As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[miniphalla] Rhinoceros - Game Over, the rhinoceros is triumphant!

167891012»

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wow, too bad I didn't stay with my first choice, I would hit jackpot.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Basically you're like a bizarro kime, but for seers.

Role PM and Mechanics

Villager

You are a villager of a village, as it should be. You like any others were minding whatever business you had in the first place, until you saw the rhinoceros. It began with an isolated rhino rampaging through the square; but soon there were other sightings, and one day, you saw one villager become rhinoceros.

This is when you started taking them seriously. They had to go, before the entire village ended up either dead or rhinoceros.

Every day, you will vote for four players: two to die, and two to seer. You win if there are no more rhinoceroses in the village.

Rhinoceros (enlightenedbum, Daius, jackisreal, Andrew Ryan)

...Well, “Rhinoceros begone!” is what you once thought, but something changed your mind a bit. Was it the horn? Was it the skin? Or was it the grace?

In short, you are now rhinoceros.

Every night, PM me the name of two players: one to kill, and one to convert. The converted player will join your side and share your victory condition.

You win the game once the rhinoceros outnumber the village.

Dynamite (Randomly distributed among non-rhino villagers)

...However, you were prepared. Reading Tintin au Congo in your childhood traumatised you, and thus in your home you hid a bag of dynamite, just in case. And now the time has come to use it!

Send me the name of a player to blow up, and it will be blown up real good. Alas, someone running with dynamite is bound to attract unwanted attention, and thus you'll be forced to drop your bag after the act is done. Do not worry, another human will find it.

Encyclopedia (See Dynamite, but this was a last minute add. Like, I cooked it up while sending PMs)

When you were young, you loved rhinoceros. So much, your parents bought you a rhinoceros encyclopedia for your tenth birthday. Opinions changes though, and the rhinos you idolated turns out to be not so nice after all.

However, you still have that book of knowledge. Every night, send me the name of one person you want to check for rhinoceros traits. The person's nature will be announced to everyone.

Alas, you do know words of knowledge spread fast, and thus will be obligated to hide your encyclopedia after one day, hoping a human find it.

Dac Vin on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Basically you're like a bizarro kime, but for seers.

:(

If this weren't a fun game I'd yell at you right now!

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited February 2009
    So if I'm bizarro kime, then... my brain hurts.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Conversion mechanics... are they ever balanced? Heck, even third parties can win with them.

Darian on
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Next week on myth busters.

Are rhinoceros good at winning Phalla?

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    edited February 2009
    I think it's funny that no one thought it was wierd when Warban showed up as a villager. I mean no one even flinched. I also thought it was funny that I was the only one to get a good seer, and i died the next day.

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    Conversion mechanics... are they ever balanced? Heck, even third parties can win with them.

Chalk this up in another string of conversion failure.

Dac Vin on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This game thoroughly confused me. I don't understand how villages are supposed to operate when conversion is a factor.

I tried to start up a plan today to get a proto-network going, but it was obviously too late.

zenpotato on
    edited February 2009
    What did you give for the bonus for winning the drawing competition?

Darian on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    zenpotato wrote: »
    This game thoroughly confused me. I don't understand how villages are supposed to operate when conversion is a factor.

I tried to start up a plan today to get a proto-network going, but it was obviously too late.
    Well Darian had enlightenedbum guessed, and Tommy2Hands guess both Micro and enlightenedbum, right? Just requires more analyzing of how people are acting and such as opposed to evidence and networks. Of course, I'm not one to talk since apparently my instincts and guesses are. . bad. . . but still!

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited February 2009
    Ya, You cannot put conversion in a game unless you give the village another method to network.

This game wasn't a failure, it just was the, How to: Of groundhoging day one's in phalla.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    edited February 2009
    kime wrote: »

Well Darian had enlightenedbum guessed, and Tommy2Hands guess both Micro and enlightenedbum, right? Just requires more analyzing of how people are acting and such as opposed to evidence and networks. Of course, I'm not one to talk since apparently my instincts and guesses are. . bad. . . but still!

Going on a limb there, but THIS. Sometimes I'm afraid that despite it being the CRUCIAL element to any mafia-style games, the concept of analysis and critical thinking is becoming an endangered craft in here.

Dac Vin on
    edited February 2009

Going on a limb there, but THIS. Sometimes I'm afraid that despite it being the CRUCIAL element to any mafia-style games, the concept of analysis and critical thinking is becoming an endangered craft in here.

Good thing I'm actually good at analyzing stuff. And this was my first phalla :P

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Good game guys, good game. We rhinos were as stealthy as crocodiles. Crocodiles with horns.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah. People were pretty much shooting around in the dark on the village side the entire game.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Of course, one could also argue that players have refined their 'bad guy' game to be able to fly under the radar a lot better.

Wildcat on
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Of course, one could also argue that players have refined their 'bad guy' game to be able to fly under the radar a lot better.

I made an entry for the rhino picture competition with "FYI I am a Rhinoceros" as an implicit reveal, but no one picked up on it. If we were flying under the radar, the radar was pretty damn high.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
    edited February 2009
    I'm not necessarily talking about this game in particular.

Wildcat on
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I spent my first few days entirely focused on the TMNT mini. I was the last mafia for a number of days, and by the time this one started I gave it only the briefest thought. Once it had my attention, I was never able to really get an accurate picture going.

One Phalla at a time for me from now on, with nice little breaks in between.

zenpotato on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It was a fun game, but I'll admit - I got lost near the end.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I spent my first few days entirely focused on the TMNT mini. I was the last mafia for a number of days, and by the time this one started I gave it only the briefest thought. Once it had my attention, I was never able to really get an accurate picture going.

One Phalla at a time for me from now on, with nice little breaks in between.

But you won! :P

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    WOOO Rhinooos

jackisreal on
    edited February 2009
    Daius wrote: »

I made an entry for the rhino picture competition with "FYI I am a Rhinoceros" as an implicit reveal, but no one picked up on it. If we were flying under the radar, the radar was pretty damn high.

I just completely read past that; it was a rhinoceros announcing "I am a rhino", so I didn't think anything of it. :|

Darian on
    edited February 2009
    Darian wrote: »

I just completely read past that; it was a rhinoceros announcing "I am a rhino", so I didn't think anything of it. :|

A rhino who was a spy.

Dac Vin on
    edited February 2009
    A rhino who was a spy who was a shepherd?

Wildcat on
    edited February 2009
    The game was missing a Rhino hunter faction.

Someone carrying a big hunting rifle.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The worst part is that we set up a "network" the day before the game ended.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited February 2009
    warban wrote: »
    The game was missing a Rhino hunter faction.

Someone carrying a big hunting rifle.

I'd be honest, the dynamite was a clear reference to Tintin blowing up a rhino.

Dac Vin on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tintin....

really?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    Tintin....

really?

He was a kind of a jerkass at the time. See, the rhino was immune to his puny rifle, so he had to exact vengeance on this anomaly.

Dac Vin on
    edited February 2009
    I thinking more along the lines of jumamji. With the hunting of humans and all that. :P

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Blatant statements like "look guys, I'm bad" are generally not suspicious because they are meaningless. The village identifies baddies through their actions. Who they vote for and what ideas about the game mechanics they support or deny. Generally suspicious behavior like messing around, not being constructive, or being borderline inactive are still not conclusive evidence enough to vote someone out.

You are suggesting that voting you out because you claimed to be a Rhino in a side game is fairly silly. Similar logic would have lead to B:L's death in the Pokephalla because the bad guys decided to name their group "B:L and the Evil 8".

The village spent most of this game trying to figure out how the mechanics specifically worked so that they could form a strategy for networking and identifying the spread of the conversions. 1 kill, 1 conv is simple yes, but not obvious to the village.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat