As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comcast internet speeds - what are they?

Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so I've had Verizon DSL for years. I've been patiently waiting for them to get FiOS in since they are putting it in my city and have been for a couple years now. I am tired of waiting, though, and my slow ass DSL speeds are no longer acceptable. I am looking at going to Comcast, but their advertised outbound speed, which is hard as hell to find in the first place, is crap... 384k? What the hell?

Now, I've got a friend who works for Comcast and does installation/in house support stuff. He doesn't know what their packages are currently, but says that he rarely sees upload speeds lower than 2Mb/s. Everything I find on the web also suggests that Comcast bumped everything up to 1Mb (and 2Mb with powerboost) or 2Mb/s outbound some time ago. Comcasts site, in the few places you can find it, still says 384k on most packages, with one package available with 768k outbound.

So, is there anyone here who actually knows what the hell the packages, specifically with outbound speeds, are? I do not want to actually call and talk to some sales rep on the phone, they probably don't know, and I don't want to talk to sales people.

Jimmy King on

• RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I average about 7Mb/s down, maybe 2Mb/s up.

I am also in a weird situation where I'm being charged the standard rate, but my bill says I'm getting "Blast" which is the high end speed, I think.

I'm not at home right now, but I will check my speeds tonight and post them.

I'm in Arlington VA--I'm sure that where you live makes a big difference in what Comcast offers.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cable has a tendency to be faster in theory but slower when everyone in your neighborhood gets on at once. Cable will probably never get as low as your DSL, however I've heard horrible things about Comcast in the past. They've recently been trying to turn that image around it seems.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Cable has a tendency to be faster in theory but slower when everyone in your neighborhood gets on at once. Cable will probably never get as low as your DSL, however I've heard horrible things about Comcast in the past. They've recently been trying to turn that image around it seems.
    Yeah, I'm fully aware of how cable actually works and the speed variations, etc. I'm just curious as to what the actual packages they are offering are since the only advertised speed they have seems awfully low (on the outbound only) for the current market and is significantly lower than seems to be experienced by users.

And yeah, lots of horrible things about comcast, which is why I have resisted switching for so long. But seriously, $35/month for 1.5Mb/~500Kb (actually like 487k or something, some really weird, off speed) that I get with Verizon? Screw that, it's not fucking 2001 anymore.

Jimmy King on
    edited February 2009
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm fully aware of how cable actually works and the speed variations, etc. I'm just curious as to what the actual packages they are offering are since the only advertised speed they have seems awfully low (on the outbound only) for the current market and is significantly lower than seems to be experienced by users.

And yeah, lots of horrible things about comcast, which is why I have resisted switching for so long. But seriously, $35/month for 1.5Mb/~500Kb (actually like 487k or something, some really weird, off speed) that I get with Verizon? Screw that, it's not fucking 2001 anymore.

I think that's the limitation of the DSL technology. Are you even using that much download speed or upload speed? But cable packages tend to be shit tons better than DSL.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited February 2009

I think that's the limitation of the DSL technology. Are you even using that much download speed or upload speed? But cable packages tend to be shit tons better than DSL.
    Yeah, it's the limitation of the DSL tech, it's no fault of Verizon. Their fault is in not getting FiOS rolled the fuck out fast enough. I know how all of this stuff works, I know there's a wide range of knowledge and skill sets here, so I understand you never know how much knowledge the person asking a question has. While certainly not a master of any of it, I've been working with networking since the dial-up BBS and parallel port null modem networking days of the mid-90s and am a developer at a company that does content delivery to mobile phones and handle all local network, internet, etc. for our office. So I'm aware of how all of this stuff works at a minimum of howstuffworks.com/wikipedia level, if not better.

As to usage, depending on what I'm doing, yeah. Streaming Netflix to my 360, which is primarily inbound, of course, gives shit quality video right now. Transferring mysql data sets from a remote server when doing test/dev work from home and hitting what is essentially a live-test db? Christ that shit is miserable. Transferring hundreds of .wav audio masters for work to home and then back, both upload and download? That shit takes forever.

So, yeah, I'm mostly just trying to figure out exactly what it is Comcast is selling here to determine if I'll even get the performance increases I am wanting/needing to know if it's worth the hassle of switching and the extra $5-$10/month cost. Obviously for inbound intensive stuff it is, but I want to make sure it is when I'm doing stuff that hits the outbound hard, too, or at least not a decrease in outbound, since I do make regular use of outbound heavy stuff.

