As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mormons are fucking prompt

• The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    i like corn

i love corn

vote for me and i may do great things for corn

The Otaku Suppository on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    corn syrup though is the bane of modern western society
    goddam corn lobbyists just... cornholing the food industry

DouglasDanger on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »

Here's the amazingness of democracy, though: I can vote and express my ideals through our wonderful government. Other religions are free to do the same, as are people without any organized religion. If it passes that marriage also means between man and man AND woman and woman, then so be it. The population of our country voted for it and it was because of their ideals that they voted that way. I won't throw a hissy fit and I will still be a citizen of this country.

So, like I asked you before, you think it's ok for a majority to deny rights to a minority?

I know you think it's great and that the whole defense of "they voted for it, I'd just accept it if things were different" is noble and everything. But you are looking at is as part of the majority and basically what you're saying is that if these people want to have equal rights their should just be more of them. Which is just silly.

I don't think its ok for the majority to deny rights. Thats why I have said multiple times lets give them all the same rights, make it a federal law, and unturnable while we are at it. Just don't call it marriage, it effs with my religion and what I believe to be an eternal principle.

So we should let your religious beliefs govern our lawmaking.
    Nope, but we should let the majority and their subsequent votes, which almost always ends up being based on their ideals.

ObiFett on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, this thread exploded.

What the hell happened here. Did it turn into a religious argument, as projected?

Yep, this thread turned to shit.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Here's the amazingness of democracy, though: I can vote and express my ideals through our wonderful government. Other religions are free to do the same, as are people without any organized religion. If it passes that marriage also means between man and man AND woman and woman, then so be it. The population of our country voted for it and it was because of their ideals that they voted that way. I won't throw a hissy fit and I will still be a citizen of this country.

So, like I asked you before, you think it's ok for a majority to deny rights to a minority?

I know you think it's great and that the whole defense of "they voted for it, I'd just accept it if things were different" is noble and everything. But you are looking at is as part of the majority and basically what you're saying is that if these people want to have equal rights their should just be more of them. Which is just silly.

I don't think its ok for the majority to deny rights. Thats why I have said multiple times lets give them all the same rights, make it a federal law, and unturnable while we are at it. Just don't call it marriage, it effs with my religion and what I believe to be an eternal principle.

Why are you okay with non-Mormon straight couples getting married?

Evander on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i like corn

i love corn

corn tortillas in every home

Faricazy on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Your still denying them equal rights. You are saying that they should be able to have the same rights, but they are not allowed to call it a marraige because you think it's special.

As far as how it "effs" with your religion, I personally don't give a shit, but I totally disagree. Marriage within the Mormon church would not change one iota if the government passed a law allowing gays to get married and recognizing it as such. A law such as this would have no affect on your religion at all.

But if you think it would, please tell me how allowing to people of the same gender to get married at a courthouse would affect you personally as a Mormon.

Marathon on
    edited February 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    is queermo like the 4th marx brother

no because I think chico should just be the new buzzword for gay people

Groucho
    Chicho
    Harpo
    Zeppo
    Gummo

Am I missing any of them?
    Karl

Yes, the Zero'th Marx Brother.

And also the funniest.

Evander on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    FUCK CORN AND FUCK YOU
    WHEATFUCKER!
    I roll with flour, BITCH

Clint Eastwood on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here's the amazingness of democracy, though: I can vote and express my ideals through our wonderful government.

America isn't a Democracy. It is a REPRESENTATIVE Democracy.

That means that we understand that it is a bad idea to make decisions based on the whims of the unwashed, so we allow them to elect representatives for themselves, who will then push the agendas of their constituency, while also being aware that sometimes their constituency is simply worng about something, and they need to go the other way on it.

Your treating a state matter like it's a federal one, Evander.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    corn syrup though is the bane of modern western society
    goddam corn lobbyists just... cornholing the food industry

fuck you

Marathon on
    edited February 2009

Nope, but we should let the majority and their subsequent votes, which almost always ends up being based on their ideals.
    This country has a rather illustrious history of the majority acting on their ideals, which others recognized as immoral and eventually overturned.

