As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Sonic Thread for Bitchin' and Reminiscin'

LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
Okay, I tried searching, as I thought there was a thread for Sonic and the Black Knight, but it would seem not. And since the Unleashed thread maxed out, I figured I might as well create a new thread for all this stuff I've come across.

First up: Sonic and the Black Knight. It has been reviewed in the newest issue of Nintendo Power, who gave it an 8/10. Take that as you will. Of note, the review says:
"Casual players who just want to race through the levels and see the ending can do so, but if you want more out of the experience There's a ton to delve into. You can collect equipment, obtain items, forge weapons, interact with villagers, earn new skills in three separate fighting styles, and (eventually) play as alternate characters, but only if you so desire."

Other notes from the review include:
-Story is entertaining.

-You control Sonic with the Nunchuck while the Wii Remote is used for slashing.

-Most of the time, combat doesn't slow you down unless you encounter many enemies.

-You can jump over and skip most enemies if you wish, but you can also attack with the sword or block and counter or use a Soul Surge homing attack. Combat works well

-Most of the required missions are straightforward. Frustrating tasks and recycled environments are reserved for extra challenges.

-The core of the game is pretty short. You can beat in a day. If you decide to take on the extra challenges and try to fully complete the game, it could probably take weeks.

-The game has 13 environments and some of the best graphics on the Wii.

-The game always runs a blistering frame rate.

-The music is excellent except for a few vocal songs.

And honestly, this is all fine by me so far, as it sounds like they fixed my biggest issue with Sonic and the Secret Rings: Having to complete pointless extra missions to move the story along. "Pointless" in that there seemed to be no logical reason for having to do them, story or otherwise, except "you have to in order to proceed," despite accomplishing the goal for that chapter (beating the boss, getting a ring, etc).

They close by saying:
"If you're looking for an engaging, unique, well-polished take on the world's most famous hedgehog, Sonic and the Black Knight delivers."

IGN has given it a hands-on, and their only real beef seems to be the use of waggle in order to perform attacks. But hey, I managed in Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy, I imagine I can get along here as well.

Here are videos of the game from the NYCC:

And some other trailers:

So far, I'm looking forward to this; the King Arthur story doesn't bother me, and all I really want is just a fun game with a character I like. I'm not even looking for a good "Sonic game" in the "this is how it should be" sense. I just want a fun game.

But speaking of traditional Sonic games, we now come to the part which lead me to create this thread in the first place.

tssz|news posted this earlier. It's pretty much pure rumor, but let's face it, there are people in this business who do like to talk. Why pick 4chan, I don't know, but that's enough to make you take a grain of salt in one hand while scratching your chin in contemplation with the other. Seriously, you never know what you'll get from that place.

Anyway, he talks a lot about Unleashed and its development, why things are the way they are with the Wii version versus the next-gen versions, and some of what to expect from the "next" main Sonic title (i.e. not Black Knight). And some other interesting stuff, if true. Here's what they have to say:
Not two weeks after one of our editors looked back on the prophesies a former Sega insider dished on the Internet, another possible insider is now in the spotlight.

“Archive this thread if you want and come back to me in a year and a half,” claims a poster on a recent 4chan thread going under the pseudonym of Wentos the Traveling Salesman. “You’ll see.”

Wentos, as he’ll be referred to from here on out, said to 4channers that he knows more about the inner workings of Sega “than you might think,” and also claims to work in localization, knowing people within the company “here and there.” His comments were picked up on by Sonicophage, a member of the Sonic Stadium message boards.

Among some of the light-hearted fare that Wentos suggests is that he’s the one behind the “Tails is a girl” script joke in the next-gen version of Sonic Unleashed, initially suggesting it as an off-the-cuff remark. He also noted that Sonic Adventure 2, thought by many in the Sonic fan community to be the best 3D Sonic to date, had the lowest budget allotted by Sega of any Sonic title. But he also talked about information of much more immediacy to Sonic fandom, including details on the next game in the franchise.

“It won’t be announced for some time,” Wentos claims. “SEGA isn’t taking Sonic on a break, but they’ll stay quiet with the main series games for a little while and then reveal it while this time specifically outlining what has been fixed.”

Wentos said that the next Sonic will be in the style of the daytime levels in Sonic Unleashed, have an increased focus on platforming, and will be Sonic only. The option to play as other characters will be included, but won’t necessarily be required to finish the game. He noted that Chao won’t be included.