Jimmy King on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Most of the shit you hear about Comcast is in regards to their customer service, and most of it is true. We had to have a service van to our place four times over the course of about a month to get it correctly installed, not to mention having to call them every single month because they overcharge us on our bill. Most of the time the problem is the local customer service you get routed to - they don't give a shit, and they will never EVER remember your case if it's an ongoing thing. The best chance you have is to go through that "Comcast Cares" twitter account (or email them, check their twitter page for the address) - we've still had to call almost every time, but at least we get the phone numbers of the people who are helping us, they remember our case, and most of the time it gets cleared up.

KalTorak on
    edited February 2009
    Then I will spare you the tirade I had prepared.

No, it will not be worth it when factoring in the practical speeds.

bowen on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The prices you see when you go to Comcast's site are for cable internet if you have it bundled with their TV and phone service. Their stand-alone internet is more expensive. The "performance" package is $42.95 if you have their bundle, but by itself it's $57.95. Similarly "blast" is $52.95 in the bundle, or $69.95 without.

Also, there have been rumors floating around that Verizon is actually trying to sell its fiber network, which is why FiOS went strong for a while then seemingly stopped being added to any new markets.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    I have the "faster" internet option with Comcast, allegedly 16/2. Right now I'm not downloading anything, and there's only one computer (this one) on my router.

Here are my results at this instant:

408266870.png

Organichu on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm happy enough with Comcast. Their support is as terrible as everyone says, but the actual service is alright:

408280667.png

I have the cheapest service, but they doubled my speeds from 6/1 to 12/2 over Christmas break. I think I'm lucky enough to live on a cable loop that isn't oversaturated with customers, though.

Fats on
  • tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Finding info on uploads speeds on their site is very difficult. I have the service in WA and I get about 2.5 to 3.0 on the upload, but I also have their 2nd tier burst package too.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
    edited February 2009
    The prices you see when you go to Comcast's site are for cable internet if you have it bundled with their TV and phone service. Their stand-alone internet is more expensive. The "performance" package is $42.95 if you have their bundle, but by itself it's $57.95. Similarly "blast" is $52.95 in the bundle, or $69.95 without.

Also, there have been rumors floating around that Verizon is actually trying to sell its fiber network, which is why FiOS went strong for a while then seemingly stopped being added to any new markets.
    Interesting and not terribly surprising. They sure do go out of their way to not give you enough information on their website. I was under the assumption that the $42.95/month was without anything else, seeing as how they have a whole separate tab for bundled services.

The Verizon thing sounds possible, too. They were upgrading all over town a couple years ago, but I have yet to hear anything about it since then.

As to the speeds everyone is seeing, that's really interesting and strange. It seems to be in line with numbers I'm seeing from non-comcast sites, though, and we've got speeds from all over that are certainly way over the crap 384k that comcast shows on their site. That's really very strange that comcast only lists 384k and a single 768k option on their site, but they also don't list the 16Mb deal anywhere, unless that's 8Mb + powerboost. I would think they would want to advertise these things accurately.

Jimmy King on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    economy is 1m down 384 up no powerboost option
    standard 6m down 1m up, powerboost bumps this up to 12 and 2
    speedtier is 8m down with 2m up, powerboost bumps this up to 16 and 4

Powerboost with standard, will kick in and cause the first 10mb of a file being downloaded to go at the powerboost speed, with speedtier this is for the first 20mb of the file.

@Bowen, cable systems haven't worked that way in years. The people in your neighborhood will have no affect on your speeds.

DeShadowC on
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I have their fast one, and it's ridiculously fast. Like 24mbit down, 9 up.

Doc on
    edited February 2009
    Doc wrote: »

You sound like a Comcast commercial :P

DeShadowC on
    edited February 2009
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »

You sound like a Comcast commercial :P

I had a problem where it was faster than my wireless connection, heh. I also continue to receive cable TV even though I canceled it months ago.

This is certainly an edge case: the place I used to live had comcast as well and it was almost never as fast as advertised.

Doc on
    edited February 2009

I think the new speed bumps are actual bumps and not just powerboost. The last really large thing I downloaded was the Win7 beta, but speeds stayed pretty constant for that.

Fats on
    edited February 2009
    Fats wrote: »

I think the new speed bumps are actual bumps and not just powerboost. The last really large thing I downloaded was the Win7 beta, but speeds stayed pretty constant for that.

Not yet. Now this quarter they're increasing the speeds, which powerboost will get doubled as well, but this is only available in a few test markets at the moment.

DeShadowC on
    edited February 2009
    Interesting, definitely time to look at this more closely, thanks guys.

Jimmy King on
  • ElrosstElrosst Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have the 6mb download, ? upload. Not at home atm, so i'm unsure on the upload speed. It's approx. $50 per month, non-bundled.

Like a few people have said, customer service is AWFUL. I mean, really bad. It gets better if you get a hold of a service technicians personal phone number and you can call them straight away instead of calling comcast.

I have no other complaints otherwise. Usually you can argue them into discounting your monthly rate periodically with little or no effort if you claim to want to cancel.

Elrosst on
    edited February 2009
    Elrosst wrote: »
    I have the 6mb download, ? upload. Not at home atm, so i'm unsure on the upload speed. It's approx. $50 per month, non-bundled.

Like a few people have said, customer service is AWFUL. I mean, really bad. It gets better if you get a hold of a service technicians personal phone number and you can call them straight away instead of calling comcast.

I have no other complaints otherwise. Usually you can argue them into discounting your monthly rate periodically with little or no effort if you claim to want to cancel.

Problem is, at least in my personal experience, the only thing worse than Comcast customer service is Verizon customer service.

RUNN1NGMAN on
    edited February 2009
    I'm not too worried on the customer service front. I can't imagine it's any worse than Verizon DSL customer service. When I moved, they cancelled my DSL at the old place appropriately, got me DSL at the new place, then 2 weeks later accidentally cancelled my DSL at the new place. Once the cancel was in which stopped my service immediately, there was no way to uncancel it and no way to create a new account until the old one was out of the system, which was a 2 week process. Then, when they finally managed that, I called to get my new username and password, and it took 20 fucking minutes to get that. The conversation was literally, nearly word for word:

me: I just got my new account, I have everything set up and just need the username and password
    moron: What lights are on your modem?
    me: <whatever ones are on>. That's all fine, I just need the username and password
    moron: is <light x> blinking or solid?
    me: <whatever it is>. That's fine, I just need the username and password
    moron: ok, let's look at your tcp/ip settings

and it went on from there, for 20 fucking minutes. Future calls were similarly pointless, where I tell them my DSL is out, the "DSL" light that goes solid when there's a DSL signal is flashing, and then they proceed to "test" and tell me that everything looks fine from their end.

My jaws just tensed up just from thinking about that call again.

I pretty much just don't call now. It's not worth the frustration. Someone who is not an idiot is working on it somewhere and they'll have it fixed eventually.

Also, a friend is an on-site tech for comcast, so I can always just harass him if I absolutely need something done and just can't take dealing with "Frank" in India anymore.

Jimmy King on
    edited February 2009
    Fats wrote: »

Not yet. Now this quarter they're increasing the speeds, which powerboost will get doubled as well, but this is only available in a few test markets at the moment.

I must be a test case or you guys are giving me powerboost for far too long, because I'm still getting 1.5MB per second after several hundred megabytes. Not that I'm complaining.

Fats on
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, that is true. I called them and they said the service charge would be $1.99 for dropping my cable TV. I got the bill and it was $10.99. I called them back and asked why it was that, and they said that was the wrong charge and my case would be escalated and I should expect a call back. A couple of weeks later I got a call saying that the $10.99 charge was the correct one, since they had to send someone out.

Me: "I don't really care what the charge was supposed to be, I was told it was $1.99, so I expect it to be that."
    Them: "Well, we always charge $10.99 to send out a truck."
    Me: "I don't care what you always charge, I was told it would be $1.99."
    Them: "I have no record of you being told it was $1.99."
    Me: "Do you have a record of me being told $10.99?"
    Them: "...no."
    Me: "Look, I know you aren't going to reduce the charge, I'm just complaining that I was told something different from what happened."
    Them: "Oh, okay."
    Me: "No, it's not okay."
    Them: *silence*
    Me: *silence*
    Them: "Have I answered all your questions today?"
    Me: "No. Why was I told incorrect information?"

It went on like that until I felt like I'd sapped $9 of Comcast's money through phone support.

Doc on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jesus christ, i never really grasped how slow my conection was...

408380612.png

Jokerman on
    edited February 2009
    and it went on from there, for 20 fucking minutes. Future calls were similarly pointless, where I tell them my DSL is out, the "DSL" light that goes solid when there's a DSL signal is flashing, and then they proceed to "test" and tell me that everything looks fine from their end.

My jaws just tensed up just from thinking about that call again.

