As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I used to watch it all the time, but back then it was called [Japanimation]

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I come in here from time to time for the Youtube stuff, but I just have to say, I don't think shrimpy experiences time in a linear fashion.

Fencingsax on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I come in here from time to time for the Youtube stuff, but I just have to say, I don't think shrimpy experiences time in a linear fashion.

Time Compression

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Maria+Holic has the best opening.

It's also hilarious and absolutely random.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In other news, my 12 year old brother was watching Death Note.

For a moment I wondered whether he should be watching it, then I remembered that it's a Shonen Jump series.

He's their target audience.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Klyka wrote: »

I enjoy how it keeps subtlety changing.

Slicer on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »
    It's been a while since I tried pushing the show, but the question remains: Why have like none of you seen 'Flag' yet? :p

I got the first DVD, and it was definitely a very good series. Probably could have done without the mecha, but that's a minor point. As a journalist, the series is even more special to me. Embedded frontline journalism is a hard thing, and my friends who do it always say it's one of the best experiences a journalist could have.

Sadly, I couldn't get the rest of the DVDs since the I lost contact with the friend who was sending them to me from the US. But if I find it, it's definitely an instant purchase.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh god.

"RiiiiBONS!"

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Tvtropes isn't something for citing. And you haven't explained why chapters aren't bad structure.
    It depends on whather it's something that's easy to recall rather than something that's hard to recall. like how many details there are and such between chapters. Lord of the RIngs was particularly bad with this, as Tolkien would often go for upwards of 9 pages describing a building or environment.
    So basically what you actually mean to say instead of having to remember things for a story to make sense is bad structure is you personally don't like having to try especially hard to remember things.

You should stop saying things the wrong way.

Quid on
  • ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pata wrote: »

Time Compression
    What does this mean?

Clawshrimpy on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh god.

"RiiiiBONS!"
    And then they shunted all the post-credit epilouge scenes off to the side, so they could show more promos. SCIIIIIIII-FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!! ::angry fist waving::

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Time Compression
    What does this mean?

You're a sorceress from the ultimate future who Kan't begin words with a C.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

For a moment I wondered whether he should be watching it, then I remembered that it's a Shonen Jump series.

To be fair, crazy yaoi fangirls are now a signfigant side demographic for them :P

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Joule wrote: »
    Greeper wrote: »
    The piano design has really gone downhill

Too much fanservice ruined the quality of the entire piece.

Zettai ryouiki :winky:

I stuck everyone's recs in the OP. If anyone has anything to add I'll continue to add them in until it hits the limit.

Some things I didn't see mentioned in alphabetical order:

Bounen no Xam'd: Lost Memories (Mecha/Sci-fi/Fantasy)
    Kara no Kyoukai: Garden of Sinners (Action/Horror/Drama)
    Kannagi (Rom-com/Drama)
    Michiko to Hatchin (Action/Drama)
    Minami-ke 1st and 3rd seasons, skip the 2nd one (Comedy/Slice-of-life)
    Rideback (Mecha/Action)
    Sketchbook ~full Color'S~ (Slice-of-life/...erm... it's good, just watch it)
    To Aru Majutsu no Index (Action/Comedy)
    Toradora (Rom-com/Drama)

Falx on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, there are already two sketchbook recommendations in the OP, might as well have a third in there.
    (Don't think anyone would protest that show getting more praise.)

Though if we're going to start doubling up based on merit, we'll need Denno Coil up there at least 41 more times, for good measure.

Dizzen on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    CyborgZeta wrote: »
    G GUNDAM DEFENSE FORCE HERE.

G Gundam seriously has an all time great dub. It's maybe the best dub ever done.

See Olivaw, we don't always need to fight.
    I can't listen to G Gundam's dub anymore. Especially due to the name changes (God becomes Burning). I originally watched it dubbed on Toonami but after watching it subbed I can't go back.

But, I also think Big O is better in Japanese. I like the way Roger talks in Japanese.

To be fair, the censorship is a tad annoying, and in some cases a bit weird.

VA though I prefer the dub.

Big O is good both ways, though a buddy of mine reached a startling conclusion. The giant robot parts are the worst part of the show, the Bruce Wayne parts however are fantastic.

