As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer won't properly boot. (Problem Solved (It was the PSU))

JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
It's on for a few seconds then... off. I tried switching the volt switch in the back of the power supply from 115 to 230 and it now consistently makes it to the "Windows did not shut down properly..." screen, but any attempt to make it further than that still ends in a restart.

And that's it. No recent changes have been made or anything. This is a lovely brand new problem we woke up to this morning.

JamesKeenan on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    No? No one?

This is just very, very frustrating right now.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JK I'd love to help you. But I'm a Mac guy.

I'm going to ask the PC guy in my office if he's heard of it for you.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Can you boot into safe mode at all?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This sounds like a hardware problem related to heat or power. The only thing I would know how to do at this point is have a friend bring his machine over and swap parts out until we found the one that made it fail. First try would be the PSU.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Can you boot into safe mode at all?

Nope. After I hit enter to go into safe mode, it seems to stumble right away, and just shut down again.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Have you tried unplugging the computer and just letting it sit for a bit?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Uh, unless you just moved to another country I'd leave the voltage switch where it was.

Do you have another power supply lying around? My first guess is that the current one is fucked.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    If it's getting past POST I doubt it's a power supply.

My money is on a HDD issue or RAM. Possibly video card drivers. Unfortunately someone, somewhere, sometime ticked the little box that says "Automatically reboot on system failure" so we can't seem to get the error code before it reboots. The fact that you can't even get in with safe mode might lead me to believe it's hard drive.

It doesn't rule out a virus though.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It was the power supply. I put into that computer the power supply I'm using on my own computer right now, and it booted up and worked without incident.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Interesting.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Interesting.

Put the old power supply back in, and nothing.

Everything you said makes cents/since, and just compounds my worry that, "Well, maybe there is another problem, and PSU failure is only a symptom!" [/House]

But we'll see in a few days and 20-30 bucks poorer after we order a new power supply.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Interesting.

Put the old power supply back in, and nothing.

Everything you said makes cents/since, and just compounds my worry that, "Well, maybe there is another problem, and PSU failure is only a symptom!" [/House]

But we'll see in a few days and 20-30 bucks poorer after we order a new power supply.

When is a PSU failure not a PSU failure?

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Only thing I can think of that would cause a power supply to fail (barring production flaws) would be consistently getting bad power from an outlet or a huge surge of power. Just to feed your paranoia about it only being a symptom of larger problems.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, that's the thing... I can't really think of what could be... causing...

Hold on. Brb. I'm going to go try to switch power cords only.

JamesKeenan on
This discussion has been closed.