First level techs for Road Runner and VerizonDSL are notorious for that up here, and when cable modem hardware actually fails, they refuse to send someone out to fix it because "It's alright from where I'm sitting," to get you to shut up. To deal with this situation specifically, I unplug the modem.

They then tell me everything looks fine from their end and the modem is good.

I tell them that the modem has been unplugged the whole time.

They stumble and either give me a technician immediately because I've caught them lying or they pass me higher up to someone who can do something.

How's Frank doing, by the way?

bowen on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    DeShadow if I call and complain about getting 9 down instead of my paid for 16 will they be able to do anything for me? Is this pretty much something they can't fix?

Organichu on
  • JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Holy moses

408409012.png

I'm paying like 45 bucks a month for cable only. Am I doing this wrong??

JRosey on
    edited February 2009
    JRosey wrote: »
    Holy moses

408409012.png

I'm paying like 45 bucks a month for cable only. Am I doing this wrong??

14 ms ping? Wut.

bowen on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    $42.95/m for 12mg internet if you have cable TV, 52.95 otherwise. add another $3/m if you lease a modem.
    you're looking at $99 installation with a $40 mail in rebate if you don't already have cable TV.
    if you do have TV, you can either go the above route, or get a self-install kit for $39.95,
    if you want Comcast to provide you with home networking the install is $149.99, and then $2/m for wireless G or $5/m for wireless N.

Upgrade from 12mg to:
    16mg, $10 (free for first year in areas where fios is available)
    22mg, $20 ($10 for first 3 months if you have an HD triple play, or free period if you have the premiere triple play)
    50mg, $97 (no promotions)

Power-boost bumps the 12mg to 18mg, 16mg to 20mg, the 22mg to 30mg, for the first 10mb of the file and the 50mg doesn't get Power-boost.

I know this because I am tech support for the product, and because I have sold many internets in my time.

EDIT:
    I am paying for the 16, and am in downtown Everett.
    Everyone on my block has Comcast.
    408421217.png

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
    edited February 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    DeShadow if I call and complain about getting 9 down instead of my paid for 16 will they be able to do anything for me? Is this pretty much something they can't fix?

192.168.100.1 go to this page and let me know what your signal levels look like.

DeShadowC on
    edited February 2009

192.168.100.1 go to this page and let me know what your signal levels look like.

You do realize that the page you linked him too is intranet right?
    no one on a computer not in a Comcast office is going to see anything.

olol at you.

Captain Vash on
    edited February 2009

olol at you.

That's actually the "standard" surfboard-modem frequency/diagnostic page.

bowen on
    edited February 2009

olol at you.

:O

I guess that's why I'm video and not hsi. :(
    olol at me.

for reference, that page isn't going to load if you're behind a router, like I am. might have wanted to specify or at least ask about that.

Captain Vash on
    edited February 2009

olol at you.

olol at me.

for reference, that page isn't going to load if you're behind a router, like I am. might have wanted to specify or at least ask about that.

It will if your router does automatic routing with RIP.. or OSPF I can't remember which one surfboard does.

Basically, any modern router from the past 10 years will work.

bowen on
    edited February 2009

olol at you.

olol at me.

It will if your router does automatic routing with RIP.. or OSPF I can't remember which one surfboard does.

Basically, any modern router from the past 10 years will work.

If your router is blocking you from getting to the firmware page of the modem, you need a new router, but that's a discussion for another day. Also the install prices Vash listed are market specific. Install prices vary market to market.

Also that page will load on 95% of cable modems. Very few I've found don't have a diagnostic page.

DeShadowC on
    edited February 2009
    Does it help that 94% of cable modems are surfboards?

bowen on
    edited February 2009
    408472484.png

Here's my speedtest. This is in Arlington, VA. It might not be applicable because I'm in one of the markets that they are rolling out the speed boosts to.

Also, I get Comcast cable, and I pay $29.99 for internet. My bill says it's "Blast!" I have no idea what I'm paying for because I don't think even the lowest internet speed they offer costs $29.99.

RUNN1NGMAN on
    edited February 2009

Actually the motorola surfboards aren't the most popular by far. Most markets use the RCAs or the Scientific Atlantas.

*edit
    @RUNN1NGMAN you're probably under a promo for the speedtier service for the first x months.

DeShadowC on
    edited February 2009

Actually the motorola surfboards aren't the most popular by far. Most markets use the RCAs or the Scientific Atlantas.

*edit
    @RUNN1NGMAN you're probably under a promo for the speedtier service for the first x months.

Yeah I know I was joking. Just been my experience so far.

bowen on