“I didn’t say Werehog bullshit,” he affirmed. “I said sections in stages where you actually need to slow down and be careful and precise about what you’re doing. Non-optional characters in “main series” Sonic games are over, I can tell you that much.”

Wentos also commented on the vast difference in opinion between Sonic Unleashed for the Wii/PS2, and the next-generation editions on the XBOX360 and PS3. In general, it confirms what the Ben Andac story revealed to the world–that at least some factions of Sonic are meant to be only moneymakers. In particular, he discusses that Sega’s plan all along was to focus on the next-gen edition of the game, while recouping losses off that R&D via the Wii edition:
You know how Wii games are much less expensive to develop, correct? And how the Wii is primarily for kids and family audiences, while the hardcore gamers go to the 360 and PS3?

The consoles all the Sonic fans were likely to own (360 and PS3) were the ones the true Unleashed was developed for, which is why they handed it off to their freshest and most eager development team, who also happen to be huge Sonic fans themselves. Meanwhile, they outsources the Wii version to DIMPS, who has never even thought about doing a 3D Sonic game before.

Now, the 360/PS3 version cost a fuckton of money for them to produce; it’s the one with the most work and effort and love put into it. The Wii version only cost a couple million. SEGA’s plan from the start was to take a loss on the 360 version financially while using the Wii version’s sales (mostly to kids and families) to recoup those costs. They knew the Wii would have gimped version from the start, and so they gave the real game to th e 360 so that fan opinion of the series would finally shoot back up.

Thus far, their plan has worked, and to answer your question they’ll likely be doing the same thing for the next main series game, while using the filler title (Riders, the Storybook titles, etc.) to help pay for the losses they need to endure to be seen in a more positive light.

Wentos also spoke to certain mechanics in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Speaking about the ending, the art, and the music, Wentos has evidently confirmed that SEGA searched the Internet for fan-produced MIDI compositions, knowing full well those artists couldn’t sue for infringement:
Every single piece of art barring the landscapes were terrible, the cutscenes were made by people who had never touched Flash in their llives and there were a lot of glaring design issues that showed up in the game, ESPECIALLY as you neared the end. The cliffhanger ending was one of the most rushed scripts I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

They actually had a full, originally composed soundtrack but before release they had to pull the hub BGMs out for a variety of (frankly ridiculous) legal reasons. So they did what anyone else in their position probably would have done; they did a search on the net for whatever Sonic MIDIs they could find and fit them in the game the best they could. Since the compositions belonged to SEGA in the first place there were no legal issues to be had with what was essentially thieving them, and they could also pan it off as a “soundtrack full of classic Sonic music.”

Which is also why there’s a fairly distinct difference in quality between the electric-guitar intro/battle music and the shit you get while you play the game itself.

At this moment, we cannot verify the identity of Wentos, nor can be 100% certain of the authenticity of the information he provided to 4channers. That said, Wentos invited speculators to contact him privately, and he also aware of the story on this site regarding Ben Andac. Wentos says the climate at SEGA has changed since Andac’s blogging:
That article is old as shit and doesn’t apply even remotely to current SEGA policies anymore, nor does it even differentiate any of the separate Sonic Team divisions from one another.

It may have meant something two years ago but now it’s an absolute crock of shit.

[....]

I don’t want to be like the guy who wrote the article TSSZ linked to; hopefully he’s having a fun time in unemployment.

Especially in light of the Andac story, there are plenty in the Sonic community who are taking this is a grain of salt. There are those who doubt Wentos and his credibility simply because he posted on 4chan, a “wild west” of sorts in the gaming community where spurious rumors can roam free. Upon Sonicophage’s post on the SSMB, a healthy mix of optimism and doubt followed. Forumer JezMM wrote simply:
He’s bloody convincing but I’m not gonna believe him until, as he says, this next game is out so we can “hold it against him”.

Everything he says is interesting though. It’s either true or very very good theories. =\

Here’s what another SSMBer, Casanova, had to say on it:
Does anyone care anymore if these ‘insiders’ come out of the closet to have a moan or a poke at a random Sonic fansite?

He claims to work in “localization,” so what… that doesn’t mean he’s a key cog in the machine at all, he won’t be apart of the major planning meetings, certainly not have direct design input that influences plot or structure.

