As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PSN February 12th -- Flower ... It's UP AMERICANADA!!!!!

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
GO DOWNLOAD YOU FOOLS GO DOWNLLLOOAAAADDDDD

flower-game-screenshot-1.jpg
Platform: Playstation Network
Price: 9.99
Release Date: February 12th 2009

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43576.html

flower-game-screenshot-2.jpg

What is Flower?

The developer that brought you the award-winning PLAYSTATION Network title flOw is back with another concept that challenges traditional gaming conventions. Flower expands the team's tradition of delivering simple gameplay, accessible controls and a medium to explore emotional chords uncommon in video games. In Flower, the surrounding environment, most often pushed to the background in games, is pulled to the forefront and becomes the primary "character." The player will journey through a beautifully vivid and changing landscape in this fresh and genuine game only on PS3.

The game exploits the tension between urban bustle and natural serenity. Players accumulate flower petals as the onscreen world swings between the pastoral and the chaotic. Like in the real world, everything you pick up causes the environment to change. And hopefully by the end of the journey, you change a little as well.

The goals and journey in each level vary, but all involve flight, exploration and interaction with the worlds presented to you. Using simple SIXAXIS wireless controls and by pressing any button, the player controls the lead petal and accumulates a swarm of flower petals as he moves at his own pace within the environment, causing the on-screen world to change. Flower's gameplay offers different experiences, pacing and rhythm to all players. Along the way, the environment will pose challenges to the player's progress.

Both pastoral and at times chaotic, Flower is a visual, audio and interactive escape on PS3.

Review Quotes:
IGN wrote:
thatgamecompany has depicted something that I never once imagined: what would a flower's dream look like if we could see it? Flower, a PS3 downloadable that comes as a spiritual successor to flOw, is one of the most beautiful games that I've ever played. Not just because the visuals are entirely breathtaking, but also because the experience of playing it offers more enjoyment, emotion and enlightenment than any game I've tried in years ...

IGN - 9.0/10

1Up wrote:
But maybe "fun" isn't the perfect word. Much like a well-constructed movie's emotional arc, Flower sets the mood, dips into the darkness, soars up for the climax, and ends on a satisfying resolution. Each level, represented by a potted flower sitting on a windowsill, takes you into the dream of that flower. In those periods of resting imagination, you soar through the air and make your way to that flower's secret inner desire, be it lush vegetation, bright color patches, or just shafts of light. But no matter the end, the journey is the same -- you fly around from flower to flower, collecting petals as you go. The more petals you add to your train, the faster you can fly. The levels are all fun, but they're also peaceful, exhilarating, empowering, and, as a mild spoiler, sometimes terrifying.

The game's distinct visual style immediately draws you in; people walking by my cubicle while I was playing would constantly stop and ask me what I was doing. This isn't the most technologically impressive game I've ever seen, but it is still one of the most beautiful. While the landscapes aren't entirely realistic, they offer exactly what I'd expect from a flower's dream -- hills speckled with stunning colors, ethereal orbs glowing in the grass, and a breathtakingly blue sky. Coupled with wonderful music and sound effects -- a dynamic score and chimes that tinkle fittingly as you collect petals -- Flower's presentation grabs and holds your attention.

1Up - A

Eurogamer wrote:
It is, simply, a game where you want to see what happens next, because whatever does happen next will be delicate, beautiful and pleasurable, and never so hurried as to overburden the spectacle and sense of immersion.

Eurogamer - 8/10

MOAR reviews

Anyone else grabbing this on day 1? I hadn't really been paying attention to it but after watching some trailers, I'm sold. The game looks like it's going to have the same sort of qualities that drew me to Rez on XBLA ...

I have so much stress during the day I NEED games like this.

Bamelin on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    I'm surprised it's not a full game. Seriously, it looks nice.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This looks neat, and I loved flOw, but SIXAXIS controls? They were a pain in the ass in flOw, I don't see why it wouldn't be in Flower. It would be nice if they at least included the option between control methods.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Based on the reviews I've seen so far, the reviewers seem pretty astounded at how well it controls. It's perfect, apparently.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Out tomorrow huh? Will there be a demo?

urahonky on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I had flashbacks to Rez just watching that trailer.

