As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mormons are fucking prompt

• Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    it doesn't matter, Waiter, because a meritocracy is a pretty fucking awful idea in the modern world

Are, are you using my job as an insult?

Hahahaha

You are 8 kinds of special arnt ya.

Whoa, Darth Waiter definitly did not have a post up, then suddenly it appeared, weird shit.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    umm, what?

yeah teefs, you elitist bastard, looking down your nose at us plebes

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Wait, what is this "history" you speak of?
    This country has a rather illustrious history of the majority acting on their ideals, which others recognized as immoral and eventually overturned.

If you're blind to history then I don't know what else to say to you.

It was a joke. I was sarcastically agreeing with the guy who said I don't actually know history because I'm mormon. :|

well, the mormon church does hide and bury it's history, but they can learn normal history just fine.
    Actually, most historical records are held at the church offices in Salt Lake and any Joe Schmo can go and look at them. It's less hiding and more not talking about it. Because really who is going to go to the trouble?

yeah, but why not teach some of the full real history in those 3 hours of church i went to every sunday, and the many hours of youth group, or even in those hours of seminary. when i started studying on my own, my bishop scolded me for it and said it was best to not dig up the past and to just concern myself with having faith in the church leaders

i mean, i really would have loved to have been told about how a prophet is on record at a congressional hearing swearing that he has never received revelation from god, and that he was not chosen by god and that the apostles were also not chosen through revelation, and more. instead they teach the opposite of that! and those are all very important points to know

No church in its right mind would do something so foolish. That would only cause fear and distrust.

exactly, and therein lies the joke about hiding history.

we could also talk about how joseph smith gave the priesthood to black men and women, and the prophet after him took it away.

It's really more just a lack of desire by people to research and understand. Which is fine. They are happy people. Whatever.

yeah, i have never been able to be happy with what is force fed me, i always want to know why, and when and what happened. it is part of the reason i never quite fit in during sunday school. i asked too many questions that the lesson books (which got repeated year after year after year) didn't have answers for

i was a perfect mormon kid where morals were concerned, and following the guidelines, but in temperment i just didn't fit at all

Not sure thats totally fair. My favorite word when I was young was "Why". I constantly and still ask questions. It was actually accepted and encouraged when I was at church. And one of the people I love touting to show that truly intellectual people can be members of the church is Hugh Nibley. Look the guy up. Or Henry B. Eyring. I gots more if you need.
    naw, i got plenty of it on my own, what with what happened to me in three different wards in two different states. and the president of the quorum of the 12 said himself that the three greatest threats to mormonism are 'feminists, intellectuals, and homosexuals'

i am all three to at least some degree

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait, what is this "history" you speak of?
    This country has a rather illustrious history of the majority acting on their ideals, which others recognized as immoral and eventually overturned.

If you're blind to history then I don't know what else to say to you.

It was a joke. I was sarcastically agreeing with the guy who said I don't actually know history because I'm mormon. :|

well, the mormon church does hide and bury it's history, but they can learn normal history just fine.
    Actually, most historical records are held at the church offices in Salt Lake and any Joe Schmo can go and look at them. It's less hiding and more not talking about it. Because really who is going to go to the trouble?

yeah, but why not teach some of the full real history in those 3 hours of church i went to every sunday, and the many hours of youth group, or even in those hours of seminary. when i started studying on my own, my bishop scolded me for it and said it was best to not dig up the past and to just concern myself with having faith in the church leaders

i mean, i really would have loved to have been told about how a prophet is on record at a congressional hearing swearing that he has never received revelation from god, and that he was not chosen by god and that the apostles were also not chosen through revelation, and more. instead they teach the opposite of that! and those are all very important points to know

No church in its right mind would do something so foolish. That would only cause fear and distrust.

exactly, and therein lies the joke about hiding history.

we could also talk about how joseph smith gave the priesthood to black men and women, and the prophet after him took it away.

It's really more just a lack of desire by people to research and understand. Which is fine. They are happy people. Whatever.

yeah, i have never been able to be happy with what is force fed me, i always want to know why, and when and what happened. it is part of the reason i never quite fit in during sunday school. i asked too many questions that the lesson books (which got repeated year after year after year) didn't have answers for

i was a perfect mormon kid where morals were concerned, and following the guidelines, but in temperment i just didn't fit at all

Not sure thats totally fair. My favorite word when I was young was "Why". I constantly and still ask questions. It was actually accepted and encouraged when I was at church. And one of the people I love touting to show that truly intellectual people can be members of the church is Hugh Nibley. Look the guy up. Or Henry B. Eyring. I gots more if you need.

They always just called me a 'spiritual' person. It was always wonderful coming up with a better point than what the bishop could muster.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    man I ain't even know what's going on anymore in this thread

Me Too! on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Mormon talk. Psh.

Wait, fuck.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_County

this place is hell on earth

Homeless on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Where did Jigrah even get the impression that I was referring to him at all

I think he missed Darth's post

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No but there are people already stepping up to the plate for Heinlien's fascist bullshit

I'm a reluctantly curious of fascism; it has an elegant simplicity to it.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

yeah i was wondering that too hahaha, you were talking about starship troopers

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No but there are people already stepping up to the plate for Heinlien's fascist bullshit

The book paints it as a really pretty picture, because it can cause it is fiction. It gives the impression that fascism leads to paradise and gives a couple of reasons how it would work.

Personally I think there is promise to a small meritocracy, maybe not for the US but for smaller countries, yes.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

it makes me very very sad.

That bolded phrase is an impossibility. :winky:

I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

No offense intended.

