As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If consoles wore capes!

AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Hey G&T,

So a friend of mine recently got a job at nintendo of all places and isn't really that up to date with the gaming scene. She is coming over to mine this weekend to pick my brain and try out all the consoles but also asked if I could give her a hand with some research; so I turn to you guys.

Now I'm not sure who came up with this question but it did make me laugh so hopefully you guys will have some decent responses.

Based on looks, attitude and how they play - If the Wii, Xbox360 and PS3 were all comic book character what would they be?

If you could answer for 1,2 or all 3 that would be great, especially if you can back it up with some witty text.

steam_sig.png
I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
Adda on

• DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Only one I can really think of off the bat is the PS3. I kind of see it as Cyclops from X-Men. It was the pre-determined leader out of the gate, still has its loyal followers, but really doesn't have the overall respect it may deserve from the masses.

More of an opinion, but that was the first thing that popped in my head.

Dourin on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can probably picture the Wii being the Silver Surfer.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Any particular reason?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The XBox360 is totally Lex Luthor from MK vs. DC with that super-powered suit that can make him stronger than he really is but tends to get busted.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thw Wii is Batman.

Because is it beating everyone else. A lot. That's what Batman does.

The_Scarab on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The PS3 is the Blue Beetle because it's slick and super-cool. 8-)

UnbreakableVow on
    edited February 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Thw Wii is Batman.

Plus it doesnt have the same amount of power as everyone else and relies on gadgets.

I'm not sure that batman is the family friendly face in every home though :lol:

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wii = Batman simply because he doesn't have the powers (high end, HD graphics) but he has the gadgets (wiimote + nunchuck) as his edge of sorts.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Excuse me?

Are you saying a superhuman level of detection and crime solving isn't a high level power?

The_Scarab on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thw Wii is Batman.

Yeah, I think this one works if you consider how he isn't as powerful as the majority of other costumed folk.
    However, if processing power = brains then it doesn't really work.

I have no idea what 360 would be...I mean, is there a decently strong and popular character who charges people every time he/she saves them?

And I guess I would make PS3 Martian Manhunter. About as powerful as Superman but no one seems to like him as much. Also: Sony doesn't seem to be as associated with a single gaming genre like they used to be with RPGs and he is a shape shifter.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Thw Wii is Batman.

Yeah, I think this one works if you consider how he isn't as powerful as the majority of other costumed folk.

I have no idea what 360 would be...I mean, is there a decently strong and popular character who charges people every time he/she saves them?

And I guess I would make PS3 Martian Manhunter. About as powerful as Superman but no one seems to like him as much. Also: Sony doesn't seem to be as associated with a single gaming genre like they used to be with RPGs and he is a shape shifter.
    I'd probably put the wii down as robin instead of batman. No powers, pretty useless overall, but for some reason he just won't die and people love him anyway o_O

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited February 2009
    Excuse me?

Are you saying a superhuman level of detection and crime solving isn't a high level power?

It's as high level as talking in a gruff voice so maybe

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My 360 would be Batman.

Because it's dead.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2009
    BigDes wrote: »
    My 360 would be Captain America

Because it's dead.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That works too.

Unlike my 360.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BigDes wrote: »
    My 360 would be Batman.

Because it's dead.

Batman's not dead. Batgirl probably will be soon though... :x (fuck you DC)

Anyway, the 360 is Superman, the PS3 is Captain Marvel (the real one, not the shitty alien) and the Wii is... I don't know.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is a poll thread, and it is retarded.

By all rights I should lock it.

But it's so retarded that I think I'll leave it open

Captain K on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Original Xbox is the Blob. lol huge.

For a change in answer, Wii is Tony Stark. Has all these different peripherals, and the fucker makes money. Also great for drunk parties.

360 is Professor Xavier. Even though the game is on both 360 and PS3, everyone seems to get the 360 version, as if their minds are being controlled. Xbox Live is Cerebro; you can find all your wierdo friends with it, and know what they're doing. It's also expensive. edit- to go with my PSN analogy, XBL is the Avengers, because fucking everybody is in that club.

PS3 is Booster Gold. Futuristic, high tech, and pretty much an unpopular dick. Tries to be good, though. But He's still a dick. PSN is West Coast Avengers. A lame copy of something good. Home is Great Lakes Avengers. Because seriously. What?... Man, what?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Only Dreamcast stays dead."

UnbreakableVow on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dreamcast is Sue Dibny
    Loved by everyone, and a promising future. Then Raped, and friends enter the brain and effectively kill it, and add more insult to injury with burning (games) even after death. and even years after being said and done, is still being used by kiddies today (superboy prime using her as an excuse for his games)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thw Wii is Batman.

All punchlines that do not contain "because like Batman it needs gross amounts of time to prepare good games" are not the true king.

Also, the Gameboy and it's incarnations are remnant of Wolverine and his ability to never die.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

The Dreamcast is that one guy who got killed in Civil War because only a small amount of people ever gave a shit about it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PatboyX wrote: »
    Thw Wii is Batman.

Regarding the 360, Luke Cage in his heroes for hire days?
    powerman001.jpg
    His 'Where's my money, honey?' quote seems earily appropriate. 8-)

Although he's fairly indestructable which contradicts the choice for 360 representative.