That's a very good thing.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Seriously, Sony should release a version of the PS3 without a disk drive for $200 or so so I could play all these awesome download games without breaking the bank.

RainbowDespair on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Definite Day 1 purchase for me. I just hope the store updates while I'm at work and not late in day like some Thursdays. I'd be home and the store still wouldn't have updated.

I'm going to want to play this as soon as I get home because I deal with idiot customers on the phone. High stress usually follows me home.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just a quick question about PSN in general, are there demos for PSN games?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Just a quick question about PSN in general, are there demos for PSN games?

Usually, yeah.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    While I like the relaxed feel of it all, and I do plan on picking it up on day one, I can't help but wish there was a racing mode sort of thing, cause I can imagine it feeling a lot like Nights.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Out tomorrow huh? Will there be a demo?

No demo but if you read the reviews it should be clear if this is a game you'll like or not. One of those "games are art" titles, with a dash of rez thrown in for good measure.

Bamelin on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    This looks neat, and I loved flOw, but SIXAXIS controls? They were a pain in the ass in flOw, I don't see why it wouldn't be in Flower. It would be nice if they at least included the option between control methods.

Motion controls seems like a perfect fit for this kind of game. You control wind, wind can't turn on dime so the less precise floaty controls seem more natural to me.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This looks fantastic, and from the reviews its sounds amazing. These are the kinds of games I look more forward to nowadays. will buy day one.

Shizumaru on
    edited February 2009
    I think the Sixaxis controls will work fine ... On some games I thought they worked really well (the flying parts in Rachet and Clank for example). Sure Lair was a disaster, but I think that the "floaty" feeling of Sixaxis will actually work really well with a game like this where you are literally "floating" on the wind.

Bamelin on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm very aroused.

UnbreakableVow on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I will be picking this up tomorrow for sure.

Im so glad I got a job this month to be able to afford this SF4 and Killzone 2.

Kyougu on
    edited February 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I will be picking this up tomorrow for sure.

Im so glad I got a job this month to be able to afford this SF4 and Killzone 2.

Killzone 2 at the end of Feb, Flower today, Noby Noby next week ....

Hell if my 360 had to red ring (for the fourth time), it picked a good time to do it.

Bamelin on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think you're forgetting motherfucking Street Fighter IV next week.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited February 2009
    I think you're forgetting motherfucking Street Fighter IV next week.

heh, I want to love SFIV, however, in my old age I've started seriously sucking at fighters. For instance I bought Soul Calibur IV and royally sucked. I bought the guide and everything, but ended up only playing a few weeks before I gave up (was getting slaughtered online)

I'm not sure if this is because you really need an arcade stick to play (which I don't have). Regardless I'm thinking I may pass on SFIV simply because I'm time limited and figure I'll be spending the next year playing online Killzone 2 with whatever time I do have for games :P

Stuff like Flower though is an instant buy for me, short and sweet, a single player gaming experience that fits my schedule perfectly.

Bamelin on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's out!

627 MB. I will return shortly!

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited February 2009
    This workday is going to go by SO slow.

Impressions pleaze!!

Is it up in NA yet or only Europe/AUS?

Bamelin on
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Bamelin wrote: »
    This workday is going to go by SO slow.

Impressions pleaze!!

Is it up in NA yet or only Europe/AUS?

Just checked the NA store, no sign of it yet.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    edited February 2009
    Oh my stars. I believe I've got the vapours.

It's wonderful. The controls take a minute to get used to, but they're flawless in their execution. I've been a stringent hater of Sixaxis implementation in the past (fuck Mirror's Edge), but I can't complain here. It's simple, it's smooth, and it does exactly what you want.

