Hawk II was my favorite though.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Spicy_Rev wrote: »

You can get Quattros pretty soon, then move onto Duplos. My son turned 4 in September (shares his b-day with the Dreamcast!) and he's had my college Lego collection since this summer (we all increased our college debt by buying Legos on credit cards right?). He's too young to make the actual models by the instructions, but loves building robot factories, cars, etc.

This game looks incredible. The DS is the greatest console for strategy games this side of PC gaming.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • plehpleh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh my fucking god.

I wonder if my friend will mind if I borrow (steal) his DS for this

pleh on
    edited March 2009
    http://gonintendo.com/?p=74737

Woo, new info!
    - scenarios based on LEGO Castle, LEGO Space Pirates and more
    - six separate plots
    - build your own bases and LEGO teams
    - 70 levels
    - pirates, aliens, magicians, dragons, ninjas and more characters
    - pirate ships, space ships, and more vehicles
    - wireless multi-card play
    - due out this Summer in Europe

Build your own bases! Best. News. Yet. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    This robot is pretty cool:
    [IMG]http://www.1000steine.com/brickset/images/6949-1.jpg[ /IMG] I have the instructions and I probably have all the pieces, but it'd be close to impossible to find all of them.[/img]

That was seriously the most nostalgia I have felt in a long time.

The head could come off and it had magnet hands.

:'(

I AM BUYING THIS GAME!!!

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Doubt the base-building will have the level of detail it should (and it'll lack without vehicle building too), but we can dream.

Xagarath on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If something like this set is in the game, all my dicks will asplode.

That little ship was the best space vehicle ever.

Nightslyr on
  • LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    1682-1.jpg

That was my baby. I can still remember the day I dropped that (the actual tile, I was moving it downstairs to show my grandmother) and it exploded into a hundred pieces. Single handedly ended my dreams of space flight.

Thankfully my youngest brother is thirteen years younger than I am, as it means I'm still expected to create things at Christmas.

And I totally had that robot too. He was awesome.

Here's hoping some of the older space sets are represented. Nintendo's already made a mountain on playing up my youth, it's about time someone else got in the act.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The best thing about lego is the gore

Koolaidguy on
    edited March 2009
    So I'm venturing into a LEGO Store for the first time in my life this weekend.

What shall I do with my money?

KalTorak on
    edited March 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    So I'm venturing into a LEGO Store for the first time in my life this weekend.

What shall I do with my money?

$500 Falcon.

or the new Pirate line.

Cameron_Talley on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Einhander wrote: »
    I mean, like today.

I'm going to take a shower and eat breakfast and then go to the store and buy a DS.

Why would you buy a DS now when the DSi is coming out soon... if I didn't have a DS lite this is what I would do. (And not for the stupid fucking cameras but for the larger/better screens and possibility of good downloadable games)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.