As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On]DYSTOPIA 1.2- Out on Steam!

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Biosys wrote: »
    Also, if the decking place is in a room, with only one door, for gods sake, don't just sit in a corner, watching as people open the door, shoot at the decker, open the door, shoot the decker etc.

You're probably better off, in those circumstances, leaving other people inside protecting the decker that way, while you go out and kill peeps.

There's no way for the decker to protect himself (except from others in cyberspace, but that's another matter), so he really is dependent on YOU.

YES, YOU.
    Alternately, stand right behind the doorway to prevent anyone running around you and shooting the decker before you can kill them. 99% of the time you're dealing with stealth ninjas in this situation and they can suicide katana a decker in an instant. Heavy + Fist in a doorway will fuck their shit up royally, especially if the door's been closed and they aren't expecting surprise knuckle intimacy.

Monger on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    especially if the door's been closed and they aren't expecting surprise knuckle intimacy.

This was my favorite thing to do.

*door opens*
    "PAPERS PLEASE"
    *fist to cranium*

Echo on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Does anyone ever NOT get the Thermal Vision?

I pretty much need to shoot stealthers in the face all the time.

august on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    august wrote: »

That is so awesome :D

Oh you think you're invisible? WELL EAT BULLETS MOTHERFUCKER!

And then do a little dance :D

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I played for a bit with a few other PAers and it was fun until I crashed. At some point I got three kills with a single Cortex Bomb.

Dystopia has it's own stats system, which is kinda nice, but I wish they're use Steamworks to have stats on Steam Community too. They could at least have the achievements with Steamworks.

Peewi on
    edited February 2009

I actually don't use thermals a lot. TAC is usually enough for me.

EDIT: When playing I suggest we use the chat room of the group to make getting into the same server easier.

Peewi on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    I played for a bit with a few other PAers and it was fun until I crashed. At some point I got three kills with a single Cortex Bomb.

Dystopia has it's own stats system, which is kinda nice, but I wish they're use Steamworks to have stats on Steam Community too. They could at least have the achievements with Steamworks.

They had all that before they were with Steamworks. I'm sure they'll eventually get it to work with Steamworks. :winky:

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited February 2009
    Zetx wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

They had all that before they were with Steamworks. I'm sure they'll eventually get it to work with Steamworks. :winky:

I know, but achievements are a new addition to their system. It's annoying that there isn't any notification when you get an achievement, like you do with Steamworks.

Peewi on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I tend not to pick them up and rely on people like you to finish them off.

I use my TAC scan to let people like you know when they need to turn on the thermal vision.

Inquisitor on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Light Armour, Boltgun, Enhanced Deck, Thermal Vision, Stealth and Sound Suppressor is the ultimate decking/stealth/assassination build. I killed five men on a JIP objective we had to get by chucking an EMP in, enabling my sound supressor, cloaking and wading in with my katana.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Might've been the people I was playing with, but I think I still got it with the MK808.

delicious +3's for killing heavies.

Mustachio Jones on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yup, this mod is still as fun as before. Holy christ is it hard though, those stealth katana dudes piss me right off. I still kill the shit out of them though, thermal vision coupled with the SMV (or whatever the name is) lets me see just about anyone coming so I can wreck their shit.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I tend not to pick them up and rely on people like you to finish them off.

I use my TAC scan to let people like you know when they need to turn on the thermal vision.

I like using the sound wave triangulator as heavy, personally. Then I can tell when people are coming even behind walls.

BlueDestiny on
    edited February 2009
    You know what I really like? Sound suppressor together with the minigun. I can shoot mans without making a sound.

Peewi on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So is there a PA group for this? Played a bit earlier before it crashed, fun, be funner once I know what I'm doing, for now I'm just trying that Med/A.Rifle/TAC/IFF/Medi/SCS thing Inquisitor suggested.

Any other good beginner builds?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited February 2009
    So is there a PA group for this? Played a bit earlier before it crashed, fun, be funner once I know what I'm doing, for now I'm just trying that Med/A.Rifle/TAC/IFF/Medi/SCS thing Inquisitor suggested.

Yes, there is a PA group. It's mentioned in the OP and I believe I've even invited you to it already.

Peewi on
    edited February 2009
    So you have... more fool me for not checking first.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Someone asked if the Katana was useful to block with. The answer is yes.

Melee fights are all about timing and weapons haggling. If you have distance, and the opponent has a katana, use a gun. If you are close and they have a gun, use the katana. Keep changing the distance and thus changing the ideal weapon of choice. Once they switch to the ideal weapon, change the distance again.

CangoFett on
    edited February 2009
    Played a bit earlier before it crashed, fun, be funner once I know what I'm doing, for now I'm just trying that Med/A.Rifle/TAC/IFF/Medi/SCS thing Inquisitor suggested.

TAC medics are the most beginner friendly because none of those implants require too much experience to figure out and you help your team passively. Minigun heavies are also relatively easy to play, though. Thermal/Wired Reflexes/SCS is the simplest build. The thermals can swap for an SWT (I prefer it, as do a lot of people in here), but new players are probably going to have an easier time murdering stealths with the thermals. The reflexes and SCS can both be dropped for leg boosters if you can't get used to how slow you move. IIRC sprinting heavies are as fast as mediums. Spider mines take a bit of getting used to, so pay attention to good heavies to figure out when to drop them. The only thing to know about the minigun is that it takes some time spin up before you can fire. Holding the secondary fire will spin it manually, but it halves your movement speed.

Shotgun ninjas are relatively easy to play in meatspace, but I can't think of a decent build that doesn't involve a deck. Stealth is still fun, though.

Played a round with a couple guys from here earlier. Good times, but the new random hole in the floor in the second spawn cap on broadcast is evil and makes me look like a tard.

edit: Mixed up my implants.

Monger on
  • DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just installed this again. Last I played was during the last Game On and I was pretty terribad. Let's hope I can change that.

DualEdge on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I managed to remember the old build I used to use when I was learning the game, and I'm using it again to re-learn the game, and I felt I should share it with you guys.

Medium armor, TAC scanner, IFF Info, Mediplant and an SCS, using the assault rifle as your weapon.

It's one of the most straightforward builds and is a real team player. The mediplant + the SCS lets you do a lot of healing. You heal just by being near people, so this promotes you follow people around and working as a team.

The TAC scan also is a huge benefit to your team, and I use it pretty much every time I have full energy, every time someone requests a TAC scan, and periodically throughout big fire fights. This coupled with your IFF helps you keep track of the enemy and pick off the weak ones for easy kills, and who doesn't like easy kills?

I recommend the assault rifle because it's a pretty straight forward all-rounder, a lot of people use it strictly as a beginner gun but it's a very good gun in the hands of an expert as well. A few things of note, right click zooms the gun a little and puts it into three round burst. The longer you hold down the trigger, the faster the gun shoots but the more inaccurate it gets. Short bursts at range, long bursts closer up. Going full auto is rarely useful.

I used a similar build recently, but instead of SCS I used Wired Reflexes (I think SCS is a better choice, however) and I ranked #1 and won around 6 or 7 awards, incluidng Best Medium Player.

And I suck, so it says a lot about this loadout.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited February 2009
    I've never been TK'd more in my life than in Dystopia. God fucking damn people are stupid, suck at aiming and can't control their fire. I think the funniest TK I've taken is when someone was trying to kill a cloaker in the decker room, missed and slashed me with his katana. Killing our only decker. Me.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    I accidentally shot a fellow Punk during a large firefight cause I'm too hardwired in the "Red = enemy mentality".

3 seconds later I realized what I had done and was horrified. :(

Thankfully he was forgiving. "NP man, I've done it in the spawn room before lol"

GalagaGalaxian on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I managed to remember the old build I used to use when I was learning the game, and I'm using it again to re-learn the game, and I felt I should share it with you guys.

Medium armor, TAC scanner, IFF Info, Mediplant and an SCS, using the assault rifle as your weapon.

It's one of the most straightforward builds and is a real team player. The mediplant + the SCS lets you do a lot of healing. You heal just by being near people, so this promotes you follow people around and working as a team.

The TAC scan also is a huge benefit to your team, and I use it pretty much every time I have full energy, every time someone requests a TAC scan, and periodically throughout big fire fights. This coupled with your IFF helps you keep track of the enemy and pick off the weak ones for easy kills, and who doesn't like easy kills?

I recommend the assault rifle because it's a pretty straight forward all-rounder, a lot of people use it strictly as a beginner gun but it's a very good gun in the hands of an expert as well. A few things of note, right click zooms the gun a little and puts it into three round burst. The longer you hold down the trigger, the faster the gun shoots but the more inaccurate it gets. Short bursts at range, long bursts closer up. Going full auto is rarely useful.

I used a similar build recently, but instead of SCS I used Wired Reflexes (I think SCS is a better choice, however) and I ranked #1 and won around 6 or 7 awards, incluidng Best Medium Player.

And I suck, so it says a lot about this loadout.

Seriously. I just got the game today after playing nothing but L4D since October(?). It works all the time, and you can always switch out for a sniper rifle as the situation requires.

TL DR on
    edited February 2009
    Also, word of advice for my fellow light armour assassins - don't go into battle cloaked, if you can avoid it. It is really effective to get part-way into a firefight then cloak and turn on your sound supressor. They'll spend so much time fumbling for thermal or firing blindly that you can run right up and katana their dick off.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Faffel wrote: »
    I've never been TK'd more in my life than in Dystopia. God fucking damn people are stupid, suck at aiming and can't control their fire. I think the funniest TK I've taken is when someone was trying to kill a cloaker in the decker room, missed and slashed me with his katana. Killing our only decker. Me.
    I saw this happen a couple days ago. I got in a sword fight with three enemies. As I'm blocking, one of them slashes and in addition to the clang of my block I see the notification that he's teamkatana'd his friend. I took that moment of dumbfounded confusion to kill him, then got decapitated by the third guy before I could turn around.

Could. Not. Stop. Laughing.

Monger on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    I saw this happen a couple days ago. I got in a sword fight with three enemies. As I'm blocking, one of them slashes and in addition to the clang of my block I see the notification that he's teamkatana'd his friend. I took that moment of dumbfounded confusion to kill him, then got decapitated by the third guy before I could turn around.

Could. Not. Stop. Laughing.

It's always fun to see a Heavy run back into his teammates when his Cortex Bomb is activated. I saw a triple TK not 10 minutes ago when this happened.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was in a server earlier today, completely confused. But the community seems pretty nice. Everyone was very willing to help out, and people use voice chat in this game a lot. I'm use to playing CS:S and hearing redneck racist morons screaming into the mic. It's a nice change.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
    edited February 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    I was in a server earlier today, completely confused. But the community seems pretty nice. Everyone was very willing to help out, and people use voice chat in this game a lot. I'm use to playing CS:S and hearing redneck racist morons screaming into the mic. It's a nice change.

I like to think of Dystopia as Bizzaro Natural Selection. Similar gameplay depth, similar community, similar feeling of being fantastic and fun and mysterious.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are definitely some cockmongers playing this game, but the community is a lot better than in most games. I played a bunch today and the highlight of the session was clawler bear killing an entire enemy team that ran into the pit before the first objective to escape the gas.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    Also, word of advice for my fellow light armour assassins - don't go into battle cloaked, if you can avoid it. It is really effective to get part-way into a firefight then cloak and turn on your sound supressor. They'll spend so much time fumbling for thermal or firing blindly that you can run right up and katana their dick off.

And that's when I, the heavy with thermal vision, punch your spine out. <3

Echo on
    edited February 2009
    Echo wrote: »

And that's when I, the heavy with thermal vision, punch your spine out. <3

That's what this tactic helps get around. My personal favourite, though, is EMPing heavies. It makes me laugh when they blindly fire trying to see me through the EMP static as I hack them down. Kind of hard to get a nice EMP chuck, though. Requires damn fine timing.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    See, I run with thermal on 90% of the time because spotting which side you're on isn't hard from just looking at you.

Echo on
  • CapuanoCapuano Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh, joy. I've re-installed and can't wait to start playing with some PA'ers again. :D

Capuano on
    1372374-1.png
    Starcraft 2: jawaka.947
    edited February 2009
    See, I run with thermal on 90% of the time because spotting which side you're on isn't hard from just looking at you.

I hate to waste energy so only turn thermal on sporadically to check my surroundings or fight people.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Note to self, always use cold suit when fighting Echo.

Tertiee on
    edited February 2009
    I never see anyone with cold suits. So I have no idea how it looks in thermal.

Echo on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Like nothing.

august on
    edited February 2009

Like nothing.

Yes, but which kind of the nothings? No thermal aura, or plain see-through invisible?

Echo on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Does Broadcast still suck?

I had great fun with this game when it was out though. Should perhaps start playing it again.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.