According to you, my cave is my religion and the outside is the "real world"

According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

*sigh*

I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wish Viv was here so we could bask in the glory of being right all the time.

This is good pizza.

Javen on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    you can't jerk it can you

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

At first I thought you meant Darth Waiter, so I scrolled up but there were no posts by him. Javen hadn't said anything and I did, so I thought you were talking to me.

After I posted I could see his post, not sure if I missed it or it just wasn't there, quite odd though.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    but all of this is useless masturbation anyways, anything i say won't convince you, because you have your eyes firmly shut, feeling righteous in your cause, and that what you are offering is fair.

it's the same with my extended family, i was furious when they donated money to the yes on 8 campaign, but their church leaders sent down the command, and they, like a nice little flock, go and obey without thinking it out logically. but nothing i say will make them look at it with a fair even view, they are far too skewed.

I personally don't feel like my eyes are shut. I am very much a free thinker (Philosophy major) and welcome any viewpoints. I don't think I have been unreasonable or illogical in my statements so I'm not sure why you are comparing me to sheep, but whatev. Regardless, thanks for the convo and for not getting pissed off. Most people just get all angry when having any sort of debate.

Of course you don't feel your eyes are shut. This is like Plato's cave. You don't know any better so you don't realise that what you see or think isn't at all rational or fair.

And you're obviously not a free thinker because you twist and turn in your logic to desparately cling to your backwards beliefs.

No offense intended.

According to me, your cave is this world and the outside is the truth I have learned through my religion.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

I take back the no offense intended because you're turning out to be a two-face hypocritical jackoff who doesn't want people who love each other to be able to call themselves a specific thing just because you don't like it when they do.

You're a bit of a prick and your stance is completely illogical, bigoted and childish in the extreme.

*sigh*

I'm cool with gays getting the rights of marriage. The concept of the actual word marriage as an instution is an eternal sacred principle TO ME. Its not that I don't like it, its that I know that happiness is only found through God's eternal principles (seeing as all he wants us to be is happy, his guidelines are in place to facilitate that happiness).

Please explain how that is hypocritical, bigoted, or childish. I can give you illogical, maybe, because the basis of it is based on faith.

You don't KNOW, you believe

Religion is faith. Belief in the absence of proof.

No proof no knowing sorry

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

naw, i got plenty of it on my own, what with what happened to me in three different wards in two different states. and the president of the quorum of the 12 said himself that the three greatest threats to mormonism are 'feminists, intellectuals, and homosexuals'

I saw you quoted that earlier in the thread, but you didn't give a link or who actually said it. I would love to read that talk.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    And so by forcing what you claim to know but don't on others you are

In fact

A bigot

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Jigrah wrote: »

At first I thought you meant Darth Waiter, so I scrolled up but there were no posts by him. Javen hadn't said anything and I did, so I thought you were talking to me.

After I posted I could see his post, not sure if I missed it or it just wasn't there, quite odd though.
    ninja200.jpg

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No offense intended.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

*sigh*

FOR THE LAST TIME, YOURS IS NOT THE ONLY FAITH AROUND, NOR IS IT THE ONLY ONE WITH A CONCEPT OF MARRIAGE

YOU FUCKING IDIOT

AGRGHIU

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No offense intended.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

*sigh*

If it's just a word, then why bother making laws about it?

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited February 2009
    i'm going to get a coronary from this shit

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So somebody wrote on some sign trying to get people to come to church on the quad today with a headline "Why does God care about sexuality?" that said "Marriage is a sacred thing, and gay marriage does not ruin it. Divorce makes a mockery of marriage."

And all I could think of was Kelso going "BURN"

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

No offense intended.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

*sigh*

I do "know". My explanation of how I know wouldn't be sufficient for you, however. Much like you trying to explain how salt tastes to someone who has never tasted salt.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Dibs on your couch and loveseat.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I saw you quoted that earlier in the thread, but you didn't give a link or who actually said it. I would love to read that talk.

boyd k packer of course

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No offense intended.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

*sigh*

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if the church were to change it's doctrine and suddenly say 'okay gay marriage is cool, now?' Religions change their stances on such things all the time, would it still be such an eternal principle if your religion said it was okay?

Javen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No offense intended.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

*sigh*

Because it is the church that marries you, not the government. You are wanting your definition of marriage to be the governments definition of marriage.

Here in America, pushing religion on the government doesn't add inches to your dick.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No offense intended.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

*sigh*

I do "know". My explanation of how I know wouldn't be sufficient for you, however. Much like you trying to explain how salt tastes to someone who has never tasted salt.

No you don't because THAT IS THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF THE DEFINITION OF FAITH YOU FUCKING TOOL

Me Too! on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I need a drink

First round is on me, who's in

Hunter on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The government's definition of marriage doesn't have to match your religion's, even if they're using the same word. If I tell you I'm stepping out to smoke a fag, do you immediately think I'm about to gun down Elton? Words have different meanings in context!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I didn't say I'll die!

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Me Too!

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hunter wrote: »

I need a drink

might as well get this friday started early

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    God you guys everyone knows the bible was written by time travellers as a way of relating atomic theory to ancient peasants through metaphor.

I mean for real, idiots.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hunter wrote: »

I need a drink

<raises hand>

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No offense intended.

So, right back at ya.

No offense intended.

*sigh*

You don't "know." Knowledge pertains to fact. As in: You KNOW that Joseph Smith founded the church. And that you KNOW the church teaches that Christ died for the sins of the world.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

This discussion has been closed.