If you're blind to history then I don't know what else to say to you.

Faricazy on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Before anyone calls Godwin (which doesn't apply to me, anyway) the following IS relevant.

Adolph Hitler was democratically elected. The Nazi regime was popularly supported.

Democracy is the BEST system out there (or as Churchill put it, it's the worst one, except for all the others) but it is NOT without flaws, and the idea that just because the majority supports something it is the "right" thing DOES NOT ring true.

Except for the fact that Hitler was never elected. And the Nazi party only took 44% of the vote mostly due to anti-Communist hysteria and still didn't have enough members in Parliament to establish a majority. But please continue.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

well he IS a mormon

nah, just kidding obi.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Here's the amazingness of democracy, though: I can vote and express my ideals through our wonderful government.

That means that we understand that it is a bad idea to make decisions based on the whims of the unwashed, so we allow them to elect representatives for themselves, who will then push the agendas of their constituency, while also being aware that sometimes their constituency is simply worng about something, and they need to go the other way on it.

DOMA is Federal.

Evander on
    edited February 2009
    i like corn

i love corn

maize in every lawn

The Otaku Suppository on
    edited February 2009
    i like corn

i love corn

maize in every lawn
    a mexican in every backyard

Faricazy on
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    Jigrah wrote: »

I want them to have the same rights. But I also want marriage to remain sacred as defined within my religion. So, my answer is a compromise giving them all the same rights but not having it defined as marriage. If, in your eyes, that makes me a bigot, then so be it I guess.

If it has the exact same rights why call it something different when it's the same thing?

Because I believe that I have a Heavenly Father and Mother. That principle has extended to Earth through his children in which we are allowed to get married to continue that eternal progression. That union is a sacred eternal principle that is paramount to the happiness of God's children. As such, the institution of marriage should be defended on this Earth.

That's why it needs to be called something different. It may seem trivial to you, but its not to me.
    You realize you're not the only religion around, right? Other religions have marriages too? Which is no different than gays getting married?

In short, you're incredibly stupid.

Well, then what merit does the government have in getting anybody married? Why should it be regulated by the government?

Because tax laws need to address a union, as well as property laws, next of kin, inheritance, and many other legal decisions. It's just the nature of the beast.

Before the government had this system set in place, with many perks for getting married, it was handled by the church. Now, tax laws for instance, the government recognizes the benefit of married couples getting together to create families. The value by married couples and families is great, and the government wants to encourage that so it adds perks and incentives to getting married.

It's not just being nice, its a recognition of an ideal state for its citizens. Gay unions on the other hand, are not as valuable to the state, these citizens do not create a family. Their value to the government is diminished because of that.

So some things like tax laws do not need to be changed, but other things probably do for the continuation of wealth and powers of attorney etc etc. People don't just deserve intrinsically all the perks of getting married. The perks are set in place because a male/female union is much more valuable then a homosexual union.

Welcome to the year 2009. There are things you may think, but then you should shut your mouth and not speak.

How is a gay union less valuable? Is money earned by gays taxed at a lesser rate? Do we not accept gay dollars? Do heterosexual couples without children offer less to the state, and should they be banned? Seriously, just fucking think for a second before opening your pie hole.

Seriously then, tell me to the state, what is more valuable.

Average gay married couple or average straight married couple.

Jigrah on
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i swear to god everytime my internet goes out for one or two days a thread like this pops up and i feel like im missing something

tugga on
    edited February 2009
    tugga wrote: »
    i swear to god everytime my internet goes out for one or two days a thread like this pops up and i feel like im missing something
    you could not possibly be more wrong.

Clint Eastwood on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i'ma go read comics, i leave you duders with this in the hope that it will help your debate
    1234529249847.jpg

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited February 2009

my dick

Faricazy on
    edited February 2009
    Hitler was never elected.

I'm sorry, he was a popular appointed official.

Appointed legally through the Democratic process, though.

Evander on
    edited February 2009
    Belruel wrote: »
    i'ma go read comics, i leave you duders with this in the hope that it will help your debate
    1234529249847.jpg
    holy shit, i used to have this comic when i was a kid!

Clint Eastwood on
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Nazis were snappy dressers, though.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
    edited February 2009

Because they are people. They need the same rights and privileges afforded to everyone else by the government. I just don't want it to screw up something I consider an eternal principle and as such sacred: the family and marriage.

ObiFett on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

I want them to have the same rights. But I also want marriage to remain sacred as defined within my religion. So, my answer is a compromise giving them all the same rights but not having it defined as marriage. If, in your eyes, that makes me a bigot, then so be it I guess.

If it has the exact same rights why call it something different when it's the same thing?

Because I believe that I have a Heavenly Father and Mother. That principle has extended to Earth through his children in which we are allowed to get married to continue that eternal progression. That union is a sacred eternal principle that is paramount to the happiness of God's children. As such, the institution of marriage should be defended on this Earth.

That's why it needs to be called something different. It may seem trivial to you, but its not to me.
    You realize you're not the only religion around, right? Other religions have marriages too? Which is no different than gays getting married?

Well, then what merit does the government have in getting anybody married? Why should it be regulated by the government?

Because tax laws need to address a union, as well as property laws, next of kin, inheritance, and many other legal decisions. It's just the nature of the beast.

Before the government had this system set in place, with many perks for getting married, it was handled by the church. Now, tax laws for instance, the government recognizes the benefit of married couples getting together to create families. The value by married couples and families is great, and the government wants to encourage that so it adds perks and incentives to getting married.

It's not just being nice, its a recognition of an ideal state for its citizens. Gay unions on the other hand, are not as valuable to the state, these citizens do not create a family. Their value to the government is diminished because of that.

So some things like tax laws do not need to be changed, but other things probably do for the continuation of wealth and powers of attorney etc etc. People don't just deserve intrinsically all the perks of getting married. The perks are set in place because a male/female union is much more valuable then a homosexual union.

Welcome to the year 2009. There are things you may think, but then you should shut your mouth and not speak.

How is a gay union less valuable? Is money earned by gays taxed at a lesser rate? Do we not accept gay dollars? Do heterosexual couples without children offer less to the state, and should they be banned? Seriously, just fucking think for a second before opening your pie hole.

The same

Me Too! on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

what the fuck is wrong with you

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Because they are people. They need the same rights and privileges afforded to everyone else by the government. I just don't want it to screw up something I consider an eternal principle and as such sacred: the family and marriage.
    What about a boy furry and a girl furry?

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Neither you god damn idiot.

VisionOfClarity on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

So are gays.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited February 2009

well he IS a mormon

nah, just kidding obi.

Wait, what is this "history" you speak of?

ObiFett on
    edited February 2009

So Gays aren't people?

That CAN'T be what you mean.

Explain to me why Gay marriage is wrong WITHOUT relying on scripture and theology. What is the ACTUAL harm that it would do?

Evander on
    edited February 2009
    oh great, Jigrah has arrived to pinch a huge smelly loaf right in the middle of the thread.
    called it.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited February 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

So are gays.

Exactly.

ObiFett on
    edited February 2009
    women shouldn't be allowed to marry because they are aliens from venus

Faricazy on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

So are gays.

But they're different so it needs to be called something different. Or Obi will get all upset because it doesn't fit his personal view on family and marriage.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited February 2009
    WHAT IS THE SPECIFIC HARM IN ALLOWING GAYS TO MARRY?

Evander on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »

DOMA is Federal.

Prop 8 isn't though and that's what is being discussed. As far as I know the Mormon church doesn't have anything to do with DOMA.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    tugga wrote: »
    you could not possibly be more wrong.

how can i possibly be wrong about what i know im thinking

tugga on
This discussion has been closed.