For the Wii I'd go with Ted Kord instead of Batman, because of the fun for the family element. Otherwise it's pretty much spot on.

The PS3 is extremely powerful, a lot sturdier than the 360 yet still lacks in gamer/developer love and gets a lot of undeserved hate or apathy. It's also a bit of a machine that can't decide what it wants to be, family multimedia hub or hardcore gaming machine. It's kind of schizophrenic, so maybe Sentry?

Oh and seeing the gameboys mentioned made me think of the Summers brothers. All very similar in power type, varying in power levels. Vulcan is probably the DS in that equation.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    this reminds me, I think we need a Marvel Ultimate Alliance thread

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    360 - the Hulk. Big, green, powerful - not the most reliable thing in the world, sometimes you just want to launch it into space out of frustration.

PS3 - War Machine. Shiny, black, heavy- not as popular as the other guy.

Wii - Batman, for reasons already stated.

KalTorak on
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Wii is Spider-man. He's not as powerful as the big guns but is more respected and popular regardless. Plus he's friendly most of the time and not a big mean scowly man like Batman.

Smurph on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    360 - the Hulk. Big, green, powerful - not the most reliable thing in the world, sometimes you just want to launch it into space out of frustration.

Interestingly enough, there was an arcticle about creating the brand of the 360 in fast company a couple years back, and this is a short story about it, wherein the guy doing the presentation calls the original xbox the hulk

"First up was Michael Jager, JDK's creative director. Standing before the tribunal, Jager (pronounced like the Rolling Stone) illustrated his vision through a combination of street theater, design psychology, and cultural fluency. Comparing the original Xbox with the Incredible Hulk, Jager used a razor to slash an X in a sheet of paper and then thrust his head through the hole. "X today is all AARGGHHH!" he bellowed. Pure aggressive power. He then withdrew his head, flipped the paper, and revealed how that X could become a doorway, "an invitation to an experience." Jager acknowledged power as a critical component separating Xbox from its competitors but urged the company to see it--and express it-- differently. "Our approach was to transition Xbox from this hulk of escaping power into this quiet power that is lurking, something still incredibly dangerous but with more of an elegance and grace," he recalls. "The analogy we used was Bruce Lee." And thus were two firms felled by a single stone."

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Smurph wrote: »
    The Wii is Spider-man. He's not as powerful as the big guns but is more respected and popular regardless. Plus he's friendly most of the time and not a big mean scowly man like Batman.

That's true. And in a past life he used to be kind of nerdy and unpopular though still likable. He didn't sell well.

The spider bite was like getting that second Gamecube duct taped on.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I see the 360 as sort of a hellboy type. Not very subtle, but he gets the job done.

also, Red ring of doom joke.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nah the Wii is Aquaman. Sounds and looks cool in theory.. but really... he's Aquaman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDw5KbV1ogw

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited February 2009
    Captain K wrote: »
    But it's so retarded that I think I'll leave it open

Appreciated.

Also the guy who said war machine is the ps3 fits it for me. I have all 3 and I wish my ps3 got more love. now I know how Rhodes must feel.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PS3 should be spiderman because they use the spiderman font from the movies on the console. HAR HAR.

xzzy on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think you should introduce this friend to the wonderful world of rim jobs.

Meiz on
    edited February 2009
    PhoneBone wrote: »

Oh and seeing the gameboys mentioned made me think of the Summers brothers. All very similar in power type, varying in power levels. Vulcan is probably the DS in that equation.

What would the psp be then?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • DraysothDraysoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Wii has to be Squrrel Girl... Theres no reason its doing so much better than its "foes", but it just can't lose.

Draysoth on
    WiiU ID - Draysoth1
    Xbox Live - Draysoth1
    PSN - Draysoth
    Steam - Draysoth
    3DS - 2320-6133-3744
    Please let me know if you add me!
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The 360 is the Scarlet Witch because it's pretty powerful all-around, but can't seem to keep its shit together all the time.

The PS3 is Booster Gold. It's high-tech, but it doesn't really get the appreciation it deserves.

I guess the Wii is like the Wondertwins because it kind of sucks.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    First, forget the superhero comparison.

Bring out your PS3, look her dead in the eye (with one eye slightly raised, and a coy smile upon your face) and go into detail about how the sleek curves and smooth feeling makes the PS3 a winner in your book. If this doesn't have a positive result, maintain the eye contact and smile, but start lightly tracing circles over the PS3. She might ask you about other systems or tell you that you're creeping her out, but you need to maintain your form until you get the result you're looking for.
    Or until she leaves.

No need to thank me.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • DamionDamion Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    360 is differently the hulk. always try's to power through issues (money, extended warranty, and it's green ring of light). I would say except when it Bruce banners (red rings) but Bruce banner is still worth while. a red ringed 360 is not.

ps3 is daredevil. Blind, not the most popular. has some cool moves and with what senses it has left puts up the best fight he/it can.

Wii

I'm stuck on that one...

Damion on
    damionitc.png
  • AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wii = Underdog

AnakinOU on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Adda wrote: »

Any particular reason?

Because with it it brings destruction in it's wake.

Casual population = Galactus
    Our beloved gaming past-time = tasty planets

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294