I can't listen to G Gundam in Japanese after watching the dub. I usually prefer subs, but there's something about that show that's better in English. Also, the audio quality is better in the dub because it was recorded much more recently. Maybe that's it *shrug*

I prefer Big O in English, but only because there's less gratuitous English and the Latin and French stand out less. That show still needs a real ending, goddamnit damnyou.gif

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited February 2009
    the best thing about the original Big O is Schwarzvald

I daresay this is the best post you've ever made.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    Zandracon wrote:
    SO GUYS, HOW ABOUT THAT MARIA HOLIC EH? I HEAR IT HAS LESBIANS AND STUFF.

I find it a funny little show. Very fast-paced, and filled with all manner of 1-second "pause the damn video" gags. I usually don't watch flowery romance shows, but this has some great comedy that makes it a keeper. And it's nice to hear the voice work keeping up with it. The voice actor for the main heroine in particular is very funny to listen to.

The Virtual Boy gag in the latest episode was pretty great.

As was the main character having trouble saying goodbye to the tentacle monster in her messenger bag.

Centipede Damascus on
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    the best thing about the original Big O is Schwarzvald
    Oh god, he said something that I agree with. Kill me now.

Anyways, some recommendations:
    Mystery, Fantasy: Kara no Kyoukai (incomplete, but whatever)
    Magical Girl: Princess Tutu
    Comedy: Kannagi, Detroit Metal City, Toradora
    Slice-of-life: Hidamari Sketch

setrajonas on
    edited February 2009
    I still can't get over how bad the Digimon dub is. Jetix makes me despair. hopefully ryuu_rogue cranks out the last few episodes of Adventure before too long. the original version of the Dark Masters has been like......beyond epic.

especially considering RyRo is subbing 02 next. and they won't be slowpokes about it like WPP. because Splash and crew are better at what they do than the WPP people, to be honest.

Clawshrimpy on
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Should I feel bad for really liking it then? I'm um... not in that demographic, but I've been watching and loving DN.

Really makes me wonder about my childhood, since the relative depth of DN compared to what I was watching at that age makes me feel mildly retarded by comparison.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Exarch wrote: »

Should I feel bad for really liking it then? I'm um... not in that demographic, but I've been watching and loving DN.

Really makes me wonder about my childhood, since the relative depth of DN compared to what I was watching at that age makes me feel mildly retarded by comparison.

No, Death Note is good so don't feel bad for liking it. I mean they made a show about writing in a notebook that is super popular, they had to do something right.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    DragonPup wrote: »
    It's been a while since I tried pushing the show, but the question remains: Why have like none of you seen 'Flag' yet? :p

I got the first DVD, and it was definitely a very good series. Probably could have done without the mecha, but that's a minor point. As a journalist, the series is even more special to me. Embedded frontline journalism is a hard thing, and my friends who do it always say it's one of the best experiences a journalist could have.

Sadly, I couldn't get the rest of the DVDs since the I lost contact with the friend who was sending them to me from the US. But if I find it, it's definitely an instant purchase.

It definitely gets better as the series progresses. And also it is intriguing in that your two main characters(Akagi and Shirasu) are concurrently telling the story from very different angles. Even odder in that you barely actually see your two storytellers. Plus, the ending is one of the best I have seen in a very long time.

Have you tried eBay? Or possible see if Amazon will ship it to you?

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »

I enjoy how it keeps subtlety changing.

Doesn't compare to the original version of the ED.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HTyPPELmY0

Musan on
  • DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I'm sure you didn't try to stick your fingers up other people's butts as a form of prank, so I imagine it all balances out.

Really, the writer once said in an interview something about how one of the reasons he is happy it was published in a shounen magazine is because the younger audience would just enjoy the series without feeling the need to delve psychological or moral aspects.

Or something. I really don't remember it very well, but that was the gist. Anyway, the point is, it supposedly wasn't written to be read into with all that much depth, and it's not like it was around back when you were growing up, so no reason to look upon our childhoods' entertainment too harshly.

Dizzen on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »

No, Death Note is good so don't feel bad for liking it. I mean they made a show about writing in a notebook that is super popular, they had to do something right.

You should feel bad if you like Death Note after a certain point, because there is really no reason for the show to exist after it

And hey guys, is Macross Plus any good? Because it's on instant and I just got my Roku box thingy so I can watch Netflix streaming stuff on my bigass HDTV and I can never remember which of the Macross/Robotech shows are good and which ones everyone hates

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited February 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    kdrudy wrote: »

You should feel bad if you like Death Note after a certain point, because there is really no reason for the show to exist after it

And hey guys, is Macross Plus any good? Because it's on instant and I just got my Roku box thingy so I can watch Netflix streaming stuff on my bigass HDTV and I can never remember which of the Macross/Robotech shows are good and which ones everyone hates
    Everyong that was made before Zero is extremely good.

And for the love of god watch 7. it's their answer to G Gundam.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited February 2009
    Anyone besides Shrimpy have an opinion?

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fucking... SHRIMPSPLOSION!

Yeah. Macross Plus is fun. It's less music-centric than the rest of Macross, but it's still quite good. Both versions are good, but a few things are fleshed out better in the Movie version.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone besides Shrimpy have an opinion?

Macross Plus is like an anime version of Top Gun with singing.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited February 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Yeah. Macross Plus is fun. It's less music-centric than the rest of Macross, but

Sold

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Macross Plus is the best Macross, imo. I love it with my whole body.

juice for jesus on
    edited February 2009
    Macross Plus is the best Macross, imo. I love it with my whole body.
    Lies, 7 is the best.

FIRE!

Clawshrimpy on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like all things Macross for a variety of reasons.

Except Zero. There is no reason at all for anyone ever to like Zero.

Especially if you were watching it while it was being released thanks to the Worst OVA Schedule Ever.

Furu on
    edited February 2009
    SHIRMPY

YOU REALIZE THAT I LIKE 7 LESS EVERY TIME YOU DO THIS RIGHT

Christ on a shitter!

Furu on
    edited February 2009
    Furu wrote: »
    SHIRMPY

Christ on a shitter!
    How on earth do I seem to have that effect? the ability to make people like things less.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited February 2009
    Furu wrote: »
    SHIRMPY

Christ on a shitter!
    How on earth do I seem to have that effect? the ability to make people like things less.

Because you're obsessed with forcing your ridiculous opinions in other people's faces.

People do not like having things shoved into their faces. Especially by you. It results in them hating that thing even more.

I used to really like Digimon! Now I can't even play one of the games without thinking about your bullshit.

Furu on
    edited February 2009
    Hey, that reminds me, is anyone else reading Deadman Wonderland? It's pretty good so far, glad it didn't end up being a standard "tournament arc!" storyline.

Also,
    25.jpg

26-27.jpg

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited February 2009
    "Hey you fucking guys" is now my universal greeting

Furu on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Little Girls in an inapropriate setting (war): Strike Witches
    Little Girls kissing a more little boy (also magical action): Negima
    Little Girls being adorable little girls + 1 fucking bitch (slice of life): Straberry Marshmellow
    Must watch for fans of Harem Anime (Drama): School Days
    Magical Gril Drama (Not Anime): Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon
    I love fapping to h-games that I skip the story, but the story was pretty good and I want to know what happened: Clannad+Clannad After Story, Kannon, or Air

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Yeah. Macross Plus is fun. It's less music-centric than the rest of Macross, but

Sold

FFFFFFFFFF but that's fine, I guess.

Seriously. What the fuck. I'm gone all day and there's an 8 page shrimpsplosion. Please. If you're going to talk to him QUOTE HIM at least so the script kicks in and people aren't tempted to turn it off to see what the fuck's going on.

Giant Robots with charm, space bugs, a perfect ending and great animation: Gunbuster
    Giant Robots with music and love triangles and missile spam: Macross
    FABULOUS with giant robots: Code Geass
    Giant Robots with PIERCE THE HEAVENS: Gurren Lagann
    I AM GUNDAM: Gundam 00.
    Slice of life (The only entry I'll ever put on), charming cast of characters: Azumanga Daioh
    Sheer hilarity and randomness: Pani Poni Dash!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.