Now, we all know how good it looks, but damn, it looks good. Great sound, soothing music, and the rustling of the wind is an audiovisual feast. It is, and someone shoot me now for saying this, poetry in motion. It's like they built an entire game around Gusty Gardens in Super Mario Galaxy.

The gameplay is what it is. There is absolutely no challenge (so far), but it wouldn't suit the game. If you've ever felt annoyed by the time limit in Pixeljunk Eden, as I was, you'll be extremely happy with this. It's an experience, and although there is a goal (cleansing all the non-flowery spots), it is decidedly unimportant in the grand scheme. Although there actually does seem to be some form of narrative between levels, it is, at least in the beginning, completely thematic and non-intrusive, which is the way it should be. While I appreciated the things that, for instance, Braid did, it felt it was heavy-handed and stood in contrast with the rest of the game. In Flower there are no spoken words, there is no text (other than a short tutorial line), and, structurally, it flows from one point to another very seamlessly.

It is kind of a non-game, much like Fl0w, but that's completely beside the point when it feels like a substantial product, which Fl0w did not. It's hard to complain when it's only $10, but I wouldn't complain either way. You can probably get some significant mileage out of it, depending on how much you enjoy the experience. And I enjoy it a lot.

I'm gonna go play it some more.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was not a fan of flow, but this looks more interesting to me after watching the videos. If nothing else my kids will absolutely love it, so I'm buying it.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited February 2009
    Hooooooly shit at level 3. I haven't had a case of the goosebumps like that for a long time. I actually had to shut the thing off, 'cause I'm going to savour it later.

Cherrn on
    edited February 2009
    Only 4 and a half more hours to go here at the office. Damnit I want to be home NOW.

Going to blast the sound system and enjoy me some flower.

Bamelin on
    edited February 2009
    I just beat it. It has 6 (and a half) levels, and it only takes 1:30-2 hours to complete.

But it doesn't matter. It's the Portal situation all over again. The whole experience was flawless; I don't have a single complaint. It felt congruent, and it reached an awesome climax.

Without spoiling anything, let me say that the game takes some turns that you might not expect. However unlikely it might sound, it also manages to you feel like a complete fucking badass in the latter parts of the game, so look forward to that. The final stage is unbelievably good.

However, there might actually be more to it. There is a good selection of trophies, including some hidden ones, and

Trophy spoiler
    The gold trophy, entitled "Dream" mentions another room beyond the one you're in. So I assume you actually do get something from earning the rest of the trophies, however minute it might turn out to be.

It is, without question, one of the best games on the PS3.

Cherrn on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's up in the US. D/ling as we speak.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oooh boy, this is my first playstation store buy in a while. i'm excited

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    edited February 2009
    FUCK YEAH. I'm going to drive 120 km the whole way home .... in reality the truth is I'll be stuck in horrible downtown traffic

Bamelin on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Glad to hear this is up. Got a PSN card all ready. Can't wait!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What size is the download? Can't wait for this :) Looks spectacularly relaxing.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    TeeMan wrote: »
    What size is the download? Can't wait for this :) Looks spectacularly relaxing.

An astounding 628MB :\

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • gobassgogobassgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I just played the first two levels of this game and my god is it breath taking.
    I need to hurry the fuck up and finish this lab report so i can play this some more.

I <3 psn.

gobassgo on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PSN has been cranking out the great material lately, with a few winners still on the horizon (Fat Princess, for one)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    yeah this is very good

it feels like an odd evolution of everyday shooter, mixed with, uh, nibbler/snake. and starfox.

there are some spectacular moments, like when you kind of hold off on the wind and slowly descend on a last flower as if to bless it, before rocketing with a swirling tail into the blinding sky

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ahahahah.

This is such a hippy game. It gave me a trophy for pausing and returning to the game. "Healthy playing."

Bryse Eayo on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Only 42% to go!

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited February 2009
    Amazing game. Done with the second chapter.

All I can keep thinking about, besides the amazing spectacle, is how awesomesauce the terrain engine would be for other genres, like an MMORPG or RTS - something.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Should I? Should I get it?

WELL!?!?!

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman