As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mormons are fucking prompt

• PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Have we regressed to dickwaving join dates here? Did we merge with the GameFAQs forum?

that is what i had been wondering

Early 2005, bitch, get that weak stuff outta here!

i mean, that phoney guy was so upset that i didn't know who he was, poor lil duder

I don't understand why you just had to mention the fact that you had no idea who he was

because how often does a dude you've never spoken to before try and chew your nuts off beyond all logical reason. the dude thought i made one mistake, and sat on it and cried for hours, it was so silly

Haha, boy you are dumb.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Quoth wrote: »
    religious =/= moral

atheist =/= immoral

am I supposed to say like "duh" to this

because seriously, duh

you'd be surprised, it is mindblowing how many people think i must be an amoral monster because i don't play make believe

munkus

Me Too! on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    "Killing is wrong unless the invisible man in the sky tells me it's okay." is why I am scared of people who say that religious people are more moral than nonreligious people.

Well something has to justify the military conflicts pre AD

We want your land and you won't move.

Marathon on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    fandy, you should have held out for one more round of bitter sexings, followed by sneaking out her window

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I stated before hand that it was one of those obligatory statements everyone makes and I recognize it will mean nothing to most everyone.

It's not obligatory, it's asinine. It's an insult to everyone else's intelligence.

Hell, I've got a friend who was born Mormon. Does that mean that I can go around declaring that Mormons are inherently flawed?

K, so I'm not all that great with words. Sorry.

The reality is that someone called into question wether or not I think gays are gross. I don't and the only way I can maybe back that up is to show that I have gay friends, who I care about, and continuously hang out with. Is there a better way to defend myself when someone is calling into question my non-bigotry?

You're a bigot. Deal with it.

You don't have to think that Gays are "gross" to be a bigot. The fact that you are opposed to them having the same freedoms as others is enough to make you a bigot. Your reason can be based on the bible, but that doesn't magically make you not a bigot.

The only thing worse than a bigot is a bigot who refuses to at least stand behind his convictions.

I want them to have the same rights. But I also want marriage to remain sacred as defined within my religion. So, my answer is a compromise giving them all the same rights but not having it defined as marriage. If, in your eyes, that makes me a bigot, then so be it I guess.

ObiFett on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lostwords wrote: »
    fandy, you should have held out for one more round of bitter sexings, followed by sneaking out her window

i would have, only she's in georgia and wanted me to drive down there in a month and yadda yadda and man fuck all that noise

bitch was mean

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Have we regressed to dickwaving join dates here? Did we merge with the GameFAQs forum?

i mean, that phoney guy was so upset that i didn't know who he was, poor lil duder

I don't understand why you just had to mention the fact that you had no idea who he was

because how often does a dude you've never spoken to before try and chew your nuts off beyond all logical reason. the dude thought i made one mistake, and sat on it and cried for hours, it was so silly

Haha, boy you are dumb.

WHY DO YOU FEEL THE NEED TO KEEP ON ABOUT THIS

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i am an antitheist

though i am also objectively a fuckhead

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I think the first girl I ever wanted to fuck was a Mormon

but it was just because I was living in Utah at the time those feelings first popped up that it worked out like that, it's not any inherent attraction to Mormon chicks on my part

she had tremendous boobs though

it's the special underwear

There was one girl who like liked me, and we talked on the phone like, twice, and hung out on the playground at recess a couple times tops

and she and her friends legitimately thought that meant we were dating and I was like "you Utah chicks is crazy, I ain't wanna be tied down to one of you, we're 12, bitch"

not, you know, in those words though

Grey Ghost on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    "Killing is wrong unless the invisible man in the sky tells me it's okay." is why I am scared of people who say that religious people are more moral than nonreligious people.

Hey, post-AD, too.

DarkPrimus on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Marathon wrote: »

We want your land and you won't move.

I'm in the mood for killing and you happen to be in the way, also you got cool stuff I want.

Hunter on
  • humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

but it was just because I was living in Utah at the time those feelings first popped up that it worked out like that, it's not any inherent attraction to Mormon chicks on my part

There was one girl who like liked me, and we talked on the phone like, twice, and hung out on the playground at recess a couple times tops

and she and her friends legitimately thought that meant we were dating and I was like "you Utah chicks is crazy, I ain't wanna be tied down to one of you, we're 12, bitch"

is that when you had your first child

humble on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I stated before hand that it was one of those obligatory statements everyone makes and I recognize it will mean nothing to most everyone.

It's not obligatory, it's asinine. It's an insult to everyone else's intelligence.

Hell, I've got a friend who was born Mormon. Does that mean that I can go around declaring that Mormons are inherently flawed?

The reality is that someone called into question wether or not I think gays are gross. I don't and the only way I can maybe back that up is to show that I have gay friends, who I care about, and continuously hang out with. Is there a better way to defend myself when someone is calling into question my non-bigotry?

You don't have to think that Gays are "gross" to be a bigot. The fact that you are opposed to them having the same freedoms as others is enough to make you a bigot. Your reason can be based on the bible, but that doesn't magically make you not a bigot.

The only thing worse than a bigot is a bigot who refuses to at least stand behind his convictions.

I want them to have the same rights. But I also want marriage to remain sacred as defined within my religion. So, my answer is a compromise giving them all the same rights but not having it defined as marriage. If, in your eyes, that makes me a bigot, then so be it I guess.

You want them to be exactly equal to you in every way, only you want to be able to control how they use language and practice their faith because yours is better.

So yeah, you're a bigot.

MrMonroe on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    humble wrote: »

Could be

I didn't stick around to see if she carried it to term

8-)

Grey Ghost on
    edited February 2009
    humble wrote: »

Dude, he was 12

He had 3 wives and 8 kids by that point

Hunter on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

Haha, boy you are dumb.

It's kind of what he does. If you'd have been around long enough you'd know that!

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Haha, boy you are dumb.

AND THEN BEL WAS THE DUMB.

seriously phonehand, shut the fuck up. you dumb.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited February 2009

If it has the exact same rights why call it something different when it's the same thing?

Marathon on
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

You want them to be exactly equal to you in every way, only you want to be able to control how they use language and practice their faith because yours is better.

So yeah, you're a bigot.

Come on now, separate but equal has a long history of working well.

Hunter on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Haha, boy you are dumb.

It's kind of what he does. If you'd have been around long enough you'd know that!

Working on it.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think its the Babylonian one? The line "That is which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour. That is the whole Torah; the rest is commentary. Go forth and learn."

I think its like Shabbat 30 or 31? I am terrible with the way chapters are set up in bibles and such

Man, I LOVE the teachings of Hillel.

You ought to read Pirke Av'ot, which mostly ignores the Torah, and instead just collects advice from the ancient sages. It is full of bits like that. My favorite line (which is from the same guy) is "If I am not for myself who will be for me? And if I am only for myself what am I? And if not now, when?

That is ridiculously cool, way to be, ancient sages

but I am still not 100% clear on what the Talmud is, I get that its a collection of rabbianic (? is that the right word) conversations and treatises, but why was it created, and who was it really intended for?

Oh man. This is the kind of question that I DREAM of.

The ultra-orthodox believe that the Talmud (sometimes refered to as the Oral Law, in juxtaposition to the Torah/Tannakh which is called the Written Law) was told to Moses on Mount Sinai, alongside the written Torah. This is, of course, crazy, but this concept is what justifies the laws within the Talmud being treated as divine law.

What the Talmud ACTUALLY is, is the transcription of debates between ancient sages over how to interpret the 613 biblical laws to apply to more specific facets of every day life. These kinds of discussions still occur today, of course, as new things happen all the time, and Rabbinical Law rulings are needed to determine how Judaism will treat them (for example, in 0order for meat to be Kosher, it must come from an animal which had split hooves and chewed its cud. With genetic engineering and other biological innovations, it is possible in the future that meat might be grown in a lab, rather than harvested from an animal. In that situation, is it possible for this meat to be kosher, even if it is genetically from, say, a cow, since the specific physical specimen never had split hooves or cud-chewing?)

The Talmud started out as the Mishna, which is the ancient Sages, from Roman times, discussing the Bible itself. Then there is the Gemara, which is Sages from the later part of that Millenium discussing the Mishna, in much the way that the Mishnaic sages discussed the Bible. The structure continues on with layers upon layers of commentary. This is why a page of Talmud has texts of varying sizes crammed in to it's margins, because when these commentaries were first written, they were literally penned into the margins. One particular Rabbi, called Rashi, always has his commentary written in the inner margin of the page, next to the spine. This is because he is so revered that it was decided as some point that if any rats should get in to the books, the commentary of Rashi was the most important thing to protect.

I hope that's a good overview.

Evander on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

If it has the exact same rights why call it something different when it's the same thing?

See now you are finally getting at why defense of marriage is dumb.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited February 2009

Seriously, this isn't the first time I heard a Mormon say something like this.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited February 2009

Because other people having similar religious institutions that are slightly different but earn the same respect from the government is super scary.

MrMonroe on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hehehe

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jews rock

Weaver on
    edited February 2009

See now you are finally getting at why defense of marriage is dumb.

target.JPG

Hunter on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Ready for the obligatory statement of the thread? Here goes: I used to work under a gay man and had two gay co-workers. We hung out ALL the time. They were good dudes. I have nothing against them as people.

My statement about the whole rights thing is fairly unfounded, it was just a logical statement based on what I was responding to. Based on your knowledge, I was wrong, seeing as how I do know nothing about the Establishment Clause (D:).

The reality is that the sacred institution of marriage is important to me and, apparrently, the majority of california. Since we live and dictate the laws of the country through voting, beliefs are going to creep into the legislation. Just a fact of life. So until the majority don't find it important, marriage will only be between a man and woman because of democracy. Now civil unions, that would pass in a heartbeat and give homosexuals the same rights. I say we try to make it a federal thing while we are at it.

Yeah, ok, lemme break it down:

None of that shit has any place in our democracy. You can see my last post for more on this, but here's the Establishment Clause issue:
    Congress shall make no law respecting any establishment of religion

What this means is that we can have no legislation which establishes a legal edifice surrounding something which is purely religious. If you're going to treat marriage as something which is a "sacred institution," and therefore a religious issue, then you can't have legal recognition of it. We still have legal recognition of it, because it's been around longer than religion has, and having the institution serves the common good.

You have three options: the first is to attempt to demonstrate that marriage is a religious institution in which case you must either concede that any church performing a rite of union and calling it "marriage" must have equal access or that your religious institution has no right to state recognition. I can't imagine either of these are very appealing.

The second option is to recognize that marriage is a legal institution often separate from religion and attempt to demonstrate that allowing gays to marry harms the common good or threatens the public safety, or at least is exactly neutral. Good luck with that one.

The third option, and the one recognized and espoused by the leaders of the anti-gay marriage movement, is to recognize that your views on the issue are utterly contradictory to the spirit and intent of the First Amendment and therefore attempt to enforce your personal definitions of marriage on the populace by changing the various Constitutions of the States or of the Union. There is no justification in our society for legislative control of marriage the way it is controlled now. If you must have your way, if you must impose your definition of the institution on the entire country, you're going to have to do it through the Constitution.

Good luck in the California Supreme Court, btw. Jerry Brown is going to kick the pants off of Prop 8.

edit: also I don't know how I missed it, but prop 8 wasn't legislation, it was a Constitutional [strike]Amendment[/strike] Revision. If it were a piece of legislation, it could never be justified Constitutionally, as I explained above.

This is good stuff. I really don't have an answer to it unless you want me to start bull-shitting, hoping I can refute it. I'm not as well versed as you are and I'm glad you put it in those terms. I now have lots of research to do. Thank you.

I do find the current definition of marriage to be religiously sacred to me. Seeing as how that is the case, I guess I need to find a legal/secular position in which to defend keeping that definition intact. My ideals are important as anyone else's and should be allowed to be represented through our democratic government.

ObiFett on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    evander can I ask you a question that you haven't dreamed of?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited February 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    Jews rock

Lenny Kravitz is proof

Hunter on
    edited February 2009
    I also want marriage to remain sacred as defined within my religion.

My religion had marriage before your religion ever existed. Why should YOU get to say what is and isn't marriage?

Hell, marriage was around before my religion too.

Evander on
    edited February 2009
    Hey Evander, didn't we nominate you for both "Best Forum Jew" and "Worst Forum Jew" at the same time?

And then decide it should just be the same award?

MrMonroe on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Hey, post-AD, too.

But to a lesser extent as nation-states came into being. Besides I was trying to more pointed statement without specifically naming parties.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited February 2009
    I do find the current definition of marriage to be religiously sacred to me.
    Good for you. Unfortunately the government of the United States recognizes marriages performed both religiously and secularly.
    Seeing as how that is the case, I guess I need to find a legal/secular position in which to defend keeping that definition intact. My ideals are important as anyone else's and should be allowed to be represented through our democratic government.

Yes they should, until they start infringing on the rights of others.

Marathon on
    edited February 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    evander can I ask you a question that you haven't dreamed of?

You can try.

I have some pretty freaky dreams.

Evander on
    edited February 2009

Seriously, this isn't the first time I heard a Mormon say something like this.

This school of double-think is not exclusive to Mormons by any means, of course.

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2009

Hey, post-AD, too.

But to a lesser extent as nation-states came into being. Besides I was trying to more pointed statement without specifically naming parties.

Oh.

Okay.

Wanna play L4D?

DarkPrimus on
    edited February 2009
    I do find the current definition of marriage to be religiously sacred to me.

Do you honestly think that it is okay to push your personal religious beliefs on other people through legislation?

Evander on
This discussion has been closed.