He even admits it himself.

Or if you still think he may be some kind of wise old man on the mountain… would someone who had a high position of power in Sonic Team, after last weeks news antics involving the fun of blogs. Would someone do this… on 4-chan of all places?

The revelation of Segas sales selling stratergy… Did we really need a sega insider to tell us that one? Call of Duty did that with C.O.D 4 and 5. In fact you could say that with any game that has a big console release and then a PS2/Wii version is doing it.

The only really earth-shattering thing here was that there maybe Sonic Riders 3 in development… but again… is that something to get excited for? I didn’t mind the second one… was far too short for my taste.

But if it did come, are we really surprised? We’re due another filler title, all whats in development right now with Sonic in the title is Black Knight, Genesis Collection, and maybe some Unleashed DLC (bBecoming less likely with every new day now). So another Riders seems likely since most of the world has alrady been done… just copy the codes from the riders 2 disk like they did with riders 1!

Since the original thread excerpts were posted (which we have provided below) Sonicophage claims he has talked to Wentos. Sonicophage reported to forumers that the main team who worked on the next-generation Sonic Unleashed will continue to work on the primary Sonic games from here on out, with other development teams receiving secondary titles. Wentos also hinted at a return to the Sonic Riders franchise.

We want to know what you think. Do you believe anything Wentos says, or do you think he is trying to spread false information as a way to steal the spotlight? If you think he’s being truthful, how do you take in all the information Wentos has divulged? Let us know in the comments below. We will certainly try to follow up with Wentos ourselves and get some new information, but for now, we are classifying this as rumor.

In the article, they've got an image of the 4chan thread itself, if anyone wants to look at it.

And with that, I'm done with this OP. Haven't really done one of this style/scale before for a topic, not that I remember anyway, so I hope I've done well by it.

Oh, and I did make the topic fairly general Sonic discussion, because that's what it seems all these threads eventually turn into, anyway.

Edit: New NYCC videos, minus the crowd noise, from GameSpot:

A new video up, with gameplay and Sonic facing Lancelot/Shadow at the end:

The official website has launched, and it's got some neat touches to it, with nods to other SEGA games scattered across the background. You can also see the other characters armored up.

And speaking of which, it looks like Silver will be in the multiplayer mode, complete with his own armor.

Update: The game has shipped! Nintendo Power likes it, with an 8/10! IGN does not, with 3.9/10! GameDaily does, with a 7/10!

More videos:

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
LBD_Nytetrayn on

• Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What happened to that awesome Sonic thread where TSR and some other people were going crazy with information. I was halfway through that and then it disappeared?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Black Knight is sounding at least mildy promising, there.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Visti wrote: »
    What happened to that awesome Sonic thread where TSR and some other people were going crazy with information. I was halfway through that and then it disappeared?

No idea; I think that was the Unleashed one that got locked. Unless there was another...?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

That's how they get ya...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Visti wrote: »

TSR just got caught up in stuff I believe, and didn't have time to finish it. I don't remember exactly.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Legacy wrote: »

I was never optimistic about Unleashed.
    Or indeed most recent Sonics.
    This one actually looks like it might not fail miserably.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    -Most of the time, combat doesn't slow you down unless you encounter many enemies.

That is all I needed to hear to know it wouldn't be atrocious.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Right now I'm expecting Black Knight to be like the last Sonic Wii game. Fun, but imperfect with a few annoying niggles. I'll be extremely happy if it winds up being more than that.

Behold the power of lowered expectations.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unleashed was hardly the best thing since sliced bread but it was a pretty good game.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unleashed was a great game that too many people blindly ignored because it's "cool" to hate on Sonic now.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Unleashed was a great game that too many people blindly ignored because it's "cool" to hate on Sonic now.

I gave it a shot, and will admit that the daytime levels were fun. If those rumors about the next one being all daytime-Unleashed-level Sonic, I will buy the game. The demo for Unleashed was very misleading, as that's all it included.

The night-time levels and the exploring were some of the worst crap I've played in a long time, enough to sink Sonic Unleashed to probably the worst game I played in 2008.

In short, Sonic Unleashed is 1/3 of a good game.

EDIT: And by the way, it's pretty much "cool" to hate on everything now, opinions reverse all the time on these things, but people have consistently hated Sonic for quite some time now and that's because the series remains shitty.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    In short, Sonic Unleashed is 1/3 of a good game.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I also had a big issue with the number of bottomless pits you started running into in the later daytime levels. Who knows, maybe someday they'll make another Sonic game with a floor.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

This is exactly what everyone says every single time

And look what happens

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

And look what happens

Yeah, I'm not getting optimistic about this one.

However, I would get really optimistic about a game that said it was going to be entirely made up of Unleashed daytime levels.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The thing about the Werehog wasn't even that the gameplay was bad in and of itself. It's just that 90% of his levels were designed like shit. I actually had fun in Spagonia and Empire City night-time, though.

Speaking of Sonic, Sonic's Mega Genesis Collection is out in a few days.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    On the subject of Unleashed,

I was actually pleased with the night-time Sonic play. It takes a lot from God of War's excellent gameplay, and this is no bad thing.

This is talking about the 360/PS3 version. The Wii is undeniably bad for Werehog action.

The worst thing I see that the Sonic franchise has going for it is the stupid stupid story that keeps getting added on-top of every next-generation game (with the slightly-possible exception of The Dark Brotherhood). I'm so thankful that the 360 version has skippable cut-scenes and so amazed that the Wii doesn't.

The less amount of time spent with story and the more time spent playing as an implausibly speedy rodent the better. Playing as a rodent with implausible martial prowess is not half-bad either.

So yeah, I'm still very skeptical of a Sonic game, but this recent batch of titles does raise my hopes. When people say Sonic Unleashed is total crap I have to take their statement with a grain of salt.

And this thread needs more discussion of Sonic Rush being abnormally awesome.

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Speaking of Sonic, Sonic's Mega Genesis Collection is out in a few days.

More people need to be aware of this! It is not just Sonic games!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_xbox360.jpg

Rent on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Trynant wrote: »

I was actually pleased with the night-time Sonic play. It takes a lot from God of War's excellent gameplay, and this is no bad thing.

You have got to be fucking shitting me.

Unleashed's Werehog sections are complete toss. Borderline unplayable, with nothing but repetitive enemies, and constant hammering of one or 2 buttons with no skill involved. It's not even within a million miles of God of War, it's like you're comparing a Ferrari to a pair of broken rollerskates.

They very first thing anyone should do if they buy Sonic Unleashed, is head to Gamefaqs and download the completed save file, so you can slip the night stages and just play the day ones.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »

Unleashed's Werehog sections are complete toss. Borderline unplayable, with nothing but repetitive enemies, and constant hammering of one or 2 buttons with no skill involved. It's not even within a million miles of God of War, it's like you're comparing a Ferrari to a pair of broken rollerskates.

They very first thing anyone should do if they buy Sonic Unleashed, is head to Gamefaqs and download the completed save file, so you can slip the night stages and just play the day ones.

How do I do this?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

How do I do this?

You have to be on PS3.

EDIT: Can Wii do this? I don't know.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Buy a PS3.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You seriously just killed my hopes. I got to the point where I need 16 sun medals in order to get into day Adabat, and I'm just not going to do it, I am just not going to play through all of the werehog levels to get that many damn medals.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    For what it's worth, Adabat kind of sucks.

Well actually it's a pretty good level, when the framerate isn't in the single digits.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

I'll give you the repetitive enemies, but the werehog sections are certainly playable and, dare I say it, enjoyable! The game requires two buttons to mash? Well how many buttons were required to build combos in God of War, Ninja Gaiden and the later Devil May Cry games? Two. The werehog stages are built around a pretty damn solid combat system that is pretty damn similar to many of the action games I mentioned.

I'm not saying that Sonic the Werehog is as fun to play as Kratos or Ryu or Dante/Nero, but he's not a total loss.

Or I may be tickled by the fact that there is a Sho-Hog-Ken.

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    GameFAQs has Wii save files, too, I've learned.

As for Unleashed, I'm unfortunately stuck with the 360 one (no downloading saves that I know of), and that damn Tornado segment was enough to brickwall me on the game. I have better things to play.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

And look what happens

Every single time?

You mean since Sonic Adventure 2, right?

You realize there's only been four Sonic games since then, two of which have actually been quite good? And that's not counting the Sonic Rush/Rush Adventure games which are also incredibly good, barring some minor setbacks.

People really need to stop acting like Sonic has fallen into some inescapable hole he'll never be able to work his way out of. Sonic Team just made a few bad games, and are seemingly turning everything around now.
    GameFAQs has Wii save files, too, I've learned.

As for Unleashed, I'm unfortunately stuck with the 360 one (no downloading saves that I know of), and that damn Tornado segment was enough to brickwall me on the game. I have better things to play.

You mean those QTE air levels right? I hear a lot of people complaining about those bits, but I managed them first time, and didn't think they were too bad at all. The only part of the game I'm having trouble with is the final boss.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    There have been 2 good sonic games since the Genesis days, and those were Rush Adventure and Advance 3.
    All the 3D Sonics have been terrible, whatever your franchise loyalty might say.
    I am entirely unable to explain my optimism for this one when I did not possess any such optimism for most of the others.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There have been 2 good sonic games since the Genesis days, and those were Rush Adventure and Advance 3.
    All the 3D Sonics have been terrible, whatever your franchise loyalty might say.
    I am entirely unable to explain my optimism for this one when I did not possess any such optimism for most of the others.

No, I enjoyed the two Sonic Adventure games immensely (when playing as Sonic, at least). I've always felt that they're about as good as a 3D Sonic game could be and, although not as awesome as the 2D games, were still pretty great.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sega got Sonic's gameplay right with Sonic Adventure. I don't know what the fuck happened after that.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Sega got Sonic's gameplay right with Sonic Adventure. I don't know what the fuck happened after that.

For god's sake he could actually spinball in that game. It was miraculous.

That said, even Sonic Adventure had too many "watch, don't play" moments in the middle of levels and bottomless pits.

Sonic Adventure 2 did not improve upon this, but I liked it when it came out, but I was also incredibly young and a life Sonic fan. I was young enough that Shadow and Rouge were not yet embarrassments to me.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, let's put it this way: If you were to list good Sonic games, how many post-DC games would be in the top 5? How about the top 7? 10?

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sonic Adventure has aged horribly.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Well, let's put it this way: If you were to list good Sonic games, how many post-DC games would be in the top 5? How about the top 7? 10?

Well, there's only 8 main Sonic games pre-DC so I imagine at least a couple would squeeze in.

And Sonic & The Secret Rings and Sonic Unleashed would both be in my top ten, and Sonic Unleashed might even be in my top five.

But that's just me, I guess.

You talking about Sonic & The Black Knight? How can you be optimistic for that game and be completely indifferent to Sonic & The Secret Rings they look like they're going to be exactly the same gameplay wise, except for the sword of course.

Igort on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Igort wrote: »

You talking about Sonic & The Black Knight? How can you be optimistic for that game and be completely indifferent to Sonic & The Secret Rings they look like they're going to be exactly the same gameplay wise, except for the sword of course.

Except that that really, really isn't right at all.
    The whole theme of Secret Rings was motion-control movement.
    Black Knight has stick-controlled movement.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The insider bit about Sonic Chronicles is interesting but not surprising. That game was terrible. I am surprised that he says they used Sonic MIDIs from other people. Not a single Sonic tune was recognizable, just god-awful bleeps and bloops, like a bad Nintendo game.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Igort wrote: »

Except that that really, really isn't right at all.
    The whole theme of Secret Rings was motion-control movement.
    Black Knight has stick-controlled movement.

You're absolutely right, and I had not noticed that little piece of info.

Never mind me, then.

Igort on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_xbox360.jpg

You know, that game would have probably been pretty decent if it was actually finished

If they didn't have to rush it out for a Christmas release it probably would have been just as good or Sonic Adventure 1/2, gameplay wise.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The insider bit about Sonic Chronicles is interesting but not surprising. That game was terrible. I am surprised that he says they used Sonic MIDIs from other people. Not a single Sonic tune was recognizable, just god-awful bleeps and bloops, like a bad Nintendo game.

Like some people here, I was too in love with the writing to noticed, but I'll probably never play the game again...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ah, now I remember.
    Black Knight is interesting because Sega haven't gone "No guys seriously this will be a return to the classic Sonic gameplay this time we really mean it promise"
    This improves the odds significantly it will actually be any good, since all the evidence of the past 10 years is that Sega have forgotten how to do traditional Sonic, but can still make decent games of other kinds.

Xagarath on